Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Black Baby Goku posted:

I've been calling this game Retard 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Black Baby Goku posted:

Black Ops 3 is a way better shooter

Seems likely. I love me some Blops3.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zigmidge posted:

This thread isn't bad enough so let's try to get it there: Explain the differences betweeen UT and Doom and Quake without referencing fluff.

UT has nothing to do with the other two, because it is an arena shooter. Quake had true-3D levels, and was one of the few games to use it well in abstract level design, since most games started transitioning to "realistic" levels after it (and particularly after Half-Life). It generally suffers from having monster encounters that rarely get busier than a few major enemies on the screen at the same time, though, while Doom really loves being played with a big horde of monsters versus one player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lcqsfIECxQ

Also, Doom has a far bigger mapping community for whatever reason.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best shooters of all time are Doom, Doom II, Blops2, and Blops3.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Black Ops 2 had a part where you shoot up a nightclub in slow motion while Skrillex plays. That's level design.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Too many hitscanners.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Their target audience is me, because it was loving awesome.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQMBsxp33qk&t=85s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPlK10Rcdk

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm sorry that you don't appreciate the gripping and incisive narrative of Call of Duty: Black Ops II. Here is a part where you ride horses at a supervillain Death Tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOcqf6rNyK8

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

AirRaid posted:

It was always really obvious that Treyarch focused more on the Multiplayer in their COD games over the campaigns. the MP in the Blops series is some of the best in the franchise, but the campaigns are a hilarious mess. Especially the last two.

The Blops and Blops2 campaigns are the best. I love the part where you play as the bad guy, a south american drug lord, and go on a first-person Coke Rampage. Almost every level has one bit in it that's just completely out there bizarre.

Anyway, this isn't really on-topic so I'll stop. I just love Treyarch's crazy-rear end campaigns.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Keiya posted:

Heretic was a better Doom sequel than Doom 2 just by virtue of trying to do something a little different.

things like "what if doom had guns that were bad instead of good"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
dont play any of those, IMO

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

elf help book posted:

Retard 4 has AIDS

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought the enemy variety was by a significant margin the weakest part of the game. The Imp attacks had thought put into it, everything else was just kinda like Doom 1 where you were pretty much fine if you kept moving. Doom II had the Mancs doing spread-fire, Arachs cutting a stream of plasma across the field, Revs that were actual threats (holy poo poo the NewDoom Revs do absolutely nothing threatening), etc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
loving around levels and looking for secrets is part of the classic Doom experience

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It wasn't bad. My main problem was that the level design sucked rear end, especially compared to the amount of variety you got in TNO.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Linguica posted:

Considering you spend basically 100% of your time in the game navigating levels, this seems like a pretty glaring flaw.

It was more that the levels lacked variety rather than them being bad. Way too much of the game wasted the "Nazis ruling America" stuff on city ruins and generic Nazi bases, and nothing was as cool as the transition from the 40s to the 70s in TNO or the bridge level, or even the mostly combat-free death camp level.

The levels were just boring in comparison. The action in those levels was good though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
how long did Doom take to develop after the bad-looking post-apocalyptic doom got cancelled

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

after TNC and shadow of war i'm more steadfast than ever in my position to never ever preorder, even sequels to games i loved. Perfect formulas are easy to gently caress up if you change them just for change's sake

Shadow of War is a classic case of where adding more poo poo to an already good game system frequently is a bad thing

(for an example of it being a good thing, see XCOM 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
XCOM was bad. It was a good example of a game system that wasn't bad at it's core but needed a kick in the rear end because it encouraged boring play way too much.