Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I need help with my Logitech Driving Force GT :( My desk has a thickness of 1.5", but the clamp on the wheel can only go to 1.4" see the problem with this? I am not sure what my options are, but it needs to be able to clamp to my desk. Failing that, what is out there for good sim racing wheels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Outlaw Mailman posted:

Just pop the little plastic part off the bottom of the clamp so it's flat, my desk is 1 5/8" and it works fine.

:worship:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whoops, yeah that is not the sign of a company that is doing well financially I suppose. I don't expect that game console will ever come out either. I mean, I never expected it would, but probably even more so now. At best we'll just get Project CARS 3 but that is not at all a bad thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My thought has always been that I want iRacing to at least let you keep playing your purchased content after your sub lapses, but only on test laps. They can even take away the free tracks and cars if they want, make you purchase that again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its been awhile since the OP was updated, but I was curious if there are any new racing sims in development right now? I know there's Project CARS 3.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was wondering if someone could please help me find a power adapter for a Logitech GT Force racing wheel. Mine no longer works I think and is the reason why there is no force feedback.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saw this and thought it was a very interesting court decision that could potentially change the face of racing sim development https://www.gtplanet.net/call-of-duty-legal-victory-20200403/

the tl;dr of this is that the car manufacturer AM General sued Activision for not asking permission to have their military vehicles in Call of Duty series. Activision argued in court that what they did was artistic expression with the sole purpose of creating a realistic simulation of warfare. The U.S. court accepted this argument and that it fell under Activisions 1st amendment rights. So what this ruling essentially establishes in my opinion, is that game developers of any kind, do not necessarily need to ask permission and pay very costly fees for licensing. As much as I don't like Activision, I see this as a win for game development.

The one catch to this is that the use of a car manufacturers logos may not hold up. But I think the courts explanation on their ruling possibly covers this? In that since Activision is not in the business of physically selling cars, its a moot point and they are okay to do this. They don't have the AM General logo in their games though for what that is worth.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 8, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Completely insufferable in his opinions, and stating the absolute obvious for which no one else cares about, spoken like a true sim racing fan. :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

$100 season pass for an unfinished game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The DLC only mentions 5 tracks. That is an extremely hard sell for an Early Access game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Project CARS 3 defense, Gran Turismo 7 doesn't have a release date, and Forza Motorsport 8 is no where to be seen. I wonder if FM8 is even coming out this year after all. Gran Turismo takes forever to develop, it will likely not be out in the next couple years. I think PC3 will be a really good game to tie us over until the two major racing games finally release.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel, and I am having trouble getting Logitech Profiler to detect my wheel. This is on 64bit Windows 10. My wheel works just fine with iRacing, minus force feedback, I don't get that at all. But other racing sims I am struggling to get them to work with my wheel. Is my wheel possibly broken in some way since Logitech Profile will not detect it? What about drivers? It shows up in Win10 USB / Bluetooth controllers, and Windows 10 shows that all of the buttons, and pedals work. So I am not sure where to go from here to trouble shoot this. I wish Logitechs own software would work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phuzun posted:

Are you using the Logitech gaming software? The newer version doesn't work on the old wheels, I've found. I need to use version 5.10 with my G27. May work with yours as well.

Do you know where I can find this version? I can't find it on the Logitech website. But yes, that is the software I am using.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The F1 2020 Schumacher Edition makes me both sad and happy. Happy to see so many classic cars represented in the F1 series, including Schumacher's cars, but also sad in that I really miss watching him race and what happened to him was tragic. :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bought! The season pass price is poop, but it sounds like it doesn't really matter, there is plenty of content and you can buy the tracks separately.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hopterque posted:

Hey so I've just played a few races in project cars 3. This isn't a sim racer, it's not even a decent arcadey game like the nfs shift games. Feels like it might be a rework or rebrand of the lovely f2p game Slightly Mad was working on a few years ago. It's honestly tragic, it doesn't even look good visually.

Requested a refund just now. This game is an absolute horrid piece of poo poo. I can't believe what I saw in the 80 minutes I played it. Everything I liked about Project CARS 1 & 2 was removed in favor of making something more like Need for Speed or the early Codemaster games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hopterque posted:

Also I genuinely thought the graphics settings were turned way down by default (it doesn't actually let you adjust your settings until you've done the first two races) but I went into the menu and it had defaulted to almost max settings and still looked just awful, like a game from 5 years ago or more.

I had the exact same thought. I was wondering why it was weird that the game would just start on the lowest settings possible, so I went to the menu when I was able, and then whoa it turned out I was at max settings. What the gently caress was Slightly Mad thinking with this game?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Question about the Logitech Driving Force GT Wheel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_Driving_Force_GT I am still happy with this wheel a decade into using it, with the exception of the peddles. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what my options are (if any) for buying a better set of peddles that will be compatible? Or can I buy new peddles from Logitech or another manufacturer that are USB (so it wouldnt plug directly into the wheel base like the default peddles do) and will work with my sims. I primarily play iRacing, and Project CARS 2.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:hmmyes: I am going to go with the CSL Elite Pedals. Won't want to get anything nicer since I am unable to do a rig. I wish I could! Maybe someday. iRacing will probably take care of the controls automatically, which is why I love it so much because it does such a great job with default controller configuration unless you're trying to do something very out of the ordinary. Project CARS II I am unsure about, will just have to buy these pedals and see how it goes, and ask for help here if I need it, but its controller support is generally good.

