Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Greatbacon posted:

If you consider that all the lead in the gasoline most likely ended up in the air, floating around all the cities and suburbs of this country in small little trace amounts, slowly accumulating more and more over a lifetime, it sort of explains the general economic and social violence and insanity in this country. Like the lead in the pipes of the Roman aqueducts slowly poisoning the empire.

Only a compelling hypothesis if you ignore how crazy the rest of the world is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Stultus Maximus posted:

Speaking of, today Brownback backed down and repealed the defunding law.

quote:

GOP lawmakers who supported both laws have said they never intended to close the courts.

Then why did they explicitly make the funding bill non-severable from the previously passed unconstitutional bill? :confused:

quote:

Except as provided further, the provisions of [HB 2005] are not severable, nor are they severable from the provisions of [HB 2338]. If any provision of this act or of [HB 2338] is stayed or is held to be invalid or unconstitutional, it shall be presumed conclusively that the legislature would not have enacted the remainder of the act without such stayed, invalid, or unconstitutional provision and the provisions of [HB 2005] are hereby declared to be null and void and shall have no force and effect. (Pet., ¶ 17).

HB 2005 was the bill which funded Kansas's court system. HB 2338 was the unconstitutional bill that removed the appointment of district court chief justices from the purview of the state Supreme Court and granted it to the districts themselves.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 9, 2016

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Listen man, Piscopo was never THAT good

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Wow OK then.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Greatbacon posted:

If you consider that all the lead in the gasoline most likely ended up in the air, floating around all the cities and suburbs of this country in small little trace amounts, slowly accumulating more and more over a lifetime, it sort of explains the general economic and social violence and insanity in this country. Like the lead in the pipes of the Roman aqueducts slowly poisoning the empire.

You should remember that other countries also used about as much leaded gas, and often were still using it years or decades after America and Canada halted use.

Zarin posted:

Yeah. Every time I read about the WPA, I really wish it had been mothballed, rather than dismantled. I don't know if everyone back then just assumed we would be so totally super-enlightened after we won World War II that we wouldn't need it anymore, but ever since then, history seems to keep reminding us that everything is cyclical. We really could use something like that to keep everything moving forward in the down cycles.

Keep in mind there were a lot of people who only accepted that spending because it was the worst depression yet, and many others thought it was only important to have the things built. So it wasn't so much everyone expecting things would be enlightened after the war, as that some of the people expected it to keep going, and many others thought just doing the stuff in the first place was wasted money.

The outhouse and the dirt roads were good enough for their fathers after all.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 9, 2016

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Remember that the lead manufacturers of ye olde times lobbied their asses off convincing people lead was no biggy. They were on par or worse than climate denial today.

It's a drat shame since lead literally makes you stupid. Like worse than 10hr/d Fox News stupid.

I'm reminded of the guy who poured Tetraethyllead all over his hands and inhaled the fumes in front of reporters. See it's perfectly harmless! Please don't notice that after this press conference I disappear somewhere to recover from lead poisoning.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

7c Nickel posted:

I'm reminded of the guy who poured Tetraethyllead all over his hands and inhaled the fumes in front of reporters. See it's perfectly harmless! Please don't notice that after this press conference I disappear somewhere to recover from lead poisoning.

That dude died a hilarious death though. Strangulated by the contraption he designed to make his neurological disorder liveable. He can't make anything that doesn't want to gently caress you up royally.

Also credited with being the most poisoning organism in the history of the planet.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Yeah, he died too soon to find out his other huge discovery, Chlorofluorocarbons, literally ate a hole in the ozone layer.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Just goes to show that technology is not necessarily its own end.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
His name is Thomas Midgley, Jr.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rhesus Pieces posted:

lol Rubio did it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBX0Z1MkDyQ

He's rattled.

Also gently caress him for the sentiment he's poorly expressing here.

Republicans sure do talk about stuff being rammed down their throats alot.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
NPR just had a story on farm contractors being mad about needing to comply with the ACA because most of their employees are undocumented and their margins are too slim to pay their workers a decent wage or decent benefits. :qq:

Of course being NPR the story completely misses the questions of why these businesses are so terrible, why health insurance is linked to employment at all, or why produce is expected to be so cheap etc.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

7of7 posted:

NPR just had a story on farm contractors being mad about needing to comply with the ACA because most of their employees are undocumented and their margins are too slim to pay their workers a decent wage or decent benefits. :qq:

Of course being NPR the story completely misses the questions of why these businesses are so terrible, why health insurance is linked to employment at all, or why produce is expected to be so cheap etc.

