Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
What's a doom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I liked the doom books. They're not high literature but they were entertaining and kind of weird, especially the 4th book.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
There's something about the marketing for this, with its focus on violence, and all the glory kills and slamming a corpses face into an eye scanner that makes Doom 4 come across as trying too hard to be cool and edgy but actually being kind of embarrassing, like its the Guy Fieri of first person shooters.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I agree. Thing is video game publisher marketing teams are hilariously out of touch, and Bethesda's team is no exception.

I don't think it's entirely on marketing, unless marketing made them put all that stuff in the game and made the kill streak call outs really lame (genocide?)

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Heavy Metal posted:

Who would find this edgy in 2016, especially in a game with cartoony demons? From my perspective you're misreading this, and the jedi are evil also. I think fun is the tone they're looking for, at least to fans of stuff like cheesy horror movies and heavy metal style etc.

i dunno, I'm not into ultra violence and gore like I was when I was a wee boy. I thought the new MK took it too far and I don't really like the glory kills.

I play Doom with smooth doom and that adds more blood and splats and stuff but that's old pixel violence. Folding an imp in half every few seconds isn't appealing to me and it feels like it was designed to appeal to kids who aren't old enough to buy the game on their own, or streamers who will see a demon ripped in half and instantly pull a stupid face like they were in a react video thumbnail.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I cant wait to shoot demons and slam dews with my bros. this uac facility is dangerous. dangerously cheesy

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Jia posted:

I'm really glad we have a thread full of experts on what is or isn't doom

doom was my first computer game. i am your senpai

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Jia posted:

It was mine too. Truly, in this moment, we are family.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The Doom Closed Beta client appeared in my steam library so I'm installing it. I didn't preorder wolfenstein and I bought it over a year after it came out so I don't know why I have an invite but I'll take it I guess!

Was playing Doom 3 with sikkmod, it's an ok game I think. It's not trying to be Doom 1 or 2 which makes it not as bad. Doom 4 is trying to be a doom mod that gets old after 20 minutes.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Al-Saqr posted:

I like how definite your opinion is before you even played it.

Also brutal doom is really awesome from beginning to end.

Yeah brutal doom is awesome from beginning to when you end it, 20 minutes later.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I wish UT2k4 was still a thing

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Well we can launch the steam version now but the bethesda splash screen is super choppy and then the program stops responding.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I played about an hour of the beta and here are my thoughts

The graphics are pretty bad? I noticed there's an advanced graphic menu that is grayed out so maybe there's more to tinker with in there but with what there is in the beta it's just too blurry and smeared, the motion blur is crazy (turn it off), the vsync kills framerate (turn that off too), and the fov is extremely low.

I maxed out the mouse sensitivity and it's still too low.

The guns seem weak. Maybe since they made it so you can have any gun at any time they made them all weaker . The rocket launcher doesn't have much splash damage to it, around 55hp for a direct hit and 9 for a foot away. Super shotgun is more powerful than the rocket at close range. lightning gun is nothing like it is in quake. Plasma takes a ton of shots to kill.

Maps feel kinda like quake 3 maps so that's ok.

Once I got into the groove I had some ok battles but the rocket + shotgun combo seems to be the best.

Also there's no text chat in lobby.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I had the crashing problem and here's what i did to fix: don't press anything. put your hands on your lap and wait for the menu.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Ugh, I wish there was a way to make this game run smoother. The hell map is ok but the other one is jittery. I have a 970, i5, and 12gb ram. I dunno what to do!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I wish idtech games ran better on my PC. Wolfenstein was like this too. I can run witcher 3 on max at 60, GTAV maxed at 60, pretty much anything but games on idtech. Thanks Carmack.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I just played some of that new Unreal Tournament and it's a lot faster than this Doom and the weapons feel better.

It also has like 12 people playing it at the moment.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I can confirm that I have joined games in progress

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Mordja posted:

haha it sure would be funny if someone knew they'd hate the beta before playing it and just give away there key, to me. hahaha wouldn't that be a laugh?

Here is a key for u

ALWAYS-BETON-DUKE

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

The Blue Caboose posted:

What are you running on? I get a super solid 60 FPS in both TNO and the Doom betas, and i get about 40 FPS maxed in the Witcher...

gtx970
i5-4690k
12gb ram
1080p

With everything on max aside from vsync (which is off) it goes between 40 and 60 constantly, it's annoying.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
rip

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I had some fun with Duke Nukem Forever

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'd complain about audio logs and how devs should tell their stories better but its doom. Hopefully we don't have to listen to them just to get a code to unlock a cabinet.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
They announced premium multiplayer dlc for the low low price of $14.99 get you some more maps son.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Snap Map is more restrictive than I would have liked, and my enounter spawners don't work because theres a limit to how many enemies you can put on the map at once and it sucks but I made a level anyway.

7QK7QX8T or search for #overbite

It's my first map :shobon:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

TopHatGenius posted:

I liked it! It was fun. The part at the end was tough but good. I'd recommend raising your box volume trigger though - seems like players could jump over it. Also you can make volumes invisible but still work.

Thank you for playing it :) I wanted to make that trigger invisible but couldn't figure out how. I'll maybe make another map.

Don't like how its just plopping down monsters into prefab rooms. I know you can do all kinds of weird things with the logic but I just want normal levels.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Zaphod42 posted:

You're choosing to interpret anything anybody says in the worst way so you can feel smug. gently caress off tuo. But hey, keep on being tuo ;)

Oh my god stop posting

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The cacodemons are actually boglins and the holes are where you put your fingers to make it move

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Everything I’ve heard of doom eternals soundtrack (I don’t remember any music from doom 2016 aside from chugga chugga) is that quake 2 has a better metal ost. I’m not digging any of this.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
What if we could just talk to the demons

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The big floating ? just makes me think there’s an asset missing.

Have they said if the cyberdemon and spider mastermind are gonna be sprinkled throughout the levels like normal enemies or are they still sectioned off boss fights?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
As long as we can't glory kill the cyberdemon. we can only shoot it until it dies

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

dogstile posted:

I checked through the last 5 pages and didn't see this, so sorry if this is reposted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgtgSN_cfDs

This is Vulturebeat trying to get through the game. It rivals the Polygon review on sheer :wtf:

Says that's Dean Takahashi playing, the same guy who did this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=848Y1Uu5Htk

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I don’t see any other reason they would upload 10 minutes of someone floundering around in one area, unable to progress. It shows nothing of the game, it shows nothing of how it’s played, it just shows the dude is bad at game.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I hope there’s a fishing mini game.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Rap is what da yoots are inta so we gotta put da rap in da commercial -a suit

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I can get 200+ FPS on doom 16 with an i5 and a 1080 at 1080p so I should be able to get 144fps in this I hope.

Also wish they would put out doom 64 early so I can play that before

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Pollyanna posted:

So is this game gonna be good?

No

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So in doom 2016 i was able to easily get over 200 fps but here I'm struggling to get 60 in outdoor areas. I downloaded the day one drivers too. I thought this was even more optimized than doom 2016? It runs a lot worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Overbite posted:

So in doom 2016 i was able to easily get over 200 fps but here I'm struggling to get 60 in outdoor areas. I downloaded the day one drivers too. I thought this was even more optimized than doom 2016? It runs a lot worse!

I did some looking and

https://twitter.com/axelgneiting/status/1240685700179046401

this fixed it. steam fps counter impacts FPS a lot. I turned it off and gained like 100fps