Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not that I necessarily have a problem with them, but the sync-kills are all completely optional, right? I hope this turns out well, but I'm wary. Some videos do look really plodding, but I've seen faster gameplay snippets too. Still, if it sucks there's always Shadow Warrior 2...

Mordja fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Severed posted:

Also, replacing a proper SDK with "snapmap" is a poor decision.

Wait, I didn't know snapmap precluded and SDK. I thought it was mostly just a way to allow user made content on consoles.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

counterfeitsaint posted:

Conan's gotten a few games a week or two early before, but I don't know that he's ever done a Clueless Gamer for a game 3 whole months before release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5FWxCb_qU4

Hardly any actual gameplay, and I wish it showed more than one enemy on screen at a time.

I didn't know they were still using megatextures; that significantly dampens my enthusiasm.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 10, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kibayasu posted:

Considering this didn't happen at all in Wolfenstein: TNO or TOB which also used the RAGE engine I'm wondering if its just id that have no idea how to use their own engine.

No, it definitely happens in Wolfenstein, but to a lesser extent, on midline PCs like my own.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mentioned it before but Shadow Warrior 2 is looking dope as gently caress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NxU3JXOinY
They specifically talk about foregoing canned animations in favour of keeping everything fluid, movement seems fast and empowering, and it looks like you'll have the whole run of the level to fight in, rather than the sectioned off arena areas of the first game.

Plus 70 different weapons, procedural side missions and optional 4-player co-op? God, I hope they pull it all off well.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I really loved Wolfenstein:TNO's auto shotguns; the way they blow off limbs, the fact that it upgrades into a flak cannon, the fact that you can dual wield them...

That said, while the game had a very satisfying arsenal, it was definitely lacking in variety and missed some of the more exotic weapons of its predecessors.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xenomrph posted:

Related to this, how were the modern Rise of the Triad and Shadow Warrior remakes? I own both on Steam but haven't had a chance to play them yet - my PC largely poo poo the bed and I haven't been able to rebuild it yet due to other expenses.

Though I never played the original, Shadow Warrior '13 isn't actually a remake, it's a reimagining. That said, it's real good, quite substantial for how cheap it was, and had some shockingly good writing. Though like Heavy Metal said, most of the combat encounters block of sections of the level with magic walls or whatever, arena style.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zaphod42 posted:

Or just play classic doom as Romero intended because its good as-is and don't need no newfangled WADs!

Already did that and now I'm playing newfangled WADs because modding is cool gently caress you dad.

Though Going Down and MSX might not have been the smartest combination...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zaphod42 posted:

Haha, going down rules but I wouldn't mix it with anything. The levels are so well designed, any other wads would just throw it off-kilter.

But you go nuts!

The problem with MSX specifically is that all the enemies move and shoot like they're on cocaine which doesn't mesh well with the way GD spawns its hell hordes under the assumption that you'll have enough time to navigate the level to deal with them in smaller groups.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I know it's not kosher to say, but I just can't stand watching people play multiplayer shooters with a controller.

E: Also I didn't see anyone so much as jump, UT comparisons are invalid.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My issue with loadouts is that if flattens weapon power, since every gun has to be an equally viable choice in most situations. The rocket launcher no longer becomes a valuable upgrade everyone fights over if they can just choose it from a menu.

Anyway, that said the multiplayer's definitely a side-attraction for me, what I'm most worried about is whether the singleplayer's level design will be up to scratch, and the fact that I haven't seen any videos of the player facing off against hordes of demons, just three or four at a time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

treat posted:

"Starting April 1 at 6pm ET, visit your local GameStop or EB Games (Canada) to receive a free Doom Closed Beta access code. Codes will be distributed through April 3"

Was going to try and get a code at lunch but then I read it's only after 6:00? Nah. :effort:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AdmiralViscen posted:

Unless you have, say, plans after work that will extend beyond the closing time of GameStop, where the lunch break sounds a lot more attractive.

I'm gonna go anyway and feign ignorance. The keys they're giving out include the PC version, right?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does the game have a server browser or is it all matchmaking?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The clerk at EB wasn't really clear about what was going on with the beta codes but said she'd give me one if I preordered.

Whelp, I tried. :shrug:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

empathe posted:

It'd have thousands if it was on Steam, easily.

It's also pre-alpha and very unfinished. I'm waiting for the beta at least until I start putting time into it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
haha it sure would be funny if someone knew they'd hate the beta before playing it and just give away there key, to me. hahaha wouldn't that be a laugh?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Do the various weapons seem like they'll be fun to use in singleplayer?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Overbite posted:

They announced premium multiplayer dlc for the low low price of $14.99 get you some more maps son.

Lol can't you just play user created maps why even buy that. Multiplayer in 2016 folks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hamburger Test posted:

Well, they got a good game out of it.

When is Maching Games' next thing. :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

A.o.D. posted:

I think this just became a steam sale for me. I guess I'll check it out in a few years.

More like months, I'd wager. I'm pretty sure the Doom brand doesn't hold much sway among the younger demographics, and a lot of what Bethesda's doing seems geared to pissing off fans of the old games; I'm guessing 50% off come Christmas.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Well, I finally got to play the new Doom for an hour!

Now I'm playing old Doom. Valiant is a cool wad.

OK but seriously, it's stupid that they're trying to ape from COD when people can just play COD. I'm not a fan of the series at all, but the little bits of beta I played of the last one makes me think it's a better game. Faster too, which sounds like a ridiculous thing to say. The thing is, even without the loadout system, nothing I played of the Doom beta stands out or even feels very good. Movement is pretty limited, weapon sounds and animations aren't very meaty, it all feels very substandard. And ffs I don't need floating numbers in my multiplayer shooter.

