Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
so wait did you just pull all the least cringeworthy jokes from your book and then put "BUY MY BOOK" at the end and throw that up as this week's article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

obviously you hate COMEDY and COMEDY WRITERS and COMEDY CONTENT CREATOR COMEDY (comedy)

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
yeah i too was surprised at the kind of trash people will throw patreon money at, but spend any length of time on that site and whoooooa boy the poo poo you'll run into

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
does patreon notice if i run $1500 of my own money through my own page every month to look more popular than i actually am (asking for a friend)

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Lonos Oboe posted:

Jesus loving christ. Good luck buddy, you need it.

what's wrong with you, do you have a problem with somethingawful's courageous new direction as a low-grade clickbait purveyor

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
fyi man, that "my life is a living hell" post is what goons commonly refer to as a meltdown

take a break from your writing to re-assess the direction your life has taken, and whether you want to actually continue trying to make a career out of writing vast quantities of things that you hate writing for a pittance

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Asterios posted:

OK, teach me a lesson about my writing. Bring it. I'm listening.

I write some stuff as well. Nothing noteworthy, certainly not anything I'm particularly proud of having written. I find opportunities to let my creativity go wild, and see what happens. Here's the most important thing I've learned about writing.

Critics are precious. In my view, there are three kinds of people who provide feedback to a creative work, in descending order of commonality:

1. People who liked it
  2. People who are very, very angry at something that does not necessarily have anything to do with the work in question
  3. People who are genuinely interested in letting the creator know how he or she can do better

It's easy to find people who liked your poo poo. Call your mom, or check your quantity of likes on Facebook. You'll also get a few people who tell you that you loving suck. As long as these people aren't too perilously numerous to the point that you're starting to question your abilities, they can be tuned out.

The third type of feedback providers -- critics -- are rare and valuable. It takes no effort to tell someone that you loved their poo poo, and only a little to tell them to take their work and shove it up their rear end. The people who are willing to tell you where you hosed up and how you can improve have expended a lot of time and effort, both reading your work, reading other similar works, and picking your work apart. They spent even more time and effort reaching out to you. Don't ever dismiss critics out of hand, and don't ever hide behind the masses of people who either liked your work or were too polite to tell you that it sucked. If you do, you'll find out someday that you've run out of people to hide behind, and have no idea why.

How does this apply to you? When people tell you that your burlesque dancer name article was too short and seemed like it was thrown together over the course of 15 minutes, think about how you could make it longer; don't just pretend that the critics have never created anything. When people tell you that your tombstone article or boat article or whatever looked lovely, take a look at a few other similar photoshop comedy works (I hear SomethingAwful makes a lot of those) and maybe read up on how to improve your composition, maybe make things look less obviously like photoshops. When people tell you they think you could have done better, think about how you could have done better, don't just pretend you don't have the loving time to.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Lonos Oboe posted:

One thing about writers live livestock and Zach. You can spot their writing a mile away. Develop that style and make it your own.

Are you saying that Asterios should grow his personal brand? :ohdear:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Ariong posted:

Man, this went from hate thread to great thread in a hurry! Asterios, I don't read your articles anymore. I used to, even though I found them hit or miss. One day, I read an article that was about wrestlers, I think. I got to this sentence...

...and I could not parse it. No matter how many times I read it, I could not derive any sort of meaning from that sentence. I still can't, in fact. It's one thing to overlook a grammar error or spelling mistake, I thought, it's another to print a line of actual gibberish. It was then I decided that if Asterios can't be bothered to proofread his articles, then I can't be bothered to read them.

I felt pretty confident in that decision back when you were just deflecting criticism, but now that you're opening up and responding earnestly, I'm not so sure. Now I think that that article was the result of high pressure and low time, a forgivable offense. I'm going to start reading again.

I'm not a comedy writer or anything, but I hope this was helpful somehow.

This brings up an important point about how criticism works, particularly with regards to criticism of poo poo you post on the internet.

The harshest feedback a creator receives is silence. Most people who read something on the internet and find it to be poor or mediocre won't tell you so: They'll just mutter "this sucks" to themselves and read something else. Ariong here is an example of that: A reader whose enjoyment was disrupted by a grammatical error and wasn't able to get his focus back, so he just stopped reading and chose to spend time reading stuff other than your articles in the future.

This is why you have to listen to your critics. Most people won't tell you that your work sucks, unless it really sucks, in which case everybody will tell you because it's fun to join into a crowd of people mocking something objectively terrible. If your work is mediocre, it'll simply die silently, with a few likes and polite nods of approval but no other feedback to speak of. The exception to this is your critics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Asterios posted:

And I'll make this a general ask: show me the stuff from the past year that drove you guys crazy with how good it was.

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/public-domain-comic/

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/crazy-frog-trump/

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/smash-mouth-endings/

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/adblocker-nag-screens/

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/skymall-beach-babe/

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/democrats-new-pitch/

A quick look through 2016's Front Page Articles gave me all this. I could link more stuff from past years, but a lot of it is Elpintogrande stuff, which combines humor with various forms of weird fiction in experimental presentations. Some of the stuff I've seen published on SA isn't even humor, but still awesome reads.

• Locked thread