Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

you get more than enough progression spoon-fed to you that if you don't hunt for secrets you'll be perfectly fine. but if you do hunt for secrets, you get some nifty bonuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i really liked the combat challenges. frequently they were at least somewhat interesting and encouraged me to try out stuff i probably wouldn't ahve bothered with otherwise. when they weren't interesting, i never felt like the bonuses they provided were essential enough to go too out of my way for them.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The multiplayer has been going through some iterations right? Is it any good now?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Plenty of games have the cinematic finisher thing but the amazing part of the Glory Kill system is the whole "convert your kills into health to be able to get more kills" concept and I'm not sure that would work in most multiplayer games.

EDIT: Unless BF1 actually has that, cause I haven't actually played it.

Reaper from overwatch used to convert kills into health

It was a pretty meh mechanic and got replaced by lifesteal

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I never played OG doom and really don't care about how that other game was designed. New doom was a ton of fun when I was shooting things, and when I was backtracking it wasn't very fun, so I hope in new new doom they have a lot more shooting things and way less anything else

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't really enjoy the exploration in DOOM. It feels like I forget one thing and then end up running around in circles for an hour until I randomly stumble across the one thing I missed, or more likely get bored and quit and leave it for another time (which ultimately comes like a month or two later, because "wasn't I at a part where I'm lost with nothing to do? Eugh. Maybe I'll play something else instead, actually")

I do have adhd though, so maybe the frustration of this is less extreme for other people

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I just got into an argument with a friend about how half life is a corridor shooter and he kept saying "to me, corridor shooter describes a game where there is only one long hallway the whole game, and half life isn't that linear" and this conversation has me feeling very vindicated

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

How do we know hayden's crucible is the fake one

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if that freaky metal poo poo is heaven, it'd be cool if there were set-pieces similar to the gore nests/how there's flesh all over the walls when demons are involved, but instead it's pristine, gold-accented metal poo poo taking over all the architecture around it like a virus

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Doomguy has the exact same taste in anime as I do because he is my best friend

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I never played doom 3 but it sounds neat

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I thought the suit was forged by a traitor demon to give doom guy the power to eat demons after he kills them

I presume there's something more complex going on with it than some neat engineering, it's got spooky demon powers or something

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

All of doomguy's moves are pulling out various guns and smacking people with the butt/handle before putting it away

He could actually use the plasma gun, rocket launcher, and gauss cannon though. As well as the grenade launcher on the shotgun and the micromissiles on the heavy rifle.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

His reveal video would be him grabbing the berserk power up and beating ridley to death with his fists

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think berserker power up would get introduced as an item rather than part of doomguy's arsenal

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't entirely disagree with you zaphod but drat you need to learn how to step back and take a break when people aren't convinced. No one is engaging with your argument on the level that you're presenting your argument, and no one wants to. Stop trying to make them, it looks like you're severely lacking in self awareness.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The thing with proc gen vs community tools is the latter is worthless if a community doesn't get built around them, while the former will always result in something.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm having a hard time parsing this sorry, but if
I get your meaning that's not what I said.

You don't need hand crafted level making skills to make procgen, no.

But I don't think its as simple as just, most procgen is lazy and could be better if they weren't lazy. You're right that comparing indies and AAA isn't 1:1 though.

If Doom Eternal was going to be totally roguelike and procgen I think it could do that okay, but they'd want to either do that instead of a campaign or charge more money or something.

Between roguelike doom and normal doom, I'd rather have normal doom

So at that point I think the smart move would be more like a firefight mode using pieces of the campaign maps.

But I do agree procgen doom maps that are good would be cool. I just really question how technically and economically feasible it is, what it would cost, what we would have to give up in return.

Maybe not doing multiplayer would be enough to justify doing some roguelike mode on top of campaign? But then I still think I'd just prefer more campaign levels, like I said before.

This should have been the first and only thing you posted

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is banjo-kazooie not adaptive music

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it'd be dumb if do4m had a story segment at the end of every level but not "this game is awful," it'd still be one of the best games to come out in 2016, what the gently caress

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

The Doom 4 we got lost an entire 1 point on a 10 point scale with me for just for that single exposition closet. I'm pretty extreme in my attitude, I'll admit that, but if you had a Doom 4 where that occurred dozens of times you would not end up with a good game that people uniformly praise. Think about old games that couldn't stick to the genre they are and so people have to couch any praise of the game and recommendations with that knowledge. Thats what would happen except possibly worse because its happening with non-gameplay.

