Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Black Baby Goku posted:

Remember that quake 2 HD remaster that came with quake 4

This was a packin with Quake 4 on 360 as well. Quake 4 had a couple of cool moments but I love that years later, the absolute best FPS you can get on the 360 are still DOOM, Quake II and Duke Nukem 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

With chainsaw kills AND a four barreled shogtun I hope some smart person makes some custom content of The Legend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAz6ip1WK08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqD2jdKBdA8

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 23, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I think in games the two greatest shotguns ever are of course the Doom II super shotgun and the shotgun in the original Metal Slug. Every time you fire it the entire screen flashes white for a split second as anyone within half a screen of it gets bloodily blown apart and vaporized. :black101:

The "slow but strong" weapon in S.A.R.: Search and Rescue also by SNK deserves some mention, but it's helped by that game's ultra ultra ultra gore for something made in 1989. Sick game plus just like Doom a few of the songs sound like they wished they were making a Black Sabbath album a little too hard...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j6JfFNDyLU

Despite it of course being a huge Alien/Aliens ripoff, Konami actually borrowed a couple of things like the yellow acid spitting xenomorphs for their official Aliens game a year later. :D

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 23, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

JerryLee posted:

The SSG isn't just satisfying to use, it's effective, to the extent that those are two distinct qualities. Effective and versatile. I can't think of a single enemy in the stock bestiary that it's bad against, unless you count being an inefficient use of ammo against the very weakest enemies, which is only a problem in maps that are stingy with their supplies. I'll often use it against Barons or Cyberdemons even when I have nominally more powerful weapons.

It's true, it's 50 full on shotgun blasts to kill a Cyberdemon on default so the super shotgun doing 2.8x damage lets it hang against anything.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The UT rocket launcher's only flaw is that it's not the 8-ball launcher fron Unreal 1. I know why it was toned down a bit for balance but I wish they kept the look of it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Welcome to the Early FPS megathread v2, brought to you by sperglord16!

Blow it out your rear end.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

If I'm using Chocolate Doom and I own Final Doom on Steam, is it easy to take the WADs from Steam and drop them into the source port or whatever?

This is definitely the case because every computer I've ever had to the present I've been able to use DOOM/II/Heretic/etc. WAD files of mine from like 1995.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PlaneGuy posted:

only if it looks like a soft reboot but halfway through you realize it was a sequel the whole time

Ideally it seems like it's its own thing but then about halfway through after the doom guy kills a pair of hell barons the Rock rolls out like "ONCE YOU BEAT THE BIG BADASSES YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO WIN, RIGHT?!" and cuts a demonic promo paraphrasing that entire text blurb.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BOOTY-ADE posted:

It really is a balance between the people who like the classic run 'n gun speed style, and other people who like to chew scenery and find all the hidden fun secret stuff. I love both so that's why I felt DO4M was perfect - speed, awesome level/monster design, and a cool backstory that doesn't take itself seriously but takes the story in a slightly different direction (e.g. with the UAC knowingly, deliberately using people as guinea pigs for crazy demon poo poo)

Yeah I've played DOOM and DOOM ][: HELL ON EARTH basically forever since they were new. I'm replaying DO4M again recently and I'm still astounded by how perfect and awesome and fun it is. I know DOOM ]['s levels are worse in a lot of ways than the original's but DO4M really feels like the perfect combination of every good quality each of the first three games had.

I think the ONLY nitpick I have is that I wish there were a few more filler demons in between areas. I think that's something that almost harder to design well now than it was for the original DOOM though as spaces get less abstract. The engine limitations resulted in some very cool tricks regarding the monster's behavior at the time, but DOOM 1 especially made incredible use of monster closets. Monsters can't be spawned in DOOM they have to all be placed in the level ahead of time. So while it had plenty of instances of pick up items/pull switch -> wall opens and a bunch of demons attack you, it also has a lot of triggers where a room opens some some distance from where the player is so that you'd have a few pinky demons wandering around, or a small pack of imps in a spot you already covered. I love stuff like that because it kept the ambient monster noises going and despite the fast action of the game it kept things as intense as a game made at its time with its technology could possibly do. The trick with the pentagram/tiny tiny barely visible wall/teleporting demons in the Military Base level is a straight up achievement.

