Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Craptacular! posted:

I love Quake 1/2/3, but John Romero is overrated. The only real dud from id after he left and before id turned into a Bethesda brand was Doom3

I can understand why people didnt like doom3, but I enjoyed it despite it being so different. I actually just beat the expansion late last year for the first time.

Id say Quake 4 but that was Raven. It also wasnt horrible, but is an example of how far design and expectations have come since Quake 1/2.

I would like to see a 20th anniversary release of Quake 1 this year for consoles with all expansions and 4 player split screen capable matches.

I am cautiously optimistic for DOOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

You know, as someone who grew up with the original DOOM, quake, and Unreal games, I was cautiously optimistic for this game before. I expected it to be okay, but not amazing. That being said, with the recent trailers have me a lot more hyped than i would have expected to be. SNAPMAP is also a really cool thing that can, if the game is good, really extend it's life. Kinda bummed there wont be real MOD support, but snapmap is a very welcome feature and will allow less skilled people to still make meaningful content far after launch,.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think they've come out and said that they would not have a problem releasing an SDK, but given the way Id's engines work you would need a 5 figure supercomputer to even run it. Snap Map is an alternative that allows people that don't work at a company with a render farm to create content.

Ah understood. Well hoping that if the game is successful enough, they release more and more content to SNAPMAP on a regular basis (or at least some big additions) to allow for even more variety of potential.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

FutonForensic posted:

Bethesda. You own the Quake Announcer audio files. Just use that. Everyone likes that

On an unrelated note, one of the things i keep hoping for this year for Bethesda's e3 is a 20th anniversary version (was released in 1996) of QUAKE 1 with 4 player split screen, steam workshop, runs in windows (obviously), and both expansions. Of course, we didnt really get a doom anniversary edition, so im not counting on it.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

This thread isn't bad enough so let's try to get it there: Explain the differences betweeen UT and Doom and Quake without referencing fluff.

Unreal - Single payer experience with aliens
Unreal Tournament - An arena shooter that is known for weapons with multiple functions and custom maps and mods.
Quake - A single player game series about the borg and marines who are unfortunate enough to meet them.
Quake 3 - An arena shooter with lots of levels in open space with no explanation.
DOOM - See Unreal but demons from hell.

Daikatana - John Romero's attempt to kill the FPS genre.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Agoat posted:

I've decided that Doom's new MP is fun and good. Loadouts are fine, we still have important map pickups.

Watched some footage and looks fun. But then again, I don't buy DOOM for multiplayer.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Rage was good when you were actually shooting stuff. Shame that was only about 10 minutes of the game.

If Rage didnt have driving or the driving sequences felt more meaningful, then it would have been a better game. Still, I liked it, despite the cliffhanger ending. They should make a second one.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
Game is getting really, really positive reviews on steam and from some critics like totalbiscuit. Really happy this game (appears) to be really solid. I dont care about Multiplayer at all, but looks cool enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

phourniner posted:

Total came to $37 on G2A.com. Bought two keys from there last night and it was super easy using Paypal. Instant key as well.

Ooh thats tempting. But then again G2A.com