Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Woohoo, finished Eternal + DLCs

- 10000% had a lot of fun, and would recommend to anyone

- Jesus gently caress I thought I was an ok FPS player but DLC1 loving broke me, I knew I had to take it down a lvl before going onwards
- difficulty level felt good for Eternal + DLC2

- what the gently caress, the story is loving retarded and I needed to replay it + read a wiki to get my head around it, it's that stupid
- i still love you VEGA, what have they done to you

- combat loop needs more punching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Is there/was there/will there be a chance to get all the nice-looking skins+rewards from previous "seasons" ??

(also, is it considered lame if you finish Icon of Sin on Nightmare, but with the Sentinel Armour that is given when you lose enough times? Or if you just go back after collecting enough Extra Lives from the earlier missions?)

(i know the answer :( )

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
A nice little DLC that covers DOOM ending -> Eternal start would be great.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
New bodysuit available with QuakeCon - just login and you get a Quake theme suit

(no streaming required)

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

toasterwarrior posted:

they patched in the old menu music back, what could this mean??

(also acknowledged that stupid bug where the map menu ambient music constantly plays the moment you open up the map, but said it'll be fixed in a later patch aaaaargh)

oh thank god, I thought I was going insane

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

The Kins posted:

Patch Notes

• Fixed the Automap ambient music bug!

Oh thank god, this is easily the best fix

I thought this was the World Crystal ambient noise at first, just like a crystal humming across the world, because, you know, its a world crystal

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
It looks like they've fixed a few achievements as well - I was finally able to get the "Nuke a Single Zombie with 1 BFG Shot". I dunno about Argentas Paladi, but there might be hope!

And Samuel finally shuts the gently caress up about the Unmakyr when I get back into the Fortress of Doom

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Aw man, I wish I played more Battlemode before this release. I'm just getting hosed because I'm in the deep end, and I don't think I'll get the skins before the event is over :(

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Ciaphas posted:

thread seems pretty down on The Ancient Gods as a whole, from skimming it. worth picking up?

I beat DE on nightmare last year and am having a hell of a fight of it this year on UV. I've regressed :argh: (worse, apparently I beat nightmare without ever quickswitch shooting a marauder - this was before the cartoon stars of I'm Stunned were added, so I guess I was just oblivious until I saw those this playthrough lol)

If you liked DE, there's no reason not to get TAG1+2. They have flaws, but they're not overwhelming or gamebreaking - you'll still have a lot of fun!!

--

I was doing some Battlemode 2.0 just to get my double XP for the Thanksgibbing event, and I got matched up against World No.1 Slayer (My matchmaking level would be at the very low of low, as I've lost most of my matches since I'm just learning how the gently caress to play a 2v1 game). I wish there was a bigger player base / some way to fix this, because getting utterly hosed within 15 seconds isn't fun, or even a opportunity to get better :smith:

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Imagine creeping through a noneuclidean hallway with a shotgun and a bloody axe; ambient industrial music plays--mainly the sounds of chains and subway tunnels. Suddenly an ogre emerges from the shadows! You shoot him several times with your shotgun, psh! psh! psh! but run out of ammo--you retreat back the way you came, to hide in the twisted maze while the ogre searches for you.

Eventually you uncover a secret area with six precious shells. Loading them into your shotgun, you finally manage to dispatch the ogre with two shells to spare.

Now you need to find a hand crank to open the gate to proceed to the next level, where you'll encounter a Death Knight that must be defeated with a setpiece battle.

QUAKE

Scrags? Airbone Imps, x2 damage
Rottweilers? Dread Knights on even more cocaine
Fiends? Barons of Hell that are as horny as gently caress, and you're like, super sexy

Vores? Sexual competitors, you know that sound

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Trip Report: Battlemode 2.0 (i.e. because I lost my first Ultra Nightmare kill on Icon of Sin and had to step away from Campaign mode for a while)
---

After going through;

- The last few weeks of season 1
- All of season 2 (6-7 weeks I think?)
- A few weeks of season 3 so far

and also;

- Grinding for the various rewards (I certainly didn't catch them all, they better be back in future seasons :smith: )
- Getting my Altar of Glory reward (which means 50x matches on 5 different Demons + Slayer)
- Working on both the easy and hard-to-get multiplayer achievements

and most importantly, just starting up Battlemode and random times and playing for fun - I feel like I can safely say; this is not a mode for casuals.

