Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

ET: Got Silent Assassin, somehow. I did the obvious militia soldier start, grabbed the elite outfit from the truck, vaulted over a railing to dodge the camera. Unfortunately I had completely forgotten that doing the other objective first locked me into the run, so I grabbed the intel when the hackers were out of the room.

Being locked into the run wouldn't be a problem except I somehow caused the ET to glitch out when I bumped into him when he was drinking (because I was trying to get him to hurry up to the balcony bit of his loop), meaning the water bottle just vanished forever. It wasn't on the table after he sat back down, and he would periodically stand up with his arms crossed, just staring at the spot his water bottle used to be before i apparently obliterated it from existence.

After 7 or 8 loops of nothing but that I decided I'd knock him out and pitch him over the balcony, meaning I had to knock out the two hackers and roaming guards on the floor. Right as I was dumping one in the bathroom I see the ET heading to the balcony on the minimap so I just shoved him and grabbed the mask for a basement escape.

I'm glad Sean Rose never went into the bathroom because I left a pair of unconscious dudes there.

I got the game over christmas so the only other ET I played was the one before this - the food critic. After trying and failing to snipe him from the hotel room overlooking his seat (the only rifle I had unlocked by then couldn't pierce through two windows) I just dropped a fire extinguisher next to him like everyone else apparently did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

One thing I' d like about assassination is to validate the next level (s) if you already fulfilled the new conditions in your last run. Like, no I don' t particularly want to do the exact same thing again.

I get that there are a lot of ones that wouldn't work this way (extra cameras, objects moved, delete evidence within a minute, etc), but it did kind of annoy me that my route for the priest one in Sapienza was pretty much identical most of the way through. There's no reason not to Silverballer the evidence when it's in the same room as the priest outfit, so adding extra cameras and the timer didn't change anything.

where the red fern gropes posted:

ok heres my contract

silent assassin go

The briefing for this is absolutely perfect.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I hope this one has a condition that you must assassinate the target dressed as Helmut Krueger.

Is the target the prime minister of Malaysia?

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

A contract to eliminate homestuck cosplayers. The bodies would just pile up.

Setpiece with Kane and Lynch lookalike contest. ET with the real Kane and Lynch, who are completely indistinguishable from the fakes.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

So will Advanced Camera Logic mean cameras can alert guards instead of just docking your score if you don't disable them?

Also Absolution limited you to one throwable at a time, so no idea if Strict Item Rules will be something like that. In this game I end every level with 47's pockets full of stolen wrenches.

Edit: Sorry, on mobile and couldn't get zoom to work, didn't realise this is all explained in the smaller text.

Brofessor Slayton fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 25, 2017

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Sometimes I expect new sets of unlocks to just be progressively louder shotguns.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Special unlock for cleaning all blood pools - Mr. Clean suit

Viscera Cleanup Detail: Agent 47

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

On my first Sapienza run I grabbed one of the remote explosives from the back of the lab, dropped it in the bin beside the virus (by using a hazmat disguise) and pulled a fire alarm so I could detonate it safely as I was leaving in the plane.

...Just shoot the stalactite.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

ICA is extremely concerned about vengeful ghosts.

If I wasn't on mobile I'd post that video of Agent 47 killing the easter egg ghost in the hotel level of one of the earlier games.

No contract mode in that one so sadly we've not yet been able to put a hit out on a ghost.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Jeoh posted:

I hosed up after killing Obara and walked into a restricted area where I was immediately spotted. No SA :(

I killed the target with a carefully timed fire extinguisher explosion, then immediately ran into a guard who could see through my hotel staff disguise, making every guard on the floor open fire. I never even figured out where the safe was.

Thanks Obara.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

double nine posted:

I do wish there were more colourful outfits that contrast with the background, like the Santa Suit.

In my dreams we get the gold suit and crazy devil mask from A Dance With The Devil as an unlock. I don't even care if there are no unique lines for wearing it.

Until then the Santa Suit really is the true choice of professionals.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Well, I botched the Silent Assassin rating (accidentally suckerpunched a guard after hiding the dude's body, leading to a bathroom fistfight), but managed to get both with the poison and escape alive to enjoy my bathrobe.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Did anyone else Emetic the ET dude and watch him run off to find a bin to throw up in... which was literally next to the toilet in the restroom?

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

The same trash can the hospital director runs for if you poison his snacks?

