Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Nice OP, well done. I particularly like the FOV section :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The fov talk never needs to happen. If you want the details it's in the OP. There is no argument, just some people wanna see the footwell and enjoy trees wizzing past. You ca do whatever you like, steer with a mouse if it makes you giggle.

You won't win races in iRacing, but you might not care.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's a cool idea. Cars that handle differently and look like nothing else, tracks in old configurations and some aren't around anymore. There is a ton of content you could do which isn't in any other game all with glorious new tech. A game where I could run a F1 season but without playing with aero or 7/8 gear ratios and blah blah.. Just 5 gears and some straightforward suspension settings. None of the Twitter poo poo like you find in PCars, actual newspaper clippings and soundbites from radio programs. Retro styled images of these old cars, pretty girls and simple jumpsuits and helmets.

This all sounds like a cool idea to me, I'd buy it just because it brings something so novel to the table.

edit: phone posting is hard

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 12, 2016

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh I don't know anything about the project. Just saying I would like a game like that.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like a fully fledged career mode too, I want to drive against Jim Clarke and Graham Hill. I want Colin Champan to approach me midway through a season and talk about some flimsy, crazy thing he's developing and do I want to test drive it? The sound effects could be amazing. So much of Fallout 4's charm is the retro styling, right down to listening to music from the era as you're walking around in power armour.

I'd even kinda want a H pattern shifter for it, paddles just wouldn't feel right.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah triples! Oh wait..

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Um my T500 pedals are quite nice, thanks.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I had a look and njskora is right.

That is them, in both of the modes.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Something like 500 bucks. Go look at pics and you'll see. It's bigger and badder

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hey gang, I've been doing other poo poo but I have some news. After going to Thailand and driving some rental karts they had I decided I really wanted to do this so I've come back to Melbourne (Australia) and spent last Sunday at the Victorian Kart Club. I've met some people and I'm jumping in, buying a 125 Rotax watercooled cart and the West Gate Bridge track will be my home.

it's going to be about 10k total for my own kart and other required stuff. It looked like a ridiculous amount of fun when I was there.

So I guess I'd say rather than build that rig on the previous page, I think I'm going to much prefer having a good quality wheel and pedals, a decent PC for all sorts of gaming and a single widescreen monitor (Rift when it comes).. then spend the rest on the real thing :)

What was the name of that coming soon kart sim we talked about previously?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I wrote up a reply before and lost it, stupid work computer.

OhsH posted:

kartkraft, and if you havent looked at kart racing pro or whatever yet you should.
buy a rib protector if you havent yet :V
also just curious, is there any active lo206 classes at that track?

Ah yeah, KartKraft. Does anyone have Kart Racing Pro? Is it good? I don't mind buying another game, I bought F12014 last night and I think I've driven it for about 2 hours and I've already got my 10 bucks worth.

Yep, rib protector will be bought. The person that told me to do that was a tiny woman called Barbara that I met at the club. My girlfriend jumped into her kart to sit in it and she was saying how you'll break ribs, particularly when you're small. Those seats don't have any padding! It's the 'wings' or edges of the bucket that cuts into your chest with impacts or even just pulling G for prolonged periods, I'm guessing.

That's Barbara's kart. That's a Rotax TaG 125, exactly what I will own. For those who don't know, TaG means Touch and Go.. so it's not a bump or push start. It's a button or key start and has a clutch just like a road car. No gears, but it's more sophisticated than the Yamaha 100cc karts. It's also water cooled as opposed to air cooled (rather than fins sticking out of the block). As for the lo206 it doesn't look like we do the Briggs and Stratton here in Australia. It's 200cc which sounds good but I saw engine prices and they seem very cheap, so I don't know if we're talking about the same kind of thing. I'm looking at about 3-4k for a new engine and about 2-3k for a second hand chassis and running gear. About 6k you can have a second hand kart and for more like 8-9k you can have a new one. These are race karts to current spec, so you can do all this cheaper than what I'm saying. I'm just 35 years old and work a good job and don't ride my bike much anymore and finally have the means and time to sink into something I really want to do.