Compare to the embarrassment of DOOM 3 where yeah they could spawn monsters, AND you can tell they built levels with an actual architectural sensibility of like okay we don't have to be abstract this was an actual space human beings worked/lived/traversed through routinely, AND they had all kinds of cool crawling/scrambling/leaping animations for the monsters to navigate the levels in ways the player can't. And that's awesome, but then instead of using that they had entire areas where it was just like, you walk down a hallway and every few feet a small closet that only exists to contain exactly one imp opens up. Part of the reason that game gets a lot better once you're in hell is because the more abstract architecture makes the lack of creativity with enemy placement less obvious. DOOM 3 even had the right idea at first with zombies that would keep coming back unless you shot them in the head or blew them apart, but they got rid of that in the actual released game. One of the mods for it makes the zombies truly unkillable like in the alpha. I haven't played through the whole game like that but it made for a pretty awesome experience as you're approaching the last leg of each level and this slowly growing horde is starting to really come together by slowly following you endlessly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I remember talking to a friend of mine as a teenager about how cool it'd be to have a game with both persistent corpses and corpse physics to the point where you could actually change the level geometry significantly.

Like where you can take cover behind the corpse-walls.

Maybe someday...

This was already a thing on the Commodore 64. Nemesis: The Warlock is a game where you play as a demon named Nemesis (the warlock) in a future space dystopia and have to destroy Inquisitor Torquemada by slaughtering inquisitors to create a pile so high you can climb up to his space fortress and kill him. Based on the 2000 A.D. comic by the same name.

It's definitely a thing that can happen, like Ultima IX is one of the worst (hyped big release) games ever made but you could do stuff with stackable objects and things in it that would make Trespasser blush. Like just straight up Loony Toons variously sized things stacked up as high as you want that you could climb to avoid having to activate a hovering platform and stuff.

Like it's all the technology is present and it's been kinda sorta done in various forms on a variety of hardware, just no one's taken it to the next level yet and given us the equivalent of, like, an Otogi game where the bodies are persistent or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Like I want this level, but instead of the character being able to infinitely jump in air you can only like double/triple jump and have to stack up all these monsters to get out. (around 4m25s) and you're the Doomguy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQm5YTmtGTk

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Days Gone look very similar to Doom 3 in that it's something with some cool ideas and tech and so on in it but the end result is going to be very very boring.

Zaphod42 posted:

On commodore, so 2d right? I figured 3d was implied talking about fps.

Torquemada, that was a 40k game eh?

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but a very very very large amount of stuff in early 40K/Games Workshop was very brazenly ripped off from 2000 A.D. comics like Dredd, Nemesis, Strontium Dog, etc. so you would definitely get a kick out of their early to mid 80s comics. Early 40K even had "Judges" straight up instead of Commissars and their mutants were literally the psychics from Judge Dredd and stuff. Inquisitor Torquemada of course I assume needs no introduction.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lobok posted:

Ok, so what about this: demons finally figure out that taking over Mars and Earth doesn't work so they invade Heaven. How's a Doomguy supposed to get up to Heaven? Well he can build a Tower of Babel out of demon corpses.

This would also be a perfect in for a Heretic 2 crossover.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Glory kill in excelsis deo.

The final boss could be Todd Hollenshead's impaled head shielded by the ICON OF VIRTUE

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

A chastity belt?

The collector's edition for this one of going to be awesome!!!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I love Nioh but most of those bosses really are each a brick wall in their own way because like you say, they're so totally Ninja Gaiden action game style bosses out of nowhere compared to how so many fo the game's regular enemies work.

Tollymain posted:

i kind of agree with you here on a lot of things but is it really out of character for dark souls to expect you to notice a path visible from the bonfire or you flopping on the ground and heaving yourself over instead of rolling after putting on more/heavier equipment

Dark Souls 1's opening hubs and paths were 100% made with the assumption that you played Demon's Souls and know "Skeleton - advanced because they're an undead pile of bones and don't even bother using edged weapons on them early on," etc. Like if you started out with an armored class, take off some armor, and still do the fat roll it would be understandable if someone didn't realize it made a difference since the game doesn't actually mention this.

Dark Souls 1's opening was even more of a gently caress you pre-patch though. When it launched on PS3/360 possessed/re-animated enemies like skeletons didn't even drop any souls, so even if you know to just punch them or use a blunt weapon on them and made your way to the dead end, it was still a huge waste of time. And if you happened to go to the ruins first after starting out you'd quickly find out you don't have any way to damage the ghosts there and that when they kill you you're cursed by having your life permanently cut in half and that effect accumulates 3X so your life can be 1/8th of what it normally would be...