"The Doom 4 we got lost an entire 1 point on a 10 point scale" would be a reasonable reaction to every single mission having an unskippable exposition closet

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

500 gems for a chainsaw recharge

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I would not want to be in a situation where I say "I wish my gun was better at killing demons"

The excitement of a new gun is "finally, a new, different way to kill demons," not "finally, I can kill demons in a relatively satisfying amount of time now!"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I used the first shotgun the entire game and never used the second shotgun

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kramjacks posted:

That's how I used the BFG in Doom 2016. If I felt like I wanted to just end a fight and move on to the next area for whatever reason I would pull out the BFG.

for this reason, i never used the BFG

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

one of my favorite DOOM2016 moments was really early in the game. you're goign around, picking keycards off of dead scientist bodies, but then one of the scitentists was actually a zombie all along and as soon as you take the keycard it comes to life and attacks you in a jump-scare like sequence. except zombies aren't actually a threat to you, so you just left click and blow its face off with your shotgun, then walk away.

that was loving funny and i hope there's more things like that and doomslayer's excellent mute body language in cutscenes. they really nailed giving the game a quick, snappy, quiet sense of humor between the ripping and tearing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the showcase went out of its way to show a lot of platforming sections in sequence. this isn't like, a few scattered shots of the player jumping that has people concerned, it's multiple sequences in a row of platforming sections where the player is dodging mid-air fire beams and getting to air dash refills to traverse gaps. these are mechanics clearly intended for platforming specific challenges, and they are shown in the context of being platform challenges rather than, like, arena elements. like, clearly whoever put the trailer together really wanted to emphasize the platforming for a bit, it's not at all unfair for a viewer to say "hey, i don't like this thing they're going out of their way to show is included in the game."

which like, i dunno, i'm not crazy up in arms about it but it doesn't exactly have me excited. dodging fire hazards and strategic air dash refills being part of a combat arena sounds fun, but as the focus of gameplay for several different areas it just makes me think they're making the argent tower section of doom2016 into a larger chunk of the new game. which i can't say i'm excited about, that was my least favorite part of the previous game.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the walls you can cling to in particular look kinda janky, and also i don't know why that mechanic would exist at all outside of platforming challenges. everything else could be over-represented or something, but i just don't see what they would've coded that into the game for besides "make the player parkour over bottomless pits"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you hate the rune challenges in Doom 4? They included parkouring over bottomless pits. But it wasn't a big deal.

What rune challenges included parkour mechanics that existed exclusively within rune challenges

If the trailer took a minute to show a bunch of rune challenge footage not indicative of the actual game, and did not indicate that this was rune challenge footage and not indicative of the actual game, in the middle of a bunch of otherwise main game footage, that's loving stupid and no viewer is at fault for assuming it's representative of the actual game. You might as well be saying that all the cool shooting we're seeing is probably just sectioned off challenge footage and an over represented sample of the actual game, which will exist purely of platforming and ominous voices talking to you as the game expands its deep lore and story.

You can't just assume that anything that people aren't excited about, like, doesn't count and isn't actually part of the game or whatever. This is what their marketing has shown us, this is what we have to talk about, fabricating possible explanations about how we should disregard the things they wanted us to see comes off as a weird reaction to people not displaying the proper amount of hype for a game you are hyped for.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Like, the one where you have to jump back and forth across narrow platforms left and right while running an obstacle course as fast as possible?

No, jump mechanics aren't unique to the rune challenges, but they do have you do things you don't really ever have to do in the main game. I don't think its worth getting so concerned or upset about this early.

My point was that there's no reason for the wall texture that you're allowed to cling to to exist, outside of platforming challenges. Your response was that that was "obviously" comparable to rune challenge parkour. So my questions for you now are:

1. Why do you think that's so clearly rune challenges, when as far as I can tell there's very little reason to believe that what they're showing us now is sectioned off, optional content and not the meat and potatoes of the game

2. Do you agree that this wall clinging mechanic exists purely as a platforming mechanic? And do you or do you not agree that they would not code in an entirely new mechanic, only to have it exist exclusively within rune challenges? I.e. do those wall clinging bits appear in the game proper or not?

If you agree with me that 1. There's not really a reason for that mechanic to exist outside of platforming, and 2. It's very unlikely that that mechanic is a rune challenge exclusive mechanic or otherwise only exists in purely optional content, it seems to me that it would naturally follow that platforming sections, such as the ones displayed in the trailer, are significant (although probably not anything approaching majority) portion of the main game, given that they have devoted resources to developing platforming-exclusive mechanics and are displaying platforming heavy sections in their marketing. Since we do not have the game in our hands and only have their marketing material to base our expectations off of, it seems reasonable to comment our opinions on the concept of platforming being a significant part of the game. It may very well not be, but the marketing clearly wanted to emphasize the concept, so it's not some insane, out of nowhere idea that goons are just making up out of nothing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I appreciate you engaging me honestly but the way everybody else is so toxic I'm not sure if we should continue. But here goes.

