Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Local track racing in the US every weekend is an $2K investment to win $300.

Might be an exaggeration but my local track pays $1000 to win for the modified division. 4 new tires are $250-300 a piece. Unless your a big money team you’re pissing away money. Race fuel is like $13/gallon too.

I probably have $2500 invested in iRacing with the peripherals and content I’ve bought, but that’s over 2 years.

Some of the local guys I know really well spend a thousand to make a hundred every weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

This is probably still a massive amount of fun to take part in, but yeah the monetary investment is a black hole.

I’d race any of the cars I watch every Saturday in a heartbeat. It’s gotta be a blast. But at the end of every race night when I go back it’s just mind blowing how much of a money pit it is. With just as little as some fender damage, or wheels that are expired because they can only race them so many weeks in a row.

I bought a front nerf bar for a friends modified last season, it was $75 which isn’t much but most drivers don’t have friends offering that.

The INEX Legends have a tire shortage, so bunch of drivers are looking for them for this Saturday night (opening night). Impossible to find. And they have to come from INEX I think. He promised 200 tires and yeah that’s not happening. There’s gonna be kids out there on unsafe tires trying to win $300.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I have the club sport V3’s and no matter where I place my foot I get the same response every time. It’s so reassuring and the reason I bought them after watching a dozen YouTube people ramble on about them.

I’d imagine this is the same for newer generation Fanatec pedals as well.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Never focus on the bumper of the car directly ahead of you or you will just follow them and do what they do. Look ahead where you want to go, be aware of what's going on 5 cars ahead of you so you can spot the wreck early and avoid it. Took me a long time to learn that and apply it consistently.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Can I pull off triple 27's with this setup or is my CPU/GPU going to hinder me? Solely iRacing.

Ryzen 7 3700X
32G
Radeon RX 5700

After I move in a few weeks and I have more space I want to upgrade my GT Omega to either accommodate 3 monitors or get a setup that has a triple monitor mount AND a seat (recommendations definitely welcome). I just don't know if my hardware is going to be able to pull it off.

I run iRacing fine with a single 27" and get over 100fps with how I have the graphics setup now.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Squiggle posted:

Oh, maybe this is good timing - I have a Ryzen 5 3600X which is worse but a Geforce 3080 Ti which is stronger, and last night I took my two 1080p 24" work monitors and rigged them up to try out triple-screen with my 34" in the center.

I get 100+ fps with high-ish settings and a full grid on a single 34" ultrawide, but three monitors was rough. It dropped me to around the mid-50s, with valleys down into the 30s. I didn't feel like dumping my graphics settings down because I am vain so I just took it all apart again, screw it. I'll wear the VR headset if I want more awareness.

Now got me looking at upgrading that processor, though...it's maybe time anyway.

Ok yeah this is kind of what I am expecting, even if I just take 2 spare 1080p 24" and stick them on the sides. I'd expect about mid-50's.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I'm moving in 2 weeks and don't have an active sub to iRacing so I can't test anything for a few weeks but I will report back when I do. I'm probably going to need a better GPU though so I'll start hunting around for one.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Need a new cockpit with a seat and triple monitor support.

I have a GT Omega Apex but I’d like a full setup.

And recommendations?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

A lot of the GT stuff is sold out or unavailable, so I started trying to find other brands. It’s not urgent so maybe I’ll wait it out.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Alright well all the GT Omega addons are out of stock, I’m not buying a full cockpit (I really want one though) so I think I’m going to buy a triple monitor arm for my desk and stick with the Apex for now. Probably start with a center 27 and 2, 24’s on the side.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

ssb posted:

Things get goofy if you don't have 3 identically sized monitors with the same resolution and I wouldn't recommend it. That said, it'll still work probably, in some games better than others.

Yeah, I'm aware it might get funky, I'll just run everything at 1080p for the time being.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Fellblade posted:

I ran iRacing on two 24 inch 1080p and a 27inch 1440p and it basically lined up okay, was a pain in the rear end to get working right thought.