...and it really seem permanent because originally you couldn't actually get an item that removes curses until another few hours into the game.

Anyway all of that was changed via a patch a bit after the game came out, there were quite a few other balance changes too to make the game a little more accessible to people for whom this was their first one. Amusingly because of this the "Prepare to Die Edition" released on PC later on is actually the easiest version of the game.

I've always respected FromSoftware a lot for being willing to ditch or otherwise drastically change up stuff without losing the core of how they want their games to work, but there's always going to be some stuff that's unfairly hard due to lack of info in them when they want to try to walk the line between having the world's systems be as "in character" as possible.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

Everyone does

Suffer through the first game's complex late 00's control system and enjoy the story while the sequel flips the two aspects around, with fun, fluid controls (being able to hold jump to control your height instead of charging it makes things so much easier...) while grimacing your way through the story and wrecking of a great character

Plus, similar to games like DOOM and The Force Unleashed, you're an unstoppable Juggernaut of literal mass destruction, which is great

Do the folks that made the Prototype games still do stuff? They started out with Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Now that Marvel can do whatever they want they should just get those folks to just do a straight up do a new one of those where you can coop as Hulk and Juggernaut.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

dogstile posted:

I think I would have liked it more if observing something didn't usually mean "this thing basically one shots you, enjoy your walk back, fuckface".

Games more tedious than difficult at that point.

The Flamelurker in Demon's Souls is one of my favorite bosses ever for this reason for how smoothly the fight progresses. In the early parts of it he'll sometimes just, like, not give a poo poo about you and wander off. Occasionally wandering or hopping over to take a few swipes at you. He gets gradually more aggressive as his life gets lower until towards the end he's just doing that massive fireball explosion punch in your face at point blank range over and over again until he dies. :black101: If you're not using magic it can be a very difficult boss but at the same time the fight is built so that you get time during the battle to organically learn the ins and outs of how he behaves without getting crushed the instant you enter the room.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Actually, In the beginning of ds1 you can go 3 ways, and if you got the master key you can go 6 ways :smuggo:

The funniest thing about this was how in the first release you could screw yourself if you checked out the New Londo Ruins first since you were unlikely to get the item that let you damage ghosts at the time and you straight up couldn't get the item time that would remove the ghosts' curse when they killed you (which could accumulate 3X over so your max life would be 1/8 it's normal maximum until a few hours into the game. But that and a bunch of other things were changed up which was humorous because the version of the game subtitled the "Prepare to Die Edition" is significantly easier than the vanilla game.

The other great gently caress you was how originally skeletons and possessed/spirit/ghost sort of enemies didn't even drop souls so the game just totally wastes your time and tells you to gently caress off on multiple levels if you go anywhere but towards the Undead Burg first. :laffo:

But the benefit of the un-patched game was the item use duplication glitch so you could just walk around spitting out an endless stream of throwing knifes like a knife flame thrower. :3:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 30, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

They actually give you the item that you need to damage ghosts on the road to the zone where you encounter ghosts. You can use them up pretty fast, but the ghosts themselves also drop them. Its not really that hard.

IIRC that corpse with them was something added in the initial wave of patches too and even then it's just two of them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I would like to helpfully point out that we have an active ds1 thread for all platforms: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855732

ONCE YOU BEAT THE CAPRA DEMON AND
CLEAN OUT BLIGHTTOWN YOU'RE SUPPOSED
TO WIN, AREN'T YOU? AREN'T YOU? WHERE'S
YOUR CURE FOR THE HOLLOWING CURSE AND
TICKET TO ANOR LONDO? WHAT THE HELL
IS THIS? IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO END THIS
WAY!

IT STINKS LIKE THE GAPING DRAGON, BUT
LOOKS LIKE THE NEW LONDO RUINS. LOOKS
LIKE YOU'RE STUCK ON THE SHORES OF
LORDRAN, THE ONLY WAY OUT IS THROUGH.

