Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
There's a really good VP-Fnatic game on right now and VP is not bad for the first time in like four months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So news is breaking that MLG Columbus qualifiers are rife with visa issues, as two players of Team YP and the entirety of The Mongolz were denied entry into the US. YP is going to play with stand-ins from CSGL, Mongolz will miss the event entirely.

Let's hope next year we go back to having no US-based majors.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Please get into the soup.io chatroom, so that we may discuss HellRaisers being cool together.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
G2 and TempoStorm are really well and evenly matched, this game is great.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Thom and the Heads posted:

clg is really pretty bad

EDIT: a team that lives in a house together gets taken to the 29th round of the third map against a 2nd tier polish team lmao

Vexed are the second-best Polish team, not 2nd-tier Polish team. They were at two or three majors (and never left the groups, but still), they are part of the great competition for who gets to replace VP once Alzheimer's kicks in.

EDIT: and they really should have won train, seeing how hard they had beaten SK on it. Really disappointing, tarik was crazy in that game.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
"We play to win. We play to destroy our opponents." - Wiktor "TaZ" Wojtas, video game philosopher

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

nftyw posted:

Vexed dissolving. Time to sell those vexed stickers too.

E: except nobody really cares about vexed so

I care about Vexed, and here's why:

- they have a player called Gruby, which literally means "fat" and is the most generic nickname for anyone to ever have in this country (like, every middle school class has a guy whom everyone calls "Gruby"), and also confirms my belief every team needs exactly one token fat guy. It's super fun to watch how no commentator has ever realised that and everyone says his name wrong, like it's an English word.
- they have a guy named Hyper whose family name means Slow, which is funny.
- Their coach is named Kuba "KubiK" Kubiak and yes, it's just as silly as it sounds. It's literally as if someone in an English-speaking country named their kid Jim "Jimmy" "Jameson.

Vexed matters :(

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Am I the only one who's under the impression that ESL casters collectively get crazy over fnatic? Like, they just spent 20 seconds praising JW for picking up the bomb and jumping up on Inferno grill while not being under fire and having his back covered by teammates.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I played a really fun game on Mirage today. Highlight: T side, I walk out of A main and start pushing. Suddenly, a hail of bullets starts to whiz all around me. I press on for a solid two seconds before realizing that yes, someone is shooting at me and missing, it's not a teammate trying to hit someone I can't see. I just couldn't fathom how someone could miss a guy in the open from the back at that distance.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Am I alone in the steam chat, or did I get the wrong link?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yeah, but it's just me and Lambda. Wake up, people, we've got a good game on our hands!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Maybe we ought to add it to the OP?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Same, but with VP. All of their games until today started past midnight in my local time.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The crowd just started chanting "Thorin sucks".

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Tyloo took Cache off Luminosity after coming back from a 6-9 first half :lol:.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

dex_sda posted:

get wrecked navi.

That smoke defuse, though.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
His entire team was quite hopeless as well, they took 6 rounds over two maps. DG are going to be playing Virtus.Pro tomorrow, I'm looking forward to seeing how the rare Polish derby shakes out.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Stumbletron posted:

they won a lan (over navi) last weekend :confused:

e: although I think they lost to some garbage team there too

They didn't. They only dropped two maps the whole tournament - one to NaVi and one to s1mple, but didn't lose any series.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

RyokoTK posted:

Well plus everyone understands the basic mechanics of a shootmans game, you click heads and they die. There aren't special abilities and level-ups and weird esoteric mechanics, which is what makes League completely impenetrable to me. There's a lot of different guns but they all have the same fundamental principle: point it at their head and click until they die.

It's not just about the mechanics, but also presentation. If you flip on CS to dinner with your dad, all you need to tell him is "There are terrorists, there are counter-terrorists, they shoot each other and plant bombs." A complete layman looking at the screen is going to know they're watching a video game about soldiers shooting bad guys. If you go with DotA or something, well, good luck. Radiant? Dire? Nexus? Can I get that again in English?

Perspective matters, too. You only really know what's going on in Starcraft or League so instinctively (well, once you've played a few games, at least) because gaming as a hobby has conditioned you to understand top-down view. But to your dad it's going to look like a bunch of colour blobs. Hell, even I find myself barely capable of reading what's going on in a MOBA screenshot. But looking through the eyes of a guy with a gun? That's essentially GoPro.

Also I really, really dig what TBS is doing with explaining the game to people who have no idea about it. They have short breaks with players explaining the more abstract concepts and the lingo. ELEAGUE really has all the hallmarks of trying to make a TV programme rather than broadcasting a game. It's amazing how much they transplant from professional sports discourse and presentation: they have all kinds of crazy statistics you never see anywhere, even on majors, they actually seem to have less analyst desk time than most CS tournaments, and they have press conferences like you would in an actual sport. This is doing a lot to legitimise the hobby in the eyes of bystanders. I wonder if it will work out in the end.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
They got beaten 16/1 and NiKo didn't even really show up. They lost to dennis and chrisJ.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
What in the gently caress was that ninja defuse right now

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The FaZe-dignitas game is so amazing. Real edge-of-your-seat CS. It might not be super tactical or methodical, but it's just crispy headshots all day long.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Wait, can the opponents actually hear that sound? I played a bit since the update and I don't recall ever hearing that sound.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
WorldEdit is going so absolutely ham on Train right now, he might drop 30 before the end of first half.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
And 4 deaths.

On T-side Train. What an insane performance.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I like the statistic that says Snax only bought the AWP twice for 13 kills.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Between the PP-Bizon Antique and Mac-10 Neon Rider I have to say k0nfig seems to have exquisite taste in skins.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
LET'S GO VP

WRAP IT UP, LIQUIDATION TIME

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 6, 2016

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
NiKo just got headshot through the wall from the green train while climbing the ladder in popdog.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Kioshima's vignette is all him tearing into NV and talking about how he has to babysit FaZe, it's glorious.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
And that puts Cloud9 in the final tournament. I guess ELEAGUE didn't think it would draw enough viewers without a US team.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Flipsid3 are looking immensely strong on CT-side Cache.

EDIT: 14-1 :eyepop:

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 7, 2016

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Mousesports game plan:

- set up a smoke that benefits the CTs
- run through it

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

surely liquid cant gently caress this up now?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
What in the gently caress was that Snax

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
That's some vintage Virtus.pro.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

NO AGE BARRIER IN CS

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

dex_sda posted:

True but never forget one of VPs incredible abilities besides plowing and throwing is to just barely match their opposition by liberal application of plowing and throwing

Case in point, Snax woke up.

It's called "putting over", you have to make the opponent look good for the crowd.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
TaZ is the only player in the server with a positive KDR. Are we sure this is not a bunch of time travellers from 2010?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
THE CHOSEN ONE