Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I *almost* got caught when running out of the bedroom - the AI gave me the "you're trespassing" line but somehow I didn't get detected. Too goddamn close by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I've got one professional Colorado challenge left until I get that silly sniper rifle. SASO and String Quartet were my favorites. String Quartet was fun for just how brazenly you can garrote Rose and Graves if you start as a hacker.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nakar posted:

You don't, it's a loving stupid Escalation and don't even attempt to SA the last level or you'll drive yourself insane.

But if you must do it right... there's a Masseur disguise pickup available in the lockers in the middle of the tunnel between the shoe shop and consulate garage. No, you're not supposed to have any idea that's there. No, it's not easy to get. No, it's not worth it. But that's where it is and that's how you do it, if you're trying for SA. Otherwise just loving kill Konny and go about your business.

I know that, but how do you handle the hack?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Discendo Vox posted:

I know that, but how do you handle the hack?
Oh OK regarding the hack, it's sort of broken. Head turning has made it where the guy on the couch will see you even though he's not supposed to and even if the guard and janitor are not looking. So what you can do instead is wait for everybody's back to be turned, lure him over to the side of the room where the printer is (you don't have to go super far, just kind of toward that back wall), and emetic syringe him. Then the only thing to worry about is the one office worker who wanders in and out, as long as your guard/janitor positioning is good.

If it's the laptop down in the conference room for lv5 you can do the same thing with I believe the man who goes to the snacks table. Make sure the woman and old man aren't looking and if he's emeticed you'll have a sufficient window to hack the laptop. If that doesn't work try the woman, just get rid of one of the two and hack when the other NPCs are moving away. The security guard in my experience won't catch you at the distance he's standing.

The takeaway is use an emetic syringe, you can figure out the rest from there. It's an older one and is broken without that due to head turns.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I see, thanks. That was actually academic, since I'd handled it already some less quiet way. I actually had no problem finding the masseuse outfit; I just thought, "if I were going to hide the outfit, where would I put it?" After Zaydan's office and the shishia cafe, the tunnel was the next most logical place.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm having trouble doing the "Poison all four targets" challenge for Professional Colorado. There are two lethal pill vials on the map, which is the perfect amount to poison the two women, as they're the only two who drink. But now I have just one syringe, the one that I bring, to poison the two guys. There's supposed to be an extra syringe in the main house's basement but it looks like that's not available in Professional Mode. So what am I meant to do?

e: Found it. It was there all along :doh:

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 20, 2017

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
http://www.hitmandb.com/index.php

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Eurgh, it's Kotti. I'll pass.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Discendo Vox posted:

Eurgh, it's Kotti. I'll pass.

why

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Wetzel down- thank you so much for your help! I feel like I should've figured out the hallway approach for the female target, but the car alarm area is bonkers for me- it's really plainly in view of the crowd and Decker's bodyguard, yet it's magically isolated. I wouldn't have figured that out in a million years.

Kotti's the guy on the balcony in Sapienza (thanks to winning a contest in the Absolution days), and he also got to co-design the Kotti Paradigm escalation. He's also one of the most vocal, obsessive and entitled of the streamers in the Hitman community- a group of people who get really angry if everything the devs do doesn't cater to their speedrun/streaming/obsessive challenge style of play. These are people who get mad that it's not possible to complete every target, escalation and ET suit only, or from across the map using (traffic-generating) explosive tricks. If he's the one behind this, it's probably because he wants to use it as leverage to make the devs do something.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 20, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Kotti's the guy on the balcony in Sapienza (thanks to winning a contest in the Absolution days), and he also got to co-design the Kotti Paradigm escalation. He's also one of the most vocal, obsessive and entitled of the streamers in the Hitman community- a group of people who get really angry if everything the devs do doesn't cater to their speedrun/streaming/obsessive challenge style of play. These are people who get mad that it's not possible to complete every target, escalation and ET suit only, or from across the map using (traffic-generating) explosive tricks. If he's the one behind this, it's probably because he wants to use it as leverage to make the devs do something.
Maybe he should make a million posts about a dream difficulty setting that makes everything ultra-tedious in the megathreads for at least two games.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Discendo Vox posted:

Way to take a stand I guess but unless I'm missing something isn't it just a place people can go to log bad ratings on bad elusive targets? Like the one currently active?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

More importantly its a way contract creators can actually share their jobs and be rated so the good ones can float to the top instead of the vast, empty void all non-featured contracts are hurled into currently.

