Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can anyone tell me why FOV adjustment doesn't work on my triple screen setup ? I see shadows and shading changing as I adjust the slider, but the view stays the same.

Searching Google brings up nothing. Only links on how to calculate FOV.

edit: LoL Oops, this was for Assetto Corsa

jonathan fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jonathan posted:

Can anyone tell me why FOV adjustment doesn't work on my triple screen setup ? I see shadows and shading changing as I adjust the slider, but the view stays the same.

Searching Google brings up nothing. Only links on how to calculate FOV.

Reposting this question because I failed to mention it was Assetto Corsa

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Norns posted:

Are you using for the on track fov adjustment?

When the car is in the pits I move my mouse to the right, there is a vertical task bar thing with a bunch of widgets I can put on the screen (Sorry I might not be using the correct terminology). One is an FOV adjuster, when I increase or decrease the value, it moves around some shading on the track, but the view stays the same. As a crutch I've been moving the seat position way back so I can kind of see a bit, but it's zoomed in way too far for my liking. I understand correct fov, but I'd also like to at least see the tach/gauge cluster a bit.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GhostDog posted:

Isn't there a separate rendering mode and FOV app for triple screen? I think I read something like that when I looked into triples for a second. Maybe you're using the wrong one?

I have no clue. Do you mean specifically to Assetto Corsa ? With iracing the fov adjustment works.

Edit: You do have to enable "surround" via the nvidia control panel, if thats what you're thinking of.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can we get a discussion going on DIY driving cockpits ? I'm going to start building one out of lumber.

-Is insidesimracing's forums the best place to get ideas for designs ?

-How important is side bolstering for seats ? Since there aren't actual g-forces I suppose it's not too important but I'm not sure what sort of seat to go for. Since I don't have much in the way of junkyards where I live, I'm thinking of maybe shipping in an actual race seat. I had RCI nhra spec seats in one of my racecars and they seemed decently comfortable.

-Triple monitor stand, How close is too close to your face ? I'm thinking having the center screen almost touching the steering wheel would be best to get the widest calculated FOV.

On a side note, I currently push around 85fps average on the AC benchmark with triple monitors with a GTX 960 card @ medium settings and 1080p resolution. The monitors are only 60hz capable. Would stepping up to a better card and 144hz monitors offer a better experience ? I am thinking of upgrading to a VR ready machine, but may stick with triple monitors because I get motion sickness easily.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Super trucks is really hard. While I'm sure they're a handful, I doubt they're THAT tough to drive on pavement.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

njsykora posted:

I've yet to see a super truck race where someone didn't spin, roll or both so I'd say they're exactly that tough to drive on tarmac.

True, and the guys racing them are some of the top driving talent in the world. I mostly have an issue with the power oversteer, The trucks have somewhat of a longer wheelbase than an average racecar, However usually when I lose the back end I cant recover it.

What techniques are you all using to keep that rear end end behind you ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
EmptyBox and Frankie1080p are the only good videogame streamers because they have personalities and dont do the annoying radio DJ thing that most of them do.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Uhg, I have a hill climb event in 2 weeks and haven't worked out all winter. What game mode in dirt rally should I use to build up some muscle memory and get my reflex times back ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've competed in endurance kart racing in a 3 man team, and posted quickest lap of the month at the local indoor polished concrete track.

You don't need to be strong, but holy hell does some conditioning go a long way. Lat pulldowns or chin-ups and abdominal crunches as well as a tricep workout will probably help your lap times towards the end of the race more than practice or car setup.

Also some "core" style twisty motion workouts. I hate the term core workouts but I was in very good shape doing delivery work 10 hours a day plus downhill mtn bike several times a week and after those endurance races I could feel every muscle in my sides that weren't used in my other activities.

Hell I bet you racketball would get you prepped mentally and physically for racing.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I got my vr helmet shipped in. I asked in the main VR thread but didn't get a response.

Can someone tell me what to aim for in benchmark frames per second in 2d so I can get my 90fps in VR ? Or should I just benchmark in VR with the helmet off ? I won't be able to benchmark while watching as I'll probably puke.

For example, I average around 255fps in Assetto Corsa at 1080p. And max frames around 350. Will that translate well to VR ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah it's double pixels for frame buffer (and this headset is 1440p) plus double geometry and post processing. I'll have to experiment.

I'm running an over locked gtx1070 and a i5 7600k @ 4.8ghz.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Parallelwoody posted:

You should be fine for just about everything, just don't crank up supersampling.

Thanks and nope I never use super sampling. I don't even really like AA.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tuo posted:

You don't like SS in VR?

I don't know. I haven't tried VR since 1992 or so. But I don't use AA or supersample normally with triple monitors.

Edit: for clarity, I just got the headset shipped in. Haven't tried VR since playing dactyl nightmare when I was 12 or so. But I am sensitive to motion sickness from videogames.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 3, 2017

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I with Tourist trophy on the PS2 wasn’t the pinnacle of motorcycle sims. I mean, I’m happy we have it and all, but no other motorcycle sim has nailed the controls and feeling of riding quite like TT in my mind.

It’s also too bad that there are no good motorcycle controls out there (because there are no sims, vicious circle and all) and also that riding a bike effectively is so dependent on your body positioning so it’s extra hard to simulate in a satisfying manner.

Well that’s my gripe for today.

There was a motorcycle racing game at the arcades back in the day that worked well. Same game engine as super monaco grand Prix. You sat on a bike and leaned it to turn, and the handle bars counter steered to lean the bike. I was probably 6 or 7 when I played at Chuck e cheese.

Anyways, one could build a setup using a tilt controller to control it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There was a superbike game. Early 2000's like maybe 2002 for pc that was pretty good. I wonder how well it has aged.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pretty sure tourist trophy was the only serious bike game ever and it was hard. Like, dirt rally is Mario kart compared to tourist trophy.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ergonomics wise. Do you chaps like the formulas style sitting position, the normal passenger car position, or the touring/rally/nascar car position which is upright with the steering wheel right up close ?

The formula style would allow for better twitchyness, passenger car style whatever. Touring/nascar style is going to allow for more strength for sawing the wheel. Probably less fatigue on longer races.

About to build a cockpit now that my VR is up and running. Trying to decide which to do.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for the seating suggestions. I think I will go the gt/nascar route with the wheel on the closer side.

I'll be using a factory seat from my wildcat 1000x which is pretty comfy while still somewhat sporty. I also might go with our company logo and colours for the colour scheme. We own an indycar team in real life so I'll be able to get some stickers and such to make it look neat.

Edit: lol "we" being my boss owns an indy team. I don't own poo poo.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 8, 2017

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Which games have cars from the Schmidt-Peterson racing team ? Specifically looking for the Oculus livery.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

njsykora posted:

Schmidt Peterson is just an Indycar team, so any game with a modern Indycar (rFactor 2, iRacing, PCars 2 officially, AC and AMS through mods) someone will probably have made that livery as a mod.

Yeah Rick Peterson is my boss, so I was hoping to see an in-game car with the oculus colours. The new cars mostly have other liveries with a small oculus logo. But the original livery was specifically oculus in orange and black. Some searches show it in iracing.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gonna put on the VR helmet now that my cockpit is kind of finished. Whats the private assetto server ? I can't find the thread.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Would an Intel i3 NUC with 4gb ram be up to the task of running as a assetto corsa server ? I can do 15mbit/sec uploads and it's wired into a gigabit network locally. It would be a private SA server.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I did the same thing last weekend. https://imgur.com/a/CvnMF

seat mount is temporary. I just kinda tossed it together without any plans or measuring. I ran out of long screws so I stopped. I'll use a router to round off all the corners and then I might use either box liner or plastidip to finish it. And possibly do a stitched leather wrap on the "dash".

