Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zombie Samurai posted:

Please someone tell me there's no actual precedence for suits like this succeeding.

Lie to me if you have to.

The judge will toss it, he's just trying to bully the family and get his story out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oh, I almost forgot! We're going to pass drug testing for welfare!

Welcome to WV, where we're literally always behind the loving times.

How'd that happen in a state where welfare recipients are overwhelmingly poor and white?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

lol no. Anyone jumping in now is a fool.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Loretta Lynch has apparently had enough of Missouri's poo poo.

quote:

Justice Department suing Ferguson over deal, attorney general says

The U.S. Justice Department is filing a lawsuit against the city of Ferguson, Missouri, Attorney General Loretta Lynch said Wednesday. The lawsuit alleges a pattern and practice of unconstitutional police conduct in the city.

Federal authorities had no other choice but to file a lawsuit against the city after the Ferguson City Council voted to change the terms of a consent decree, Lynch said.

"We intend to aggressively prosecute this case," she told reporters, "and we intend to prevail."

"The residents of Ferguson have suffered the deprivation of their Constitutional rights, the rights guaranteed to all Americans, for decades. They have waited decades for justice," Lynch said. "They should not be forced to wait any longer."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
:lol: everyone who's talking to those militia idiots is doing it with an FBI agent standing right next to them.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Jeb out an Trump in the catbird seat headed into Super Tuesday. If you'd told me about this last year I'd have fainted dead away.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Trump would get shellacked in a general contest with Hillary as his opponent. He'd get his rear end kicked by Sanders too, although probably by a tighter margin. The guy is majorly negative with every single voter demographic that isn't old white men.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The Times does an analysis of how Jeb! blew through $130 million conservabucks. It's a fun read.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Decent article from NY Magazine.

Single Women are now the Most Potent Political Force in America

Should append the postscript: "....if they loving show up to vote."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

Cruz is falling apart today. First he apologized to Rubio for his unsuccessful ratfuck, now he just fired his communications director

Cruz needed to finish first in SC or come in a very strong 2nd. I imagine that they're in panic mode over in whatever rat's nest they've set their campaign HQ up in.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Considering the shitshow of the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings, that position was much more understandable in 1992.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If Trump wins the nom, George Will may very well die from an overdose of sour grapes.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

Wah wah wah it is all Obama's fault.

It is a close race between Will, Krauthammer, Brooks and Douthat but I do think I dislike Will the most

Will is tolerable when he takes on the persona of "Old Man" Will and talks about how much he loves stargazing and baseball. Brooks is a lovely little apologist for plutocrats, Krauthammer a blood-soaked imperialist running dog, and Douthat a fatheaded chauvinist.

But yeah, I agree that Will on politics is the worst of them.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Don't marry crazy.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Boon posted:

In case anyone was under the delusion that the financial sector had been humbled in 2008... http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/22/real_estate/bank-of-america-low-down-payment/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

Basically BoA issues mortgages to low/moderate income individuals who are only eligible if they make less than the median income for an area (<$51,000 nationally) with almost nothing done for an insane maximum of $417,000. They will then consider non-standard forms of measuring creditworthiness, not require standard insurance for these types of mortgages, and then pass off all of the risk to Freddie Mac meaning they have no incentive to NOT issue poor loans.

I'm loving speechless.

I make comfortably more than the median and giving me a loan for $417,000 would be a laughable mistake.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/primary-forecast/virginia-republican/

Georgia and Virginia would be two of them. Rubio is going up in the others as well, not quite neck and neck with Trump but getting close. We have Cruz as a winner in Texas. I just don't see Super Tuesday being a thunderous win for Trump altogether.

Although Rubio and Cruz are busily ripping each other to shreds while Trump hordes his ammo.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
It's not like Donald is planning to drop out before the 15th.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah this little hissy fight only helps Trump. Thanks Cruz! You being an insufferable shitstain is good.

And it's not like Rubio is some sort of iron man without controversy or weaknesses. The guy was basically made and is owned by his patron, Norman Braman, down in Florida.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Thing is that some of those country club republicans are voting Trump too because he's the only candidate preaching a return to white political hegemony. And the idea of White Man On Top Forever gets your average Judge Smails-type rock hard.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kro-Bar posted:

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/702144304681197572

I guess this is why the GOP has been treating him like a typical white president for the past seven years?

Oooohhhh. He sure burned that Obummer this time!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Numbers that low you can entirely write off as crazies.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

I'm never that confident because I will forever remember, as a kid, my parents being gleeful they'd picked that 'idiot' George W. Bush and how the GOP was doomed now.

