Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Dropping in to say my sens is 1.05@800, cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Why bother with grenades when you can just p90 rush B every round

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I want someone to get to global using crabwalking dualies only

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

IMO a lot of bad vibes happen in solo queue when someone outright comes out and says something like OMG loving noob orange why didn't you do <insert arbitrary action>. Most of the time if you're abnormally polite when pointing out something, as long as your point holds water, people will be receptive.

Some caveats to this: This advice does not apply if the person is under 16, is Russian, or is indeed a loving noob.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

goldblums eyes posted:

Lol that's not it. I didn't start watching cs to get better at the game, I just watched it randomly one day and really liked watching it. about a week ago after watching 4-5 months of streams I bought the game and ya. I hear you though.

If you're worried about whether you are going to be bad or not, let me ease some of your concerns a bit: You are going to be loving horrendous.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I would be ranked global elite but literally every game this week and last week and also the week before has had a cheater in it, so I'm still just DMG.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

fennesz posted:

I think I like CS because it's the only shooter I've ever played online that I haven't dominated 99% of the matches I end up in. It's frustrating queuing into smurfs and sketchy dudes who wallbang you constantly but I guess that's part of the draw.

TBH I miss arena shooters and the lack of popularity in quake live makes me worry that the genre is finished for good.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Awesome Welles posted:

New UT looks promising at least.

I like it and want to succeed, but it's taking forever and there doesn't seem to be a lot of hype for it. So as much as I hope it will explode, I'll believe it when I see it.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

teagone posted:

Does Overwatch count as an arena shooter?

IDK, my ex-QL pro friend seems excited for it, so maybe?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The game became a lot more enjoyable for me once I started playing Faceit premium almost exclusively.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

sterster posted:

Curious if anyone has speculation on what happens when you get kicked by a team after the last round. I was playing with a lovely 3 man group after 1 person abandoned on the 1st round. After 2nd fragging the whole game and dealing with their constant comments after they were dead.
'Yellow lost that round for us'
'Yellow go back to COD'
'Yellow you suck so bad'
'OMG yellow you're spray' etc etc etc...
And doing my best to ignore it. I finally snapped towards the end of the match and told them to just kick me. They all loving suck etc. It really hurt my feelings guys :'(

Anywho, they kicked me after the last round. Curious if the round still counts or not. It shows up in my recent plays.

It still counts. I know this because I've up and down ranked after matches that I've being kicked from finish.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Famethrowa posted:

op sucks, thread sucks, your sens sucks, you suck, I suck, NA sucks, valve sucks, MM sucks, csgo sucks

tec9 doesn't suck

*wastes life getting better at game which sucks*

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

A TURGID FATSO posted:

lol what are you going to do, go have sex or something? pffffft

You should try it sometime, A TURGID FATSO.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

Context: I am a lovely gold nova.

Do you guys find you have more on/off games with the awp than with other rifles? I feel like I'm pretty much always at the same level when rifling but when I'm the team's awp I'm either on fire and untouchable or doing very poorly and looking to go back to rifling.

That's probably because your aim sucks and you rely too heavily on twitch shots.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Try playing some AWP DM, awping in general involves a lot of twitching but you should be doing everything in your power to reduce the incidence of a twitch kill, or at least reducing the distance your crosshair has to move. Practice picking good positions where you have easy cover, judging your expected reaction time and placing your crosshair at an appropriate distance off the corner so that when your enemy runs out, they'll run into your crosshair you just need to click. Nobody should be shoulder peeking you in Nova so you probably don't need to worry about that. You'll still twitch occasionally, but it shouldn't be significant.

qhat fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 11, 2016

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Faceit premium in general I've found to be better than valve solo queue. That doesn't mean it is totally without griefers though, although faceit admins I've heard are pretty heavy handed when it comes to people like that.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Jeza posted:

FaceIT griefer free?