It's not only a skill barrier; any multiplayer game will smack you up when you start playing (this ain't single player country)
It's not only a matchmaking issue; no MM system is perfect, and eventually you'll come along to someone who you shouldn't be
It's not only a balance issue; the game is inherently unbalanced (it's 2v1, c'mon), but we're talking small degrees here
It's not only a knowledge issue; finding the info for how things work / discovering the meta takes a little time and effort
It's not only a teammate issue; finding someone to play with and learn is the whole thing of online gaming

But when all of these combine, you hit a wall very loving hard, very loving early. And it's really loving tough to scale that wall at any kind of pace that doesn't make you say "gently caress this, I'm going back to single player, at least I know I was having fun there".

After all I've games I've played, all the research I've done, all the guides I've read, blah blah - I'm still a casual, compared to most other people I keep meeting in Battlemode. Being a casual is ok, but fuuuuuuck, I can't see any way of getting any fun out of Battlemode right now. I'm just playing to get the rewards I can (I always knew I wasn't going to reach top 100 or something stupid) - I am a grinder and a collector so I have no problem with this, but I know there is no pleasure or enjoyment in playing Battlemode for me. It just feels like it doesn't cater for anyone just wanting to play a few quick games, get a few wins / eat a few losses, and come back to an even, level experience later.

It's just so sad to me; thinking of other multiplayer games I played (whatever formats/grouping), even when I was losing and no pretty costumes / rewards existed, I was still having fun. I was throwing my hands up in both exasperation and excitement - I lost, but at least I was in with a chance and knew that I could win with a bit more time and effort. With Battlemode, I'm just feeling hopeless hope; hope that I will get matched up with someone who is playing their first matches, so I can have a good match, learn something, and maybe eek out a win and possibly to contribute to my grind (which doesn't even realistically include all possible non-ranked rewards). But I know this is hopeless, because the far more likely alternative is getting smashed by the top-tier crazies - and neither side has fun because it's over in less than 30 seconds. The wall gets higher, the player pool gets smaller, and the thought of having good fun games is just a dream.

TL;DR - I suck, and if you're not into Battlemode by now, you probably won't like it if you try it. But I don't think that's your fault.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

nemesis_hub posted:

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I have a feeling I’ll come down on the side of those who prefer 2016 given what’s been said but I’m still gonna give Eternal a shot.

The term “boomer shooter” should be considered hate speech, though.

100% get it, it's a great game regardless of your experience with Doom 2016.

Doom 2016: "oh gently caress! gently caress! gently caress! *continue on*"
Doom Eternal: "oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh fuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *stop, breath, repeat*"

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
10th Feb is end of the season for Battlemode / Horde

Get grinding if you want those skins/titles/icons/whatever!

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

toasterwarrior posted:

give it a bit more time after clearing the actual arena, iirc they put in a fix a while back where if an enemy isnt in a place you can reach/OOB for too long it'll automatically time out and die after a while

99% this does work, but there is the chance it doesn't - twice on ML Mars Core I've been just twiddling thumbs for a loooooong time

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
It's true, people do think unless you've got your balls in a vice, you're not playing the game "as you should be" :(

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
But, it is so incredibly satisfying to Ice Bomb -> Meathook + SSG -> Blood Punch a CyberMancubus RIGHT IN ITS FAT loving FACE

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Fuligin posted:

Are there any mods for Eternal? would love something that moved things a bit closer to 2016's flow

https://www.nexusmods.com/doometernal/mods/trendingalltime/ - Not sure if there's something perfect for what you want, but you might find something!

--

Currently trying harder for my Ultra Nightmare kill; last death was to Gladiator, next one was at that loving Arachnotron camping at the end of first level.

This loving game :unsmith:

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

jokes posted:

Doom is about to introduce cover mechanics thankfully

is it really Doom if you can't crouch, sneak behind a UAC crate, wait for a patrol to walk by obliviously, and then silently RIP AND loving TEAR THEIR HUGE GUTS OUT?!

(then hide the body, bitterly disappointed)

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Doomykins posted:

Oh yeah I love it but like "Doom Eternal is a brand new gameplay loop" OR "Doom Eternal is too much to juggle" and I'm over here like "plasma rifle go bzzzt + press C occasionally" and I only learned to quick-swap and fire with weapons and grenades when I did a replay to get into the DLC. Just cave-manning it up in the middle.

Going back to 2016 is a little rough with the reduced monster roster but that's just history repeating itself ala Doom 1 vs Doom 2.

Who the gently caress do you think you are, actually playing and enjoying a game YOUR way?

think of the meta you selfish bastard

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
New* series out!

Ok, not a new new series, but includes Series 13 / 14 / 16! And more importantly, they've wrapped back around to Series 1 for Battlemode 2.0 - so you can start collecting any cool skins/titles/etc that you've missed out on!

(I'll never get Dinner is Delicious :smith: )

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Man, why does someone always get hosed over for doing their job well :smith:

On the other hand, that was a very well researched and presented rebuttal/defense.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Xenomrph posted:

I should get off my rear end and replay the game and finally play the Ancient Gods DLC.

