Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Tony Montana posted:

I've not seen these guys before. They look to have some beautiful stuff.

Check this out: http://www.ricmotech.com/default.asp

Discuss.

Their custom MOMO wheels do look pretty nice, but it would be rather important to know how much they weigh compared to the stock Thrustmaster wheels. I have used an authentic MOMO wheel with my T500rs (fitted with an adapter), but I went back to the stock steering wheel after a while, because the MOMO wheel was a bit heavier and so it muted the low forces a bit too much compared to the lighter stock wheel.

It was a really nice MOMO wheel, though. I'm keeping it until I can afford a direct drive wheelbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
If I crash my car in the simulator, I take my PC out to the back yard and smash it with a hammer and set fire to it and to myself. When I am discharged from the hospital I buy a new PC.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Largepotato posted:

You can move the driving view in iracing by adjusting the cockpit cam.

Never done it myself, so no idea what limitations there are on it though.

You can only move it within "reasonable" and "realistic" limits. Like if your driver is a bit tall or short, or is a hunchback leaning a bit forwards.

You can't move your view all the way forwards so it's as if your severed but still living head is strapped to the bonnet.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Now that we're talking about buttkickers: I bought a Gametrix JetSeat last month, and I like it a lot, despite the ugly gamer design ( https://www.gametrix.eu/ ). It is basically just a seat cover with eight small vibration motors placed right next to your back and your thighs and butt. But it really gives an extra level of immersion simply by having something that vibrates when the engine revs up or the tyres start to lose grip, even though the vibration motors are small and are probably something you could find in plastic toys.

I got it because I don't have room for a permanent rig with a race seat and buttkicker, so I have a foldable wheel stand that I can use on my couch and that can be easily moved away when I have guests. So the JetSeat is pretty handy as a butt vibration device that can be hidden away on short notice.

PC Sim Racing - Grown Men Talking About Butt Vibrators

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Right, but I need my setup to work on the pc and PS4. I’d do it if there were some reasonable way to pipe the fanatec pedals through my T300 base

Well, there is, or rather was, or rather will be again sometime... http://www.basherboards.com/CPX (currently discontinued while a new version is in the works).

I got one, but haven't been using it for a long while, so I can sell it for a reasonable price if you want it. Just PM me if you're interested.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Sergio Loro is a fella who's doing the Lord's work. May God bless him and his loved ones.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Trip report: I got a Clubsport v2.5 yesterday. Have used a T500RS for the past 5 years. When I took some of my favourite cars for a spin with the new wheel it felt like putting on new and expensive headphones and listening to some of my favourite songs while smoking weed. Suddenly soooo much depth and nuances and transcendent profoundness.

So yeah, this wheel is friggin' dope, man!

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Trip report part 2: Have had my new Clubsport wheel for only two weeks now. It already has an issue where the steering wheel loses connection every time I turn left of center. Paddle shifters stop working and the LED display goes blank until I turn right again. And I specifically avoided getting that McLaren wheel which is apparently afflicted by some gypsy curse. I have the BMW wheel, but I suppose the issue is with the wheel base.

So yeah, this wheel is a total bummer, dude :(

PS: Will be very grateful if anyone can recommend a racetrack that has only right turns.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

GhostDog posted:

Before returning make sure the USB plug is securely in on the wheel side. I had issues with it being pulled out/down by the weight of the cable and movement in the setup. I have it taped down.

Edit: And check the torx(?) screws inside the rim around the connector, those were loose in of the rims I got.

Thanks for the advice. Cable connections was the first thing I checked. I have checked the screws and they are pretty tight, except the small one in the centre of the connector. Tightening it actually made the issue much worse! So I guess the problem is located somewhere in that region.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Yeah the quickrelease is locked tight and the rim feels very securely mounted. I'm going to record a video of the problem and submit a support ticket on Monday. I'm hoping the connector is a spare part you can easily replace yourself, so Fanatec just needs to send me a new one. We'll see.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Or race with your socks off if you got abrasive pedal pads.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Trip report part 3: My downstairs neighbour came knocking late at night because my wheel was making too much noise through the floor (she wasn't mad and we're on pretty friendly terms). This never happened with my T500RS, so I guess I now have some solid testimony that the Clubsport wheel has a bit more power (BTW I haven't RMA'd it yet because I'm waiting for Fanatec to email me the return labels, which has so far taken them a week to sort out).

