Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Asterios posted:

This article got a shitload of traffic, and driving traffic is my job, not catering to the very small userbase who still visits SA every morning.

To be fair, if that's how you see your job and writing, then yeah, you've done a great job. And I wouldn't take the criticism of funny or not that personally, like Lonos Oboe and yourself have pointed out, it's really subjective. Your style is different from most of the writers on the site, and that's fine. Maybe the majority of us will never get used to it or care much for it but that's life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Asterios posted:

Eh, but comedy's too much fun!

You guys accused me of being glib and above it, so I'm trying to be super, duper honest with you and see what happens. If you guys act like jerks about it, I'll just go back to being glib and shitposting and I'll have learned my lesson: don't try and genuinely emotionally engage.

Knowing where you're coming from is really humanizing and I get it. If some articles seem rushed (the infamous lists of names), then heck with your schedule they probably were, but it's admirable that you're still getting them up in time, let alone at all. I don't write so I don't know how it goes, but if you are doing so much it may be of some use to step back from time to time and re-evaluate and find that new angle, as it's been suggested. Like the Dad Jones Index, a list, is actually a pretty silly idea. I like when you write in a more narrative style, like the Palpatine article, my only problem with that one is that I'm just tired of hearing of Trump in any fashion, but that's more to do with me than anything else.

Anyway it's cool that you're engaging and trying and even if your and the site's goals won't align with our own expectations that's fine as long as you continue to grow as a writer and a comedian.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'd say my favorite writers on a regular basis are Jedidiah and CTS. I just love the dead-pan macabre black humor in the former and CTS has a cute goofiness/absurdity to his things that I've come to really enjoy (also I'm a video game nerd).

Outside of that, it's the series that are the most interesting to me, but that's probably because you end up building a rapport with them. Levi Johnston is consistently good and I really like Livestock's series as well. Salmonseason is fine, but a lot of collegiate slice-of-life observations that I feel I've moved past.

I don't know if you have a style just yet. I think your acknowledgement of Zach, is definite a sign of his influence on you. Except you're not as dark as he is, which is nice, there's no need for two people like that. I'm actually going to flip through your things here and now and see if I can come up with some categories.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

TLDR: I analyze a Asterios' articles, quickly regretting it (only cause it takes a long time not because it's bad), but doing it because I said I would. He's a socially aware writer, who's very goofy and irreverent and likes to poke fun at clichés surrounding millennials. He also has a strange habit of naming things, that doesn't really work to his strengths or makes things so concise that we may miss the joke.

It's not surprising you mention Zach since he's clearly an influence. I'd say him, Bobservo, and yourself are the 3 who tend to write the most on current events. Zach's often goes to really dark places on these, Bobservo's piece feel more righteously angry, and at your best you go goofy on them. One of my favorites that falls in this category is "Chicago U: No Safe Spaces, Trigger Warnings, Protection From Bears Sep 05, 2016". You're socially aware and you come off as pretty progressive. It's why what's arguably your most infamous piece "Terribly Accurate Burlesque Names 04-11-2016", seems out of place for you, besides being fairly uncreative. The critique of low-hanging fruit is often used to describe you and this is definitely true in regards to your Trump articles. Trump is an undeniably easy target to joke about, and your Trump v. Trump ones are great, but while I'm sure it's a well that'll never run dry, I think as an audience we're just oversaturated with the man, for better or for worse. Hence those criticisms.

Now you write these things cause you write about current events and by and large these articles work. You also like to poke fun at millennial culture, often by exaggerating the standard media line. I liked your Snapchat article, but it's sequel, Post-Valentine's Day Breakup Snapchats Feb 15, 2016, is a good example of one of your list-formatted articles that doesn't really work. It's a week after the previous one so as sequenced punchline it doesn't succeed, and it ends up feeling repetitious and cheap. They'd of worked better paired immediately with the first article.

I think it's clear though that lists are a thing with you. I don't mean numbered cracked-like lists, but you do do lists of jokes tied to a theme. I do prefer when you make narratives, but I can imagine that those are comparatively harder to make than listed punchlines, and in many cases not as immediately funny. And to be honest you do have some good lists.

The ones I really enjoyed (not lists):

Highlights from Obama's Address If A Bee Had Flown In Dec 07, 2015 - This just tickles my goofy ridiculousness funny bone to no end.