You can take a look at the club website and they list the classes they do, but I don't see the lo206 anywhere.

tater_salad posted:

I use to have a track about 30 min away but once I could afford $75 a week to rent and race it was closed :( :(

It's looking like $220 a year for your Karting Australia license and then about $250 a year for the club membership. With club membership you get your own keycard and that track is open during daylight hours every day of the week. You can let yourself in at anytime and practice with no additional charges. Sounds very reasonable to me! On weekends and such there will be other members and you can get some head to head experience, while if you take a day off work and rock up on a Wednesday morning you'll probably have the track almost to yourself. Of course then you gotta pay for your kart, apparel, kart trailer and consumables (tires, fuel, etc) but hey.. it's motorsport after all.

Buddha. posted:

I raced shifter karts and Rotax classes in Texas and Oklahoma. It is expensive but stupidly fun. The grip and agility of a properly tuned kart is seriously impressive.

Really, wow. There was an 'open' class on the club day where anything went. There were twins (two engines in the one kart, like two Rotax 125s rigged up to throttle together and both put their power to the one drivetrain) and shifters. The shifters (everyone knows these from Project Cars now!) were nuts, 7 gears and going just so drat fast. Looked like crazy fun pulling on those gears, the guy driving it was backing it into corners too. People had all sorts of stuff in there, while the TaG 125 classes seemed to be where the serious competition was. But that's just this club, I think there is an National Shifter Kart Championship.

xzzy posted:

There's a good kart track about an hour and a half from me, but I never saw the appeal of it. I mean it's certainly a heap of fun, but for that kind of buy-in, why not just get a full size car and do SCCA or one of the budget racing series?

A few things. So the car you're buying for 10k and going racing in will be a piece of poo poo. You can't afford anything modern for that kind of money and particularly if you spend money on the go fast bits (engine, suspension, tires) you're certainly not going to have any left for rust free body work or anything else. Just the pricing of everything is mini-sized in karts.. I'm talking a race ready 'crate' style engine for 4k.. you want to buy a crate race engine for your full size race car and your 10k budget might get you just that. Then the complexity. Your full size car has suspension, something that's complicated and expensive and when you crunch it (which you will) it will either cost you a lot to put it back together assuming you can, or if you're paying someone to wrench on your racecar then you're not budget racing in the first place. Assuming I don't actually fold the chassis, having a big accident in the kart means replacing bits here and there which all bolt on and off in a way a full sized car doesn't.

It's about the reality of racing. You can have a top machine and be restricted only by your ability in karting, for a very reasonable price as a solo competitor. It seems like you need a team with a full sized car, not just financially but also to wrench on it. You need a pit or a lift to get under it, etc, while the kart I put on a dinky little trolley in my garage.

Then there is the performance. If you go to a club day and see real race karts go around (not rental karts) you'll see the pace, then to drive they don't handle like domestic family cars. They have a directness and feeling that is.. well it's like a kart and after you've railed through a fast corner a few times it's like nothing else. Sure you can go fast in a V8 Commodore but in the corners it's still a fat pig and you'll be babying it's characteristics.. while the kart will simply take everything you can throw at it. You just don't believe how fast this thing can take the corner, you need to just work up to it. The head to head racing is very tight, very competitive with people climbing all over each other.. while in full sized cars you've gotta take a bit easier because of the risk involved with tons of steel going in every direction.

Watching the 'cadets' (about 8 years old) racing, all very polite with no contact but putting in brutal lap times and fighting like dogs.. was amazing. You can see why they say 'it all starts with karts' because a kid that's done that for 5 years before they are 15 would have a sense of car control and reflexes that you could never catch up to.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 29, 2016

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ah ok, yeah I'm talking about 2 strokes and the Rotax engine comes with 4 or 5 jets for the carbie. You use an app on your phone that tells you the temp and air pressure which jet to use, which you put in the kart just before you go out.

