Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So what's your goal in this game? What are you building towards, on a short-term or a long-term basis? Are there raids or dungeons or cool boss fights? Is PVP the main name of the game?

Also, which class would you say is the most BDO? The one that best matches the general aesthetics of the game and the sorts of things you will be doing as a player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On careful inspection, the Lahn looks classy as poo poo and nicely unique, and I like how they engage with the open world. Anything I need to know about if I want to dive in with one of those first?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, what is the pre-ascension Lahn inspired by? I know people say 'Chinese martial arts', but I mean specifically. I've certainly never seen anything like that weapon before.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

I mean it's basically a chain whip except with an axe head on one end which is terribly impractical because how are you controlling edge alignment that?

The edge seems to matter less than the fact that it's a large lump of metal swinging at very high speed. It does make it slightly more aerodynamic, I guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ah, looks like the answer is 'Chinese ribbon dancing'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4VwerzhBAg

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How do alts work in this game, and how much of a helping hand can they get from your main? Would I be starting completely from scratch if I had a Lahn and cooked up, say, a Mystic?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Right, but what about nodes, skills, and so on?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I see. And I hear you can gain stuff while you're logged off/not using particular characters, like in EVE. How does that work?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chalkece posted:

Well "endgame pvp" is not what i want at all. But people told me that is the endgame content. No raids, no dungeons only pvp and making silver.

Might be better to think of it as an empire builder, where combat is only part of your toolkit. More EVE than WOW.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Huh, I did not expect that the character designer would let you make female characters so buff. My Mystic actually looks like she could punch an ogre to death. That's neat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Played Lahn, Mystic, and a bit of Dark Knight on PS4, and the last of the three seems strangely underpowered. I'm taking a lot more time to kill mobs with basic attacks, which was not what I was expecting from a big sword class. Is there some key mechanic I'm missing?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

stump collector posted:

I'm a dk on PC. Are you awakened yet? What level are you? Do PS4 players have access to successions?

If you are ~50ish you need to be using wheel of Fortune, slanted balance, enforcement, and lunacy of vedir as much as up can. If you're awakened, spirit legacy is your bread and butter for mob kills because it ramps your monster damage with add ons assigned.

If you're succession, I can help you out more, but essentially you'll be maxing the same stuff I mentioned above. Join the discord in the op and I can answer any dk and most lifeskill questions.

Just level 18. It's just I'm a little surprised since the other two classes felt obviously much stronger out of the gate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do find it a little weird that my first long-ranged sniper attack starts with a sidestep.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I've been choosing my classes mainly based on fabulosity. I feel like impossibly beautiful people slaughtering dozens of enemies with as much style, glamour, and flair as possible is the true Black Desert experience, and so my first three have been the Lahn, Mystic, and Dark Knight. I'm pretty satisfied with all of them, but which ones am I missing out? This is a game that rewards having lots of alts, after all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ah? I was thinking Archer looked a little bland, and Sorceress had that glam-rock flair I was looking for. Do Archers and Maehwa do cool things with their relatively bread-and-butter weaponry, then?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chalkece posted:

Thanks bud. Sorry for all the weird questions but what do you guys think about Shai? I read she's more a support class with all her buffs. So I guess I shouldn't play her as a beginner?

Nope. Maybe have her as your dedicated crafter or gatherer, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So the Guardian just got released, did she?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Started playing Sorceress, and while I was expecting all the spooky black magic, I was not expecting it to be delivered via kung fu. You're basically a grungy, gothy magical street brawler, and it's rad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

This is probably a goofy question, but is there a way to aggro mobs in the area that are too low (or maybe too docile?) to aggro on their own? For a recent example for me, sitting in Everquest will make even the most noobish mobs decide to bumrush me. Or its easy to tag mobs with an arrow or a spell to get them collected.

I ask because I'm a mystic and running around punching things individually isnt as fun or fast as getting everything to bumrush me so I can hit them with AoE skills. Obviously this isnt a factor when grinding exp, but I've been focusing on catching up on the MSQs, and it'll be good to know in the future when I need to kill a bunch of animals for leather or meat or fluid, and for any kind of side quests where I need to murder a lot of lower level mobs. Its doable but I don't love it :cheeky:

Your ground-punch (Rage Hammer?) has decent range for pulling. It's L1 plus L2 on the PS4.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

stump collector posted:

Yeah, you basically have to use a horse to bait the mobs. However, I'm not sure how well that works all the time, since I know the sub level 20 mobs don't gently caress with my horse. If you want, you can put a barding on your horse, learn the charge skill, and run over low level mobs, but that's kind of inefficient too. That's definitely a small drawback of playing a melee class.

Unless you're a Lahn, of course. Huge mobility plus huge AOE is quite something.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Musa is better than Maehwa. That giant fuckoff guandao has a much more useful moveset than the kris spear (which is actually a real weapon, although gently caress knows where Malaysian weapons fit into that class's theme).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Red... Orc. Sworn enemy of me. MY FOE!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm at level 50 with multiple classes and I haven't paid any more than the game purchase price. You don't even want to be too overgeared in this game, so enemies last a couple of hits before you obliterate them and you can experiment with your big flashy combos.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How do you get more than six characters on the PS4? Is such a thing possible? Do you lose out on any shared resources if you do so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Never mind, ignore this.