TERMINATE SANTIAGO WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE Apr 25, 2016- This one is great. It's that level of absurdity that I enjoy.

Lists that worked:

Incendiary Slate Headlines That Are Totally Up for Grabs! 05-19-2015- You revisit this later in Real Slate Headline or Fake Slate Headline? Nov 30, 2015 which feels a bit cheap on the first reading, but actually is very clever. I wouldn't mind seeing more of this. This is you poking fun at millennial culture.

What's New on Netflix This Month! 06-18- 2015- Not every one is a home-run, but the photoshops are a nice touch and it's generally pretty good. You did one better with your
What's Coming To Netflix In 2016 Nov 16, 2015 which takes a more in-depth approach, to its benefit.

The Worst Reddit Writing Prompts Of All Time Monday, Sep 28, 2015- This one had some good jokes in it.

iTunes New & Noteworthy & Terrible Podcasts! Thursday, Jul 30, 2015- this one has a really good mix of quick bulleted punchlines and more elaborate set-ups. This sort of style of list could definitely improve some of your shorter articles and may not be quite as time-consuming as straight narrative.

Valentine’s Snapchats From Your Millennial gently caress Buddy Feb 08, 2016

An Entire Airplane Helped A Baby Get To Sleep. And I Livetweeted It. Mar 28, 2016- I remember not liking this one initially but now that I've got a better feel of what you do it's actually really funny.

Ones that don't work (or seem like cop-outs):

Tombstone Goofs- Jan 04, 2016: I don't know why a second was made. The punchlines really don't have anything to them. I guess it's just self-deprecating but... not really knowing you it's a bit beyond me.

Terribly Accurate Burlesque Names Apr 11, 2016: Probably the most infamous one you've done. What's weird is that it's actually kind out of place for you to make fun of strippers considering what I feel your thing is.

Real or Fake Star Trek Novel? Feb 22, 2016: To be fair I don't know Star Trek. But that said there's very little substance here.

Best Names For Horses Aug 29, 2016: One is named Leadership, which may be an actual name? And is that the joke?

Best Names For Boats 01-25-2016: I do not get how there are 3 of these.

Other things I found while in this endeavor:

Why Didn’t Either Candidate Discuss The Big Trouble Going On In Little China? Oct 10, 2016: This a good article, obviously helped by knowing the movie, but this is more akin to what Lonos Oboe is talking about,

Lonos Oboe posted:

You mentioned in the article that it was a faux kinda Facebook post.
. It's not mocked up but the tone is just so right.

America: “Eh, Gettin’ Bored Of Unarmed Blacks Killed By Cops” Aug 08, 2016: This is you doing Zach but wonderfully in your voice and style. It's irreverent and depressing and you make it work. I could see him getting grotesque and dark with this subject but you manage to keep it light.

Pokémon Battle Tips From A Psychopath Nov 23, 2015- it's not a bad premise but you kinda kill the joke by explaining it at the very beginning with the title and the intro. The weird thing is that there's great jokes like the fake-out in no. 7, but the lines like "Just some crazy Japanese bullshit I guess?!", "Whatev, I'm no expert." also end up killing the joke that'd be stronger without them. It's odd to see both extremes in one piece.

What Happened On The Final Prairie Home Companion, I Assume Jul 04, 2016 & Signs You Aren't Invited To Jim & Karen's Wedding Oct 12, 2015: both were sadly short. These could've been made just a bit longer especially cause the idea and the content was generally pretty good.

Your "Named Things" articles are often pretty sure (you give about 10 names and call it a day), though to be honest I do feel that's for the best because if there's one thing I just don't get of yours is the naming of things. Those are, as far as I'm concerned, by far the least funny things you have and definitely feel like no effort was put into it. Compare those lists to the Dad Index, just aesthetically the latter clearly takes some effort and time, and the jokes are way more elaborate between the code (I forget what that thing is) and the joke itself. Those are great.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think he's definitely improved. The articles are definitely longer, which in itself is enough for me because there were some short ones, and he seems to be more involved in them. I'll admit I don't find them all that funny, but that's neither here nor there.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Good Morning Real America's good.

I like how you ran the joke into the ground with the last few ones. Just like the real thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Regulation Size posted:

If you're hungry for an article about an undersexed and pathetic weirdo that's actually funny as hell I recommend this one: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/letters-girl-lonely/

Yeah but Jedidiah is actually terrific. His stuff never fails to make me laugh.

• Locked thread