A good website.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Kins posted:

Maybe he should make a million posts about a dream difficulty setting that makes everything ultra-tedious in the megathreads for at least two games.

hey now, two hundred posts about dream difficulty settings that make everything ultra-tedious in megathreads for at least five games. Seriously, the problem with designing actually interesting escalations textually is there's no way to fully capture the emergent route possibilities from a list of objectives that can't be played, and explaining the intended route ruins it. What we can do is read something like "Challenge: Cremate Yamazaki without being spotted" and groan a bit as we think about what it would entail.

mp5 posted:

Way to take a stand I guess but unless I'm missing something isn't it just a place people can go to log bad ratings on bad elusive targets? Like the one currently active?

Kotti's going to try to mess with the numbers or reporting to present a false consensus that what he wants in the game is what everyone else wants in the game. He's been doing this sort of thing for years- heck, he tried to do the same thing with google docs a couple months ago.

Like, I agree with the idea of a rating system for contracts- it's absolutely needed. I just don't trust this guy to do it or use it honestly.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 20, 2017

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i like kotti he does funny poo poo like killing elusive targets with easter eggs (wicker man)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I have no particular opinion on Kotti, so instead here's a run of The Showstopper where I try to make sure Dalia and Viktor have just a swell day where someone is making sure everything turns out right.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Discendo Vox posted:

Seriously, the problem with designing actually interesting escalations textually is :words:

The problem is that there's no reason whatsoever to 'textually design escalations'. It's not like someone from IOI is going to read this thread and offer you a job as idea guy.

Anyway, something I was wondering. Is there any difference between the revolvers you can pick? I mean, besides a silencer, that's obvious. But what's the difference between the silverballer and those other guns? I always pick the silverballer because ~nostalgia~.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You later unlock a neat pistol that you can sneak through frisk stations, but it only has like five bullets.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The only ones I really know off the top of my head are that the Silverballer has that aim assist thing, the Krugermeyer is suuuuuuuuuper quiet and then there's that one pistol that can get through frisks but has poo poo for ammo and accuracy. Krugermeyer also has poor accuracy, I think, but those cons shouldn't really matter unless you're attempting some crazy pinpoint shots from a good distance away.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

shut up blegum posted:

The problem is that there's no reason whatsoever to 'textually design escalations'. It's not like someone from IOI is going to read this thread and offer you a job as idea guy.

Anyway, something I was wondering. Is there any difference between the revolvers you can pick? I mean, besides a silencer, that's obvious. But what's the difference between the silverballer and those other guns? I always pick the silverballer because ~nostalgia~.

The gold 2-2 krugmeir one you can unlock is the most silent of the guns, people won't notice you shooting it over their shoulder, but is a lot weaker at range and doesn't have the hold shift for extra fine aim thing

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Professional Hokkaido is kicking my rear end. The hotel / sauna / restaurant half is surmountable but the hospital section is terribly tricky, particularly the morgue. Tons of cameras, twice as many guards as regular Hokkaido. I'm guessing that once I unlock ICA pickups it'll be a bit more manageable but right now I'm having trouble completing the map even once.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Blasmeister posted:

The gold 2-2 krugmeir one you can unlock is the most silent of the guns, people won't notice you shooting it over their shoulder, but is a lot weaker at range and doesn't have the hold shift for extra fine aim thing

I'm guessing the extra fine aim thing is pc only? Or what button would it be on ps4?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

People Are Blind (But They Ain't Deaf) [PC-Landslide]: 1-04-7813892-02
Axe two Security Guards in your Suit. Built-in difficulty selection based on whether you plan to do this Suit Only, and there are time saving tiers even within that. Can be completed SOSA with the default loadout, but masters of distraction shenanigans or object launching should be able to have a field day with this.

shut up blegum posted:

I'm guessing the extra fine aim thing is pc only? Or what button would it be on ps4?
It's not PC-only but I'm not sure of the command. Go into the inventory or options screen and look for "Steady Aim." A number of guns have it (the Silverballer, the semi-auto assault rifle, and a few others). When you hold down whatever the button is your crosshair will collapse to a point allowing for accurate shots, basically as accurate as anything with a scope but with no scope sway. Damage doesn't change though so while you can Silverballer snipe people from across the map the bullet damage tends to drop so much that headshot kills are no longer possible with one shot.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Jay Rust posted:

Professional Hokkaido is kicking my rear end. The hotel / sauna / restaurant half is surmountable but the hospital section is terribly tricky, particularly the morgue. Tons of cameras, twice as many guards as regular Hokkaido. I'm guessing that once I unlock ICA pickups it'll be a bit more manageable but right now I'm having trouble completing the map even once.