I shall protect and cherish my precious ribs.

As for the rest of the thread, rather than spending a thousand bucks on that seat that Michael Schumacher may have farted in or a second video card for your sim racing rig.. have a look into karting. You might be closer to it than you think.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I played F12014 with a controller on my couch. I lasted about 4 hours.

- I just can't get into the driving with a controller because the lack of fidelity means cornering is this crapshoot totally dependent on timing rather than a thing you work with and can correct if you gently caress it up a bit.
- AI is just crap. It's so loving boring lapping with it, beating it or being beaten. There is no sense of accomplishment when you beat it and just a sense of frustration when it beats you.
- Car setup is some serious bullshit. Just look online with lots of people putting roll bars to 1 for front and back because, lol, this isn't in any way a simulator.

It's crappy poo poo gently caress and I don't recommend it at all. It's got the new tracks and spending 10 mins lapping before watching a round of the real F1 to learn the track is sorta ok, but for anything else it's a joke.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Theyre rubbish but the Codemaster F1 games do that. You and a friend can start a 'coop' championship and be teammates and compete. Two PCs, two copies of the game, two wheels.. basically two sim-racers can play a multi-championship. Split-screen or something that doesn't involve two complete setups and direct head-to-head racing sounds all a bit arcade console bullshit to me.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
In the ones I've played, quick changes of direction are usually the killer. They simulate leaning the bike over and it takes a long time of holding the steering at full lock to get it over and then if you miss the exact timing when you have to come back the other way you won't be over far enough in time for the apex. The leaning is sort of linear, while in real riding you can throw the fucker over hard rather than understeering into a wall (and superman-ing over the bars).

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It did work, the whole field is doing it.

It's loving dangerous, those long blades flying through the air would be lethal in a accident. They would have been aluminium too, so literally a six foot long metal blade.

It gets the wing up and out of the dirty air. They might even do it now of it was allowed.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I was playing with a controller and got sick of it, then I noticed that my wheel wanted 24v.. I was trying with a 12v adapter..

IT WORKS.

I am going to fire up some PCars and then dust off the iRacing subscription.

The monitor is my new x34 UltraWide (3440x1440) and it's an amazing gaming IPS panel. Excited!

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Whoa. I played a LOT of Sims on the weekend, it was loving great. I really, really missed it.

Firstly the Kart sim in PCars. I just love it. I played the PCars career for a while where I'm racing that 80s turboed as gently caress BMW on Ace, it's also a lot of fun and requires some complex throttle control. But the Kart sim is the sheer fun one for me, feels so drat good.

I signed up for the KartKraft closed beta, I lied and told them I was a karting pro and they asked all these questions about the chassis and engine I run. Luckily I'm all about karts at the moment and I just told them what would be a solid setup without going overboard.

After spending hours with the BMW at Imola I knew the track backwards, so I started going through some of the other cars with a track I'd refreshed on. That last Lotus F1 car, the 98.. oh my god. The power and insanity of the BMW (more infact) but with a refinement and grip like you only get from an open-wheeler. Then I found that California Highway track and went through some more which was fun.. but you can also see the 'limits' of the sim. The cars have to be relative to each other, so the F1 beasts need to beat the pants off the production stuff and so on. That results in the BMW 1 Series M3 they've got in PCars behaving like.. I don't know what the gently caress.. but I know it's not a BMW 1 Series because I own the real thing. It's so loving slow and there is no steering sensitivity and the whole thing was just annoying because no BMW drives like that piece of poo poo did.. and certainly not a coveted M3.

The Ariel Atom is the same, it's slow to turn and the power is weird. It's a supercharged V8 and weighs nothing, it should have stupid power and turn like an open wheeler (because it is one) but it's sorta gimped, no doubt so some other car in the line up can take the place it needs to.

