Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'd compare the game less to Myst and more to things like Antichamber. There's no story, just some clever puzzles in an interesting setting, the audio files are "if I put in quotes by smart people, we can pretend I'm smart" so don't worry about trying to figure out some narrative, just enjoy the ride.

Still an interesting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omobono posted:

Finally, anyone knows the context of that Eddington quote? It sound completely idiotic out of context.

Think of it like what Neil DeGrasse Tyson does, using allegory and humour to convey to the general public what's going on in the world of science. In this case not only moving the perspective to a different frame of reference (as if we consciously needed to manage things which on our macro scale are automatic), but also touching on the idea that "impossible" is similar-yet-still-distinct from "sufficiently improbable."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Glazius posted:

I think that, to the extent that the Eddington quote means anything, it's to get you to consider what you did to get through the door, and despite how complex it might seem, there's another perspective where it was so mundane as to be beneath notice.

That said, wow at that big intimidating door puzzle that became totally understandable in ten minutes' time. It seems we're in for some quality puzzling.

A lot of the puzzles where they combine parts have that sort of feeling.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oh, and when you have a row of puzzles, once you solve one you can hit left/right to shift to the next instead of backing out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Let's just watch the whole video before commenting more.
--There is no triangle-tutorial area, the layabout puzzles are it.
--Chained ones like the trees shut down and make you re-do the last one to make sure you learned how to do it and haven't found things by luck, since they're teaching areas.
--Crackly sound is a glitch, when you get into areas it has trouble rendering. I played the game on a toaster so I was hearing that stuff all the time.
--You figured out "it has to be mirrored" a lot faster than I did, kudos.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 13, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The British guy in that video is James Burke, probably best known, in the States at least, as the host of the Connections series. That show would take one idea and follow the innovations that it influenced, and then the ones that built off THAT and so on and see where they go. The one I remember is a long chain between polaroids and car engines, so "the reason you can have a photo finish of the Indy 500, is because you can have a photo finish of the Indy 500."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yeah, the pretentious crap is the part of this game that I somewhat nebulously referred to earlier. And, actually, James Burke is on the acceptable end of the spectrum you'll witness (ha) in this game. There is one more video you can unlock that I think is also pretty good - you'll find it eventually, I'm sure - but from there on, the videos and audio logs are mostly just a rapid descent into the rabbit hole of pretentious wank that epitomizes Blow's ideas about what makes something good and interesting.

I found a lot of the quotes really interesting, but their placement in the game is nonsensical at best because it tries to hang them in a metastory context. Not only do they not have any relationship to the game, they usually don't have any relationship with each other.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

RickVoid posted:

I got really, really happy when it turned out to be Burke in that video. Haven't heard him talk science in a while, the Connections computer game was my favorite puzzle game for a long, long time. :allears:

noooot yeeeeeeet

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shaded Spriter posted:

Edit: also thinking about the actual video - The "people who have the knowledge" now is basically educators/entertainers on The Internet. The Scientists and the Technologists don't have the knowledge - the Science Communicators - the Technologists who create ways for people to connect to.

I'd say the knowledge is still in the sciences, but the communicators have a VITAL role in translation. Just because you know a bunch of stuff doesn't mean you can communicate it well, and people are valued who can translate Science into Normal, or even Science into Science; fields get so specialized and have certain assumptions that it can be difficult to talk cross-field.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

You're now at a puzzle (that grid in the water room) which took me a LONG time to figure out. These ones are clever but some of the angles are very finicky.

If you're interested in going completionist, note that all the small switches also count as "puzzles" and each way they can be solved counts for one. Open a door? That's a puzzle. Move that third hex up top to the left? The switch for that is a puzzle, and moving it back to the right is also a puzzle.

Paul.Power posted:

My masters is in Science Communication, although I'm never entirely sure if I'm using it right. If nothing else, it broadened my view of how science connects in to everything else.

My favorite personal story is from eight or so years ago, when I was catching up with my old college roommate and fellow physics major. He was doing oceanography stuff in a program where a lot of the coworkers were from a biology background, and the relief was palpable that he could describe his work to me without needing to fill in gaps like "and we know these values are equal because it's not moving so the forces balance." Balancing the forces is drilled into any freshman physics major, by the time he'd finished describing what he was looking at I had already equalized everything in my head just by reflex. It was a neat conversation and really illuminated the idea for me of different base assumptions and communication difficulties not meaning people are smarter or dumber.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dominoes posted:

I thought the underground (dark room) water puzzles were the most unintuitive in the game.

Agreed. "Tracing the light to the screen and working the angles" is fine in theory, but there are a lot of light sources in there and some which feel like they *should* work don't.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The town is definitely an overwhelming place to stumble into early. It's one of the endgame areas, and each puzzle there involves one (or multiple) of the tools you learn from around. Neat to explore, but you can't do much there yet except by accident. Good job on the maze, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Specifically the point I think you've missed for black/white puzzles: all a white dot cares about is being separated from black dots and vice-versa. Whether it's connected to the other whites or in a box by itself, it's happy.

