Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I probably should have asked this from the start, but do we have a guild? Should I just join one of those random guilds that advertise, as long as they have the guild buffs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

dromal phrenia posted:

I probably should have asked this from the start, but do we have a guild? Should I just join one of those random guilds that advertise, as long as they have the guild buffs?

hello fellow mmo addict

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

please knock Mom! posted:

hello fellow mmo addict

Ayoooo do you play this game too? I'm not really playing it as an MMO right now... just sort of punching and crafting and getting mad at inventory limits on my own time :shobon:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

dromal phrenia posted:

Ayoooo do you play this game too? I'm not really playing it as an MMO right now... just sort of punching and crafting and getting mad at inventory limits on my own time :shobon:

no it's too pay 2 win for me, I wanna get back into p99 though

I used to play but bailed at like level 30

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm at level 50 with multiple classes and I haven't paid any more than the game purchase price. You don't even want to be too overgeared in this game, so enemies last a couple of hits before you obliterate them and you can experiment with your big flashy combos.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I'm level 52 but leveling has slowed as i gently caress around on things that don't benefit me in any way :xd:

I don't feel any allure for p99 right now, maybe that will change but I sorta doubt it.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
The game is fun and there is a guild. Doesn't seem like we do too much but im fairly new. its a fun game if you don't mind the grind. A lot of the game is pay for convenience and that is sort of off putting but you can get around it fairly easily now they made it easier to get contribution points. It's a fun enough time killer with a good many options to keep you busy. It's no breakthrough in the MMO gaming world but it does ok.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Update: I知 level 56 now and decided to do awakening quests and they were easy. I still have no idea what I知 doing 90% of the time. I brewed a million beers and now I知 decent at cooking. I tried to fight a rift boss but I got owned and was annoyed that his HP went down so slowly.

Leveling 56+ seems much slower but the combat is still fun and the 9million things to do are cool. My biggest complaint is that I need about 2000x the inventory space.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

dromal phrenia posted:

Update: I知 level 56 now and decided to do awakening quests and they were easy. I still have no idea what I知 doing 90% of the time. I brewed a million beers and now I知 decent at cooking. I tried to fight a rift boss but I got owned and was annoyed that his HP went down so slowly.

Leveling 56+ seems much slower but the combat is still fun and the 9million things to do are cool. My biggest complaint is that I need about 2000x the inventory space.

Focus on getting to 59-60 the boss gear from the black spirit quests will trivialize 90% of the dark rift bosses.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Rift bosses also spawn at level 5, and decrease by 1 level per day if you don't kill them. They get weaker but the reward stays the same, so if they are a slog try waiting a couple days.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

plus, at least for my witch, each level after awakening gave me significant power in terms of skills. at 58 my abilities are WAY better than they were at 56.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How do you get more than six characters on the PS4? Is such a thing possible? Do you lose out on any shared resources if you do so?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Darth Walrus posted:

How do you get more than six characters on the PS4? Is such a thing possible? Do you lose out on any shared resources if you do so?

You can buy extra character slots on the Pearl Shop. Also sometimes when they release new classes they'll include a free new character slot as a gift/log-in bonus.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
PC version lets you buy slots for loyalties (the currency you get as a login bonus) as well. Don't recall the cost, maybe around a month of logins?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Never mind, ignore this.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
Mystic is a fun and good class. That's all.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Maybe everyone here already knows this and doesn't care but there is pretty good rental/temporary armor and weapons available for free in every large city during the oasis event. It could be a really big upgrade for no cost if you're just getting started.

Here is the guide:

https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/3748

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea about it, so thanks.

Also, I got this game when it was free on steam some weeks ago, and finally got around to trying it last week. I knew nothing going in except that it has action combat, and I was looking at playing sorc or witch, but then I was clicking on all the classes when making my char and saw shai plays music, and welp i now have a lv56 shai with a purple boomerang, some instruments, and a hilariously fast donkey. Except oops, the custom music tunes i got when i googled shai music don't exist in the EU version :rip:

Anyway, here's my newbie question: There's a bunch of portals on the map now where bosses spawn, but so far every time except once, my screen goes dark and flashy and the spirit companion keeps telling me to run away when I attack. Is there any way to turn that off? The constant flashing every time I attack is incredibly annoying.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Truga posted:

I had no idea about it, so thanks.