I listened to it this morning, and I personally read the thrust of the situation as being about how ACA works find in a world in which our Immigration system isn't fundamentally broken.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I listened to it this morning, and I personally read the thrust of the situation as being about how ACA works find in a world in which our Immigration system isn't fundamentally broken.

lol

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Happy Budget Day!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Well, I mean in so much as ACA works -- like the critique to me was that because employers are supposed to document their workers status as part of ACA, they get into a catch-22 of having to either skirt the rules so as not expose their labor as being various shades of undocumented or expose them. Now you can obviously say that not all of those farmers have their workers best interests in mind, but it is a real issue w/r/t any sort of government mandate on healthcare.

baw posted:

Happy Budget Day!

I like the fiction that we're going to get anything but a CR passed.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

7of7 posted:

Yeah this has nothing to do with ACA and everything to do with worker's rights. The ACA part is merely a symptom.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well, I mean in so much as ACA works -- like the critique to me was that because employers are supposed to document their workers status as part of ACA, they get into a catch-22 of having to either skirt the rules so as not expose their labor as being various shades of undocumented or expose them. Now you can obviously say that not all of those farmers have their workers best interests in mind, but it is a real issue w/r/t any sort of government mandate on healthcare.

I like the fiction that we're going to get anything but a CR passed.

Also isn't the house not even going to bring up the budget for even a little debate?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Also isn't the house not even going to bring up the budget for even a little debate?

Correct. They're literally just being honest for a change and saying "yeah, only thing you're gonna get out of us is a CR sometime before the election -- maybe even with some budget grand standing -- until we have a new president."

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm reserving judgment until we can demonstrate that primary slap fights can actually stay out of this thread. I'm not yet convinced.

That said,

Police are pissed about Beyonce's Super Bowl show.

Beyonce's performance was the ultimate "out yourself for latent racism" troll.

Also, where is the primary slapfight supposed to be taking place? I don't see a lot of options. Do I suck at thread title reading?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

SavageBastard posted:

Also, where is the primary slapfight supposed to be taking place? I don't see a lot of options. Do I suck at thread title reading?

In YCS.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

SavageBastard posted:

go ahead and do it here. you know you want to

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Meanwhile, in WV --

While the state is facing a 350m budget shortfall that must be solved in order for the state to stay open, as we have a balanced budget amendment (which is the dumbest loving poo poo); Republican legislators are tackling such high priority issues as making WV one of the very few states where you can concealed carry without a permit, more right to work nonsense, a religious freedom restoration act, and more!

Thankfully, governor has said he's going to veto most of that, but I think concealed carry can get overturned with a simple majority vote.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CortezFantastic posted:

Listen man, Piscopo was never THAT good

Dead Heat was amazing though

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Meanwhile, in WV --

While the state is facing a 350m budget shortfall that must be solved in order for the state to stay open, as we have a balanced budget amendment (which is the dumbest loving poo poo); Republican legislators are tackling such high priority issues as making WV one of the very few states where you can concealed carry without a permit, more right to work nonsense, a religious freedom restoration act, and more!

Thankfully, governor has said he's going to veto most of that, but I think concealed carry can get overturned with a simple majority vote.

Isn't every state balanced budget because of some regulation stating that states can't deficit spend?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

axeil posted:

Isn't every state balanced budget because of some regulation stating that states can't deficit spend?

No, it's completely upto the states in question. Every state but Vermont has one, but some states are dumber than others.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SavageBastard posted:

:yeah:

Condiv posted:

go ahead and do it here. you know you want to

:nono:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

we all vote down here...

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Condiv posted:

we all vote down here...

You don't speak for SAs convicted felons.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiKPZegwMjY

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

http://wvmetronews.com/2016/02/08/house-passes-permitless-conceal-carry-bill/

Oh good it passed.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Time to see if an armed society is indeed polite.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

quote:

“The Second Amendment has nothing in it about a permit. It has nothing in it about a waiting period or having to pay (a fee) to exercise it,” Nelson said. “What we’re about to do today is fixing something that was wrong in the first place.”

Supporters also said taking away the permit requirement would help women who may be the target of domestic violence. The bill has families in mind, Del. Patrick Lane (R-Kanawha) said.

“I happen to believe that we should balance it on the side of protecting our families,” Lane said. “Making our families, giving our families, restoring our families the ability to protect themselves.”

loving disgusting.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Whew, I was worried you guys wouldn't be able to protect yourselves when the state falls apart.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

loving disgusting.

Families it's about the families. The families rights to shoot their families.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

You know, Mark Levin is right. I am a liberal statist.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

loving disgusting.

lmao 'the best way to deal with domestic abuse is to lethally arm both participants'

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

loving disgusting.

Is this constitutional carry or what?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Is this constitutional carry or what?

Yes. No permits for anyone other than 18-21 y/o for concealed carry. We're already an open carry state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but wouldn't the "well regulated" portion of the 2nd Amendment authorise rules and limits on the use, carry, ownership, etc of of arms?

All citizens are members of the unorganized militia. What is the interface of the regulation of that militia versus non-infringement of the right to bear arms?

More specifically, the militia is defined under the US Code as follows:

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 9, 2016

• Locked thread