Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's easy if you don't get hit by the dogs.

I liked Spirits once I got used to them, was happy to see Chaingunner back and he has a "use explosions to kill me but not a mandatory gun mod" gimmick with some flexibility, Screechers are OK for what they're intended to do(aim good or else.) DLC1 was nice for a ball buster but drat man DLC2 was pretty shaky by the end. Why add enemies that actively make the gameplay worse? And ayyy laffo at that last boss. And as much as I love Gladiator and Icon of Sin, we get that Dark Lord, shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

lmao at people playing battle mode enough to care about skins

lmao at caring what skin your doom guy is in campaign past Classic Marine or "I Beat Nightmare"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Skin randomizer, click the ones you want to be in the pool and they can randomly be on a demon in single player mode when they warp in.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

ROFLburger posted:

for those of you that beat it, how many attempts did it take you? i feel like i could get it done eventually

My pal has done it and talked about it a bit. Run around on Nightmare mapping out kill orders on any arena that gives you trouble and fight each boss repeatedly until you can do it really smoothly if any of them give you trouble. It takes as many as it takes, if you watch UN speed runs even the world records have moments where you're stopped for 1-2 seconds by a Carcass and drop to 10 health and oh boyyyyy, time to be good at the game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doom 2016 has a few clunkers like the security console and office Halflife 2 style forced exposition dumps but overall it's a much better story. There's a tenuous connection to older Dooms(why am I in a coffin, I guess Doom Guy got stuck in Hell after Doom 64 etc) and rapid and satisfying characterization. Hayden is the genius who went too far, Olivia is the genius who gave into desperation and bargained with Hell, Doom Guy shows his contempt with a monitor smash. Hayden tells us "It was for the benefit of humanity" and Doom Guy looks down for two seconds at some poor dead guy. Hayden wants us to preserve his work because of course this is just an expected occupational hazard to dealing with Hell, Doom Guy gives us narrative satisfaction by breaking the filters because gently caress Hell. Then Doom Guy humanizes himself(and shows his intelligence beyond Anger Elemental) with a simple gesture by backing up Vega. Doom 2016 also maintains the old school Doom fan idea that you're not superhuman, you're just a very capable badass using the best of raw human perseverance and guns to barely survive. The overdone THE DOOM SLAYER logs fit because they're timeless ancient demons cataloguing the only time they've encountered a force that they can't fathom that keeps kicking their asses nonstop. Even the pure exposition readable logs had a fine touch like humanizing Hayden by having him figure "If I'm giving myself a robot body it might as well be really big and cool." And I think every 2016 fan was salivating at the thought of kicking Hayden's rear end after that cliffhanger ending.

:shrug: In Doom Eternal you're almost literally fellated by audio logs calling you a god, Hayden knew everything and was so right all along and you only survived because of him and did you want closure with him hahaha nope not even at the end of TAG 1 teleports offscreen, the Dark Lord is the biggest wet fart in the entire series and in fact you only rose to the challenge of all prior Doom games at all because he forged you in the first place, and all the rest of the Blizzard-tier goofball poo poo. At least they occasionally get things right with "You can't shoot a hole in Mars", "Kill The All-Father", "No" and Doom Guy using that dude's card key to start the Mars mission and treating him as gently as a kitten.

You can look at both games and say they're roughly the same, who cares about Doom story, but Doom 2016 leaves me feeling a lot better than Doom Eternal and "there's only one way into Hell through this portal, and now we'll have a bunch of NPCs teleport in behind you because I guess they all had the easy Uber portals to Hell and we need the Endgame scene." Doom Guy walking up to the heart of Hell and seeing the biggest army yet that he totally can't face alone should fire up in the player absolute defiance to kill that army with their own two hands and guns and Eternal misses the tone of 2016 again while teasing it. One game left you wanting more because these devs get it, one game and two expansions later you're exhausted and kind of anxious about Doom 6 being genuinely bad even after Doom Eternal at heart is 10/10 gameplay. That's what the writing matters to a Doom game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

I think anyone who believes Hayden was going to be the big bad wasn't paying attention to the story in 2016.