Also, I got this game when it was free on steam some weeks ago, and finally got around to trying it last week. I knew nothing going in except that it has action combat, and I was looking at playing sorc or witch, but then I was clicking on all the classes when making my char and saw shai plays music, and welp i now have a lv56 shai with a purple boomerang, some instruments, and a hilariously fast donkey. Except oops, the custom music tunes i got when i googled shai music don't exist in the EU version :rip:

Anyway, here's my newbie question: There's a bunch of portals on the map now where bosses spawn, but so far every time except once, my screen goes dark and flashy and the spirit companion keeps telling me to run away when I attack. Is there any way to turn that off? The constant flashing every time I attack is incredibly annoying.

Hit esc -> settings -> general -> general settings -> alerts, there is an option at the very bottom called "monsters." Try turning that off and see if it helps, I'm pretty sure that's what controls the black spirit's warning when high level stuff is nearby.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Welp I have no idea how I missed that, I remember looking at alerts before, thanks. I just have to wait for more portals to spawn now before I can test it :v:

e: can confirm this works

Truga fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 15, 2020

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

J posted:

Hit esc -> settings -> general -> general settings -> alerts, there is an option at the very bottom called "monsters." Try turning that off and see if it helps, I'm pretty sure that's what controls the black spirit's warning when high level stuff is nearby.

holy poo poo thank you. The hardest part of fighting these enemies is the dramatic red blinking from these alerts

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
New event means +100% combat xp bonus and others until mid may

https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/3833

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I picked the game up because I know some people who play it and there's a promotion going on where if you hit level 50 on a free trial account they just give you the game for free.
So far I've filled all the lodging spots in Velia with potato pickers and chopped a lot of badguys in half with my big glowy purple Kriegsmesser, so I guess things are going well?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
are you playing the season thing btw? season is great becaue you get a 3 billion worth ring for just doing 40 really simple daily quests.

vvv: great i have nothing else to add then

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 23, 2020

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Truga posted:

are you playing the season thing btw? season is great becaue you get a 3 billion worth ring for just doing 40 really simple daily quests.

Yup! I am on a season character and all.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Is it too late to start the season quest line?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it ends on sept 2, and you need 40 days to get the biggest reward, so you have exactly 1 day of slack left.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I spoke to the NPC and there were two quests (that seemed to complete immediately) then all these "enhancement" quests. Do I just check back tomorrow for an actual quest? Here's what I see now.

https://i.imgur.com/X4AqpYt.png

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Truga posted:

it ends on sept 2, and you need 40 days to get the biggest reward, so you have exactly 1 day of slack left.

You just have to start the quests before the season ends, then supposedly you are still able to complete one per day until you get the ring, however long that takes you. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if they hosed up their translation on this.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003
With it getting closer to the cutoff deadline for 40 days I'd like to throw in a reminder: the first time the quest didn't complete automatically for me was like day 20 and I had to finish it the next day. Please check each day to make sure you only have any remaining enhancement quests left so you don't lose a day like I did.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Newbie questions about the transportation system:
It looks like you can order stuff to be moved around remotely from any storage NPC, but you can't actually pay for it remotely. Am I missing something, or if I wanted to ship potatoes from Velia to Calpheon would I really have to ride all the way up to Velia first and deposit a stack of cash to pay for future trips?

J
Jun 10, 2001

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Newbie questions about the transportation system:
It looks like you can order stuff to be moved around remotely from any storage NPC, but you can't actually pay for it remotely. Am I missing something, or if I wanted to ship potatoes from Velia to Calpheon would I really have to ride all the way up to Velia first and deposit a stack of cash to pay for future trips?

What you'll ultimately end up doing is leaving a couple million silver in each town to cover those fees for a while. When they run out and it is time to reload, easiest way is to transport an alt character to that town to take care of it. On the character select screen click the character you're currently on, make sure you are currently in a town, in the top right there should be a "transport" button. Then it will pop up a menu asking what character you want to switch to, and what town you want to send the current logged-in character to. Do that, and then 60 minutes later that character will teleport to the target town. If you log back in on the transporting character it will reset the 60 minute timer and you'll have to repeat that menu process.