I never actually tried poisoning the director (I think I just knocked out a bunch of guards on the run where I used his disguise?), so probably. I just found it funny because the toilet was right there and there's no reason to drown him if you're going for the special poison.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

njsykora posted:

that's a risky thing with the enforcer who wanders about there.

I think this is the guy I accidentally started a fistfight with when trying to roll him for a disguise after the first ET kill, so yes.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Do you guys ever see a post and are completely unable to get the context of it, but agree nonetheless?
I don't know if this means Vampire Magician suit unlock for all levels, 47 in a pointy blue hat with stars on it or something else entirely but sure.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

I've already said I wanted the Devil Suit, but I would definitely settle for some kind of fancy wizard hat.

Anyway, new game mode time. The goal is to make the original targets of each level as happy as possible - help Jordan Cross record the perfect version of his song. Cook up some nice spaghetti for Silvio Caruso. Help General Zaydan practice for the big dance-off.
Obviously we're a bit constrained by the limits of our murder simulator but it's the thought that counts.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

Give Strandberg a lovely massage. Make Novikov his favourite drink. Clear out the sauna for Yuki.

Weirdly enough I can't think of any good deeds to do at Colorado.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Tippis posted:

Give Rose a nice acid trip?

I mean you could have said "replace his phone's battery" rather than drugging him to set off his OCD. That's less of a stretch.

At this point I expect someone to suggest we generously (and anonymously) donate some bullets.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Wizard of the Deep posted:

NanoSniper, that automatically dissolves bodies three seconds after the bullet enters their brain-pan.

You'll shoot CyberHelmut through three metres of solid steel, vaporising his body and causing your arch-nemesis Agent 4700 to choke to death on his fumes while you pull your collapsible hover-car from the suitcase to make a quick escape... and the guy above you on the leaderboard will still have just used a fire extinguisher.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

It's not good design (especially for ETs and Pro mode which make extra attempts difficult/impossible) but I still laugh when games have "Subdue" and "Gruesomely Murder" actions mapped to the same key. Like in Deus Ex HR where trying to punch someone's lights out usually lead to knives flipping out of your arm. It's like "Glass Him" but an emergent part of gameplay.

Still nice that it might be fixed now.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

What happens if you kill the target but then die before recovering the ledger? Partial success?

Completing any objective locks you into that run. So killing the target or grabbing the objective macguffin then dying is a failure and you can't try again.
You're allowed to restart as often as you like if you don't complete objectives. You use that to find out locations, patterns, etc.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Absolution just used elevators as stage transitions/mission exits. You lose your disguise when you enter or leave Dexter Labs because those elevators are the ends of a mission. So that stops you taking the squirrel fursuit to the wrestlinb match.

I was sure there were non-functioning elevators in the Bangkok hotel level but now that I think about it I've no idea where I thought they were. It's a very vertical level and I guess elevator shafts would make navigating it too easy, so fair enough.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

God, I still dream about an actual Hitman level set in a wrestling arena.

The Absolution level was a fun concept that didn't really work out. There's a few other levels like that in between all the dead hooker jokes and people sucker-punching 47 in cutscenes.

Isn't there idle chatter between guards on Colorado about a wrestler named The Hitman? It could be one hell of a season 2 level. Especially if you have the chance to get in the ring against one of your targets with full wrestling commentary, where they excuse anything short of gunning down your target because the guy you disguise as is a heel.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

It's on the radio that's playing around the camp's cooking area, and it's basically a joke about the concept of the level itself - The Hitman against the evil special forces terrorists.

Yeah, sounds about right. Must be the radio next to the guard staring at the nitro.

Anyway, Hitmania has to have a backstage area with a car as a level exit. Bonus points if you can actually kill your target by running over them as you leave.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Accident kill but no Silent Assassin for me because I murdered someone by mistake. Dropped a fire extinguisher in the house door and set a Breaching Charge once all the regular level targets had gone through their routines, but one of the ET's guards was caught in the blast.

Brofessor Slayton fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 19, 2017

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

I appreciate that this video exists. Paris is probably the best level for it too, as even the "nice" stuff on Sapienza involves giving someone food poisoning.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

horse mans posted:

I'm less interested in watching a perfectly clean, well-rehearsed professional takedown than crazy, arbitrary attempts that show off the player's ability to improvise and react to situations gone wrong.

