Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

exethan posted:

mute people and dont worry about them

Yep.

I'll also ask nicely a few times for idiot kids to stop yelling into the mic. Then it's off to Mute City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Couple questions on counter strafing and stutter stepping.

What's the best way to practice this slowly? I'm going into HS only and Pistol only servers and doing O-K, but the engagements happen more quickly than I'm able to process, so I often don't understand why I land certain shots and miss others. People skating around back and forth are EXTREMELY difficult for me to hit, even when I'm standing still, and even if I'm trying to strafe at the same time they seem to hit me with ease.

As for my own counter strafing, I'm having a hell of a time getting the timing down under pressure. I can pop bots around the corners of walls all day long, but once I'm in game and they start shooting back, I can tell I'm not doing a good enough job of zeroing out my accuracy before firing. Anyone have any specific tips to practice this sort of thing? I'm worried I've got some bad muscle memory built up already, so this is something I'll need to deliberately work on to improve.

Something else I've been curious about. How do you guys move around the map yet stay ready to stop yourself and begin shooting when surprised by an enemy? I understand the concept of hitting the key opposite my movement to stop my momentum and reset my accuracy, but I'm almost ALWAYS moving at a diagonal when travelling around the map (holding W and A for example) because it allows me to maintain my distance from a corner while keeping my crosshair on it. What's the best way to counter strafe out of that to set myself up better when someone gets around that corner before I reach it? Do I need to hit two keys to stop my momentum (S and D)? Do people not spend as much time moving diagonally as I do?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Done and done, thanks.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
There's a console command that mutes them. I forget what it is though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm a fan of the folks with $3 mics who I can't understand at all. Some sound like they're under water or standing next to the intake of a turbine engine.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Just played a bit for the first time in several months. Holy poo poo the framerates are bad now. I even turned it all down to low and get sub 100FPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Are there settings that reduce haze in this game? I have a hard time seeing brown shirted Ts against brown hazy backgrounds.