Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Drinkfist posted:

Launch is less than a month away. The systems required to unfuck the game are massive (Even though one programmer could dig up the old patches and restore it.) The Business end of things would require the NA Devs demanding it and the Korean devs pulling their heads out of their asses. The guys making the money will easily say "Get hosed" and count their money for the next few months before proclaiming that the NA release just wasnt popular and then move on to dick up someone elses project for short profit gains with absolutely no plans for the future.

No way in hell the game will be going anywhere close to good. Lucky for me though as I only play bad games. Good games are a myth. Passed down by our ancestors who invented shuffleboard and lemon racing.

This is the way it is and Daum knows it. Idiots on the Black Desert forums are already hyping up their next published game (Bless Online, another generic Korean themepark). If I could poo poo out localizations and have people hype up the next thing before release, I'd do the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Drinkfist posted:

Motherfuckers never learn. Make a world for someone to live in and they will keep players around. Make a single player game and people are just gonna beat it and leave.

All the parts to make a world MMO have been made across many games. Some like this one have all the parts there but refuse to allow it.

I mean, it makes sense. This entire generation's first MMO was World of Warcraft. They hear stories about EVE, become a little intrigued, look up gameplay and call it boring.

Explaining a sandbox MMO is like trying to explain a color to a blind person, they have no frame of reference. Luckily, Minecraft and DayZ have been the most successful multiplayer titles to come out in years, but it takes years to develop these things so there is something in development that we know about or will know about soon that'll take these mechanics into consideration.

Great video on the matter
https://youtube.com/watch?v=nvK8fua6O64

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Discord is really cool, but I don't know if it'd fit your guys' needs when 80-100 people are connected to the VOIP

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just use the SA discord and tune out the shirt nonsense, I'd rather have an active community that's already entirely moderated/set up than deal with these permissions and struggle through getting people in for this specific game on this specific server.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I like discord because it works, it's free, it has chat, it has logging, it has serviceable VOIP and it's really convenient if you're playing multiple games on that Discord server since you have direct messaging with file sharing.

When the APIs start coming out, it'll be sweet for authentication and stuff. Not to mention you can run it in the Steam overlay if you really want to.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

How often do you need to share files that you can't use googledocs or something instead for? How many times have you paid for mumble use for goons? Why the gently caress do we need authentication for anything?

Like, I don't care what kimsemus' intentions are because they don't matter to me. What matters is I have a thing that already works perfectly fine and does everything I want it to do and suddenly almost everywhere I look it's "new voip! come join us!" poo poo that I don't care about.

If you want to use discord cool, use discord. I'm going to use mumble until I can't anymore, and then I'll think about switching. Put both of them in the OP and then shut the gently caress up about it.

Well with that mentality we'd still be using Ventrilo. Why not adopt a newer, more efficient and arguably better technology, especially when it's free and being widely adopted?

Eonwe posted:

can we just say gently caress it and go on to waiting for the next MMO already
I want my blader, unless the next game is Moonlight Blade, I'm not gonna get my fix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucqLW9pul3U

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

im not playing that, absolutely irredeemable.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

YOTC posted:

I have no idea what everyone's issue with Discord is. Like seriously. can someone explain the bullshit because i've been using it for like 2-3 months with 0 issues...

Also: 7CE7-4EBC-1827-427D-87A9

"I already have Mumble and it works so why do I need something else?"

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
play what you want unless you're truly only going to play this for 3 weeks

Since it's B2P I'd imagine I'll be going back to it every once in a while assuming the company doesn't poo poo the bed with their business model.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

Do we know how many servers there are going to be?

1 server, multiple channels to sustain the high numbers, right?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Unloading about 30 keys
http://imgur.com/a/9YGYv

Goons only

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

Per patch notes, 2 for NA and 2 for EU, 4 static and 6 dynamic channels on each. Our servers are Edan and Orwen.
loving hell. Why? They couldn't just scale up the number of channels?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

They could, but popular vote was against megaservers. I'm torn between the good and the bad here. Also I wonder if both servers still are in California.

The popular vote should be irrelevant considering people didn't understand the options available. They saw "one server" and thought "oh gently caress that, I'll be waiting 2 hours a day to play the game".

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I was willing to forgive mostly everything about how they turned this into a generic theme park, but now they're loving with the server structure and business model beyond repair.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
People still think they're gonna change the server structure between CBT2 and the release (like 10 days including the head start)
:lol:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
So, if I understand correctly, the main channel is for the territorial PVP poo poo
secondary channels are just mirrors of the main channel

but they're all separate servers, they just call them channels, right? It isn't taxing the main server's hardware? Is there any reason to do two servers when they can scale up/scale down at will?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm going Edan because it's likely first on the server list

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

No, they are channels on same server, i.e. world instances. That's not a novel concept.

