Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

I meant conceptually rather than design. One of the things I liked about og Doom from the beginning was it's sense of isolation. Not just your isolation concerning the absence of any other humans in the game, but also the isolation of the full on satanic Hell being unleashed and the total silence of heaven in the face of it. As a kid, I always imagined that heaven in the Doomverse was either powerless or just empty ruins and long dead, like a Pharaoh's tomb. For me, Doom wasn't just an action game, but a kind of existentially scary one. But I was a weird kid.

I was a weird kid too and you basically summed up something about the original Dooms that I always sort felt and thought about but just never parsed into words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I really liked how the Cyberdemon looked in DOOM 2016, but I was not prepared for how much I would love seeing the Cyberdemon in Doom Eternal look exactly like how he looked in DOS.

Goddamn.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't think there were many levels in OG Doom where you'd get Berserk early enough to really make it obvious that it lasted the entire level. By the time most people could notice Berserk was still in effect all the demons were paste.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just want to say I think it's loving awesome decision to allow us to see Doomguys face through his visor. He looks so loving angry and ready to rip and tear. Dude has serious motherfucking attack eyebrows.

If you want to be a faceless ubermench in a helmet, the good news is that Halo is right there.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah, this. And I can practically smell the fedora coming off the ":smug: if you want a faceless guy go play halo" takes

e: I look at doomguy's face the same way I look at the lore. It's there and it exists but it should be totally optional and ignorable. Have his face on the box art or an easter egg or whatever, not in the game itself.

Nothing fedora-ish or smug about it.

Just watch this gif. It would lose a healthy amount of intensity if we couldn't catch a glimpse of how loving scowly Doomguy is.

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/1217823902199635971?s=20

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 16, 2020

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Not sure what to suggest you do to make it work. Maybe you'll need instagram or be over the age of 17 since it's Doom's official IG.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I should have linked to their Twitter post to begin with:

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/1217823902199635971?s=20

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If they can do a Doom Movie properly it'll be one where the Demons are the protagonists just trying to survive against the Doom Marine the entire time.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How is this game not out already???

All I want to do is rip and tear!!!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This game is pure rip and tear.

Until it stops you dead in your killing tracks and asks you to figure out some platforming bullshit like near the start of the Super Gore Nest level.

Like, what the gently caress am I supposed to do here? I've been wandering around the level with the big center point jump pad for like 15 minutes and can't figure out how to get to the next section.

(edit: nm, figured it out finally. It takes a bit to shift from murder spree mode into think things out mode)

I just want to kill demons, let me kill demons.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How are you guys running out of ammo during fights? You chainsaw one dude and it's literally an ammo pinata.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Was playing HMP Extra Life Permadeath Mode and got as far as the first Marauder. He utterly destroyed me.

Welp. Looks like I'm starting over, this time just normal HMP.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The plasma gun is the only weapon that just feels kinda bad - the game basically had to create highly niche enemies to justify its existence, while the other guns all have highly specific uses as well but also a more general utility - like the rocket launcher is great for locking on to enemies with jerky movements / auto-deleting hell knights but it's also perfectly fine to just dump rockets into crowds or lob them at super-heavies, whereas I don't think I ever used the plasma gun at all aside from the 3 enemies that are basically giant flashing "plasma is a hard counter" billboards.

I think overall the game does a great job of letting you use whatever weapons you want while also mixing in some spots where you can make your life significantly easier by using the "right" tools, but the plasma gun just doesn't really feel like it has a place. I think they could have avoided that but they stumbled hard on the alt-fire modes.

This reads like a person who hasn't put any points into the plasma gun and then ran to the computer to tell everyone how bad it is.

Jack Trades posted:

You know what would've been a really nice thing to have. Some sort of move that would instakill a flashing enemy if you can't reach them with a glory kill.

There is, it's called shooting them with literally any weapon.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 13, 2020

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tried Battlemode for the first time last night and goddamn I got owned in every game as the Demons AND as the Slayer.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BFG doesn't make Icon of Sin that much easier but I don't know how you avoid using the Crucible.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

multijoe posted:

I'd used it so little through the rest of the game it didn't even occur to me at first, eventually I relented just to get rid of the Barons of Hell but for the rest of the game it just felt like a way of cheating myself out of fun encounters with rare enemy types

Ya I used it to split most super heavies and then whenever the game gave me refills for it I knew it was because something really bothersome was going to teleport in.

I took considerable enjoyment in lopping the heads off Cyberdemons the instant they show up.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Snicker-Snack posted:

Holy poo poo guys I did it!