Honestly, there are 27's out there that are cheap so maybe I just grab 2 of those and run all 3 at 1440. If that overloads my GPU then I'll drop down to 1080. I know I'm trying to half rear end budget it but I think I can make it work without dumping $1500 on a full cockpit right now.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

So I got the triples to work, after some tweaking of the ini files. They didn’t line up great but it still looked cool. My GPU can’t handle it though, it was running at almost 200F so I shut it down. I might just look into an ultra wide since that won’t require three renderings and destroy my PC and save me the money of buying a new video card.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

tater_salad posted:

What gpu are you using? My 1070 had zero issue running triples. And I think I used a 960 or something before that. Just turn down some of the fidelity.

(Note this was at 1080)

Running a Radeon RX 5700. It is nowhere near top of the GPU food chain at this point. I was getting 59FPS, and my GPU temp was ticking off around 198-200 so I shut it down. This was in a test session. Dropped into an ARCA practice with about 10 cars on track and it still ran smooth but I could hear the fans kicking into jet plane mode.

I had it setup for 1080P, followed some YouTube video on how to setup the DX11 ini files with the right numbers to calc for 1080P and it looked pretty good, there is no way it could have handled 1440. Now, I had a center 27" and 2, 24's on the side. Did it line up perfectly? No, probably a half inch off but I wanted to test things out to see if triples were possible.

I think my options budget wise are to go with an ultrawide. But, having done some reading last night I don't think it's going to get me much more of a FOV unless I go with a 49". I'd like to be able to see past the drat mirrors on the side of the car a little more LOL. 49" should not tax the video card as much I would expect since it's a single render even at a greater resolution..

In reality I'm going to need to upgrade my GPU.

Fellblade posted:

We’re you running it in windowed mode stretched over the monitors? That’s how I did it, I’m pretty sure that was a single render since I was running a 970 at the time.

Maybe? Not really sure to be honest.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

drat amd cards don't give a gently caress. if its already maxing the fan out, given there is sufficient flow through the case then the fancypants solution is to sacrifice a few percent of performance and undervolt

I went down a rabbit hole of upgrading my GPU, which would require a new PSU, so then I might do an ultra wide because in reality I don’t have the room for triples and this all led me to spending too much money so for now I’ll ride out the single monitor through the holidays. Will be watching for BF day deals though.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Shine posted:

Having used both triples and an ultrawide, the latter is a great compromise between fov and space, and 21:9 resolutions are also supported by most modern PC games without issue.

A 34" ultrawide is the same height as a 27" 16:9, so I wouldn't go smaller than that.

e: and if in the future you say "gently caress space" and want to get silly, you can slap a pair of 27" 16:9s on the ends of the ultrawide :pcgaming:

What FOV were you able to use with an ultra wide? I’m running a 60 FOV with a flat 27” and it’s honestly fine, I’d just like to get a little more on the sides and if an UW can do that, cool.

I’m probably getting a 34”, I can fit a 49 but not sure I want to spend that kind of money right now.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Probably going to pull the trigger on a Trak Racer TR80 Lite with a GT Seat and a single fixed monitor mount. Will be getting, for now, a 34" ultrawide to start. This allows me to build a rig with a better monitor and not have to upgrade my GPU and PSU to be able to enjoy it. Trak Racer has a BF sale going on now, about 15% off stuff, so all told it will be under $900 for what I will be getting.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

necrotic posted:

I just got a TR120 and I love it. I’d been on the fence for a bit but they got me with that 15% off everything deal.

What seat did you get?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

My TR80 was delivered today, my my that’s a lot of boxes. Already made my first mistake with the T nuts but it was early on and it should be a smooth build from here on out.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I’m debating selling my TR-80 Lite rig. GT seat (with sliding adjusters), casters (never used them), single monitor mount.

I don’t race very much and it’s taking up a lot of space. Biggest problem would be delivery? I’d probably only do local pickup (South Carolina region?) because for me to box this thing up would cost an insane amount.

I paid just over $1K in early 2023 for it. Not sure if anyone is interested.

Douchebag fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Ahhh poo poo sorry, forgot that.

South Carolina.

If there was interest I’d work something out to meet halfway or whatever.