2016 ends with Hayden directly betraying the player and a cliffhanger painting him as a primary antagonist. The entire story also paints him as two steps away from becoming Olivia. :shrug:

Sure with Post-Eternal story direction we can see what Hayden was really all about(and a lot got retconned) but at the time you were reluctantly working(enthusiastically killing demons tho) with a guy arrogant enough to harness hell energy(would 2016 Hayden not be smart enough to deduce they're souls?) and brush off 60,000 deaths as "the price of progress" while trying to guide you to clean up his mess, preserve his equipment so he can do it again and maybe even cover up his mistakes(i.e. deleting Vega.) Hayden wouldn't necessarily be the Big Bad but I felt very strongly we were owed kicking his rear end as the #2 to A Really Big Demon.

"I am not the villain here, I am doing what I must" was another flavor of Olivia's self-serving justifications, not a literal "I'm a timeless angel following an ancient prophecy I can't tell you about."

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 22, 2021

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

2016 Hayden is a well-meaning pragmatist, not "literal Satan in disguise". That's his whole thing. He wants to be the 3 meter tall John Halo who saves the whole human race but he's smart enough to know that actually doing it isn't going to be a clean process and also knows that Doomguy would never let him. But he also isn't dumb enough to not keep him around in case things get out of hand. The fact that he wasn't a cackling cartoon villain is what made him such a breath of fresh air.

Turning him into an immortal angel was one of many really dumb retcons in Eternal.

I agree. I wouldn't want Hayden to be literally Satan but a human who damns himself because "this is what MUST be done" is cool stuff. Hayden 2016 clearly had enormous pride, a classic sin and motivation, but he was also a once in a generation super genius. There was an unspoken flaw to Doom Guy smashing the argent energy devices: Hayden was actually right that he'd solved Earth's energy crisis and the Argent was still needed. It'd be some tragic poo poo if Doom Guy stops the invasion of Hell just to look back to Earth tearing itself in half in an eruption of warfare. A cool backdrop to a Doom 2016 Part Two where Hayden is the initial antagonist, Hell comes back in and maybe props him or other human factions up with demons and awful cyborg monsters to fight.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I like 2016 storytelling so much. :allears:

multijoe posted:

But the problem with hell energy is that is comes from hell, which as you see in 2016 has some consequences

Of course. An energy crisis on Earth reaching peak resource war seemed inevitable without it is my point.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

dantheman650 posted:

I played through the first few levels and feel like I’m bouncing off compared to Doom 2016. It feels too intense - I barely have any idea what I’m doing half the time because there’s so much going on and so many abilities on cool downs. Does it all ever start to make sense?

Also the UI font size is so incredibly difficult to read.

Dash compulsively, suit upgrade to double dash as soon as you can. Set to ice grenade, grenade if you want some respite. Flame belch things before you glory kill them, free armor. Blood Punch to season. Don't feel obligated to use the tutorial weaknesses every time(i.e. I find Blood Punching Cyber Mancubi to be way too risky for minimal gain, usually get shockwaved for my trouble.) You can play a lot better than this but this keeps everything as easy as possible to start.

Once you get the Dash the mantra is to never stop moving. Grenades are honestly optional at first, I swap to the frost grenade and hit CTRL when I want breathing room. When you want to kill faster and play better you start working in more button presses to swap grenades every so often and belt the normal ones out on top of the weapon quickswaps and stuff, it's free damage. It's a lot easier to switch to the shotgun and grenade mod a caco then to juggle grenades but I default to grenade mod on the shotgun so no mod swapping.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If nothing else learning the quick-swap for ballista/super shotty will cut Marauder kill time in half. Green light, balli for regular stun, quick swap 'em.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Relin posted:

im not sure i can play this dlc for doom eternal. these new turret enemies take the thing that everyone hated in the base game (the guy you cant damage when his shields up) and make it more annoying with these turrets which are even worse because they go invincible, whereas the marauder was vulnerable to aoe damage. really killing my motivation to continue. playing peekaboo is not fun energetic gameplay

turrets are the most reasonable of the trend of invulnerablity enemies the DLC add, sniper scope shot once, do anything for 3 seconds, sniper scope shot again, turret ded. It works well since you can control when you're ready to hit the turret and just evade the shots/walk away from it otherwise

Then the invulnerability angels and the stone imps and last boss oi

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The dlcs are 3 good stages each. They introduced a lot of hit and miss enemy design right down to the last boss, your mileage may vary. They're also hard as balls.

Lots of "use this mod to kill this" and "slow combat down" enemies. It also shows that they were a bit rushed(was it a mandatory year window for the devs?) and stuff like the demon troopers in dlc 2 look really ugly.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'm a fan of both, Eternal beat me up for awhile when I started. If you liked 2016 then you at least owe Eternal a try. Don't hesitate to start at lower difficulty, the higher ones don't hold your hand and the first three levels are even a bit harder since your arsenal isn't fully formed when you start.

Deakul posted:

It's really hard to say.

I loved 2016 and I, honestly, kind of hated Eternal.
It forgoes the simplicity of 2016 and turns the game into Devil May Cry but with guns that punishes you for doing anything but what the game wants you to do.

You'll be hurting for ammo and health constantly cause you have to keep all of these resources in the back of your mind now, run out of ammo? Chainsaw but only if you have the pips. Low on health? Glory kill. Low on armor? Flamebelch then kill. It's impossible for me to keep track of all of these things when in the heat of battle and battles get very loving heated.

It really made me feel like an old fart and I wish they'd go back to 2016's simplicity but with Eternals demon roster.

I think Eternal beats 2016 if you use a simplified gameplay loop.

Always use ice grenades, use to stall big threats or pass by them/groups. Hit Flame Belch before you hit Glory Kill so that you shower yourself in armor with the health. Glory Kill to finalize removing something from the field. Chainsaw a pip one threat every so often. Get the two dash upgrade and dash habitually if you don't have a need to dash at the moment. If anything fails then dash and correct i.e. you misjudge grenade cooldown.

Obviously this isn't optimal, quick swap weapon attacks, firepower kills and grenade weaving are a big deal. The Chainsaw can be banked to three pips for tactical heavy destruction. You can sweep multiple enemies with flame belch or a slow heavy to keep yourself topped up as you dance, etc. But Eternal difficulty levels are pretty good at training you for the next one ala DMC and once you have a good minimum standard that trains you to not forget your cooldowns you can improve from there.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Eternal barely requires any headclicking skill. My aim has always been trash and I'm managing fine on Nightmare because there's nothing that required any aiming skill. Enemies move in mostly slow predictable patterns and have giant hitboxes for weakpoints, aided even more by the fact that the Ballista's beam takes up half the screen.

It's strangely undocumented in game for an AAA FPS but Headshots will at least double your kill speed. Required, no, but you can certainly improve your accuracy and get a good benefit for doing so.

Enemy Values Spreadsheet

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

UN in 2016 is really fascinating for the absolute limit of what the drat imp fireball can do, especially their prediction. You need supreme map awareness or that one jerk at a distance you didn't see will getcha. As for UV stay mobile, recognize when you can juke or approach an imp without letting it turret at you, be aware of advantageous walls for cover if you have a different target nearby you wanna kill, that kinda thing.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 3, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

They're just designed differently, and every time someone tells me that they're not really that different, I tell them to play Eternal and shoot enemies with only standard ammunition and maybe the occasional alt-fire and see how far it gets them.

I say this not to be a contrarian but to sheepishly admit to how god drat thick headed I am. I played Eternal this way on Hurt Me Plenty, just like it was 2016. I compulsively dashed every two seconds once I got the second dash charge and regularly chainsawed zombies for ammo but just meandered around like a Doom 1/2 newbie trying to pick enemies off with my favorite guns fired steadily at distance.

I actually didn't like the super shotgun and meathook because the cyber mancubi trained me to avoid melee since they have a blood punch prompt but their AI usually makes them slam the ground before you can land it and get out. I started playing as Eternal "wants you to" on a second playthrough on UV and for the obligatory difficulty spikes of the DLC. I like the super shotty and meathook now.

Just my two cents on playing Eternal like a lunkhead(me.)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I actually don't get the difference between "infinite ammo" and "infinite ammo if you hit C every 30 seconds" if we're debating how viable it is to blunder through the game like a caveman using nothing but the super shotty. :v:

Though you can't afford to spend extra time messing around on high difficulty challenge spikes like bosses or the tougher arena set-ups admittedly.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

It's not that hard because you do it once and then gib everything that spawns with the ballista alt-fire. I love 2016 but the enemy roster is quite the Doom 1 vs Doom 2 once you've played Eternal.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'm in the middle ground, I play Eternal on UV exactly like 2016 except I hit the dash key every three seconds and C when my two favorite guns are empty.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Mindblast posted:

:thunk: doesn't that mean you like it.

Oh yeah I love it but like "Doom Eternal is a brand new gameplay loop" OR "Doom Eternal is too much to juggle" and I'm over here like "plasma rifle go bzzzt + press C occasionally" and I only learned to quick-swap and fire with weapons and grenades when I did a replay to get into the DLC. Just cave-manning it up in the middle.

Going back to 2016 is a little rough with the reduced monster roster but that's just history repeating itself ala Doom 1 vs Doom 2.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

How to issue a 3 year old chargeback to Bethesda and refund Doom Eternal? What a horrible situation. And yeah this really explains the few bits of Eternal that aren't so good.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

repiv posted:

I assume you're half-joking but don't chargeback digital stores if you care about your account, it will probably get banned and you'll lose everything on there

Thanks for the advice but fortunately yes I am joking. Unfortunately this is the kind of scummy thing that makes me want to drop business entirely.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah agreed with the above, it seems like Mick has kept it close to his chest because he doesn't have the power in this situation and Marty did what he did because he did. This isn't final, definitive proof but if you ask me whether or not I think a corporation has somebody in a position of power with an abusive ego...

The same reason in DLC2 that you have to journey to a single point on Earth to take a portal to Final Hell City but then your generic allies magically teleport in behind you, ruining a classic Doom Guy moment, so that we could get yet another Avengers Endgame reference. :v:

no really the loving point, the god drat meaning of the knowing laugh the player feeds themselves when all your enemies line up and are like WHAT'RE YOU GONNA DO, FIGHT AN ARMY BY YOURSELF, is that we chuckle and think "Yeah sounds like a good final level" and then actually do it...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doom 2016 was 12 years after Doom 3, which itself earned a very divisive status in the fanbase and is still considered the odd one out or even "the bad one" depending on the fan discussing possibly the most legendary single series in gaming short of Mario. Doom Eternal was after the absolutely perfect retaking of the throne 2016 achieved so yeah, I can see a lot more humility and grounded management at stake in 2016 vs Eternal. They didn't know 2016 would make them kings until it released.

Going into Eternal they can pick up any number of dangerous "success is guaranteed" attitudes. Eternal is great, of course, but there are so many stories of corporations birthing unholy egos. 4 years for management to get really god drat dumb and complacent and seeing what we've seen of Eternal where even a casual playthrough will tell you that at the very minimum the writing and level layout had a gigantic shuffle mid production, I see where it's possible.

The real mystery of course is why? It was mostly before covid so that's not at play and it seems a bit too much to just say "Marty Bad." He seems to be more a symptom, so what is going wrong with Bethesda? When poo poo gets rotten the lawyers back up Marty and defend his right to keep up his reddit ego tribute. It may be a stretch but Bethesda are the same publishers who raked Obsidian over the coals for pennies over New Vegas, the greatest pillar of the Fallout IP. Video game corps being jackasses is sadly not that unusual.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 10, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Don't worry, they have perfect evidence that disproves everything Mick said. They said so themselves! Where is it? Uhhh... it can only be viewed in an appropriate venue!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

If people are so confident that Mick is obligated to that money and has a convincing case then he should be suing the gently caress out of iD for breach of contract

I'm sure Mick is doing well but "just take on 5-6 digits in legal debt no big deal" is always a really rough thing when you're not the giant corporation that can win by making life miserable for the people they're being sued by by dragging things out, like they've demonstrated they're willing to do.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

I dunno, Gordon did take 2 and a bit years to put out a thesis rebutting the Reddit post :v

If you ever have to enter into legal negotiations with anybody let me know how trashing them publicly before the negotiations conclude goes. Did you even read Mick's post? Edit: I may be dumb as hell.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 17, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ah my bad, I'm a clod who did not see that :v. Sorry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doom Guy got super mad, broke his cage and found a sky castle. Hell probably put demons between him and it.

Eternal did what it did, thankfully they hit the right spots more often than they didn't. Even some of the dumb bits work brilliantly memetically. The longer the Icon of Sin is on earth, the stronger it becomes!