Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
meanwhile in assetto corsa:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DetailedWideeyedHoki-mobile.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I said come in! posted:

This isn't a mod?

*CSP 1.79, may or may not still be paid/experimental by now (dude paid $1 or something on patreon a few months back)

*Content Shaders Patch, part of Content Manager the mother mod for AC

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I've got some decent sim racing gear (Fanatec, Simagic) available after some recent upgrades, is this a good spot to list stuff?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Posted this in the VR thread but maybe people here might be into it as well

Dev confirmed it in a reddit thread, says not ready but they've been working on it since 2022

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

There's a hack/mod/workaround whatever you want to call it for the blown out gamma and bloom and stuttering in WRC.
I have no monitor at my rig and virtual theater sucks huge hog so I haven't tested it yet but dudes in my club and others
I've seen say it works pretty well

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/bloom-draw-distance-and-stutter-fix.64770/

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

bUm posted:

Seemed to help significantly, but not fully stutter free. Didn't use on a rally where gamma was an issue, but sounds promising because it was terrible on some Sweden/Mexico stages to the point it was difficult to even see where the stage was.

If this can fix a good chunk of the problems, it's really pathetic Codies didn't at least drop a hotfix--equally pathetic they haven't dropped a hotfix for Moza wheels which was also just updating an .ini file. Absolutely insane that there's community fixes that Codies could literally push out a 1 kilobyte patch that meaningfully help everyone not finding community fixes.

I figured it's either a really good or really bad sign. Good in that there's hope the fixes needed are simple tweaks like this, bad in that htf did they not already know this and implement it

Too bad there's no 'this one weird trick' that can make the trashfire UI any less of a cluttered piece of poo poo clickfest

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

bUm posted:

As I find my bearings again having not played a rally game in a year+, hardcore damage seeming less rough in my career than previously thought. Getting more clean stages w/ little to no damage and have been having the upper hand enough that I decided to bump up the AI. Likely in part due to hitting Rally Mexico with my put put lil H2 FWD and being like "holy moly this gear ratioing needs to be dropped through the floor" (default final drive is 2.00, I dropped it to 1.35 by the end w/ 1.00 as the lowest and still wasn't hitting top speed anywhere on the technical and mountainous stages) and remembered that some fairly minor setup tweaks can make the cars much more drivable than the lazy generic middle ground not good on gravel or tarmac default Codies puts on 'em.

Least that's the case with JWRC and H2 FWD--might feel differently again when moving away from among the easiest categories to drive... I can only assume Group B is a nightmare with hardcore damage. :laugh: :getin:

:hmmyes:

In related news, noticed a bit of an oversight by Codies: the manual wiper only does a single swipe... and continues to work that way even when it's raining so you have to repeatedly manually do it over and over or go into options and turn on the auto wiper assist. Prefer having auto wiper off because, like Dirt Rally before, it waits way too long to clean dust buildup off and is also focus breaking when it does it randomly.

Also: what in the world did they do for water effects? Graphically they are on par with like a PS1 game. You actually hardly need the wipers on when it's raining because only every 50th raindrop actually lands on the windshield and even then it's some weird 2D pixelated color splotch instead of a water-like substance.

I think rain on windows looks better now than DR2's vasiline smeared nonsense. Now it looks like when you properly apply Rainex on your windows, like any sensible person would do racing a car in conditions with the slightest chance of rain. The droplet patterns are also affected by aero, in slides they move different on the side moving into the wind vs away from it and it looks p true to how the different types of turbulence conditions react irl

Watersplashes however deffo some PS1 looking poo poo

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

8Nm is just not enough torque. I mean effects feel fine but there's nothing left over for doing the endstops, which DD bases rely purely on brute force to accomplish. When I 'upgraded' from CSW2.5 to CSL DD I started crashing a lot in rally in VR because I was continually losing physical track of the wheel as I'd blow past the stops during upset recoveries and hard countersteers

Alpha Mini while only 10nm on paper is <13 on a torquewrench and that's juuust enough to pull it off. Anything weaker doesn't work for me at least.

160 for Fana shifter/usb is a steal

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

VelociBacon posted:

Some people say it feels very similar to rFactor 2 actually.

Makes sense since they used code from it or was that the joke

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Fanatec's shipping antics gave me a reminder during the Black Friday sales why I dislike buying from them which saved me even more money than I was about to save buying from them. Was gonna get a new SQ shifter since they price was right but threw in a Q2 version of the stem for CSL to bundle with the NIB one I'm selling. Noticed the new stem thing was out of stock till >mid Dec which means they 100% would have charged me shipping twice since they're dicks about it when you ask them to hold everything till it's all ready etc along with any modifications to existing orders they are amazingly unaccommodating. Unironic thanks for the reminder :v:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If anyone is currently playing EA WRC, the recent patch introduced some lovely bug that causes crashes in Career mode, so check the patch notes ahead of time. It will be a month+ to fix it :eyepop:

The punchline was them calling that a hotfix with a straight face

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

TremorX posted:

I half-jokingly considered using my arduino and simhub to power heating coils with vials of antifreeze and motor oil so you can smell the car overheat. Could probably do rubber for tire spin, too. Not sure how you could simulate the distinct smell of burnt clutch, though.

Use a little gas firepit filled with Sharpie pens for the clutch/brakes

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

squirrelzipper posted:

AMS2 is so good in VR it's causing me issues. I can't race in ACC anymore - and I thought I had it looking awesome but it's just a jittery nasty mess compared to AMS2. But AMS2 doesn't have multiplayer. And I can't use a flat screen anymore. So I redeemed my iRacing coupon so see how it looks in VR - and it's about the same as AC - which is a compliment, looks good (not AMS2 good but) and is performant. Goddamn that's the only way to have good online VR GT3 races isn't it?

e; also rallycross in VR is dirty fun.

Rallycross loving owns in VR and honestly some of the best fun I've had in sims in a long time was grouping up with friends for some ACAT shenanigans... the only way to make rx in vr better is to do it in lovely old cars live with a squad :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Poor Asetek… they probably thought they were safe from competing with Corsair when they were branching into simracing hardware lol