1. Like I said before, notice that big ? question mark? That definitely seems like some kinda bonus thing. It seems likely that some of the jumping was from the campaign, but there was jumping in 4's campaign. Some of the things that are more "puzzle" looking, like the mario fire bars, seem likely something that could be just in a rune challenge. I don't know why climb-able wall texture is so bad, there was lots of wall jumping and climbing in the tower like we keep talking about. It wasn't my favorite part of doom 4 but it wasn't very long and didn't exactly ruin the game.

2. I'm not sure what that means, this isn't black and white. Like someone just said, "I don't want any platforming except double jumping in combat", so the line between "is this platforming or not?" isn't so clear. I guess wall clinging in combat doesn't really make sense, but if its purely just you climb a wall to get to the next part of the level traversal, does that mean the game is platforming now? FPS games involve walking around, platforming involves walking around, but walking around doesn't make it platforming. Where's the line? Battlefield has climbing and mantling, but its not platforming. So that's kinda vague and hard to answer.

I'll split this into 2B so it doesn't blend together: Would they code wall climbing just for rune challenges? The coding sure, they definitely code unique things for rune challenges. That said, the code isn't the concern, nor is the texture. I don't think its too likely they'll have movement mechanics in rift challenges that go completely un-used in the base game, although they may have you use them in a much more direct and harder way. Maybe in the campaign you just climb a wall at once place and that's it. And then in a rune challenge you have to actually climb a wall, then jump to another wall to climb or something more tricky. I don't know. But I'm not going to worry about that too much when Doom 4 was awesome and Doom Eternal looks good, it would be pretty weird for them to sabotage their own game like that. They know more about this than we do.

So you see where you're making this a black and white "they have platforming, the platforming isn't unique to rifts, ergo the campaign makes you platform" and I just don't see it being that serious? Doom 4 had platforming in the campaign but it wasn't ever really a big deal. I'm just gonna leave it there.

Until we've seen more, until we watch someone actually stream a full campaign level or we get a reviewer's impression or we play it ourselves, I think we should just be chill and err on the side of trusting Id to make a sequel to Doom 4 that's fun like Doom 4.

Doom 4 had lots of jumping if you wanted to get all the doomguy dolls. You didn't have to get them all, and they were a nice change of pace to collect, even if dying from jumping is kinda dumb.

TLDR: If climbing a wall means its a platformer, then its a platformer, but then Doom 4 is a platformer too. A rip and tear platformer :cheeky: seems kinda silly to me.

would you describe the way the wall clinging was used in the trailer as "platforming?" was there an instance of it showing up that you would consider mere "level traversal" rather than "platforming?"

i think, going off the trailer, it's a mechanic that will probably appear in the main game, doesn't seem like it could serve much purpose other than platforming, and has only been shown in the context of platforming challenges. thus, using this specific mechanic as a demonstrative example of the existence of platforming in the game and not something that i am laser focusing any kind of specific ire on, i would conclude "the platforming sections in the trailer are indicative of platforming being a part of the main game, which they are iterating more on and developing more than they did in the previous game."

based on this discussion with me, regardless of if you fully agree with me or not, do you still stand by this post?

Zaphod42 posted:

Its purely goons being insane, there really isn't any of that in the trailer. This needs to stop now.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 10, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

As a reminder

to be perfectly honest while i somewhat disagree with zaphod here this is hardly an opinion i think is particularly, like, disgusting or out there. it's certainly one i've seen plenty often from other people, and one i can easily understand.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

"We're building an entire Doom universe!" is not a line that gets me excited.

This was my exact thought, though when the very next line was "but we know that the core focus of doom is good gameplay that delivers the best power fantasy in the business" I ended up pretty OK with it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

I want a Doom dating sim

Is Vega your cool wingman or one of the things you can date

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Both aren't good but neither is bad enough to warrant anything greater than annoyance

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm excited for doom: eternal, id software's new farming and dating simulator. the added RTS elements are what's really catching my eye though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

People including fan made doom levels as part of the core design of doom seems weird. Like, sure maybe you like their design better and new doom could move more in that direction, but when your example of "old doom was balls to the wall action" is a fan made level I don't think that really counts for the point you're making.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zzulu posted:

I played Doom as a kid and thought it was creepy as hell. It was a horror game to me

This was roughly my experience playing marathon as well. Was that just how that older style of fps rolled?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't find glitches speedruns interesting for more than a few minutes if all the player is doing is going out of bounds in weird ways. Crazy glitches that do other stuff is really interesting though, watching people manipulate their items in ocarina of time by repeatedly releasing and catching a fish, or bringing up the item shop manu for a red potion by jumping into water at the right time, is fascinating.

TAS is really interesting for this reason, games get broken in such bizarre ways once you're able to perform every action frameperfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Usually that stuff gets found by people doing TAS, then someone else figures out if/how it can be done by a human player