No. But if you're in NA it's OK. In the EU I found it worse than MM by quite a stretch. Never seen so many games actively thrown. Premium queue a little better, but you have to pay.

Yes, don't even bother with faceit free EU, it is utter dogshit.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Photex posted:

Ultimate grief is going 14-0 and calling a tactical timeout to poo poo talk the other team.

I have cl_mute_enemy_team permanently enabled. 1-0 trolls.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Why would I pay for something that is a 'little better than quite a stretch worse than MM'. It sounds like Premium is still worse than MM.

*pays fifteen bucks for a dying internet forum account*

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The fact that it's a paywall, even a small paywall, eliminates a huge portion of literal children that play CS.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

I've literally never seen a timeout called that wasn't for griefing.

A few weeks ago I called a timeout when we were getting stomped hard and magically after that our team started winning. It's like loving black magic.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Navi going to go back to being poo poo again for the next 3 months

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

fwiw you can see the medal on their CSGO thing

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You've been conned, there is no update, there never will be an update, the only thing getting updated at this point is fat gaben's bank account.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

UnfurledSails posted:

I'm a bit stuck in Nova 3 & 4. Trying to get out of Nova's right now so I can be good enough to play in Faceit or something. Just got to the 100 hours mark, so here's a demo:

steam://rungame/730/76561202255233023/+csgo_download_match%20CSGO-J3Hna-s68w3-OZdoM-ucSXd-Njp7C

I have no idea who you are in this demo

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

UnfurledSails posted:

Oh poo poo sorry. It's Kem.
Most of your rounds seemed to play out fairly similarly so I won't really do a round-by-round analysis, I'll just point out the recurring things I noticed. First of all a lot of the times I saw you die it was because you were in an awkward position and out in the open with no cover with an awp. You played long a lot and I saw numerous times where you would fall back from corner into the middle of long and scope, right in the open. Had someone run around the corner and you missed your shot and you were in the open, you would be 100% dead. If you need to fall back, throw a flash and find cover quickly, and then re-scope a tight angle from there. Once you fire, fall into cover and then either change position again or go for the re-peek if you feel lucky.

You also seem to never buy a sidearm for your awp, this is a crucial mistake. Your sidearm exists so you have an effective weapon if you need to engage someone close range, the USP and glock are complete poo poo against armored opponents, and the AWP scoped or unscoped close range is far too unreliable.

Round 11 you were holding doors from long and it seemed like the enemy was camping long-tspawn. There was absolutely no need for you to push there, especially not with an AWP, and especially not with a with a garbage sidearm. Be a bit more patient and wait for them to push you.

Other things I noticed:
- CT-side 2nd round you buy kevlar but no sidearm (i.e 5-7 or p250) and end up having 900 bucks left over. Then the round after you buy a P250 but no armor. Instead, buy that p250 on the 2nd round with your kevlar (and helmet).
- T-side pistol round you don't buy anything. Don't do this. I get it that you want an AWP fast, but your team needs the pistol round more than you need an AWP. Get kevlar at the very least
- I saw literally 0 nade usage from you. This is going to severely hold you back as you move up the ranks, basic things like smoking cross and flashing over long doors never happened because 1) your team is dumb 2) you didn't buy nades to do it yourself. Please buy and use nades.
- You always play the same positions as CT, always awping long doors from corner or top mid from the humvee. If I saw someone doing this all the time, that would be perfect for me since I could just run out and prefire those positions, and you can be sure I would get those headshots 100% of the time given how common those positions are. Obviously this doesn't happen like ever at nova, but be aware the higher ranks will not be so forgiving to such obvious plays.

Also as one final piece of advice, your AWP didn't seem bad for a nova, however, and I hate to poo poo on your parade, but you are going to need to learn a gun that is not the Ay Vee Pee. That seemed to be literally the only gun you used all game and you would sacrifice complete buys to get one (glass cannon style). A couple of times I even saw two AWPs on T-side, which is just dumb. At this point I think you should probably stop using the AWP and focus on the other aspects of the game, such as nade usage (since you used basically none), rifling (although I have no idea how good you are with the rifle), and better positioning. For some reason silvers and novas seem to buy awps all the time because they think that that gun has the best chance of carrying them up the ranks, and that is simply not true. You need more than just AWP skills to move up.

