Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

Thanks bud. Sorry for all the weird questions but what do you guys think about Shai? I read she's more a support class with all her buffs. So I guess I shouldn't play her as a beginner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chalkece posted:

Thanks bud. Sorry for all the weird questions but what do you guys think about Shai? I read she's more a support class with all her buffs. So I guess I shouldn't play her as a beginner?

Nope. Maybe have her as your dedicated crafter or gatherer, though.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
she gets more passive weight/level than the other classes and a couple of her lifeskills start at pro1. otherwise, she's not worth playing until you're incredibly geared, then she's the best grinder in a couple hard spots, because why not

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I might be reading the patch notes wrong, and also my brain might be addled from all the notes about different points and scores that I don't understand yet.

Does the new class level faster during the event, or does everyone get an exp bonus? I know everyone gets the additional exp bonus from the black spirit or whoever, but if the newest class has an additional bonus during the month, I should level that first to take advantage. Otherwise I'll have to pick at random I guess :P

IIRC this game has a robust character creator, so I look forward to making gross monstrosities and freaking people out. Although the game doesn't sound very social (a problem most modern MMOs share anyway) but hopefully I can interrupt everyone's Sexy Anime Gatherings with horrifying abominations cursed by god.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Everyone has an exp boost right now. Every server has one actually, while usually it's only olvia or a main server on the weekend. You can see what boosts you have by waving your cursor around the top of the screen

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So the Guardian just got released, did she?

Svensken
May 29, 2010
The current leveling event is for the Mystic and the Striker, who just got their Successions.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Guardian as well. Her succession was released last week. You have until the 18th to get any/all of the three characters to level 60 with rewards at each level starting at 56.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

They are also handing out 50+ 530% xp/skill scrolls in the loyalty shop for 1 loyalty a piece. Just now saw it.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Jimlit posted:

They are also handing out 50+ 530% xp/skill scrolls in the loyalty shop for 1 loyalty a piece. Just now saw it.
That was on offer from last May onwards.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I got my punching lady to level 50, largely just following the leveling guide I found online. It looks like in the coming levels, AP is going to matter a whole lot and mine is pretty abysmal. What's the best way to raise that up? It looks like that question gets asked a lot online but the responses aren't very helpful. My weapon is upgraded to +7 so that helped a bit, but people have emphasized getting my subweapon, and I don't even know where to find one :shobon: I did the Black Spirit Quests to upgrade my armor but it sounds like I should be handed sicknasty armor for free, and that hasn't cropped up yet.... although those might be rewards from the main story.

I don't know if its because I elected to grind exp rather than continue the main storyline, or if the game just doesn't hold your hand very much, but it feels like there are a lot of systems in this game, that require outside research to really grasp. I keep clicking Node Management on each node guy, I learned to fish (and even got some perfect fish bars and an ORANGE fish $$$) some quest got me a pickaxe, but I'm still pretty lost. I should probably join a guild and harass them about how2play until I get kicked.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
https://grumpygreen.cricket/bdo-gear-progression-guide/

That seems to have a pretty good gearing guide. You are probably missing a bunch of stuff from not running the main questline.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

drat, I was trying to bumrush to get the limited-time rewards for hitting the high-50's milestones. Hopefully I can one-hit my way through everything in the main quest quickly.... which is sad because I like to take my time with story stuff.

This also makes it less likely I can level a second class quickly enough (I think only Guardian and Punch Man get these particular benefits, right?). But hey, once the event ends, I can take my time and actually learn my combos :haw:

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Iirc, the rewards aren't amazing for the high 50s milestones. You'll get better stuff/more money from the main quests. That being said, I'm pretty sure you should be getting a fair bit of cash from the anniversary events so you could just Marketplace buy your way past some of the earlier gearing milestones.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Yeah I'm assuming that other people have billions in cash but I'm fairly flush with silver (and some gold bars shoved into storage) right now. I have no idea whether prices are good or bad for a given piece of equipment, but I'll try to follow that gear guide and see what I can get.

Thanks for the help!

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
The nice part is the marketplace has a handy historical record of prices in chart form. Pretty easy to see if you're paying high or low.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Oh is that what that is? I assumed those were all the currently listed item prices, with some prices having a current count of the # of the product listed at that price. I figured it just showed the number once it crossed a certain threshold. Good to know!

I've sold some ingredients and poo poo on the marketplace, just to free up room. I have no idea how people can tradeskill AND do anything else, although maybe they just make a tradeskill alt...?

I have a (free) horse, a wagon, and a raft, but I find the horse pretty inconvenient - I guess it's good for going from safe zone to safe zone, but the horse being in danger when I dismount near my kill spots is no good. Especially since they seem to prioritize the horse and not the psychotic kung-fu woman butchering their friends en masse. The wagon is nice for some sorely needed space, same with the storages at each town. I also have a teeny tiny room in the first real town, because I needed it in order to use.... something. Storage, maybe?

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
There's the various list prices and listing counts on the right side, but the left has a graph with historical sale prices.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
There are generally safe spots to park a horse around. You figure out once you stay in an area long enough.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Yeah the horse being persistent in the game world is such a pain in the rear end.

Like its cool from a realism point of view but this is still a GAME, not every chore from real life needs to be mirrored in the game.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Regarding gear, this is probably the best guide I've ever found: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...utm_name=iossmf

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

It's definitely annoying, although it's also pretty funny that I'm throwing fists, elbows and kicks through the skulls of every fish man in the lake and they're still going "Hey there's a HORSE well gently caress THAT HORSE!!" as it just chills on the side of the road.