It's hard to tell from just dialogue (since it sounds like there's a lot of hand gestures, there definitely were when I played) but I think that's what's giving you guys hangups.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I know some of us who already finished this have been posting nudges in spoilers (and trying to keep even the stuff in spoilers as just a nudge, I know I've agonized over "is this too much info" before hitting post a few times). Now that you solved the one in that walking maze, I can repost a couple as examples:

FPzero posted:

I'm going to put some details on the black and white dots mechanics that I'm not sure you've fully grasped in spoilers because you might not want to read them but unfortunately the tutorial doesn't illustrate it very clearly. Read it only if you feel like you're still missing something with the dots mechanic.

Colored dots like the black and white ones you've found have a very simple puzzle mechanic behind them. All you need to do is separate the colors from one another with your line. There is no fancy "you must pass the line between each black and white dot" like the tutorial appears to suggest. Don't worry, I had similar trouble grasping the mechanic at first too because I was over-complicating things.

Bruceski posted:

Specifically the point I think you've missed for black/white puzzles: all a white dot cares about is being separated from black dots and vice-versa. Whether it's connected to the other whites or in a box by itself, it's happy.

It's hard to tell from just dialogue (since it sounds like there's a lot of hand gestures, there definitely were when I played) but I think that's what's giving you guys hangups.

As long as we don't get out of hand, would you be fine with that sort of thing continuing or would you rather we hold off entirely? I've been trying to keep it to places where you could wind up stuck (the town being full of "you're supposed to learn about all this stuff from other areas" puzzles when others have been tutorials for example) or where the tutorial can let you walk away with an incomplete conclusion (like the dots there. I can't recall if the tutorial had some that broke the cluster rule but it's definitely easily missed).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That said, I love the dynamic of you guys solving these things, and it does have a feeling of interaction. In this latest video I caught myself pointing at my monitor as parts of the puzzle passed through your view, it probably looked like I was watching Blue's Clues or something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

tlarn posted:

Ohhh I see now, I kept assuming it was an open-circuit-closed-circuit sort of puzzle mechanic; that's much simpler. I guess this would be the point where I'd be reevaluating the mechanic if I was playing it.

I worked out a method for some later puzzles that worked fine until it didn't. When explaining my in-hindsight-really-convoluted method to my brother to see what I was missing, the only reply he could think of was "You're not on the right track, you're not even at the right station, but I wish you were because what little I understood of what you just said sounds like a wonderful puzzle for a different game."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Post your odd solution in spoilers, please.

When those puzzles show up I will. Even though it's on the wrong track, explaining it is most easily done by referencing the proper method, and I'd rather not contribute to hiving them early hints on that. I prefer to keep those to places where they're *already* stuck.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

A couple of things to hopefully make future episodes easier:
--the symbols on the boat map (29:04 has a good view) are the "core" puzzles in that area, though some of them aren't easily deciphered until you go there and figure those puzzles out. For example just below the current dock is a symbol for those shadow puzzles in the forest and the castle mazes next to it but they're just squiggles. Still, this can be helpful if you keep seeing some puzzle element and want to target the tutorial area, or just for navigation.
--The spot you opened in the symmetry pottery area (the "the wall fell down what the heck did that accomplish" bit) was a dock, though it was shut down at the time. I don't know if the boat unlocks based on number of puzzles or if certain docks start active (I first hit it at a different dock from you) but now that you've activated it all the docks should be available both to disembark at and to summon a boat at.
--The hedgehog/starbursts you guys saw at 35:00 are not the same as the white/black squares you've been working with so far, and have different rules. I have bad eyesight and played at low quality so it took me ages to figure that out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah you guys are overthinking it, or rather trying to tackle each board as a whole. In Part 8 you seemed to figure out some of what the Y was asking with the on-line dots, but instead of saying "how do these red/green work and Y interact with that" you're trying to make a NEW rule for Y.

The blinking is probably throwing you off as well. I don't know why he didn't make ALL puzzles do that, but blinking means "this symbol is breaking one of its rules" no matter what that symbol is.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 9, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

As you guys noticed, this is where they teach you that shape matters more than color (though some shapes care about what color they are). I think they should have done that in the first black/white squares tutorial, though. That would have pre-empted some places in the quarry where y'all were getting confused by the colors.

It's also where I really hated the graphic design. At 39:00, I cannot tell that the purple starbursts are starbursts rather than squares, they're just a blur. This game is not friendly to visual, hearing or spatially-impaired.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

There are some places where you'd need to completely scrub the puzzles, but for example in the mangrove swamp, the problem (for me) is that the purple is too similar to the dark gray of the background when the puzzle gets that small. There's no reason those couldn't have a high-contrast mode. Or for other puzzles just use black/white symbols when there are only two colors (admittedly the number of workable solutions in those cases goes down as the number of colors in a puzzle goes up).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

--You are right about rotating paths in the mangrove swamp. You've seen how to do it, just haven't realized you did so yet. Not telling you how because I'm evil.
--The boat in the... I call it a juice lake, is at the end of that course. It's one of the places you can first unlock the boat, same way the quarry dock was useless until you lowered the stairs. The beginning is accessed from overland.
--Peter's idea of keeping the color families together in the greenhouse is basically the method I figured out that held me through the yellow ones (because everything's working on primary colors there). But I had it very complex along the lines of "magenta is blue and red so it can be paired with either, but blue and red can't go together, black can go with any, cyan and magenta can go together because they share blue..." and so on. Somehow it managed to work for the first two puzzles, and completely failed on the third but I was too invested in it to go look at the old puzzles fresh. My brother had to tell me I was on completely on the wrong track. Or rather on the right track but in a way that would not leave me able to solve them.
--The end puzzle of the greenhouse is one of my favorites, but you guys should probably have a pencil and paper. Taking notes rather than just cell phone photos is very useful.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Post your odd solution in spoilers, please.