Anyway that's my take, other people might spot other things.

qhat fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 13, 2016

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

UnfurledSails posted:

Thanks for the feedback.

The reason I kept playing AWP is that because that's my best weapon by far. I used to play the kar98k in CoD 1 and 2 so I guess I got used to one shot one kill weapons. There is a thrill that comes with hitting a close range flick headshot almost subconsciously. I used to play rifles exclusively when I started CSGO, and waited to see if anyone else bought an AWP before buying one, but then I realized someone always buys one no matter how good they are at it. I would never really get the chance. So a few days ago I just said gently caress it.

From my perspective I think if I play AWP more than rifles, and work on my positioning and nades, maybe I can be a good AWPer for higher ranks instead of a mediocre rifler.

As far as the upper ranks go, good snipers tend to be good riflers too. The problem with limiting yourself to an AWP is you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage when an AWP is completely not an appropriate choice of weapon. Retaking a bombsite, for example, almost mandates a rifle and you'll see decent players almost always dropping their awp for an ak on the floor before they retake. That's because it's extremely easy to get trade killed when entering the site if you only have an AWP, and its also just way more of a dinosaur to use when what you need is speed.

In short, even if you are good with the AWP, if you're not also good with rifles then you will be at a enormous disadvantage when rifling is absolutely required.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Jeza posted:

You can play this game forever and still be garbage with grenades, like me. It's ok to be a fail nader.

I actually can't count the times that a fail nade has saved the round.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

fennesz posted:

Can someone answer this question? Why and the ever loving gently caress is Thorin decked out like he's about to embark on a summit attempt on Everest for EVERY one of his loving videos? I could at least understand if all of his clothes had CSGO betting websites plastered all over them.

Someone setup a GoFundMe to get his heat turned on for fucks sake.

:wtc:

Why do you watch his videos? Like, do people really sit down to watch an often completely wrong manchild talk about video games for half an hour plus?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

fennesz posted:

I've clicked on, like, 8 posted in this thread or random reddit threads. I've watched listened to his content for a grand total of like 15 minutes.

Sometimes it seems as though he's talking about something and that he probably has an interesting angle on it, but god drat I'm not going to sit through 25-35 minutes of video games history to figure out what that is. Most of what he says could be said in 5 minutes or less. He's like the retarded guy who talks for ages about the intricacies of how train ticketing systems work, when really you just wanted to know what the fare was.

qhat fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 15, 2016

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

C9 are just pugstars and always have been

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I love how people on reddit think source 2 is coming even remotely soon, even though there is 0 evidence to even suggest it. If CSGO of getting a big update soon, my money is on unranked queue.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Stattrak boots, +1 for every step. You can prestige them when they get to 99999.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I actually liked adren, just a shame he's easily the worst player on the team.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

symbolic posted:

So a Valve dev and CS co-creator has been dropping hints about Newke on Reddit the past few days. So far, they're moving it from Germany to the U.S. Rust Belt, making it less CT-sided, the CTs will be Seal Team 6 and Ts will be Phoenix, and this image was taken outside of Mini.

Hyyyyype. :pcgaming:

Makes sense. There's no better place for Toxic than NA.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Apparently m0e is going to be sniping for liquid in the qualifier

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Also f3 have been playing like complete dogshit recently, I predict tstorm and g2 get that group easily.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The thing is being a pugstar doesn't really mean poo poo when you're playing against a bunch of players that you are very familiar with playing against.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

fennesz posted:

I do love that some people think GE's have magic powers. "Yeah he just auto'd three of us through a wall, he's probably just GE :downs:

That's not magic powers, that is video game hacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TRade it for a real life awp