Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
the GM's copypasta was clarified

lewtt fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
fudging around in gw2 before classes start. can't really justify a reason to head back to bdo

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

TVDinna posted:

Is there no one that can pass GoonTang roles on? Trucidation kicked everyone out.
The guild has pretty good guild skills. Don't even care if no one else logs on :|

i tossed lead to buffdaddy/"aziz_light" a while ago, not sure if I'm even in the guild anymore

i'll dl, log on, and see what I can do

noncommittal grunt

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
looks like daum has the policy of ignoring all guild leadership issues
https://blackdesert.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/209220469-Guild-Leadership-Changes

I PM'd BuffDaddy a few days ago with no response yet, but it is the holidays

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
updated various poo poo in the OP, PM me if you want anything else added

maybe i'll fix up picture headers when my shoulder is less broken

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
updated OP with various tidbits and nonsensical picture headers. hopped back in the game a day or so ago since I saw it explode up on the steam charts. Don't know poo poo about hunting so someone write me something I can shove in the op.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
you may be right, all i noticed was the text was different than what I recall when I played before, and it was only assumed it made conversations easier back then

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
if you're gonna pve, you'll probably want aoe clear speed. You can pull up to 8 mobs at a time; tamer can pull 16 with dog. awakened weapons either differentiate a class further (wizard/witch), and/or compensate for a class weakness (ranger, CC)
classes can generally be summed up as a mixture of mobility or durability, and cc, dps, range, or buffs/debuffs

wizard: pure aoe damage, BIG hits, squish, low mobility; good on horse
witch: aoe damage and support, BIG hits, squishy, low mobility; good on horse

sorceress: mobility, midrange/melee hybrid, big hits, squishy.
Dark Knight: aoe midrange/melee hybrid, big hits.

ranger: extreme range, mobility, squishy, low cc. hypercarry; you need gear. good on horse

tamer: mobile melee, versatility (can do a bit of everything; CC, single target, aoe), squishy, reliant on cool downs

musa: mobile aoe melee, versatility
maehwa: mobile single target melee (compared to musa), versatility

ninja: single target melee, CC, squishy
kunoichi: melee aoe, CC, squishy

warrior: durability, pressure
valkyrie: even more durability, support

berserker: durability, CC
striker: pressure, CC

feel free to correct me if someone has more experience with the classes; I only play ranger, and have only observed other classes for pvp purposes

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
shotgun is still our best skill, so not really

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Drythe posted:

How long until you follow step and sperg about goons not having balls or doing gqs

goontang is the best its ever been with just me in the guild now

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

TVDinna posted:

Wtf, you got Goontang back somehow?

no, but i'm enjoying the game much more without anything to manage

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Inzombiac posted:

Jesus. This game is so obtuse most of them time.

It's just incredibly complicated and that can be frustrating

in hindsight most of their decisions make sense from a gameplay or business perspective but that doesn't mean it's intuitive

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
a well played ranger post 56 is 75% ranged 25% melee in PvE, and 50% ranged 50% melee in PvP. You use melee for cc/burst (~20s timers) and bow for everything else. And half our sword abilities worth using are mid-range column-style attacks that I wouldn't classify as melee. The class gets melee post 56 yeah, but by no means does it become a melee class. The video in the OP is pretty much how the class plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w19y1rWUtk

In PvE I use my melee bursts (basically all your sword abilities except cold blade) on a pack or two, then use wotw->shotgun for all mobs not in tight density to eachother until all my sword timers are back up. If I have no mana, I blasting gust cancel (bow) when necessary to gap close, pull ranged mobs, and regen mana. You don't need to spam mana pots; shoving two extraction gems on your mainhand will give you nearly 100% uptime on shotgun spam which is still very formidable dps in PvE and offer you lots of recovery on your multi-hit (all of them) sword abilities. Durability cost is another matter; shotgun spamming results in my weapons breaking in ~60 minutes of grinding simply because it hits a target (and checks for durability loss) 12 + 5 = 17 times per skill cast (which is why its called shotgun)

In PvP I use bow to maintain gaps (get used to middle mouse camera control), and use the rangers insane mobility (sword and bow) to get them to whiff their timers, then punish with sword grab and burst damage. Then I swap back to bow again, and either finish them off or kite until all my timers are back up (~20s). Noone should ever be able to get away from you or catch up so long as you have mana pots.

The class has tremendous versatility but its basically as much a twitch shooter as an MMO can get. If you aren't spinning your mouse like crazy to take advantage of your crazy forward/backward mobility, using middle mouse (default bind) to change your attack angle during the majority of your qcancels (Blasting Gust) and fcancels (Ultimate Evasive Shot), or ignoring the potential of wotw/shotgun (on downed targets especially) you'll probably resort to the sword too much and your effectiveness will suffer.

If you don't want a fast-paced class that requires swaps between short and long range the split second the situation calls for it, ranger wont be your cup of tea. Ranger is a high skill cap glass cannon midrange assassin that is incredibly rewarding and effective if you can handle the speed. Your survival is tied to your ability to stay mobile and opportunistic. I can't think of any other class in a action rpg or mmo that can match the pace of ranger which is why i love mine so much

Pick witch/wizard if you want to sit in the back tapping artillery buttons every few seconds. It's slow paced, low effort, boring (to me), and low skill cap, but the two classes are drat effective at their gimmick. And you don't have to be good at video games to play them, which is nothing to be ashamed of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
updated the OP quite a bit over the past 3 week summer break but it needs a new title, so throw 'em at me boys

Black Dessert: The Fisherman's Fury