TO CONTINUES THE DARK SOULS EXPERIENCE,
PLAY DARK SOULS II AND ITS AMAZING
SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR, BLOODBORNE!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Let’s talk about how I’m dying for any info about Eternal :( something, anything

:same:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

IMMINENT AMAZING SEQUEL AHEAD, THEREFORE HURRAH FOR REVENANT!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve seen multiple blind lets plays, some folks know to run or figure it out, some don’t. Just because you’re one of the ones who figured it out doesn’t mean it’s communicated in an obvious way. Its not too hard to figure out, but if you’re already expecting the bosses to be brick walls based on the games reputation, the demon doesn’t seem that out of the ordinary. Especially since he’s actually beatable.

One thing I have to give Demon's Souls a LOT of credit for, it has the best tutorial of all of them in terms of getting you to mind your surroundings and pay attention to the scenery for clues, even if it's the least elaborate starting area of them all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pomp posted:

I've been calling this game Retard5

Just four most posts to go and you win.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DOOM 5TERNAL

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

more like DOOM RET5RDNAL

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Are the skeletons different then the ghosts with the weird ranged attack and the water? Cause that's where I got to and got stuck when I first played Souls.

This is correct, Dark Souls 1 opens up with not just one but two go gently caress yourself paths.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, skeletons are hard if you've never played souls before but its very possible to do catacombs first if you want.

:laffo: The recommended way to do that is to ignore and run from all the skeletons like a punk (far more cowardly than DOOMGUY) making a beeline for the next bonfire, so it's "very possible" if you like, ran around and died in the level a lot until you have it memorized and can do that and, wait,

Wait I thought the right way was to be killed a few times while doing that and then decide to go somewhere else and that it was blindingly obvious that doing the Catacombs first was wrong because it's too hard.

:iiam:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sebmojo posted:

You seem mad, about videogames

WWDGD

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, I ran into Ornstein and Smough and it turns out that they were exactly who I was supposed to fight at that point and it was hard as loving poo poo, but I guess I should magically know when a game is hard because I didn't approach it correctly and when a game is hard because I just need to get better.

That reminds me, because of the little differences in how you build your character and weapons and how everyone's different, everyone that plays these games has a particular "not very hard" boss or part in the game they get completely steamrolled and brick wall level destroyed by forever. And everyone has a "hardest boss in the game" reputation boss or point that they just sort of glide through. That was Ornstein and Smough for me, it was my favorite fight in the game and everything just clicked and I beat them on my first try but a lot of folks will say they're the true final boss of the game and have a lot of trouble with them.

And it's one thing to share tangible information like "try doing x when the boss does y" but I'm not gonna like roll up to people all like actually that boss is quite simple you just must be bad at actual video games from playing too many new video games!"

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 31, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Here's the thing, he's not going to be able to. I'm not kidding when I say just mentally replace his posts with someone saying "git gud," because that's what his argument is. Dark Souls can never fail the player, if the player has trouble with any aspect of the game it's because of a personal deficiency and they need to suck it up.

To players like him, you're not (and never will be) a reasonable, intelligent player who went in with the endlessly-reinforced expectation of "Dark Souls is really hard" and came to the conclusion "therefore I should try harder to beat these unkillable skeletons because there's obviously something I'm missing." To players like him, you're a casul who keeps slamming his dick in the door because they want everything handed to them, and just need to git gud (in this case, read as: somehow magically ascertain that you're not actually meant to go this way yet, and try a different path).

It's just still hilarious to me because you see people talk like that all the time, I remember there was even a lengthy article on RPS about how sacred and untouchable Dark Souls' difficulty is and how any possible re-balancing or adjusting of it or varying difficulty levels or anything would be sacrilege to FromSoftware's holy vision and destroy art and player feedback is but useless prattle in the face of Dark Souls.

Which was idiotic on a million levels because they literally include starting character classes designed to make the early game easier or harder and have problems dropping patches early on with each one that make major changes in the game. Dark Souls in specifically, they made significantly easier a couple of months after it came out intentionally based on player feedback. Like most people with that attitude literally never even played that earlier version of the game where it was pretty nuts.

I've a huge nut for FromSoftware, I've been a fan of them since King's Field in 1994 and I get all their games ASAP and love them, but the difficulty's like the least important part of why the games are good to me compared to how that difficulty is paced out and how tense the games can get because of their atmosphere and because of the glass cannon kind of combat where everything can drop everything in just a couple of hits.

