Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Asterios posted:

Yup! Hope you enjoy my dumb book!

https://youtu.be/aDTwO0TlwOU

How does this work on a mobile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Regulation Size posted:

this looks like a one-off article in a 2000s-era MAD Magazine.

This summarizes Asterios so well.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Capntastic posted:

Andy Kaufman was entertaining because he wasn't very regular at all

My favorite Kaufman bit was when he just showed people pictures of boats with names like The SS Poop with no context or setup.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Asterios posted:

I guess I'm just not aiming my material at goons. I'm looking to make a shitload of money for Lowtax and rake in a shitload of exposure for SA, and I can't get that by targeting just the people who use one forum.

I honestly think this is a bit of the problem; goons can be pretty loving elitist, and they don't want THEIR SITE marred by poo poo Reddit will make 20 threads of 'LITERALLY MFW' over.

To me, your articles are pretty hit or miss. Whoever compared them to MAD magazine articles was pretty spot on, but that generally just hasn't been the kind of humor Something Awful has had in the past. I honestly just feel like the majority of your articles have no personality to them. They're jokes for the sake of being jokes; there's no commentary, nothing to ground them or make them more than an imgur dump of funny pictures. They lack punch or, in some cases, self-awareness.

I'd look at BobServo's stuff and maybe chat with him a bit; he started fairly shaky in my opinion but he's done pretty well and has become a seriously funny dude, and he honestly feels like he falls between you and Zack in terms of articles. He can pull off the content farm poo poo (and even made a joke about such earlier this week) but he also can keep his articles self-aware to keep them funny and not just 'oh, I get it, he's pretending to be this, cute.'

There's also an assumed level of effort on your part when you do lists and short picture articles, even if it's wholly inaccurate; yeah, I personally know photo-shopping and editing a picture to be just right can take a long time, but it's a much more compact and effortless bit of content to chew through, so it's very easy to assume it took almost no time to slap together. I mean, there's goons on here who will just absolutely drown threads with hilarious photo manipulations and jokes in a day's span, and that's something you gotta go up against.

Compare that to even your article on Palpatine and you can see where people would think not as much effort was made on one versus the other; the same goes for the article versus Zack's, since his was a bit more complicated and involved.

I don't expect you to change completely to suit the moods of a handful of goons, but that's honestly how I view the issues here; people are assuming you have a lower level of involvement with your work, and just aren't used to or don't want 'lol funny pictures' as something you're paid for on the front page. But hell, if Lowtax's checks are clearing, then he's probably cool with it. :v:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I liked the most recent article, Asterios, but the inconsistent lisp threw me. Was there a reason for it being inconsistent?

Lisps and accents are always a pain to read so at least it was nice it wasn't the full article, but I didn't quite get why sometimes the lisp was dropped.

• Locked thread