For the older games there's How Not To Play Hitman, where nearly every level descends into a chaotic bloodbath set to They Might Be Giants or similar music.

I haven't really seen anything similar for the newest game. Let's Fuckin' Play Hitman shows off some fun routes but in a more controlled way.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Absolution had at least one outsourced kill - I think one of the targets in the Chinese New Year level is dropping his half of some illicit deal off, and you can swipe the other half of the exchange to escalate it into a gunfight he loses.

The canon route through that level is the chipmunk fursuit and three katana kills, though.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

The Kins posted:

It's basically a travel show, but during the talking-head interviews with whoever's being featured you can occasionally see a pair of limp feet being dragged away through an open door in the background.

In scene changes halfway through the interview clips sometimes the subject mysteriously becomes bald.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

Instead of having two assassins you could go with an agent + handler approach.

I know that you mean hacking, intel and environmental stuff for player 2 (which could legit be pretty great). However, my mind immediately supplied the idea of a 12-year old pubbie taking Diana's place in the mission briefing.

"Hey 47, kill your mom with a dildo. Also get some weed."

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

You load up the new ET on Marrakesh, but the game gives you a popup warning - "xXxKILLR47ASASIN420xXx has infiltrated the game!"

You occasionally spot a custom character that looks uncannily like Shrek in the crowd outside the embassy, but you can't kill him in full view of the crowd.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Co-op level set in theater, with horse disguise requiring both players.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Kolnikov posted:

I hope they make the final Elusive Target 47 himself, in some kind of weird existential nightmare.

This sounds like part of a creepypasta. You load up the game weeks after beating this ET and it's just the camera pointed at 47's dead body, and the high scores are predictions of how you will die.

You snap your fingers. This SCREAMING AS YOUR BONES ARE CRUSHED rear end in a top hat got Silent Assassin in 28 seconds? Probably shot a fire extinguisher.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Welp I look forward to the Hitman reboot in ten years. It'll be a first-person shooter

You're a Hitman in World War 2. Your target? The entire German army.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

If IO releases a game about a shaven headed contract killer named Tubby who uses uh, gold, silenced lugers and a usb cable to murder people could Square do poo poo about it?

I imagine Tubby keeps 47's disguise abilities, which means every level has several overweight bald guys for you to mug.
Tubby: Quiet Killer. Enter a world of murdering people.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

In the case of Hidden Valley it's dumb luck AND exploiting the AI. I vaguely remember something about ninjas chasing me but never opening fire and gradually giving up. It was some Benny Hill poo poo.

If the ninjas walk in front of a truck and die (which they do even if it's stationary as the trucks have a killplane in front at all times) then they're added to your kill count immediately. So it both disqualifies you from Silent Assassin and causes everyone to go on high alert on this huge map littered with snipers, all because ninjas were jaywalking.
It may be the reason moving vehicles and sniper guards stopped showing up in the series.

Hokkaido Clinic is pretty straightforward by comparison while keeping the nice snowy Japan aesthetic.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Tippis posted:

It also makes the old Sapienza SA-ruining move where you'd run over people during the ending sequence that much more funny.

Sadly you can't leave until your targets are dead, so no car accident contracts are possible.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Absolution owns and plays like how a Hitman movie should have been

kind of

I've never seen either Hitman movie. If they're anything like Absolution's story I stick by my choice.

Incidentally Texasman is meant to be from Hope, South Dakota. There's a cutscene with Mount Rushmore which led to me immediately googling what state that was in.

Hope Streets Part 1 is a fantastic level. Unfortunately it eventually leads to the barely-interactive level where you are encouraged to murder Texasman's mentally-handicapped son (or leave him to die in the desert).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

I played a bit of Absolution again not so long ago and after the library escape and heading through the weed plantation I had to take an elevator down and walk through a few hallways of cops, but I had no "instinct" so i couldn't tweak with my cap long enough to pass them all by. What a terrible decision.

Absolutely. The Instinct Meter wasn't a good idea. Highlighting interactable objects and the NPC x-ray vision were kept in 2016. Instinct got replaced by just having dots over the heads of people who could see through your disguise and not making all disguises completely useless at fooling NPCs in the same clothes.

In Hope Jail the only available disguise (if you don't pick one up in Hope Court) is the police uniform, and wearing it will lead to all the cops laughing at you for thinking they wouldn't know.

Although Hope Court had the courtroom setpiece/judge disguise which was a fun idea.