This is what I was talking about. Solving the greenhouse puzzles without using the walls, just breaking the colors into components in my head.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

And that 17:30 puzzle is where my first convoluted approach to the greenhouse already paid off, because I was used to breaking those down into the component parts.

E: and yeah, Eddington also provided the "easier to [...] than for a scientist to walk through a doorway."

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 19, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jungle hint: if the sound does not fit on the graph, maybe it's not the right sound.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Air is lava! posted:

I hated that place the most. I am way to tone deaf. I knew exactly what I needed to do, but was not able to do it.

My computer's had the skipping audio in there. Caused the sorts of issues you can imagine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shaded Spriter posted:

Taking notes in the Elevator is how I solved that one too...Actually had a good system of assigning each square a letter. doing the first colour and then the second changing the ones that changed colours to other letters.

I made notes of whether they reflected red green and blue light. So in the bottom room I'd mark every dot except the far left ones with an R, then as it goes up a floor to magenta (red and blue) everything but the far right gets a B (confirmed on the blue floor) and then the cyan room adds G to everything except those two dots in the middle.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Slaan posted:

I'm watching when you are at the rotating L shaped bridge and I'm yelling about Remember Colored Squares? :argh:

Except the tetrad squares don't follow that rule, it's the large rounded squared. On the L map you NEED to connect the L to squares of two other different colors.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

You distracted yourselves right at the end. "Oh, we pumped the water out of the red area. I guess next time we'll IGNORE THAT and go tromping around the other side of the area looking for somewhere new to explore."

This doesn't even count as a spoiler, this is just herding a forgetful kitten.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

JEBOman posted:

Puzzles with multiple solutions don't count as multiple puzzles in the counter, as far as I am aware. I made this mistake when searching for my last few puzzle panels when 100%ing the game and did some experimenting to find that they don't.

Really? I was told they did, and if that's wrong I'm sorry for the misinformation.

In the water room, each of the switches to raise/lower the water counts separate, right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man, if you guys freaked out about this video, I look forward to the candle.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BTW, as far as "endgame" stuff, there are 11 lasers total, you only need 7 to open up the mountain but I'd do all of them first. The mountain has more puzzles like the village which combine stuff so an understanding of the mechanics will help.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shaded Spriter posted:

It is spoilers - but anyone who has played it and want to know more about the Candle scene and how it fits into The Witness. Extra Credits did a video about it a couple of weeks ago.

I get what it's supposed to mean, but separated from the context of the movie there's nothing compelling about watching it. You can assign meaning to it after the fact, but like the video from this episode the actual watching is excruciating, and not in the way the actual movie wants to convey. It's not as bad a use as the James Burke clip, which is supposed to be a capstone on 10 hours of context, but at least the audio logs around the world are usually fully-contained ideas, not snippets you're just supposed to know about.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think my favorite perspective vignette is by the paint swamp boat dock, where you can line the girl on the cage reaching down with the mountain woman reaching up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

How to unlock the monastary further:
--Go to the tree in the back. The one with a puzzle on its pot, not the big one in the middle.
--Solve it in any other way.
You guys managed to stumble onto the one solution that doesn't change anything. Since you're running low on new places to explore and have walked up to it three times without poking further, I think this hint is warranted.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

For the bamboo/temple door, I'd like to draw your attention to 30:12.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

tlarn posted:

That candle video would absolutely be a Monty Python skit in any other universe, played straight until the last moment where a young punk blows it out and says a bunch of slang quick-fire and runs off.

I think a Python version would pan over to show a table at a fancy restaurant, and he's lighting someone's cigarette or the flambe. They tended to go for juxtaposition rather than abusive actions.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

pedrovay2003 posted:

Holy crap are we that close? Then we're definitely going to take it to completion after this next part (which will be up soon!).

"completion"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fedule posted:

You fuckers. You absolute fuckers. Not even an entire minute. Activating the panel to finding the broken branch in under a minute. gently caress you. gently caress you.

IT TOOK ME TWO REAL LIFE DAYS TO EVEN THINK OF THAT!!

Okay so you floundered for a while putting it all together but aaaaaaaa :supaburn:

(You remember what I was saying earlier about how different people variously destroy and get destroyed by different puzzles?)

I had the same reaction.

E: as for the town greenhouse bit, remember the elevator.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oh, and I saw a dot to click on in this video during the Connections movie (the first one). Where is left as an exercise to others, because where's the fun in only one guy figuring it out?

• Locked thread