Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On a whim today I bought a Logitech Driving Force GT off of Facebook Marketplace for $25. I used to have the old "bungee cord" thrustmaster that is in the OP back in the day that I used to play various PC sims, but I've been out of the sim game and the wheel game since the 90's at least.

Anyway, since the DFGT wheel supports PS2/3 and PC, I figured I would pick it up and give it a try. Its in great shape, and came with a wooden (but nicely made) stand.

I fired up Race 07 in steam, since it was the only sim I have installed at the moment (Project Cars is downloading as I type this, thanks random humble bundle from a year ago!!!), and went to town. It took a good 10 laps before I stopped falling off the track in every corner (switching from the shifter to the paddles helped), but eventually I was hot lapping around Brands Hatch in my Mini Cooper race car, trying to shave seconds off my lap time.

It......it was really drat fun. Holy poo poo I think I'm hooked! Hitting corners and nailing the downshifts was incredibly satisfying, as was shipping away at my very slow lap time and making it slightly less slow.

I still fall off the track a lot, but I'm having fun, cant wait for project cars to finish downloading! I know the DFGT isnt the best wheel on the planet, but dammit if it isnt a hell of a lot of fun, and way better than my bungee cord thrustmaster from back in the day!!

Thats my giddy car sim story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a database or resource somewhere of what settings to use with your wheel in various games? Playing race 07 last night I had all the force feedback cranked to the max because I want to ~FEEL THINGS~ but then I read about clipping in the first post of this thread and I'm sure I was clipping but I'm not experienced enough with the wheel to recognize it or effectively tune it out via settings.

So, long story short, is there a resource for "if you have X wheel and you're playing Y game, use Z settings"?

If it matters I'm primarily playing project cars and race 07/GTR

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Eyud posted:

For Project Cars you might try these custom FFB settings (only for the first game, he has a different set/thread for PC2 but it's not necessary in 2 imo) which adjust every car and try to avoid clipping and his post has some tips for various wheels as well. There's even a link to a tool that can test your wheel and figure out the best settings to use for a linear response if you want to really dial it in.

Thanks for this! Elsewhere in that thread I also found this linked, which should be helpful for pcars at least

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35147-Baseline-controler-FFB-values-Google-sheet-amp-FCM-Universal

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know what these pedals are? Of course I'm two days into this and already looking at building cockpits lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Eyud posted:

For Project Cars you might try these custom FFB settings (only for the first game, he has a different set/thread for PC2 but it's not necessary in 2 imo) which adjust every car and try to avoid clipping and his post has some tips for various wheels as well. There's even a link to a tool that can test your wheel and figure out the best settings to use for a linear response if you want to really dial it in.

I tried these last night. Is there any indication in Project Cars itself that it is using the tweaker ffb files? Or do I just assume it is?

I ask because this was also my first time playing Project Cars and my first time playing Project Cars with a ffb wheel, so I have no idea if it's better or not, my only indication would be the game itself telling me it's using the files.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone mind posting their diy cockpits? I need some inspiration

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a wheel and still square off all the corners. I’m 5 days in. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are there any games that have an easy mode for kids? Like auto throttle and brake? I have a feeling my son will want to try the wheel

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I haven’t even owned my driving force GT a week yet and I’m already building a diy Simulator.

The guy who sold me my DFGT also sold me a gaming seat for $10 so I’m building it around that

I started by jigsawing out some wood to fit the seat and make a base.

Then I braced it and put a base on it. Seat slides right in

Then I put the seat on a bigger base made out of butcherblock and 4x4’s. This shouldn’t move around hopefully

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

I love DIY sim pits :allears:

It’s true, my garage is messy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Getting there. Need to make some final adjustments to the pedal boards. The turnbuckles that hold the wheel stand up are rated to about 150 lbs a piece so hopefully my wheel doesn’t move at all

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tuo posted:

Looks good. I don't know how tall you are, but check if the wheel isn't too far away/too high so it's still comfortable after driving for couple of hours.

6’3”. I might have to cut that 4x4 down a bit to bring the wheel lower. We’ll see after I put some time in it. The wheel post can slide back and forth on the main horizontal 4x4 once the turnbuckles are loosened, so that I can adjust any time with a wrench

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They are driving force GT pedals so they will sit on the footboard? Maybe I’m not understanding what you’re asking? There is no clutch on the DFGT so it can all just sit on the right board and the left one is just a dead pedal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tuo posted:

uhm....you brake with left though...

Hmmm. I never do, in the whole week I’ve been doing this, haha. I guess I didn’t think of that. I’ll look to see if there’s a good way to mod this setup to put the pedal base in the middle, it might get awkward with the upright pole in the center though.

