Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

at the very least it looks like they're trying to make a campy, 'fun' shooter and not another serious sci-fi thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

but the cacodemons aren't brown now???

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, if there's any criticisms to be made at this point the color scheme isn't one of them. at worst it's 'sci-fi with a lot of glowy poo poo' but i enjoy that, so hey. that they're willing to change stuff like the color palette after demoing a bunch of stuff already is pretty cool.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people probably expected less of them because bulletstorm was its own thing and despite what some people might try to tell everyone else no one has given two shits about the wolfenstein ip for decades

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Doom...... Is good

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

doomguy looking like samus is good, imo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would prefer it if doomguy was a twink or a lady, imo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

actually, doom 3 was made entirely out of voxels

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the project brutality mod for doom actually includes a sprite version of the doom 3 plasma gun and if there's any gun i definitely want preserved from doom 3 it's that one. it's also a super useful one to have around, especially when using the secondary fire to spray out a burst of shots.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah just ignore any amount of common sense when it comes to architecture and perfectly recreate the maps from a decades old game that were mostly that way due to engine limitations

perfect

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tiggum posted:

If they used common sense and realistic architecture, multi-floor maps wouldn't be a problem. I'm guessing you've probably even used them yourself to find something in a multi-storey shopping centre? Having multiple floors doesn't make it impossible to make a useful map, the problem is video game architecture that makes no sense.

i was responding to this

Keiya posted:

Maybe - bear with me here - this means you should avoid putting rooms over other rooms? Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Keiya posted:

How many buildings have you been in where you have to go up two floors around a curve, a detour to open a locked door, then down the elevator three floors then up some stairs to get to the other side of a wall? I'm willing to bet the answer is nearly zero, humans think in 2d most of the time.

Some highly secure buildings MIGHT be laid out like that, but even that's pretty unlikely.

all i was saying was 'putting rooms over other rooms is an okay thing to do and avoiding doing it is really dumb'

thanks

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

project brutality is better than brutal doom

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mung Dynasty posted:

Counterpoint: the guns in Shadow Warrior all feel pissweak and the game locks you in bland arena rooms until you kill all the enemies.

the guns were alright and the actual gameplay was fun, so arenas were never much of an issue

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ahundredbux posted:

it's probably plastic shavings you baby

yeah, there's more than likely a million things that can be used to get that look

they don't even look all that real

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

project brutality is better

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can understand wanting to play doom as close to the original as possible but not having mouselook really sucks, so i'm never going to give that up. testing with a mouse was done during the development of doom.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

please don't disrespect the ethereal crossbow

thanks

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i keep bringing it up, but play project brutality instead. it actually feels like something the devs would do if they'd come back to the game years later with a lot of ideas instead of just being some boring, edgy thing that's focused on ripping off limbs.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

regardless of any actual gameplay don't ever take cinematic trailers as being even remotely representative of the game it's advertising, lest the whole 'dead island' thing is repeated

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

doom 3 multiplayer was nonexistent but the actual game itself was fun, please don't disparage it by comparing it to this current iteration of the series that may or may not be good for all anyone knows

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that probably would have been better than the heap that reboot game was, at least

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i tried to play the demo but all it did was give me an error message

goty

also i'm not sure what the multiplayer would provide that i don't already get better elsewhere. if i want fast gameplay, i'll play tribes: ascend. if i want to goof off i can just play tf2.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

D04M

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

loam

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

widespread posted:

I think Sarge was corrupted or some poo poo so that he was all "gently caress YEAH MAKE ME A TANK WITH THE BFG". At least it'd sound plausible.

that was basically it, yeah

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

most importantly, you can turn off the glory kill highlight on enemies

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Prenton posted:

Wait, are those System Shock 2 style psychic exposition ghosts?

there's no cutscenes so they just do stuff ingame if you want to watch it or not

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also the weapon wheel is in the game and takes basically no time to use???

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

GreatGreen posted:

The weapon wheel is cool because it means the devs are actively trying to make it easier for everybody (console players included) to use as many weapons as possible all the time.

But I cannot overstate enough how much I hate the "enemy glows when ready for takedown" mechanic. The glow totally takes me out of the atmosphere and, sorry for the phrase, destroys any immersion by being such a bad contrast against what's going on in the world. It would be a lot more rewarding if the system was the same but without the obnoxious blue orange glow, because it would turn into you simply looking for animation sequences and building your own skill that helps you play the game rather than slamming a loving neon "START EXTREEM KILL CUTSCENE NOW BRO" sign into the world.

you can turn off the glow. it was one of the first things they showed

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you can do ingame challenges to get demon runes that power up various aspects. they don't look even remotely necessary, just cool bonuses if you earn them. and the base weapons look more then useful, they just give you options for mods to customize how you use it as well. given that that was one of the more fun things about project brutality, that's a great addition to the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they're talking about how the upgrades are meant to be significant changes and not just rpg-style +5% damage poo poo, mostly meant as ways to change how you play if you prefer it that way

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the singleplayer looks fast-paced enough to be fun, so that's really all i care about at this point. that and being able to ignore the scripted kills + turn off the indication

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mr.Citrus posted:

Yeah except for the fact the devs have publicly said the first version of the game was call of doom

i actually remember the trailer for that. it looked kinda bad

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people get annoyed when brutal doom is brought up because for the longest time when it was still relatively new there'd be a million people popping up and going HEY WOW THIS IS EVEN DOOMIER THAN DOOM and then 3 posts later they'd be complaining about how the balance is way off for map packs or some poo poo even though brutal doom is poorly balanced and the cause of it. that and the creator is a weirdo who wanted to put sprite version of actual dead people gibs in the game for some odd reason among other things, which opinions of can vary from person to person but don't exactly help

i'd rather just play project brutality, which is an offshoot of it and made by someone different who actually has an idea of what balance is and doesn't focus on gore

also, unrelated, but i kind of want to play doom 3 again. it's a fun game for what it is

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

project brutality added a sprite version of the doom 3 plasma gun and tbh of all the guns in doom 3 to add they definitely picked the right one

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like the design of the knights and barons because the knights actually have sort of a hosed-up armor look about them while the barons are very much more important looking

it's not like the designs from the original games were really all that inspired

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mordja posted:

Play both!

project brutality is better in every way

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Boz0r posted:

I didn't even know this game was coming out now, until I checked for new games on Steam a couple of days ago.

Also, was I the only person who really liked Doom 3? It was more Dead Space than classic Doom, but I like those games.

doom 3 was a solid game. it was different, yeah, but it was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

is 'robocop' the new buzzword or something, i don't get it