Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Awesome Welles posted:

I just want some loving vanilla DM, TDM and CTF (with some relatively plain classes old-school Team Fortress style), why is this so hard, game developers :smith:

Because to an executive, that screams abject failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

strategery posted:

You know, as someone who grew up with the original DOOM, quake, and Unreal games, I was cautiously optimistic for this game before. I expected it to be okay, but not amazing. That being said, with the recent trailers have me a lot more hyped than i would have expected to be. SNAPMAP is also a really cool thing that can, if the game is good, really extend it's life. Kinda bummed there wont be real MOD support, but snapmap is a very welcome feature and will allow less skilled people to still make meaningful content far after launch,.

I think they've come out and said that they would not have a problem releasing an SDK, but given the way Id's engines work you would need a 5 figure supercomputer to even run it. Snap Map is an alternative that allows people that don't work at a company with a render farm to create content.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

broken clock opsec posted:

And ends 4 days later or some poo poo. And is pointless because I've been in the alpha group since the first weekend.

How are the keys being sent out?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Kazvall posted:

Absolute scrubs in here talking down on Heretic without evening mentioning doom2's city levels.

It wasn't until the Giant Bomb did their Doom 2 thing that I realized Doom II is supposed to take place on earth, and those levels are supposed to represent cities and towns.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

The game is literally titled "Doom II: Hell on Earth", and the plot screens tell you that you're on earth and stuff. :psyduck:

Like where did you think you were? The "Suburbs" of Hell, where Jim McDemon and his wife and 2.5 demon kids live in a lovely subdivision run by an HOA that makes Satan Himself seem like an okay guy?

Yeah, it was definitely one of those "How have I lived this long without realizing this" moments, but I guess I just never paid any attention to the plot when I was playing Doom II back in the day.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

Don't worry, you're doing the right thing. Paying any mind to plot in video games is where bad goon opinions start to happen.

Nah, I pay attention to the plots in games, I just think my shareware copy may have had those sequences cut out. Videogame plots are awesome and ridiculous, the problem is when you start analyze them like you're writing your senior thesis on "War and Peace". People should just chill out and enjoy the zaniness that is video game plot justification.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I'll admit from what I played of TNO I didn't come off very impressed about it (admittedly it was the 360 version that I played, cause I only got a PS4 a couple months ago)

You should give it another shot, it's a really fun game. It's certainly not a love letter to old-iD games but it stands on its own. Also, the "stealth" sections everyone complains about are entirely optional and not a situation where you have to reset to a checkpoint the moment you're seen.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Tried out Toxic Holocaust, not terrible but I don't care for the vocals at all and they've got a sorta weird style going on.

You could always just listen to Slayer, Metallica, et al which doom was originally based on :cheeky:

I tend to lean towards power metal so I'm probably going to be rocking Sabaton and Grand Magus and maybe even Dragonforce when playing Doom (don't hate)

VVVVVVVVV Yeah Testament, Machinehead and Spultura I know. Pretty good stuff, but sometimes a little too much.
Meshuggah is pretty solid too if that's the kinda thing you want. I just can't do that kinda vocal style for too long.

Listen to Speedwolf, if nothing else their merch is KICKIN' RAD!!

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Plan Z posted:

Old Blood's good times. The forced stealth section at the beginning is a bit crap, though.

What forced stealth section, there are no forced stealth sections you can just stealth around if you feel like it. If you wanna go in guns blazing there's nothing stopping you.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Backhand posted:

I am vaguely tempted by the gameplay, but the writing comes off like it was made by a thirteen year old and really rubs me the wrong way.

I mean, they were clearly going for cheesy, but I feel like they succeeded a bit too well. I think I'd be cringing every single time my character opened his mouth.

You should play through the very original Shadow Warrior. Given what they had to go off of, I think they do a pretty good job.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Marketing destroys everything.
I bet we only have a bunch of dumb MP DLC because they thought that MP would carry the game and were wrong so now we're stuck with no new SP content other than Arcade Mode, which is great but still.

I think this is the reason. The fact that all of the season pass DLC would be multiplayer only was known prior to the game release, and I think when the game released and everyone loved the single player but not the multiplayer, they had already invested too much time/money to change things, not to mention potentially angering the people that did enjoy the multiplayer. It seems like the arcade mode/snapmap campaign stuff is there attempt to create more single player content with the limited amount of resources that aren't devoted to creating the already promised Season Pass DLC.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

yeah and people were making GBS threads themselves over canned-animation finishers which also sounds like a laughably horrid idea on paper but they somehhow made it work and extremely cool and good

all i want is for the lightning to strike twice, surely thats not asking too much

If anything, I'm more excited for this one than the original. The original was so bogged down by the multiplayer which clearly Bethesda/iD thought was going to be the big draw prior to launch. Then the game came out and everybody loved the single player and hated the multiplayer. And then every piece of post-launch support was for the multiplayer.

I'd like to think they have a much better sense for what their audience actually wants this time around and hopefully it will result in an even better game.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah, the shotgun in the first Halo game was loving awesome and then they made it worthless in Halo 2

I wonder if part of this is because gameplay balance was more important with online play involved. The pistol was also neutered, but I feel like that was to get you the player to use dual-wielding which was the big push for Halo 2. I could see Bungie being more concerned with getting the balance right in the single player and then being less diligent with multiplayer balance for the first Halo.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

He's almost too beefy, its reaching Gears of War levels.

Also I don't like the exposed bits of skin for no drat reason. If you're wearing a big suit of body armor why wouldn't it cover everything?

But its still cool.

You don't see it from the first person perspective, but your biceps quintuple in size when you get the Berzerker power up.

He's like The Hulk, except he finally smartened up and started wearing cutoff shorts from the get-go.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Who could possibly be Doomguy's stand? I feel like he's so powerful he would have to be the stand.

His stand is just his literal shadow/silhouette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Is tehre music and/or bands like the BFG division?

Because usually I think metal sucks because it's always some dork singing dorkily over the awesome music, which is bad, unlike BFG division, which is cool and good

Check out Dielectric by Fear Factory. They're not my favorite band, and it's not even my favorite song by them, but the first time I heard BFG Division I had to look up and make sure they didn't write the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoSJIJnIQ6c