How does their server handle so many players? They have 300,000 sales across NA/EU (mostly NA I'd imagine)

So divide 175,000-200,000/2 and you're looking at a metric poo poo ton of players at peak hours.

There has to be some trickery at play here. Especially with their combat model and NPC systems at play.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 18, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
At least BDO website/servers are holding their own. XIGNCODE3's poo poo is likely out of their control.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
XIGNCODE3 can apply different levels of security policy currently using differentiated technology called a "one-time execution code infrastructure" registered as a patent, by adopting the online game service company center of operations in accordance with service policy game operators which is the next generation of game security solution. It supports the Windows 2000 client experience more games, if the game server supports both Windows and Linux environments. C / C ++ / easy to be applied to a variety of development environments such as JAVA / C # code provides all the interfaces that are specific to your environment. It is also possible to easily apply and test within a few hours without the complex learning process because the API set gotta simple configuration, enabling application process simple. System for correct operation of non-client bot detection using a "one-time execution code" patent "Win32 API calling patterns and frequency of" patent universal hacking tool and variants of hacking tools Block Illegal System / MAC address / user account / hardware block with (game operator control possible) emergency pattern generation tool provided (game operator controllable) VPN connection detection and Prevention (game operator controllable) DirectX modulation and illegal calls detection WDDM driver modulation detection speed nuclear detection time server speed nuclear detection kernel key function modulated detection using a DLL injection detect virtual memory code insertion detecting malicious thread detection-game keyboard hijacking detection DHCP illegal manipulation detection nuking / drop nuclear detection light click detection software / hardware macro detection message hook detect multiple execution detection VEH / SEH modulation and registration detection game client hash check games my specific functions illegal call detection game resources modulation detection game process memory access block game process handle access interception game process messages sent off game process keyboard / mouse input sent off the game Windows GDI access blocked debug interrupt handlers modulation block a kernel function called directly detect stealth process / modules / drivers detect kernel / user mode debugging detect virtual environments running detection and transparent information provides real-time detection status provides daily / weekly / monthly / quarterly / run annually game statistical data provide access count counted server connection count duplicate execution counts of hacking tools detected count unknown Stars that are hardware devices frequently used national execution / access frequency gameplay time frequently used operating frequency VPN to bypass national incidence of hacking tools detected country / user ranking daily / weekly / monthly demographic data available hacking tools used by IP detection priority hacking tools use system providing detection priority hacking tools use account-specific detection Ranked daily / weekly log data provides access account / system mapping information hacking tool detection log information fast customer support hacking tools report of receipt within 24 hours response email and always respond developer Messenger connection via IM support Games provide remote user support

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Jimlit posted:

Going to bed...

I got past this poo poo and got AUTH FAILED when I clicked enter game.

Good news once you're past it, you're done with it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
gently caress, I'm in Europe and I can't get out

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

ln206 posted:

is it true that we're all on EU server? :(

NA servers are down. Should show up when they're up.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

How difficult is it to get that particular fish?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I am officially a master baiter

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

SweetBro posted:

When/how do you get your awakening weapon?

I don't think the awakening update is in yet.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

SweetBro posted:

You don't know about the dedication of my sperg.

... Also I wasn't aware that awakening weapons were end level content.

They unlock at level 55 lol

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Wask posted:

The game is visually amazing, action combat seems pretty well done, some complicated systems that seem a bit weird or pointless... but is it actually fun? I haven't seen anyone talk about that.

The game has a lot to it and the combat is certainly more enjoyable compared to other games in the genre but I don't know how endgame will be. Even if this game is absolutely terrible when it comes to the PVP sandbox and the endgame content, they have three major markets to support, meaning success is practically guaranteed, meaning we can expect a stream of updates (that are delayed to our benefit so we can tell them they hosed up and to fix it for our market).

It used to be something quite special. Valencia update was a step in the right direction, we don't know what changes they'll make for NA/EU but I'd imagine we'll end up getting an improved Valencia update. Anyways, if it was special once before they scrapped features, who knows, they could add it back in. Play it as a entertaining B2P themepark MMO with sandbox elements that I would imagine will be amped up for the EU/NA markets in the coming months.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Somehow after doing some random trading/gathering quests I wound up as NUMBER ONE WEALTHIEST PERSON. And also NUMBER FIVE PROCESSING PERSON. I feel so accomplished.