I guess that’s the beauty of a homemade wood rig. I can do whatever with it.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 17, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can still brake right footed. I have an idea to move the pedal base to the center that shouldn’t take a ton of fab work, so I’ll try it out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can someone explain iracing to me? What is the draw over other software that justifies its subscription cost?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finished up the rig tonight. I managed to put the pedals right in the middle and you guys were right, it is better using your left foot for braking. Nowhere was that more apparent than in pcars, where I started a new career, the kart races are so drat fast you need to left foot brake.

Excuse my messy sim pit

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 23, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How is the multiplayer for assetto corsa on PC these days? Pcars 1 is all but dead, obviously, but that’s the one I have. I’m kinda trying to decide between AC on the PC and GT Sport on the PS4 through the gimx adapter.

Also, anyone use the gimx adapter. Does it work well?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 20, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

AC is still played but there's a thousand fractured communities each playing with different mods.

Hmmm, ok, other than iracing, what’s the best bet for
Multiplayer?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

GT Sport is desperately trying to be like iracing. They even have their own SR and iR equivalents.

This is exactly why I’m building a gimx adapter to use my DFGT on my PS4 with GT Sport. I really like the idea of iracings safeguards against crappy drivers, but I don’t really want to pay a subscription.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got my DIY GIMX adapter built tonight. After a hair raising experience where I snapped the micro usb port off the arduino :stonk: and having to re-solder it on to the board, it works great. I have it housed in a generic project box, so its just a nondescript dongle.

The hardest part was:

1) Being dumb and snapping the USB port off with my caveman strength
2) Finding out just how loving many of my micro usb cables are charge only
3) Getting the PS4 controller recognized by my laptop. Turns out just plugging it in isnt enough, you have to unbind it from the ps4

Once I got it all up and running it was really smooth. Now that the work is done, next time it will be like 20 seconds of setup and I'm good.

The wheel is (as far as I can perceive) just as responsive as it is when playing games plugged straight into the PC. There is no lag at all, and no loss of resolution on the wheel or pedals.

I tried it on Driveclub, since I dont have GT Sport yet, and it works awesome. It took Driveclub from a game I actively disliked to a game I kinda like.

If you're on the fence, or you want to play GT Sport with an unsupported wheel, I highly recommend the GIMX adapter, works great!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Iracing without a subscription.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Which I already have and would have regardless of GTS. Iracing would be another subscription on top of that. For me it’s more about one less subscription.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Speaking of. Im phoneposting so I cant easily search. Is there a GT Sport thread?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just built this a week or so ago, AMA

peter gabriel posted:

What are people's thoughts on what seems like the red headed step child of driving games - Drive Club?
I got it with my PS4 ages ago but never played it, is it any good, what's the deal with it? No one ever mentions it :v:

With a Dualshock controller it is hot garbage. I found it unmanageable. With a wheel it’s actually pretty fun. It has a lot of content, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see it go really cheap now that GT Sport is taking the “big PS4 racing title” spotlight away from it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean, yeah it’s all subjective. I did not like the way it handles at all with the controller.m, but I like it significantly more with the wheel

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 23, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Automobilista is 50% off on Steam right now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you guys agree with this dudes top 3 vehicle physics games?

https://youtu.be/9WjCwlY2YIQ

1) rfactor 2
2) assetto corsa
3) pcars 2

I realize car feel is subjective, but I haven’t played any of those games.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s kind of what I thought. I want forza 7 because of the content it brings and I hope it provides decent physics and wheel feel (can I trademark that?) as well on pc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

While on the subject of forza, I really like GT Sport for its online, but the single player campaign is....bad. As is the track selection and the car selection so far.

I miss the “gotta collect em all” aspect of the earlier ps2 Gran Turismos. I also miss tuning terrible shitboxes into fearsome track monsters. Does forza provide either of these things?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Well it is sport. Its basically a demo for the real GT like MGS Ground Zeroes, but with lots of multiplayer to tide you over.

Have they confirmed this? I thought it was the mainline Gran Turismo and we have to wait another like decade for the next one

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao if you don’t have a 360 controller made of tungsten

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like the only legit alternative to Iracing right now is GT Sport, which, if you don’t have a PS4, doesn’t help you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AC for $12? Can’t pass on that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s not a “racing sim” but I picked up spintires in that humble bundle because it looks like good nerdy fun

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well for $4 I’m sure it will be fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Never stop driving. Problem solved.

Really though it is weird. I would up mounting a power stop to my cockpit and switching everything on and off with that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like the straight cut gear noise in GTS overpowers everything else. You can hear distinct motor noises under the gear whine but it’s tough.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Logitech wheels on sale for BF http://amzn.to/2BgtQIz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Will the buttkickers work with any sound source or is it a specific signal sent from a pc sim? What I’m asking is could one work with gt Sport or a non-pc sim