Easiest ways I found to escalate to a hospital disguise were getting the pilot disguise and then using him to lure the head surgeon or coin the director into the central bathroom. Both spots have added one new patrolling guard, but it's pretty easy to take him out and shove him in a closet ahead of time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Following up on that, a save after you have the director costume will serve you well for a very large portion of the Hokkaido pro challenges.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 20, 2017

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Decided after a self-enforced month break to come in and run the ET with only the vague hints about lockpicks and explosions from this thread to guide me, and I grabbed my 3rd SA rating in a row. Nothing quite like that rush. Started hacker, unlocked the safe, stashed the bedroom elite and took his uniform then spent longer looking for a fire extinguisher than anything else. finally found it when i went to deal with the recording equipment. ended up dropping extinguisher and breaching charge just outside the house's front door once Graves had cleared off and just about managed to time the explosion to get only the target, though the 'WATCH OUT 47 HE'S RUNNING FOR IT' speech made me anxious for a moment. One quick loop around the house to pick up the ledger and a near miss of being spotted in the basement later and I'm done

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

I appreciate that this video exists. Paris is probably the best level for it too, as even the "nice" stuff on Sapienza involves giving someone food poisoning.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nakar, can you help the Class produce a successful follow-up album (before you kill their lead vocalist)?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there a place to find good, unique, interesting runs of missions? I want to see how other people did World of Tomorrow, but all youtube shows me is SA/No Suit/360 No scope tedium.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

horse mans posted:

Is there a place to find good, unique, interesting runs of missions? I want to see how other people did World of Tomorrow, but all youtube shows me is SA/No Suit/360 No scope tedium.
If you're after more meandering, make it up as you go style runs, I can offer this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElepLTF6kd8
But I've no idea where to find that sort of thing on the regular, no.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Why do you find Suit Only tedious, anyway? Or is it strictly the wacky game breaking physics speedrun stuff?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I started playing escalation contracts, is there any reason to try and get SA in them? Does that unlock anything special?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

shut up blegum posted:

I started playing escalation contracts, is there any reason to try and get SA in them? Does that unlock anything special?
No reason at all other than personal pride/masochism/leaderboard score. There are too many escalations out there to not just have some fun and play them fast & loose, imo. Most of them are plenty challenging anyway, and you get to make the widest use of your full kit.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Nakar posted:

Why do you find Suit Only tedious, anyway? Or is it strictly the wacky game breaking physics speedrun stuff?

I'm less interested in watching a perfectly clean, well-rehearsed professional takedown than crazy, arbitrary attempts that show off the player's ability to improvise and react to situations gone wrong.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Some escalations are fun to SA but quite a few of them are unnecessarily finnicky bullcrap that's not fun to ghost. Just try and do the SA and when it inevitably fails just roll with the punches and improvise.

Just gently caress mines and tripwire lasers. gently caress em six ways to sunday.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

horse mans posted:

I'm less interested in watching a perfectly clean, well-rehearsed professional takedown than crazy, arbitrary attempts that show off the player's ability to improvise and react to situations gone wrong.

For the older games there's How Not To Play Hitman, where nearly every level descends into a chaotic bloodbath set to They Might Be Giants or similar music.

I haven't really seen anything similar for the newest game. Let's Fuckin' Play Hitman shows off some fun routes but in a more controlled way.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

horse mans posted:

I would suggest any number of Giantbomb's hitman videos, which are generally blind runs of the levels on release, and their hitmas video which is a competitive replay of the Showstopper with some additional restrictions. Some of these videos will be premium content (mostly Elusive targets), but there's a lot there and I can say with certainty there is nothing professional about any of it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/hitman/3030-45150/videos/

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The sole reward for even doing Escalations is the TAC-SMG Covert from completing 10 of them. That just means any 10 Escalations through lv5, no particular rating necessary. SA is strictly for dick-measuring and frankly almost nobody gives a poo poo about Escalation speedruns anyhow.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
My rule is always try to SA my escalation and contracts runs (because 47 is a professional), but never reload or restart if when things go wrong, because that's the best part of Hitting Mans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah, it's just that at least with regular missions and ETs there's Challenges for SA and rewards for doing it, so someone could be motivated to get SA for reasons other than wanting to be on the leaderboards or something. The only Challenges for Escalations are for beating lv5, you could literally murder the whole level (provided you're not prohibited from doing so), get a negative nine million points, and still get every reward possible from them.

I did SA for personal pride on all but two Escalations which I just said gently caress this to.