This game is fun. I don't even care about leveling up. My first boat is almost done! :aaa:

Edit: 2 minutes after posting this I dropped back down to rank 16 on wealth. :iiam:

That's my main issue with this game and games like ArcheAge. I hear all these crazy stories people have but I don't see any of that. What I've experienced up until your level is a bunch of quests where the only thing special about any of it is the combat and the ability to auto path to the quest meaning I can mess around on my phone between collecting 10 boar assholes.

I leveled up to like 30 in ArcheAge and burned out on the grind/questing because the progression was taking far too long. Why can't the endgame start as soon as you're dropped into the world? Sure, becoming a bit better with your gear as you use your gear would be nice (in a Morrowind/UO-esque way) but what's the point of the 40 hour leveling curve to get to the "fun bits"? If you were to give the standard player every skill they'd unlock in a traditional MMO, I'm pretty sure they'd "learn the class" in an hour or two so that excuse is bullshit.

I'd much rather they spend a bunch of time explaining the cool poo poo I can do in the game than go through the motions and then all of a sudden at some arbitrary level, it opens up and becomes a completely different game.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 19, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
wtf Daum it's 07:54UTC and it's supposed to close at 08:00UTC
I wanted to see if I got my Master Baiter title yet

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I don't know if I can trust a company that can't even keep to their own schedule

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Was the ghillie suit character-bound? Because if they drop the prices like I'm expecting them to given the amount of negative press, I want one to use for my Warrior now and my Blader/Ninja later.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

so i died to one of the scroll boss monsters and my scroll was gone but the lil ghost buddy just kept telling me to use it anyway. was this a bug or is there something else you've gotta do?
There has to be a way to reclaim it? I'd post about it on the forums though. I don't think too many people died on that quest.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
gently caress warrior
I can buy a Lu Bu costume when blader comes to NA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK-QWQFjLLE

Since the awakening weapon for Blader is a Musindo, this is gonna be sweet.

or you can be a giant fish

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 22, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm gonna do the $100 pack because I'd probably end up buying the currency anyways, and what they provide is pretty nice.

I figure even if I don't mess with the cosmetics that much, the currency might come in handy when they release a paid expansion or whatever.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

Paid expansions are statistically less likely than this game dethroning World of Warcraft once and for all.

This business model kinda sucks for them because it relies on whales as much as a F2P game, but it has a barrier of entry for new players. They'll always be getting sales from their site and assumed presence on Steam, but they probably won't see a dime from the vast majority of launch players. I won't be surprised when they do some sort of paid expansion to get some money beyond what they get from the regular cash shop users.

Guild Wars 2 got one, and it has a similar business model with less interesting mechanics.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 22, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

lewtt posted:

:eonwe::eonwe:I need a tally of $100 sperglords who will be playing at the 96 hour headstart:eonwe::eonwe:

If we've got enough, it'd be a nice boon to be able to get a couple guild gathering missions in before $50 and $30 so we can increase the guild cap.

Guild Gathering missions are 90 minute timed guild-wide quests that allow you to keep what you gathered; the only requirement is that the guild collects it during the 90 minutes. It also gives both youAND the guild a respectable chunk of money when you complete, with the personal money based on how much you pine/iron/flowers you got. They're not terribly difficult, but they're gonna require more than 4 people to do reliably.

I can't just start a shitton of them and do them whenever someone feels like it; In addition to the 5 a day limit, they take 20k guild funds to start that we lose it if we don't complete it

Thinking I might. Depends if I feel like spending another $70 in the next week.

Also depends on whether they go back on the obscene cash shop pricing along with the shard structure.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 23, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Blazing Zero posted:

ok next item for discussion: who will be the first to run off with the guild's bank of space wheat

I'm saving my big theft for a game I can see myself playing past the first two weeks.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

That is one of the problems with this game and age of wushu. Despite the games being fun, you have to ease people into the game.

You can't give them a super comprehensive guide at the start or they will be repulsed by it. You have to give them their first 10 minutes or 20 minutes of gameplay. Then have a section of do you want to know more.

The op for this game could be much longer, but no one is going to read it if it is. Same thing with guides.

Does this actually open up like Wushu at some point though? Because I tried wushu and didn't get the hype at all until I read about it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Valencia Part III sounds great. Glad this is buy2play because it'll be nice revisiting this in a year.

Shame they didn't bring up the weeb classes though . I want to know when I can expect to play as Lu Bu and Rikimaru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
The outrage on the forums is going to be great. I can't believe they're treating a b2p game like this.

I don't really see the benefit we have over the f2p versions in other countries. Seems like it's just a barrier for entry for the sake of loving over botters. Is there any tangible benefit?