W was the governor of Texas who had a major political dynasty at his beck and call with the entire GOP united behind him early on. Even so, he'd have lost if Gore had played his cards better and SCOTUS hadn't come charging to his rescue.

Trump will be crushed. If he's seriously the nominee then we should concentrate on wrapping up the Dem nomination as early as possible and start talking about downticket races.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

He's been destined and preordained to lead the GOP right into their grave for months now, at least.

I honestly thought that he would fade and Rubio would catch fire. Guess not.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
God help me, I want to watch every single one of his campaign commercials. I might have a viewing party.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

You can post all the numbers and figures about voting groups, if it's Hillary v Trump, I don't see Hillary beating Trump. Compared to Trump she's like a dying fish on stage at debates or town halls.

But Hillary is actually good at debates. :confused:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If Trump's the nom, Hillary could come out and sock him with a golf club and the press would call it a measured and presidential response.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Will Fox continue to be Anti-Trump in the general?

I honestly don't think that they even know how they'll cover him.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The doom and gloom on this thread is like icing on top or the Trump-brand cake. If you guys can't be happy about the fact that the GOP base has finally gone mad and placed an obvious donkey at the head of their ticket, then you all seriously need an attitude adjustment.

:toxx: Donald Trump will never be president.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

shovelbum posted:

Yeah I wonder if bitter Bernie fans will refuse to vote for Clinton.

We had similar hard feelings back in 2008, but most Hillary people came around to Obama by the time the election rolled around, if only to keep Sarah Palin out of the White House.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Anchor Wanker posted:

Is it at all possible, assuming Cruz cans his run, that Rubio could rally Cruz's supporters and his Establishment people to get a majority over Trump? Are Cruz's people likely to go to Rubio over Trump? What if it was the other way around and Rubio dropped? Would the establishment support Cruz despite hating his guts?

Neither of these scenarios are likely, I'm just curious to know if they're even possible really.

The crossover from Cruz people to Rubio people probably isn't high enough to challenge Trump. At this point they're holding out hope that Trump stumbles badly before Super Tuesday, but holding out hope for Trump to self-destruct hasn't proved to be a winning strategy so far.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

It could for the down ticket races

Highly partisan Bernie voters aren't really the type of voters that we can count on to show up anyway. My biggest fear was them getting Bernie in as the nominee and then getting bored and losing enthusiasm before November.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Random question, but how many Millenials reliably vote in elections? My dad is a somewhat moderate/conservative Democrat who is crotchety about Millenials not voting and blaming them constantly for letting Republicans win in elections, that they play too many video games to be bothered to vote and other hyperbolic bullshit. I'd like to retort with actual statistics on this.

As a demographic, young people are poo poo about getting out to vote, especially in off-year elections.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shageletic posted:

Have you ever heard of the word legitimized? There was no reprecussion to him floating these as policy ideas or positions (calling Mexicans rapists, etc), other candidates have followed suit or been rendered moot.

The repercussions will be felt on election day when Latinos show up in droves to vote against his rear end.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Satchel and Trunk posted:

So, regardless of how many states Trump takes what are the current odds that the RNC just says "gently caress it" and changes the rules arbitrarily to deny him the nomination? Seems to me the party rulers are screwed regardless of how it swings from here on out...

Thing is, Trump has said that if he feels that he's being treated unfairly by the party that he reserves the right to run as an independent.

Beyond that, the GOP establishment has fumbled their handling of Trump in every single way since he blew up after the first debate. There's no reason to believe that they'll suddenly become ruthlessly efficient in handling him now that he's the prohibitive front runner.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

You're a trolling bastard, Joe.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I'm sad that this isn't real.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Much better.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Your average GOP super PAC's ability to turn hundreds of millions of conservabucks into nothing is a feature, not a bug.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Logikv9 posted:

It was just a matter of time....

I guarantee you that if Arnold wasn't a foreign born citizen that McCain would've selected him as his running mate in 2008.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

One thing we've taken as read this cycle is that if a Republican wins, the ACA is done. I see people point to Bevin in KY as a forerunner to this, but I think it misses the fact that Bevin just pushed people on to the federal exchange so it wouldn't be like repealing Obamacare. It's one thing to talk about it, it's another thing entirely to kick 17 million people off of health insurance with no alternative and no mitigation.

Also remember how Florida was the birthright of whoever remained out of Rubio/Bush?
https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/702871606415249409

This train has no brakes.

loving hell. The White House is safe, SCOTUS is safe. I can't believe how relieved I am that the GOP finally, finally cracked-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

His Divine Shadow posted:

gently caress, made me want to vote for Trump

As Taibbi points out, our system is rotten but the one that Trump would replace it with is worse.

• Locked thread