When Eternal came out I think the bit that chafed the most was the plot. Like yeah I know, “lol, plot in a Doom game”, but Doom 2016 did it right by having very little discernible plot although if you wanted to go read lore stuff you could totally do it.

Doom Eternal not only tried to shove the plot front and center and expected you to give a poo poo, but it half-assed it and had a massive disconnect between the first and second game by having a ton of poo poo happen off-screen and didn’t even bother explaining it with an exposition dump or anything.

How did the Doom Slayer escape captivity after the first game? Where did his space fortress come from? Who on earth is the Maykr and where did she come from? If we stopped the demonic incursion in the first game, how did Earth get totally hosed? How did Samuel Hayden get all hosed up? All of this stuff happens off-screen in between games I guess. That would be okay I guess if the game didn’t try to get you to give a poo poo about the plot and its “lore”. What the gently caress is Nekravol, or Exultia? Hell doesn’t need elaborate lore or backstory or geography or spelled-out mechanisms of what souls do in Hell and how Hell’s soul-economy works; it’s Hell, a lovely abstract godawful afterlife plane of existence where bad people go when they die, and it’s full of awful demons that desperately need to be shot to death.

You know that gigantic body you find underwater in the Maykr’s world? Did that end I having any payoff? Was that the Icon of Sin in stasis, just floating there? Or were you just supposed to find it, say “oh, that’s neat”, and then it never gets brought up again?

How did the Doom Slayer escape captivity after the first game?
- not really mentioned, unfortunately. I'm guessing something to do with VEGA's backup being stored in the Praetor suit in DOOM 2016 -> magically getting him to a convenient Fortress of Doom.

Where did his space fortress come from?
- A vague mention of the Night Sentinels's empire, and their visit to Mars/Earth in their history; and how they built outposts like the Fortress of Doom to keep an eye on things. How did the Slayer get a hold of one and make it his home. ummmm....maybe VEGA did some magic? Maybe there was one around Mars that Sammy had as a backup before it all went to poo poo?

Who on earth is the Maykr and where did she come from?
- Khan Bitch is super-consciousness of all Maykrs, which were created by the Father to help out with creation stuff (DLC spoiler - actually by the Dark Lord)

If we stopped the demonic incursion in the first game, how did Earth get totally hosed?
- Mars demonic incursion was masterminded by a Hell Priest (who we don't see in DOOM 2016), using Olivia Pierce (poor girl). Hell survived - Earth's demonic incursion is basically part 2, with more Hell Priests involved.
- (DLC spoiler - the Slayer's entire thought progress is basically "gently caress this small thinking, I will literally kill God, Satan, and blow up everything to stop Demons forever")

How did Samuel Hayden get all hosed up?
- Sammy came back to Earth after stealing the Slayer's crucible in 2016, and was all like "Heeey ignore what happened on Mars, I got the touch, I got the Argent Power!". Then it all went to poo poo when Hell invaded Earth, and Sammy was like "Heeey actually I saved the day on Mars, I can do it here, I got the touch". He got hosed up in a (off-screen) counter-attack which failed, and lost his power.

What the gently caress is Nekravol, or Exultia? Hell doesn’t need elaborate lore or backstory or geography or spelled-out mechanisms of what souls do in Hell and how Hell’s soul-economy works; it’s Hell, a lovely abstract godawful afterlife plane of existence where bad people go when they die, and it’s full of awful demons that desperately need to be shot to death.
- Nekravol gives Argent Energy to Urdak, the whole deal between Hell/Urdak is kinda why we're killing her.
- Exultia is just a Sentinel town, which has a portal to Hell where we go see Velen get our Hell Priest detector + titan heart stabber (you can see Nekravol from here!)

You know that gigantic body you find underwater in the Maykr’s world? Did that end I having any payoff?
- Not confirmed, but this is the next Khan Makyr's body. Khan Makyrs die every 10000 years, and a new one is chosen from all of the Makyrs. But since the Father disappeared, this process isn't possible, so Khan Bitch Makyr is now in charge.....forever (so long as she gets Argent Energy, which means a deal with Hell, which means Earth gets hosed)

Was that the Icon of Sin in stasis, just floating there?
- Nope, the Icon of Sin is a Titan with a Night Sentinel warrior's heart (Velen's son)

Or were you just supposed to find it, say “oh, that’s neat”, and then it never gets brought up again?
- NO READ CODEX, JUST RIP AND TEAR

KajiTheMelonMan fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Arc Hammer posted:

He took the form of the most dangerous being in existence.

I mean.....technically....actually...