Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
was just wondering if yous could check the assetto corsa server

Its currently set to Peugeot 504s at the Nordschliffe; people were mentioning it as a potentially good combo last week so I set it up that way but we could change it to something else. I think I'm going to do the spreadsheet thing in the future but I thought I'd pick for this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I was thinking four laps; I wasn't sure whether three would be a little too short. Its a bit of an awkward thing.

So yeah: on Sunday we're doing the Peugeot 504s at the Nordschleife - we're going to be using the sports version, I'm just going to change the server before I forgot. I'm planning to start the race at 8:30GMT as normal; although qualifying will be quite a bit longer - I'm thinking of starting it at eight just to give people time to get a couple of laps in.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

here's a kickstarter that some of you might be interested in

dunno if its exactly going to be a pure sim game; but i don't loving care i just want a decent dirt track game

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

We've changed it to the Alfa GTA at the Endurance Nurburgring - I didn't have a great deal of time to try out the car/track combo, sorry!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

OhsH posted:

I think we should put the new lake louise v2 on the gooncar server :mrgw:

i've had a look, i'd be up for it if someone recommends a good car for that sort of track. I'll certainly add it to the server; it doesn't take that much time or space

Sunday's Assetto Corsa race will be the Lotus 2 Eleven GT4 at Mugello - I originally planned to use Vallelunga Club but for some reason my game always crashes after a few laps: if I fix it then I guess that it something that we could try in the future with a slightly different car. The race should be at 8:30pm GMT as usual: although I might have to move that slightly since I'm going to London for a job interview early next week so I'll be running around preparing lots of poo poo beforehand. I've also decided to make it so that when I switch over from the rolling practice to the race I'll automatically start a qualifying session from the point I switch it over to the start of the race: I think that's a sensible thing to do...

Race distance is TBA at this point: I plan to do one of the Saturday iRacing Daytona 500 races; after that I'll do a few laps and work out how long we need to be to make the race last roughly half an hour. If only they let you set up a timed race...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Let me know if that works.

Set it so that we have 6 Yellowbirds (all in yellow naturally), 6 GT40s (all in Gulf colours because that's how its supposed to be), six red F40s and 6 Countach's because I'm pretty sure that was the first car I ever drove in a racing game (Need for Speed 3!) so it has to be in. You'll need Dream Packs 1 and 2 I think to run it; plus this.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

we apparently had the same first race game

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

AC server is up from now: 50 minute qualifying, 15 lap race.

Sorry for the delay, been out all day!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

tomorrow's assetto corsa race is the ferrari f2002 at Imola: race starts at 8:30GMT as usual. Probably going to be 20 laps, I want to make sure that we get done with a decent gap between it and the iracing sebring race

Sorry for the late post about this: I had a job interview in London that I only got back from yesterday and I've felt horrible all of today

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

The AC server should now be up; its a 20 lap race at Iola using the Ferrari F2002. I'm using the latest version, make sure that you pick that up otherwise it could cause problems - last updated on the 20th of February so it might be a sensible thing to download it anyway

Its currently running a 3 hour qualifying session; the race should start around half 8 gmt as usual. password is unchanged; "torqueislife"

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 28, 2016

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Norns posted:

Uhh why does the V10 F1 car auto upshift for me? Nothing else does, and it still wants me to downshift.

They had auto up shifts in 2001-2, I'm pretty sure that some may also had versions of auto downshifts. Watch an inboard from that year, you'll notice it

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Eyud posted:

And it's free!

is it actually free; or is it free to play and you basically have to give them money to do anything?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

bUm posted:

So, Automobilista is already a full upgrade on SCE despite sounding like it's still being pretty actively worked on, right? Just wanted to confirm before uninstalling SCE and migrating over to the new one.

Yeah, pretty much. I think that classic Imola is missing for some reason and they'll need to port the mods over so if you use the latter or really like the former keep a SCE installation around

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

isn't automobilista hosting currently broken? it was at least when it initially came out; it might have been fixed recently

if you manage to figure it out then I'm totally up for some stadium truck fun although i'm probably end up spinning every other corner if it goes like every other time i've tried to drive the car. i'll put up an Assetto Corsa thing anyway: I was originally thinking of doing some silly rainbow road Lotus fun thing but if I'm not going to be there then putting up something that I really want to do seems pointless

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

njsykora posted:

Automobilista's disappeared from Steam because someone filed a copyright claim against it. Rumour is it was Formula One which is pretty scary.

emm, that's not great. I'm guessing that its the F1-like paint schemes on the Formula cars rather than the fake F1 cars themselves: otherwise every racing game that has a car inspired by F1 in it is at risk. If it the fact that they had a few cars that looked similar to an F1 car in the game then surely that must be bullshit?

e: although considering the source for the F1 thing I'm not at all sure it is them

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 30, 2016

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

they pushed out a patch that replaced a bunch of the F1 paint schemes, that seems to have been it

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

njsykora posted:

A bit of AI tweaking, sound tweaks and an overhaul of the dashboards on some cars. So the Marcas cars and Metalmoro no longer have identical dashboards and the Lancer dash has a ref meter that isn't completely obscured by the wheel. The new F1 default schemes are terrible though, mostly because I don't have my Lotus any more.

Mine hasn't updated yet, I could always send the original ones over to you if you wanted?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

i bet you that he's not a very good driver; and feels the need to spend hundreds on his rig to compensate

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'll try, although I dunno how tight for time we'e be before gooncar because of the shorter qualifying sessions and the odd reverse grid thing Vando's trying. I'll try and put it up anyway

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

we, err, aren't in second anymore

although we'd be better than we were if iracing randomly decided to not repair our car

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I, eh, may have to reinstall AC

For the LMP1 car mostly, since they own and more games should add one.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

If you buy me the pack of cars that I don't care about then I will :)

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Emm I think you'll find that there'll be a Wales/Iceland final

Talking of tracks, I think that car would be pretty good around Mid Ohio if there's a good version of that kicking around. But what isn't good around Mid Ohio?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Yeah whenever we've done SCE or Automobilista before the numbers were awful: we did a one-off kart thing that got about five or six people; then before that we got less than that bar that one time when we ended up opening a public server and raced with a tonne of crazy Brazilians in Formula Vees. I'd be up for it; but it only works if you get good numbers.

My dream thing would be doing a bunch of CART Extreme stuff; if Patrick ports over the ovals that he ported for SCE since that'd be the bit that I'd be good at...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

NR2k3 is still probably the best offline oval game; provided that you're fine to sticking with Stock Car stuff. The AI is still the best, which says more about more modern racing games than NR2k3 to be honest. rFactor has a bunch of oval content if you're into single seater stuff or weird stuff and not much of that has been ported to other games - CART Extreme has made its way to Automobilista, but the 1973 USAC mod or all of the British stock car stuff is still rFactor only at the moment. I've been messing around with the first of those for the past while, its a load of fun and very different to more modern oval racing stuff

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Most people who play NR2k3 probably haven't bought it for that reason

Hell, I'm pretty sure that's cheaper than the last time I looked

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Just checking: there's not a red pack car in that series? I'll try to be there to run it if there isn't (it'd have been hard if I was playing Cricket but they've called off the game due to a lack of players) but I can't get the red pack until I get paid...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Grand, I didn't think they'd have added anyone new in but it helps to be sure

I'm just saying that I'm using the Alfa, and if I can't I won't race!!!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'm pretty sure that is a Chaparral; they did loads of cool aero poo poo before F1 did it - the first wing was on the Chaparral 2E; the 2J tried the whole ground effects thing using skirts and fans and while it was incredibly quick it had a habit of breaking down a lot and was banned after one year - they also built the first ground effects Indycar in 1979 but that was the year after the Lotus 79 basically created the model that every other ground effects car followed until they were banned in 83 and you can tell that the 79 inspired Jim Hall and co a fair bit.

The 2E looks much nicer than the 2J: I actually quite like it.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

My graphics card seems to hate AMS; it didn't work again. I don't loving know why; last week it didn't work with anything while now it just doesn't seem to like AMS. Really annoying...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'm pretty sure it was, I'll try that next time if it happens again

It's working fine now though, maybe my computer just doesn't like Sundays...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

njsykora posted:

New Nascar Heat Evolution dev diary showing off the career, championship and online modes. More than anything else in sim racing right now I desperately want this to be good.

Same, an offline oval game that's actually good would own a whole lot

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Tyres on the skip shouldn't wear at all; nor will losing fuel help you a great deal since there isn't much in the tank anyway. The big thing that probably governs max pace is traffic and whether you get a draft more than anything.

Tyre wear in short races is a much bigger issue on ovals in Stock Cars just because of the car and type of track: you can sometimes lose a second a lap in the first ten-fifteen laps depending on the track and setup. Last Friday at Charlotte in the goon car race in the free trucks my call to take tyres in the first yellow (only after ten laps or so, folk were laughing at me at the time) helped a load: sure I was screwed up less by the dumb gently caress restart but they just felt like they made me so much faster than everyone else... On road tracks it's generally less of a factor because the cars eat their tyres a lot less; maybe in modern F1 cars but I dunno whether any games quite have the ability to model how bad Pirelli are...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'd recommend forcing the 69 Vintage cars, they drive slightly easier because of the wings.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I've fixed my poo poo, don't worry :)

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'd recommend making the Formula Vintage race quite short; since we'll probably all crash anyway. Also don't turn the AI on since they don't crash, and therefore will win.

Also make sure to switch to either Standing or Formation/Standing; we tried the latter last night and if it wasn't for the AI it'd have worked quite well, lets you have a bit of heat in the tyres and brakes at the start.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Why would you ever want to turn the co-driver off though? Like really you should learn to use him instead of the arrows, since that's both more realistic and make you quicker in time since you can focus on the road rather than looking for the arrows

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Ghostdog; I can't decide between either Spa or Road America - the latter I think would be more fun but probably easier to crash at, the former would also be fun but easier to recover because of all the paved run-off. You can pick either one of those two if you'd like!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Quick question about the Thrustmaster wheels; you can clamp them to a desk, right? Might pull the trigger on getting one after I'm done in Belgium; it'd be a decent upgrade from the DFGT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I'm interested in anything AMS after I get back from Belgium, probably the 15th