I'm installing the new UT now so I can give it a go for comparison's sake, though I want to wait until it's more complete before sinking a lot of time into it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

I'm installing the new UT now so I can give it a go for comparison's sake, though I want to wait until it's more complete before sinking a lot of time into it.

Trip report: wow that was immediately way more fun than Doom.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

thebushcommander posted:

I didn't play the beta, but is this about what I've heard of it in that it's basically a COD style multiplayer with a slightly faster pace where you have to setup pre-game load outs with perks and poo poo rather than being able to run around and pickup whatever is available?

No perks, and I'd say some of the newer COD games are actually faster. Loadouts are in and you get Burn Cards, which are single-use items that do stuff like let you see enemies' life or the person who fragged you last. There are health and armour pickups, as well as a slow-spawning demon runes and at least one special weapon.

I wasn't a fan.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Heavy Metal posted:

Aren't you gonna be playing it anyway? We're in the May 13th club yes?

And I'm not trying to squelsh criticsm or negativity, I'm just genuinely curious why some people post so frequently in a topic for a game they think will be poo poo. I've been pumped for this game for years and it's one of the most exciting releases of the decade for me, quite honestly. My expectations are high, I dare to dream baby! Though I expect it to be a bit short, but then again Doom is short too.

I hope the singleplayer is not poo poo, since that's what I'm really interested in. But I disliked the beta and worry about the game as a whole because--strip away complaints about loadouts, DLC and dances--the guns did not feel fun to shoot. And Doom is nothing without satisfying weapons. Again though, I'm hoping it's somehow completely different in singleplayer but I'm going to wait and see before committing money to the game.

E: Well known Doom modder and SA poster breaks down what makes guns satisfying in games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf-xxGkkWPs

Mordja fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 21, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, I enjoyed Serious Sam (only ever fully played through BFE tho) for what it was, but it's nothing like Doom. It's all about threat management in wide open spaces, not labyrinthine, carefully designed bases. It's the only FPS that actually felt stressful to play at later levels, which I appreciated in a weird way.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Did they say how many monsters you'd be able to stuff into a level?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

JerryLee posted:

In the old days id also wouldn't have spent half a decade spinning their wheels before getting to the point where the game being "done" was even a thing on the horizon :smith:

Are any of the oldtimers still at id anymore?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kazvall posted:

We outsourced all the bad parts. And the good parts, too. So, you're going to be left with the bland. :D

The Soylent of videogames.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Here's my predictions about DOOM: Retard 4 based on everything we've seen. The singleplayer campaign will be fun and fairly substantial, but too reliant on spawning monsters into bespoke arenas, and while we'll all appreciate the added verticality, the map design will never live up to the first two games because of how sectioned off everything is. Given the graphical fidelity of the monsters, their more complicated AI routines and the fact that they seem to soak up more damage, as well as--let's face it--the fact that the game has to be scaled down to run well on consoles, I'm guessing 20 is the upper limit to the number of enemies we'll be facing at a time outside of heavily scripted sequences.

SnapMap will be cool, and a lot of nifty stuff will be made by the community, but it'll ultimately be too limiting for the people who want to go crazy like they do in the old games. If id really doesn't release actual mod tools it'll be a wasteland in a year or so. I definitely wouldn't expect any slaughtermaps being made.

Lol if anyone cares about multiplayer.

At the end of the day, Do4M will probably be regarded as a better game than Doom 3, and I imagine it'll sell well on its name and pedigree, but I doubt it will have a lasting impact. Most of the series' creatives will continue to make .wads and modpacks for GZDoom and the like, and Dooms 1 and 2 will still be regarded as the definitive games in the series.

There's my hot take, thanks for reading and hth! :downs:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Calling it now: the game ends on a DOOM 2 cliffhanger

I've been calling this sequel Retard 4-2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Pretty much says it all tbh.

E: Are they still in the business of writing reviews about how you should be able to talk to the demons and by fighting the forces of hell you're literally punching down?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I've never played Brutal Doom.

You should, it's a lot of fun!

Wamdoodle posted:

Play Project Brutality instead.

Play both!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Johnny Joestar posted:

project brutality is better in every way

I dunno, sometimes you want to play Retard 1 with a modern take on classic weapons. I haven't played PB yet but I'm currently looking forward to it more than Retard 4 itself, but I did play BD and enjoyed the gosh-darned-heck out of it! I also enjoy the gosh-darned-heck out of regular Doom, as well as just about all the gameplay mods I've tried! Semper mods!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wamdoodle posted:

Play Doom however you want to honestly. Just play Doom :hellyeah::devil::tfrxmas:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Has anyone tried to run this game on a stock 750, not a Ti? Though tbh I'll probably wait until I upgrade, though that won't be at least until the 1070 is out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

Has anyone tried to run this game on a stock 750, not a Ti? TBH I'll probably wait until I upgrade my PC, though that won't be at least until the 1070 is out.

Lost on last page, maybe.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, I stopped in at the EBGames near work at lunch today and there is zero promotion for this game. None. I saw Overwatch posters, Uncharted 4 boxes stocked at the window, and even a ton of COD: Infinite Warfare stuff but the only showing for DO4M was a couple of copies in the new releases section.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

Huh. In Australia? I went to my local EB and they had a bunch of t-shirts, novelty wallets, artbooks and Cacodemon socks at the front counter. Maybe the staff at my local one are just more excited about ripping and/or tearing?

Canada in my case, an EB in the Eaton Centre, one of the biggest malls in the city. I guess it's different store to store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yessssss...An overwrought thinkpiece has hit the first tower.
https://twitter.com/IBTGamesUK/status/731081336170123265
:yum: