Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I don't have a super strong stance on the articles, but, I think people maybe have been hard on you Asterios / Baby Pres, though maybe fairly. However, the best honest advice I can give is not to try so hard or to work or defend yourself over your clickbait material and getting likes or making a paycheck for Lowtax. Don't use that as an excuse. As a writer, make the best / funniest/ enjoyable articles you can. The clicks, likes, and whatnot will come, or not, but aiming at making something that you and your audience will like and seeing if the clicks come in is a much better goal then aiming for the clicks and writing the article around that, and hoping for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Asterios posted:

calling relevant headline driven essays "clickbait" or calling graphical content "lazy." It's 2016. I'm trying to drive traffic using formats that work best on facebook mobile and reddit.

I didn't say it, you did. Or you at least quoted around it. And hey, whatever, I'm okay with you, don't get me wrong! But if you want an example, because you asked, "The new Star Wars movie just came out and Donald Trump is controversial" definately rides that line. And I still think that is okay. Current events make for great comedy! Tons of people will do it though, so I guess that is why it gets the "clickbait" label.

My best constructive advice, though, again, is to write something funny, and if you get the hits and the likes, great. Don't write for the hits and likes and hope people will find it funny.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Capntastic posted:

I can only imagine what it would be like for someone who hasn't even seen the movie.

Like someone really pissed off about NPR pledge drives I guess. Which also isn't exactly funny just because it exists.

I can only imagine if this comment makes any sense to someone who doesn't know what NPR is.

So no to both I suppose.

• Locked thread