Then I went to some Dirt Rally, which was really fun for about 20 mins. I just got sick of fighting the car and keeping it on the road, I was doing some bastard course with the Stratos which is hard.. but it was more being constantly in fear of writing it off rather than enjoy the control.

F1 2014 got a run on Sunday morning and I was fresh and ready to gently caress around the saturation settings, etc, to get it to drive properly. I ended up with something pretty drat good and really enjoyed getting used to Hockenheim again for the GP later that night. Nico you stupid bitch, btw, you can't block and turn into people like that. Go drive a V8 Supercar if you want to play dodgem cars, but in F1 we see that poo poo and the stewards will penalise you. No bodywork to cover your front wheels, we can see exactly what's going on. Anyways..

Then, finally, I decided to setup iRacing again. It took a long time, I've got a launcher that launches my background apps when the sim starts, the new DX11 is fantasic and the whole thing probably took me 3 hours fiddiling to get back to where I was when I left.

The SRF is at Lime Rock, what a welcome back! I did some testing, pulled a 58 and left it there until tonight when the track will change and I can pratice with real people.

iRacing still felt far superior, and that's just driving the SRF. There is a lot more going on with the FFB, a lot more going on with the track (details, bumps and ruts and stuff), a lot more 'room', I can save mistakes and such in iRacing where in other Sims its a loss of control. PCars was certainly fun, but without the online racing component and organisation like iRacing.. I can't see it as more than a fun few hours. There is no drive for me to return and get faster, really learn the sim inside-out.

As for the career-chat on this page, I would like to play the 'car upgrade' game too. It's not a Sim, it's a game where you World of Warcraft style level your car and come back and beat up the nasty monsters that hurt you when you were just level 4.. but it's sure fun. The racing is more 'I fitted this sick turbo and now I blast past them on the straights', which isn't really anything to do with any racing I know.. but I sure did enjoy Gran Turismo 1 when I was 16 or something.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yep, I'll have to buy it. It's the only one of the 'cool new' Sims I don't have.

What I would like is to drive with some of you on the forum here, not in iRacing but in PCars or Automobilista where we can set up some cool race (like I've been seeing you guys doing).

I'm in Australia though, I tried this in the iRacing thread and the reality is most Brits and Yanks are sleepy time when I want to stoke. I now have every Monday work-from-home though, so I might be able to do it Monday morning which is the Sunday night for UK/US.

I'll pay more attention to league races we organize and see if one suits.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
When? What time do they usually run, then I can convert it.

My timezone is AEST (10+ hours to GMT).

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
6am?!

Hrm. Ok so even a 10 PM start is still 8 in the morning for me. Any later and most people have to get up for Monday morning.

Yeah, this is where I got to last time. Oh well.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

eggyolk posted:

After many hours in Project Cars on the Vive the general takeaway is that every non-race-car behaves as if it's on ice and the entire experience hinges on clinching ones butthole as hard as possible on every turn pleading that the grip doesn't give way to some inescapable spin. Then you drive one of their F1 cars and it sticks like a mother, and you get pissed because that poo poo should be the opposite. I'm so sick of gingerly easing GT3 cars through corners like they're on ice skates while I can fling the gently caress out of an F1 on cold tires in the same situation. poo poo's way too stressful.

I have to say I think Project Cars isn't so hot in the cars department. Sure Gran Turismo had a million different makes and models, but how different really are they? Why do I need a Honda Civic in my game? Oh because it's the target market, you need shitbox cars because they people playing your game probably drives them. They want to see their Corolla in glorious game form.

It does depend on which F1 car you are driving, things like that Lotus 98 are from an era before we realized slowing down cornering speed promoted overtaking and made things more interesting. When you're hanging on for dear life, sucked to the ground by some crazy ground effects and loving enormous wings, with rear tires literally a meter wide, holding 200kph through the apex, you can't be thinking about doing anything except not dying.