Thank you for the advice!

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 2, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shogunner posted:

No problem! Those will still be a massive upgrade. The DFP was my first wheel, which I actually bought off a goon in like 2010. Even the jump to G27 pedals was big.

Also, I'll leave this here because I thought a rig was impossible for me in my apartment. It's a folding rig that takes 5 minutes to get in or out of the closet. https://www.amazon.com/Playseat-RC0002-Challenge/dp/B009ZELZDS?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Something to think about next time you wanna blow some dosh on this expensive god drat hobby

Oooh! :stare: That is very cool! This could actually work for a VR setup, which is something I want to eventually do.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I get my Fanatec peddles today! :toot: After thinking about it more, I think I want to just make the jump to a Fanatec steering wheel, but I need recommendations again on what to buy. My main requirement is that I be able to mount the base to a desk. Looking at spending around $600 - $700 for the total package? But less than that would be really nice, its just that looking at what Fanatec offers, it doesn't look like I can get below $600 for any wheel setup.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The manual for the CSL Elite shows a table clamp is included https://fanatec.com/media/pdf/a2/26/8f/CSL-E-Racing-Wheel-PS4-QG-ENQrKJOsaS14Qg4.pdf

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

tater_salad posted:

I'm still quite salty I didn't pull the trigger on a CSL set when they had that amazing black friday sale. I had a wheel and was like ehhh I'm not going to upgrade.. but then my second T300 died of power issues and I was sad.

a CSL elite for 299 w/ 2 pedals was a p good deal.

Hopefully they will have something like this again for this Black Friday. I will wait until then now that I know this is a possibility.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay, had a chance this afternoon to setup my CSL Peddles, and realized that the package does not come with a USB adapter. :cripes: So won't get to enjoy these just yet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Got my CSL Elite Pedals setup finally, acceleration works just fine, but the brake pedal is not recognized. Double checked the connectors, no issues there, updated the firmware, installed the drivers, restarted, still no go. Not sure how to trouble shoot from here, any suggestions?

[edit]
Success! The cables are very sensitive.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 15, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want to find a good deal on a Fanatec base and wheel. I really want to get one of their F1 wheels, someday!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The problem with the G2 is that it's hardware is fantastic, but Windows Mixed Reality software is pure loving trash.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Despite the issues though, and I could complain about them for days, VR is still absolutely worth it. Once you actually get it working in your racing sim of choice, there is no going back.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Still on the hunt for a Fanatec wheel base, and steering wheel. Right now I am looking at these two options:

Base: https://fanatec.com/us-en/racing-wheels-wheel-bases/wheel-bases/csl-elite-wheel-base-v1.1
Wheel: https://fanatec.com/us-en/steering-wheels/csl-elite-mclaren-gt3-v2

Thoughts? I have the Fanatec peddles, is there anything else I would need?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you for the feedback everyone! Unless there is something really negative about the 1.1 wheel base, i'll be ordering that once the Elite McLaren GT3 wheel is available. I am going with this one for the price, and that I can clamp it to my desk.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I decided differently on what I wanted. Beep boop ordered.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Fanatec order got updated with a tracking number last night. Now hoping FedEX picks it up today. The delivery is suppose to be this Saturday, I sincerely doubt that is going to happen though since its coming from California, to Seattle and this is FedEX.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GhostDog posted:

Unless you want/need a "real" button box (for the haptic immersion or VR) I solved all my button needs for forever with an Elgato. It's a bit pricey for sure but very versatile, I've been using it for other games as well.

Elgato Stream Deck is cool! If someone would like a cheaper alternative, they do an iOS/Android app as well that is $25 a year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FedEX picked up my wheel from Fanatec, i'll get it on Tuesday if all goes well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Upgrade your wheel instead, that will be the better option overall in my opinion. Since you're doing VR, save up your money for when you can eventually buy a RTX 3080, you'll still need it even for iRacing, that sim is pretty system demanding in VR. Even on my RTX 2070, I have to turn a lot of settings down or just off altogether in VR. It's still a superior experience though and completely worth it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

tater_salad posted:

I was shooting for a 3070. I've found that my bottleneck was my CPU for iRaing honestly. I went from an intel 6600 to an AMD 3600 and ended up being able to pretty much turn on way more stuff and still get decent framerates at most tracks.

Nice! It might also depend on your VR. I use the Reverb G2 and it at least comes close to rendering 4K but it does it in 2 lenses, so the system requirements for it are steep as gently caress.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My wheel is on the FedEx truck for delivery tomorrow. Not surprised I won't get it today, FedEX tracking is always very optimistic. Just excited to have a new racing wheel, and one that doesn't look like a fisher-price toy like the Logitech wheels do.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

iRacing, and Forza Motorsport 7 are my go to racing games on PC, but i'm downloading Project CARS 2, Assetto Corsa, and Automobilista 2, so I should have the best of everything even if its spread out across multiple games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Richard Burns Rally is an absolute classic, but it's also an absolute classic. Very dated sim now, and there are way better rally sims out, and a new one or sometimes even two, come out yearly, so there's no shortage of rally sims currently to play. RBR gained its cult status because it came out at a time when the racing sim genre was on life support for awhile, but now the genre is the biggest its ever been and there's no shortage of current gen racing sims that will fit exactly what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The older school racing sims really hosed up the genre. They gave people the completely wrong impressions, and taught players bad habits. There are some really bad myths and misconceptions about racing sims and realism.