Legit impressive. You are now the Goon Slayer Incarnate.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Yup, I'm wrong. I think I either missed this text or saw the video and thought it was just like 2016 which I'd recently played (and there were a lot of dumb tutorial videos just before this point, so I wasn't expecting something big to be in the text only and not the video)

Dude, the chainsaw tutorial video and try out is like the FIRST one.

Jesus rip & tearing Christ

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think it's probably a design choice.

2 pips will let you chainsaw 2 fodder demons for enough ammo to deal with the heavier demon types through conventional weapon use.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jerkface posted:

this doesnt have any new information its based off the "DM" that was already posted. Why doesnt news website actually ask Mick Gordon himself?

Because game journalism.

Ciaphas posted:

I jumped it first try and thought nothing of it :shrug:

The game literally halts you, shows you an image that explicitly states SUPER SHOTGUN MEATHOOK and tells you about it before presenting you with a zombie standing with it's back to you on a ledge.

And goons complain that there's too many tutorial pop ups...

edit: I'm just giving you poo poo, not that I'm rip & tear levels of angry at you or anything.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 22, 2020

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

All the people calling for Mick Gordon to get to remix the full soundtrack and not one of them I've seen calling for the Mickstape.

Against all the outrage that Twitter can conjure, all the comments that mankind can produce, we will send unto them only you.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I've been doing:

M-Up: Change Grenade
M-Down: Shoot Grenade
Q: SSG
E: Ballista
Z: RAWKIT LAWNCHER
X: Chaingun
L-Ctrl: BFG/Unmaykr

Other stuff is default.

I'm always curious about people's binds.

MW Up - Ballista
MW Down - SSG
MW Press - BFG
MThumb 1 - Flame
MThhumb 2 - Grenade

1: Shotty
2: Rifle
3: Plasma
4: Rocket
5: Chaingun

Q: Previous Weapon
R: Switch Grenade Type
F: Change Mod
E: Punch/Glory Kill
C: Chainsaw
V: Crucible

Shift: Dash
Space: Jump

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't wait to see this Marauder and either chump it or get owned for an hour

Got destroyed by the first encounter with it, which absolutely wrecked me since I was running HMP Single Life mode and had used all my 1-ups previous to meeting him and during the fight.

After grinding my way back to him I used the SSG Ballista quickswitch method and completely clowned him and all subsequent Marauders.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't know who needs to hear this but since the running theme with this game is goons missing vital tid bits of information...

The Ice Bomb and Frag Grenade don't share cool-down. You fire one, switch, and fire the other for extra rip & tear.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You can also hella spam remote det rockets without needing to be very accurate (or as accurate as you might normally be with vanilla no lock-on rockets) and the upgrade that increases falter is useful on just about every demon.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm slowly chipping away at Ultra Nightmare, currently on Gore Nest and whenever I see a Caco I'm stoked because I get to feed him a grenade and the Instant Health reward from pulling their eye out is always welcome.

I love me some Caco.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why isn't the soundtrack for Eternal out yet?

IS IT BECAUSE OF THE NEWS ABOUT THE DRAMA BETWEEN MICK GORDON AND BETHESDA? HAVE YOU GUYS HEARD?

:perfect:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The story does kind of retcon poo poo to explain why Doomguy can do things like dash, air dash and double jump and his inhuman strength during glory kills. His god infusion also has the comical effect of explaining things like his hammer-space. I don't mind it, I mean you're still the Doomguy from Doom 1 deep down inside that suit of armor.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Rocket launcher felt like a super weak weapon.

This reads like someone who didn't dump any points into lock on burst.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How can platforming be frustrating? You lose a tiny bit of health from missed jumps and the game literally respawns you right back to the ledge you fell like an idiot from and pats you on the head.

I could see it being a major bummer if it was more punishing, but as it is D:E is loving baby shoes when it comes to platforming difficulty.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tentacles are basically piranha plants.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

If Mick's statement was false then they had an opportunity to provide a compelling statement that Mick was lying.

This ain't it.

I think it's an appropriate response to threats being sent to the peeps in question and they're obviously not going to empty their pockets of whatever information they have to refute Mick Gordon all over Twitter.

Still...

Remulak posted:

Shutting up would have been smarter, this only reinforces Micks’s specific claim that Marty is a Musk-level insecure rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Esran posted:

That's what they did last year though, at a point when they had way less reason to fight in public at all.

Well that's just :sloppy: