Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Davoren posted:

Couldn't even write 12 headlines in the style of headlines.

This was my first thought too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Coolness Averted posted:

He's the president, who can stop him?

You wait till nap time

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

I like these boat names

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

I'm gonna monetize my own comedy writing now

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Davoren posted:

Yeah, this is basically how I feel but I didn't think pres babes would read an effortpost, thanks.

Same

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

It needed to be said though.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Lonos Oboe posted:

Yeah, he's a regular Andy Kaufman.

But Kaufman had talent though

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Did he ever mention how much the fee was?

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Lonos Oboe posted:

Nope, because he was never really going to pay anyone to write an article. It was all about playing Billy-big-balls and offering us mere mortals a taste of the Godhead

I've actually always wondered how much lowtax pays tbh. Also obligatory request for mods to change my name to Billy-big-balls.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Maybe we just aren't the best audience for your style. It's okay, it happens. (My style wouldn't fit in here either tbh.)

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

And trust me, I've been there with my own life. Just take a step back, reassess things, and dump the work that isn't fulfilling/is too much of a mental overload. I hate writing and editing for content mills, and I love writing bits and sketches. Once I started writing more of that for my comedian friends, I ended up being a lot happier. Dumped all the listicle poo poo I was writing and focused on what made me happy. (And also, this is nothing compared to what I'm used to seeing in a writer's room.)

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Asterios posted:

I had a loving blast writing that last Palpatine article. I stayed up until 4am, and I was really jazzed. When I woke up, it had already gotten a ton of Facebook likes and it hadn't even been promoted by me or the site, which meant that the harcore SA audience read it before the normies woke up.

But then you look at this thread, and people are calling it a huge piece of poo poo -- which is totally their right -- but I think this thread can be a bit of an echo chamber. I mean, it's literally called, "President baby needs to stop."

Not everything I write I'm proud of, because not every joke works, period. I'm a stand-up as well, and sometimes you're just not gonna get the laughs no matter what you do. But when I get lucky and knock out something I like, it makes me really happy.

You're gonna have to get used to this kind of thing. Writers' rooms are more brutal than this thread is. The best advice I can give you is not to take it personally. You might want to look at changing your style a little (for example, the graphic posts fall really flat with me; the jokes just seem lazy and rushed.) I did like the Palpatine article, but it came right after Zack's, and that's a really hard standard to match.

It might take a while, but I think you'll figure it all out.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Asterios posted:

I've been in a shitload of writers rooms! I've been doing comedy since I was 12. Nobody can match Zack, he's like, the funniest guy on the internet.

If you guys just want a thread where you can poo poo on me in peace, I can totally leave. Like, what do you guys want?

We're giving you advice right now dude, not making GBS threads on you. The boats might work anywhere else, but here, they get savaged. Maybe you just need to change up your writing and focus more on long-form stuff and see how it does.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Lonos Oboe posted:

This is valuable advice. Wish I knew this starting out

It took me forever to figure it out too. Content mills are great steady work but holy gently caress are they exhausting. Much more fun to write screenplays and jokes and poo poo.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Lonos Oboe posted:

Look, we have way way different styles. It would be like a Kayne trying to tell Phillip Glass how to write a song.my advice to you is to listen to your critics. Not your friends. People in showbiz are super insecure and unless you have an actual understanding with them. You will rarely hear the whole truth. Instead, show them something and say "something isn't right with this, can you spot it. And they will go through it with a tooth comb to find what's up. The other advice is to think like your audience. Now this is where I get a bit spotty because my comedy is kinda niche. You are writing broad but with a specific audience. So browse the writing threads. Get a feel for what people like and try and fit your style to it. Not copy, but fit. One thing about writers live livestock and Zach. You can spot their writing a mile away. Develop that style and make it your own. My last piece of lovely advice is read over the last 6 months of articles and find what's missing. Surprise us, draw us in. Create a character like Levi, roamin' dad or Jeff K. Build a world like blue stripe or the water fountain blog. Challenge yourself to really create. Instead of just checking a list.

Said it way better than I could have.

Asterios posted:

They don't get savaged on the actual internet, though -- they were featured on the front page of the huffington post! They've drawn tens of thousands of hits.

But in this thread, they're get poo poo on.

So I can poo poo on people back, which I did.

I can genuinely admit that I haven't always done the best job, and offer an open call to any writer who wants to step up, which I did.

Or I can just kinda talk about it normally which I'm doing now.

Or I can split. Like, honestly, I'm realizing that maybe I should just split. There's a little ecosystem here of people who kinda get off on dumping on my work. They can't wait for me to gently caress up so they can make jokes about how someone should have aborted president baby. Maybe I'm being a spoilsport by showing up here. Like, gently caress, maybe it's kinda rude to show my face in a thread called "President Baby needs to stop."

I think you're missing the point. SA has always had a different voice than the rest of the internet. We want stuff like Blue Stripe, Shaggy Butte, things like that. Stuff that gets popular on the rest of the internet generally doesn't work for goons.

Edit: LO said all that stuff way better than I could've, so listen to him, he's got good advice.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

I still don't get why it takes two people to put out one of those.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Certainly is a mystery why he's still being paid. I don't think we're the right audience for his style unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Lonos Oboe posted:

As far as I know, mods do it for the love of it and the clunge. I heard years ago front page writers got paid about $30-40 an article. I can't remember where I heard it, but it sounds kinda right. And not really an unfair figure considering how competitive the market is. Maybe it's different with web 5.0 and they just get that sweet, sweet CPM.

That's about market price now, Idk if lowtax pays better or worse than anyone else. Never wanted to write for SA personally, I have enough writing to do tbh

• Locked thread