Your mom and dad completely ignore your plight as a buxom maniac delivers a fatal People's Elbow because they spotted a horse, foulest of all God's mistakes

Edit: Thanks for the guide above ^ ! Sounds like I really should do the main quest now. Oh well, I actually like quests, I just wanted to take advantage of all the anniversary event stuff :)

dromal phrenia fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 16, 2020

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
There's free fixed (non-enhanceable) boss gear coming for free once you get to 56-60, so you can probably stick with quest gear until then.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Started playing Sorceress, and while I was expecting all the spooky black magic, I was not expecting it to be delivered via kung fu. You're basically a grungy, gothy magical street brawler, and it's rad.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Darth Walrus posted:

Started playing Sorceress, and while I was expecting all the spooky black magic, I was not expecting it to be delivered via kung fu. You're basically a grungy, gothy magical street brawler, and it's rad.

And you get a scythe

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
The tri boss gear anniversary event lasted 98 days on other regions, so chances are you're not going to have to rush to 60 this week to complete it.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah the horse being persistent in the game world is such a pain in the rear end.

Like its cool from a realism point of view but this is still a GAME, not every chore from real life needs to be mirrored in the game.

Its part of the game mechanics though. It means you can't just press a button and get the hell out of Dodge, so it encourages you to stay in an area and defend yourself which is a good thing in a pvp game. I think it also makes the game feel a bit more alive and the places you go have more meaning then just being pretty scenery as you cruse on by.

In contrast, games like WoW have almost no wpvp because of mounts and especially flying ones. BDO would be completely like that without something to ground people a bit.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

This is probably a goofy question, but is there a way to aggro mobs in the area that are too low (or maybe too docile?) to aggro on their own? For a recent example for me, sitting in Everquest will make even the most noobish mobs decide to bumrush me. Or its easy to tag mobs with an arrow or a spell to get them collected.

I ask because I'm a mystic and running around punching things individually isnt as fun or fast as getting everything to bumrush me so I can hit them with AoE skills. Obviously this isnt a factor when grinding exp, but I've been focusing on catching up on the MSQs, and it'll be good to know in the future when I need to kill a bunch of animals for leather or meat or fluid, and for any kind of side quests where I need to murder a lot of lower level mobs. Its doable but I don't love it :cheeky:

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Take a horse and gallop through them (maybe you need a low-level horse? not sure)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

This is probably a goofy question, but is there a way to aggro mobs in the area that are too low (or maybe too docile?) to aggro on their own? For a recent example for me, sitting in Everquest will make even the most noobish mobs decide to bumrush me. Or its easy to tag mobs with an arrow or a spell to get them collected.

I ask because I'm a mystic and running around punching things individually isnt as fun or fast as getting everything to bumrush me so I can hit them with AoE skills. Obviously this isnt a factor when grinding exp, but I've been focusing on catching up on the MSQs, and it'll be good to know in the future when I need to kill a bunch of animals for leather or meat or fluid, and for any kind of side quests where I need to murder a lot of lower level mobs. Its doable but I don't love it :cheeky:

Your ground-punch (Rage Hammer?) has decent range for pulling. It's L1 plus L2 on the PS4.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Yeah, you basically have to use a horse to bait the mobs. However, I'm not sure how well that works all the time, since I know the sub level 20 mobs don't gently caress with my horse. If you want, you can put a barding on your horse, learn the charge skill, and run over low level mobs, but that's kind of inefficient too. That's definitely a small drawback of playing a melee class.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

stump collector posted:

Yeah, you basically have to use a horse to bait the mobs. However, I'm not sure how well that works all the time, since I know the sub level 20 mobs don't gently caress with my horse. If you want, you can put a barding on your horse, learn the charge skill, and run over low level mobs, but that's kind of inefficient too. That's definitely a small drawback of playing a melee class.

Unless you're a Lahn, of course. Huge mobility plus huge AOE is quite something.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Hmm ultimately I don't know if I'll actually use galloping regularly since that sounds inconvenient in a slightly different way than meleeing everything, but on the other hand it does sound really funny to just trample things to death so I can skin them or suck out their blood or whatever the hell (I dont really know anything about tradeskills yet). So thanks for that, and in general for the horse advice, you'd think I would have guessed that based on my earlier experience of everything gunning for my horse as soon as it spawns. I guess I should learn how you train a horse!

Is it just me or do the classes seem weighted in favor of the females? Lahn seems cool, Sorc seems cool, Archer seems cool... I usually play as men in games but so far they just seem worse. I guess the Samurai class seems decent (although Lahn still seems to do the same things, better) and in theory the Berserker is EXACTLY what I want in a MMO, but he apparently is not very good :(

It's also possible I'm largely basing this on the MMO community which, by and large, always sides with SEXY LADY CHARACTER over anything else.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

No, this is a PVE grind with the rare possibility of gear based pvp.

Im fine with not being able to just click a button and instantly be on a horse but having the horse be persistent in the game world is just realistic, not good gameplay.

J
Jun 10, 2001

dromal phrenia posted:

Use crouching wolf, it should aggro stuff in a pretty wide radius around you.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
IIRC there are also pets that aggro mobs as well.

The best low level mob murderers (defined as <45) are probably ranger LMB on a horse and sorc Down+RMB on a horse.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 20, 2020

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It's a KMMO so sexy anime waifu classes are good but I think at least warrior and ninja are pretty good (based on my dumb newbie impressions)

Really you should play what you like though since this game is a gigantic grind so if you don't enjoy what you play you probably won't play long.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I'd say at high levels of gear the men and women perform equally as good, just play whatever you like and move on if you dont

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Musa is better than Maehwa. That giant fuckoff guandao has a much more useful moveset than the kris spear (which is actually a real weapon, although gently caress knows where Malaysian weapons fit into that class's theme).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Red... Orc. Sworn enemy of me. MY FOE!