So that 98 has all those things, it might even have ground effects. Alan Jones (the only Australian F1 Champ) won around then in a ground effects car, so pronounced was the effect that they removed the front wing because it just created drag as the underside of the car was producing more than enough downforce. Things like the massive wings, huge tires and sliding skirts will all have huge effect regardless of how warm the car is, combined with the physics of a F1 open wheeler (weight is as low and centered as physically possible, it's built from the ground up to be a track car while GT3 (or any production) cars wrestle with such problems as how big a stereo we can fit in and can we fit 4 people in it) mean it will handle lightyears better than any production car ever can in any magical configuration you can think of.

You shouldn't be easing the GT3 cars through corners either, they should be direct and solid and you should be able to hang that thing out without a care. That's what good suspension and taking all the weight out does, that's what makes it a GT3 car.

Then modern F1 cars have restrictions on tire size and wing size and all that, but then the things I spoke about with car design (low center of gravity, suspension design, etc) are now so advanced that F1 drivers will often talk about how easy to drive a modern F1 car is. Anyone that's spent time with iRacing will know the dichotomy of an easy car to drive is a hard car to drive fast, apparently dealing with torque on corner exit is difficult now (apparently the car will spin the wheels in 5th gear easily), but as for throwing it into a corner the car will deal with incredible Gs before breaking traction.

So yeah, in summary, Project Cars strikes me as more of a console game than a serious PC sim.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yep. Jones's championship was 1980. The year I was born :)

Oh. The fan car. The one we all know, the Brabham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabham_BT46

Jack Brabham won 3 championships. Sorry Jack, I forgot about you there, mate. AJ woulda set me straight :)

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 3, 2016

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

holocaust bloopers posted:

A gsync monitor is like going from a regular hdd to an ssd: unbelievably worth it.

That's a bit dramatic. It's not quite like that at all, but it's certainly good.

So I have the x34, which is Acer's Ultrawide running 3440x1440 with GSync. It's amazing, the biggest difference for me is the colour reproduction of the IPS panel vs the TN panel I had before. But the extra screen width certainly helps, I've been playing a ton of driving games and they've been great fun.

I did do some iRacing with it and it is better, you see more.. but it's not like triples. In one particular example I went side-by-side with someone into a corner and when later watching the replay that I just knew where the other car was from experience, the monitor wasn't helping me see it. With triples I can see more of an angle.

So it's good, much better than my 27" panel. But it's not as good as triple for width (better for everything else though, playing other games is much better) and won't be as good as a HMD for immersion. It's still the best monitor money can buy now (pretty much) and as anyone with a HMD will tell you, they still use their monitor a whole lot. So having a sweet, ultrawide monitor makes just as much sense now as is always did, HMDs regardless.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, there is a podcast with Renee Gracie on the ABC.

I had no idea who Renee was either, but she is the only female V8 Supercar driver on the grid. She's nice, classic Aussie girl, down to earth and good to listen to. Certainly get the feeling Renee's Daddy paid for Renee to get into the sport, she's also got a little bit of the spoilt daughter attitude too.

But it's a good podcast, hear about her running Bathurst last year alongside Simona de Silvestro.. about the 'cool suits' they have to wear and laugh about how important 'balance' is to a Supercar driver (getting the weight over the front wheels on turn-in or that loving boat will understeer out to New Zealand!).

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/conversations/renee-gracie/7730062

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Really. Really?!

The new Codemasters F1 game is good. You fuckers better not be yanking my chain, coz I would poo poo my pants for a good 'gamey' f1 metagame with damage and stuff.

It's like 50 bucks on G2A. Hrm. The wheel and everything is right here.. I was iRacing just before.

ALRIGHT

edit: lol codemasters. So I load it up, and holy poo poo it looks amazing, doesn't it. Started in Melbourne and it looks like it's on TV. I was playing 2014 last and it's a massive improvement. Switch it to elite, spend time using that menu I think I saw in Dirt as well.. I need saturation at 100 to make my 1080 degree wheel behave normally. Once I can see the guys hands in the cockpit turning in perfect unison with my own, I do some laps. It's great! Holy poo poo the power, that torque just wanting to shred the rears at any time. It's a lot of fun to drive.