If you don't have alt characters, make some! They are incredibly handy in this game. Characters not currently logged in gain 1 energy per hour, you can talk to Alustin and turn that energy into energy potions at a bare minmum. You can also park your alts around various towns to take care of miscellaneous things like messing with your storages and whatnot.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
So I've made it to level 58 but I'm at the point in the main quest in Kamasylvia where I have to kill the Manshaum chief. I'm only at 180 AP and he just totally wrecks my poo poo. Wasn't really expecting a wall this big yet. At this point I'm not sure what the best thing to focus on would be. I've gotten most of my Tuvala gear up to Tri, and my main weapon is Tet. I'm out of Cron stones though so trying to enhance my subweapon to Tet is pretty scary because I'm worried it's going to just drop down to Duo and I won't have the stones to get it back up. Should I just work on grinding levels? I think I get some kind of seasonal gear if I get to 61.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
If you have a bunch of extra contribution you can run to Valencia city and talk to king nesser for nearly Tet boss gear.

Post your the rest of your gear and or come into the discord for more help. That boss should be kind of easy once you're level 60, but it depends on class a bit too. I think having enough dp would allow you to beat any main quest content up until the stars end line

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

stump collector posted:

If you have a bunch of extra contribution you can run to Valencia city and talk to king nesser for nearly Tet boss gear.

Post your the rest of your gear and or come into the discord for more help. That boss should be kind of easy once you're level 60, but it depends on class a bit too. I think having enough dp would allow you to beat any main quest content up until the stars end line

Oh okay I'll check that out for sure then. I'd imagine it's better than what I have. I'm an archer in pretty much all Tuvala except for accessories, AP is 180 and DP is 230. I think my awakening AP is around 130ish maybe, I'll have to look when I get home. I was able to survive against him for a minute or two but the damage finally overcame the cooldown on my healing potion. Didn't seem like I was doing much to him. Appreciate the advice!

stump collector
May 28, 2007
If you can get your dp up around 270 you should be fine. For archer you should prioritize your awakening weapon to do big damage. With some hp recovery and monster damage on skill add ons you should have no problems killing the chief.

Another big thing impacting your damage output is not being level 60. Skill ratios are much higher, and cooldowns are lower, so you will end up doing much more damage as a result.

All that said id try to use some of the questing armors (mediah gives a helmet, Valencia gives gloves, calpheon gives roaring magical armor, etc) and nesser gear if you can. The gear he has for rent is slightly worse than pen tuvala...so maybe rent an awakening weapon until you get a big upgrade on your current one

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

stump collector posted:

If you can get your dp up around 270 you should be fine. For archer you should prioritize your awakening weapon to do big damage. With some hp recovery and monster damage on skill add ons you should have no problems killing the chief.

Another big thing impacting your damage output is not being level 60. Skill ratios are much higher, and cooldowns are lower, so you will end up doing much more damage as a result.

All that said id try to use some of the questing armors (mediah gives a helmet, Valencia gives gloves, calpheon gives roaring magical armor, etc) and nesser gear if you can. The gear he has for rent is slightly worse than pen tuvala...so maybe rent an awakening weapon until you get a big upgrade on your current one

Awesome, I'll definitely give all of this a shot. 270 AP seems really tough to get to, but I've just been coasting up to this point so I guess I was due for some grinding. Thanks so much for the help

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Nah I meant defense, 270ap is indeed tough. You'll get to 61 and 1100ish skillpoints relatively quickly with the right buffs/quests/etc and you'll start doing a lot more damage with your current gear.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I played this i think maybe 2 years ago, i was drunk as poo poo, but I absolutely loved the combat. I looked like Mitsurugi in Soul Blade.

Now that my computer can run this well, thinking of getting back on. Do we have a guild?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

I played this i think maybe 2 years ago, i was drunk as poo poo, but I absolutely loved the combat. I looked like Mitsurugi in Soul Blade.

Now that my computer can run this well, thinking of getting back on. Do we have a guild?

Here's a link to the discord: https://discord.gg/tXJYW48

Just shout around in there and someone will invite you. Also that first post is hilariously out of date and no one should follow the advice in it.