I feel like I need to make a DOOM SOULS mod for DOOM to make up for all this Souls chat I've been doing in this thread.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

4 Kings for me :cool: First try, baby

I sucked so bad at that one it was the 7 kings. :laffo:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Like, build Lordran in DOOM? :flashfap: yes please

YOU WONDER WHERE DEMONS
GO WHEN THEY GIT GUD

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Morter posted:

I think the important question that this is culminating to is: will there be (or is there, already) a souls mod for doom.

There's what folks mentioned but there's also quite a bit of the opposite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xay8HWwabgw

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s a shame og doom isn’t on the PS4. Is it macOS friendly on steam? I’ve been itching to revisit it.

It's literally a crime that you can get Duke Nukem 3D on the PS4 but have to pay Gearbox to do so (something I will never do) but can't even pay Activision or Bethesda or anyone anymore to get any DOOM game on PS4. And coming from Bethesda that's surprising, like you'd think they'd have churned out a PS4 port of the DOOM 3 BFG version by now. There's been two a couple of DOOM 3 ports but they're all bizarre in some way due to previous console's limitations, but they're lame bizarre instead of awesome bizarre like DOOM 64 or the PSX/Saturn DOOMs getting a new soundtrack and stuff. Like XBOX DOOM 3 has like 1/3 of the game cut out (basically a lot of the larger rooms) and all of the lighting is baked in instead of in real time. But it does have a miraculously stable framerate for the time and It does have the (I forget if it still is) exclusive coop campaign - but even that is weird and just sort of fades out/softlocks your XBOX when you finish it :wtc: Not long after there was an XBOX port of Resurrection of Evil and that kept all the levels intact but the framerate was all over the place and the lighting still wasn't there. Then the BFG edition came out later and the levels are intact but somehow the lighting is still baked in :wtc: IIRC even on the PC port you had to edit some stuff to turn the real time lighting on.

But I'd want that to come out on PS4 less for DOOM 3 and more for the extra DOOM campaign it came with. IIRC it had the one that came with DOOM II on the 360 also and that one was legit great.

I think BFG edition would have sold better if it was marketed as an anthology of DOOM games instead of DOOM 3 because DOOM 3 lol

But it's genuinely impressive that DOOM and DOOM II can run on anything...........except PS4 :laffo:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Magitek posted:

ikr. Here guys, we have some BFG division right here to distract us!

They are aged, plowing without mercy. But you... you will be worse. Reap and sow, until is it SPRING.

Plowed without mercy is exactly how I felt after picking up my pre-order of DOOM 3.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Worth noting that in 4 that you could "parry" a charging Lost Soul by blasting them with the Super Shotgun at close range, which would send them flying backwards and exploding. That would be a good way of fighting a PE who has all his Souls spawned in.

I liked how you could do this in Doom 3 in some situations but it was very limited and only worked with the plasma rifle. IIRC the spider-woman boss was built around hitting her projectiles back at her.

Regarding more mobile light enemies, I wasn't crazy about Doom 3 but it would be cool if they brought back those, uh, hunchback teleporting gargoyle dudes with the long scythe arm? Those were really cool and they barely used them in the game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's fine for the 2016 one to be called DOOM because the original basically became THE ULTIMATE DOOM years ago. I honestly wish this upcoming one was called THE ETERNAL DOOM because that would be a loving awesome title.

:laffo: They should just have just canonized and continued the series with the fan stylizations from years ago:

Doom Shareware
DOOM
THE ULTIMATE DOOM
DOOM ][ HELL ON EARTH
DOOM ]|[
DOOM |\/
DOOM 3T3R|\|A|_

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

That's a strange way to spell Doom 64

:same:

Despite it not being scripted it's kind of amazing how much that game's soundtrack accomplished what the game they chose to call Doom 3 was going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Safeword posted:

I still freak out a little when I remember the ambient music that was, uh, baby goats and actual babies moaning. Doom was first introduced to me via the PlayStation, so I have that freaky soundtrack and moody lighting burned into my brain.

DOOM sound design has always been incredible for real. I mean Doom 3 faltered a bit but they had a good idea.

Man I remember I made the mistake of getting DOOM on the Saturn instead of the PSX, it runs SOOOOOO much worse and just because it was rushed out - if you get the Japanese Saturn version it runs pretty well.

The 3DO port is an abomination but the remixed soundtrack is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m35pIk5wfNk

But man DOOM 64's soundtrack really is something special for the time.

Zaphod42 posted:

This thing?

It took 24 years but technology has finally caught up with the simulated screenshots on the back of the H!Zone box.