So now I need to dampen the noise somehow. I have a hardwood floor, so I can imagine that kerb and crash effects will be heard downstairs... Perhaps some sort of mat under the wheel stand. Has anyone had the same problem and have found a good solution?

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Thanks for the suggestions! It looks like Soborthane products aren't quite available in Europe. I blame Trump.

As a quick fix I got a very cheap camping sleeping pad that I cut to size so it makes a double layer under the wheel stand. Maybe it will become a permanent fix - I might grab Dirt Rally 2.0 during the Steam summer sale so I can really put the padding to test.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Qmass posted:

Wales DLC came out for Dirt Rally 2.0 today... if anyone still plays it.

"Not playing it yet" is the case for me and perhaps a lot of other Oculus users.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Mr. Powers posted:

Racing sims and Beat Saber are all I use mine for. Everything else I've tried feels like a bad tech demo.

Flight sims and Elite Dangerous are okay too. Though you might need a Rift S/Vive Pro in order to have a decent enough display resolution to enjoy flight sims, and you might need a keen interest in big balls of rock/fire/farts in order to enjoy Elite Dangerous.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

a mysterious cloak posted:

On topic, is the VR in Dirt Rally 2.0 any better? Last time I tried it was when the VR option had just been released.

It has improved a lot. I can crank up most graphics details to OK levels and get quite smooth performance (GTX 2070/Rift S).

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
It's not good.

It's great.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
It's a fundamental law of nature that there will always be nice things that will greatly annoy some racesimmers/flightsimmers/trainsimmers.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Bikernieki is lots of fun and the forest setting is really nice. Especially in VR.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
"Welcome to another edition of The Sim Racing Garage. I'm Barry Rowland. In this episode we'll take a look at this Phillips Shaver I got off Amazon because I badly need a haircut. So let's get to it!"

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

NtotheTC posted:

How dare you sully the dulcet tones of Barry Rowland. His reviews are incredibly detailed to the point where I fall asleep during then but still, mans a legend

I only notice his ever increasing hair length at the start and the end when he's in front of the camera. The rest of the time he's the simracing book at bedtime uncle Barry.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Buy the Premium ERS upgrade: Pass start and collect 100 Electro-BoostPoints you can spend on the next lap.

Wait, that's how it already works, isn't it?

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

njsykora posted:

I'm just gonna post the legendary rig of Glenn McGee, who won a competition on iRacing and is now a Mazda factory driver.
https://twitter.com/racermcgee/status/668445452254232577

If you're starting out in sim racing please remember that a leopard skin seat is mandatory. You will never be accepted in the sim racing community without one.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

tater_salad posted:

Speaking of AC..
Is there some known fuckery with the Controller profiles being saved. I save them but it seems like I have to remap everything even if I load my saved setup after re-launching.

I've had this issue for as long as I can remember. But mostly just with my paddle shifters and the throttle.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
I love how the classic Donnington went through that narrow stone arch, and I imagine that concerned drivers would ask "What if you go off track and miss the arch?" and the race director would reply "Yes that would be rather bad, so you're advised to not do anything of that sort." If drivers insisted that it was unsafe, then you'd add a few bales of hay to ensure that complainers would burn faster and suffer an extra crispy death.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Didn't it return some time ago when the Pretend Racecars dude left Slightly Mad Studios? Or was he fired - I can't remember. I only remember there was some Ian Bell related drama I didn't really follow because I quickly lose interest in Ian Bell being slightly or moderately crazy and causing drama.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

slidebite posted:

Does anything like this exist as a USB controller? I haven't been able to find anything.

I'm not sure if you're just looking for any kind of handheld USB controller with a wheel you can turn, but the Thrustmaster ESwap XR Pro lets you swap one of the thumbsticks or the dpad for a mini steering wheel:
https://www.thrustmaster.com/products/eswap-xr-pro-controller-forza-horizon-5-edition/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

VelociBacon posted:

For any of these I think the main thing is like... What is a new one doing that iracing isn't doing?

If it is relased on consoles then that would be the answer. But it looks like it's a PC only title for now, so it will be pretty interesting to see how well it sells when buyers ask themselves "So what does it have that I don't have in any of my sims?"

I don't think it can be long before Motorsport Games keels over and dies.