I just went into the controls to bind the clutch and.. there is NO clutch. No clutch. I mean I know it's basically a rocketship, but it's got a clutch. lol.

edit2: I always ate up the 'pretend to be a f1 driver' bits in the career and this one is amazing :) I chose Ferrari first and there is ArrivaBene sitting there on the couch, I was a bit intimidated lol and decided to restart with a backmarker first.. and at Sauber I have the Indian woman (whose name I can't remember now) as my team boss as it should be.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 21, 2016

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Major Isoor posted:

Are there any Aussies in here, who still play games like Race 07? (or possibly Diry Rally...I've been increasingly tempted to get that, especially after the OP here said it's good)
Since I wouldn't mind having a drive with some of you guys, but last time I (accidentally) joined a US or European server, it was in Assetto Corsa and my ping was 5200!

EDIT: Here I am on Steam anyway, if there are Aussies/NZers who feel like a race now and again. Unrelated, but I'm also up for IL-2 and Rise of Flight as well, on the topic of sims! :v:

Yeah mate, Melbourne here.

That makes two of us, but perhaps there are more Aussies lurking.

A call to all Australians that can drive fast and perhaps don't think a V8 Supercar is all that 'Super' (ie you appreciate a family sedan hotted up is still.. a family sedan).

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Major Isoor posted:

:hf: Huzzah! (Arch-nemesis) Adelaidian here, so out connections won't be too flash, assuming we race - still, nothing we Australians (with our terrible internet infrastructure) aren't already used to! :v:

And yeah, I'm really gonna have to get Dirt Rally - although I'm hoping I can hold out until the next Codemasters discount day, as I just spent $50USD on an IL-2 expansion...

Heh, I was born in Adelaide and spent the first 30 years of my life there. I've got 120Mb cable, so speak for yourself :)

If there are more Aussies we could try a tiny, Aussie Gooncar.. because all these English and Americans enjoy racing when we are sleeping.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Dear PC Sim Racing Thread,

F1 2016 is really loving good. I haven't been playing anything else, I haven't logged into iRacing since buying it. I will write many words on this at some point, but let me just say right now.

Damage - Run it on Simulation and it's back to how it should be. I remember playing Microprose GP back in the day and the cars were more authentically fragile than F1 2014. I really dig it, it's one of the major parts of F1. F1 racing is about precision and unbelievable consistency, which in no small part is due to the cars exploding in clouds of carbon-fibre if you hit a kerb too hard (this literally happened this year). Rubbing is NOT racing in a F1 car.

Power - With all the driver aids off (on Elite) the power is fantastic. This insane thing uses electric power to explode out of the lower revs and then the two turbos kick in (with a whine I've learned to associate with awesome, the more you hear of the whine each lap the faster you're going) for the top end. I started by constantly putting the car in the wall, but two days later and ton of practice laps at Melbourne and I was just powersliding it like a Top Gear segment.

Graphics - It doesn't matter so much, iRacing is fine.. until you play F12016 for a while. It really draws me in and makes me want to keep lapping, the feeling of speed is well done. I feel my guts drop when the turbos sing and I launch out of a corner.

I can't really believe it still. Codemasters have made enough from these titles now that they're finally putting the resources into it we always wanted?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Heh, you're an Adelaide bogan that loves the Clipsal 500!

Just giving you some poo poo, mate :)

Seriously, iRacing has both a Ford and Holden Supercar and they're modeled well. There is a large Aussie racing community for that series and we've got our own servers, so really if you want to drive more stock cars that's pretty good. You're not going to find the Melbourne F1 track anywhere but the F1 game, but that's probably not so important to you. iRacing has Philip Island and Bathurst, also if you're a sim racing fan and you've never seen iRacing you really should. So I'd say go and take a look at that, take the V8 of your choice around Bathurst at high speed and that even puts a smile on MY face.