The space in the front matches my core v21 case footprint. The walls are not dirty those are dirt under the lens of the camera phone.

Click the imgur link for the build steps

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gonna play it in VR, build my own SIM riding cockpit from a kids rocking horse. And I'll pose my realdoll™ on the back seat.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yup. Actually the bars should allow you to counter steer. That would actually be kind of realistic. Put pressure on the handlebar in the opposite direction should make it lean over, and it would be spring so that it wants to return to straight up like a real Moto.

Also just to clarify. MotoGP is an entire leap above the top tier of Isle TT. Kind of like going from touring cars to formula 1, except a smaller performance gap.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My Lenovo WMR headset has been as low as $139 on sale through Microsoft store and matches the Vive pro's resolution. The lenses aren't the greatest but the comfort and tracking is just fine.

I still can't see why one would go with a Vive pro over WMR at the price.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm not sure what the current price is on the Lenovo but I think it hovers around $200usd and comes with the hand controller things.

But the fact that you just plug in a single usb and hdmi and play is a huge step in the right direction Vs setting up the lighthouse stuff.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah the prices are all over. Windows Mixed Reality is the platform with different manufacturers following the spec. Lenovo is the cheapest and then Samsung was the most expensive. Samsung was $400 recently with 1600p resolution (I think).

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can someone find me the assetto Corsa video with music playing and a bunch of the drivers riding scooters or just flying down the track ? It was part of the first post at some point but I guess was removed.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nope, it was way more action packed. May have even been a gooncar montage. Possibly with danger zone as the soundtrack but I can't be sure.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does dirt rally work natively with steam vr or Windows MR yet ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So this thing I assume just does tilt and rotating... If you move side to side I would assume it doesn't do that ?

My WMR setup, when I first got it before some patches would lose the 6 axis tracking and fall back to just rotation/tilt. And for racing sims, that's 90% of what you need and I could totally live with that for $50.

Thanks for the trip report. God bless godless China.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It feels very similar to 3d movies as soon as I move my head when only tilt/rotate is being tracked.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s way more immersive than a 3D movie in my mind. It’s not just a projection of the game on a virtual wall, it’s entirely surrounding you from every angle.

Oh yes, I agree. My statement was that with a tilt/rotate only tracking, if you get up or move side to side , the effect it has is similar to a 3d movie when you do the same thing.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GutBomb posted:

I think he’s getting hung up on 3D movie (like stereoscopic, which are also viewable in their somewhat intended function in VR) but you mean 360 movie.

No I meant 3d movie, like in a theater. If you get up or move your head, the image follows your head, just like the limited tracking on those simpler headsets (and WMR when tracking breaks)

But whatever it's hard to explain without a live demo.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I want to run a private racing server for goons. I've asked before but nobody was interested really.

What would get the most use, AC ? Project ars 2 ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just put a few touristfarhten laps at the ring with my vr/sim rig.

The server had no autoclutch rule. Which sucked because my DFGT wheel doesn't have a clutch, and neutral dropping the 787B makes it easy to stall.

Can anyone tell me which settings allow me to do supersample AA or whatever it's called ? Even with my Lenovo headset I get a lot of shimmering and aliasing. Not sure if I should be using the supersample slider within AssettoCorsa or if there is another setting somewhere. The slider in AC doesn't seem to do anything.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tuo posted:

Are you running it via SteamVR?

Yes. But I solved it myself after posting that. Apparently steamvr now has settings for SS AA in the menu. I have a job coming up that has to be done at night so I stayed up late researching the issue trying to get ready for graveyards.

Edit: but I still woke up at 7am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haven't had a chance to try it yet, with a 1080ti and a 7600k cpu, both overclocked, what's a good value to start with ? Some YouTube video said you won't notice a difference over 2x and probably won't notice anything over 1.6x