Project Cars doesn't have American family cars, but it does have European cars like BMWs. The online racing is a lot more hit and miss though, you'll need to find servers to play on and people that don't suck.

F1 is super aggressive, but you can't hit each other. If you mean you pretty much want to be able to nudge a bit without losing a wheel every time, then yeah you're looking for stock car racing.

But yeah, I'll easily say any Aussie that is interested in sim racing and hasn't given iRacing a go, should. They put a lot of resources into bringing us into the fold (giving us our own servers, putting Aussie content in there like our tracks and national series) and for online racing it's easily the best.

It's a monthy subscription, but you can get the first three months at a discount and pay something like $15 bucks. Don't get hung up on that, people go on about it being expensive but even if you work retail full time it's still just change. I brought up my payment history with iRacing, I've been racing since 2011.. bought ever car and track that took my fancy and I've spent in total like $250 over the last 5 years. It's nothing, particularly when I do something like drop $60 on No Man's Sky before reading about it.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Dirt Rally is totally amazing.

You need that, no question.

Actually between Dirt Rally and F12016.. Codemasters is kicking some serious rear end.

edit: yeah my local mates won't subscribe either.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, head to head with rally cars is Rallycross.. which you can probably do and I know I played a lot of it with the old dirt.

But head to head is really the domain of circuit racing, if that's what you want then I'd probably look to the tarmac. The thing with Rallycross is because there are usually big areas to the side of the track (or it's perched on a cliff or something), or there are trees there or any of the usual poo poo you'll find along a public road.. an off can totally end the race and write off the car. If it's just you, then that's your fault.. but if you got a bit of a bump on corner entry, even if the other guy didn't mean to, that's you done.

I've had some great Rallycross in old Dirt but it did always kinda end up in an argument, because the line between a bit of push and shove and you 'shitcunted' me (a term we came up with to describe deliberate contact, like using someone else as your brakes into a corner) is very fine.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've not seen these guys before. They look to have some beautiful stuff.

Check this out: http://www.ricmotech.com/default.asp

Discuss.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
T500 brethern! I thought you were all dead

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The whole 'buying parts' with a money system is a console thing, really. I'd just play Gran Turismo if that's your thing.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I loved it too.

Had some shitbox city car that ended up with a turbo bigger than the engine. I remember the TVR in the first one, that was a beast.

There was also the Pikes Peak Peugeot, with the huge aero. But that's where it all fell apart, as fastest laps were set by just keep the throttle taped on that thing and riding the barriers in corners.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCiWf7WEViM

Maybe this is old, but I just found it. Did we talk about RaceRoom in here at one point?

I love how Mansell is just 'no, it's nothing like a real car' and the sim racer nerd is 'no really but like the pedals' and Mansell is like 'no, it's nothing like it'.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The app I use with iRacing, or did, called ShiftTone I was using to give me a beep in my ear at the perfect shift point. Another thing it can do is give you a different beep when your brake is at 75% or 80% or whatever, so you brake the same every time. That helps with potentiometer pedals if you want to be super precise, but I'm at the point with iRacing that seeing my front wheels (open wheelers only) lock triggers the right response from me.

I spent hours this weekend totally breaking down and rebuildng my potentiometer pedals and you can get pretty drat competent with them if they're working well and you put in the time.

Think of yourself as a F1 middle-fielder, using a cheaper setup with less tech but sometimes being up to get right up there among the aliens.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So.. it's like trying to paint a canvas with a toothbrush. You can do it. It works. You'll even end up with something that is kinda like what you wanted.

It's still painting with a loving toothbrush.

hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just meant that there really is only one tool for driving, using anything else pretty much sucks. Even a cheap wheel will be a lot more fun in pretty much any title that will support it over a controller or keyboard or whatever.

edit: toothbrush wtf