Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

raditts posted:

Isn't it really strange, though, that "Black Lives Matter" is the only situation in which you could state that something matters and people would assume you think it's the only thing that matters?

Not true at all. Say the words "violence against women" to the right dudes and you'll get a face load of butthurt about how nobody ever cares when men are victims of violent crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Echo Chamber posted:

I like Sam Bee's show.
I like John Oliver's show.
I like Trevor Noah's show.
I like Colbert's show.
I even like Larry Wilmore's show.

I think I'm doing it wrong.

I think I will like Trevor Noah's show in a year or two if he survives. He's still too awkward at this point. I really like Colbert's show, for two reasons: one is his relentless joy. The other is that my parents, who are a mixed political marriage, can both watch his show and my mom the democrat feels like Colbert's a political ally while my dad the republican doesn't feel like Colbert's mocking him.

raditts posted:

This is also an interesting point, because often when you highlight these injustices against minorities, rather than getting the response of "yeah, that's hosed up and shouldn't happen to anyone regardless of race" you get the "taking your problem and making it all about me" phenomenon in the form of "well here's an article of a white guy getting roughed up, where's the protests for him?" And it's a good question, why the gently caress aren't they out there protesting it? The answer is because they don't actually give a poo poo and they're being intellectually dishonest, and they can't let go of the cognitive dissonance of "nothing bad will happen to you if you're not doing anything wrong."

I usually explain it as a question of proportion. Yes, in absolute terms more white people are killed by the police than black people. However the percentage of the white population killed by police is *way* smaller than the percentage of the black population.

As far as white people not protesting it...I don't know, I grew up in an almost entirely white area and I never really identified with the also-white portion of the population that was habitually harassed by the police. I didn't think it was right that they were hassled, but fundamentally it was different from if I was really at risk of getting hassled as well. To me something like BLM makes sense because I've always recognized that I was safe from that kind of thing and various other people are not. The white people I know who are most indignant about BLM grew up in circumstances where they were more likely to be targeted by the police for special attention, and I think there's a knee-jerk "why isn't anyone standing up for ME then?" reaction. Which, OK, I get that. But I doubt the majority of white people with time and money on their hands to put into effecting some sort of social change are going to take up the cause of poorer or trashier white people because they aren't "us" and we don't have that problem. Meanwhile, even the most upstanding black citizen can fall afoul of racially motivated police attention, so there's a pool of well-educated middle-class young people with a direct personal stake in the issue.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Tiggum posted:

I assume that if you produce one of these shows you have to be thinking about what the others will cover. In this case "The Nightly Show will definitely go for racism angle, The Daily Show might go for the racism angle or sexism angle (and will probably expect us to go for the sexism angle), Last Week Tonight probably won't bother with either, so the sexism angle is the best one to take."

That's a crazy calculating answer when it's probably just the aspect of the situation that has the most direct emotional connection for Sam.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Maybe it's that it was almost 10 god damned years ago (jesus christ where did the time go) but I don't remember it being as big a problem for Obama back in '08. Bernie has the tendency to sound like a broken record sometimes.

I listened to a lot of Obama back then because I found his voice so soothing during a tough time (those long-form commercials...perfect) and I honestly couldn't tell you what he actually said.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

ZoninSilver posted:

The Trump Supporters segment is possibly the hardest I've cringed so far this year.

I guess I'm jaded (hi, I turned 18 during Bill Clinton's first campaign), but the mere fact that there are excited young people with relatively uninformed support for their candidate is never news. Those panels were never my favorite bit on TDS, either, though.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Periodiko posted:

But they didn't have uninformed support, a lot of them were clearly informed, that was the point of the segment. It was about the appeal of Trump amongst the relatively informed.

Selectively informed? They clearly knew his talking points but I didn't get the sense that they had really come to support him via reasoned analysis.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Pillow Hat posted:

I wish she would go after Hillary more. I mean it's fine if she's a HRC supporter, but every politician deserves criticism, and I feel like she goes especially light on her.

Anyway, the segment on Super Delegates was funny and informative. Great B segment, too. God drat I love Sam Bee. I think this show is so much better than any other show on TV. (And I quite like TDS.)

Maybe it's just that my friends are disproportionately Sanders supporters, but I feel like I haven't seen a single thing about her in months that *isn't* criticism. It's hard to think of an angle for critical comedy that wouldn't feel like a retread at this point.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

JazzFlight posted:

I really don't want this show to be a false equivalent South Park "truth is in the middle" nonsense. She's also only got about 20 minutes a week to say her thoughts.
Sometimes I just want to see someone rant against Republicans, who cares about appearing bipartisan? The Daily Show is currently too mild in this regard.

"She's only got about 20 minutes a week" was the point I was going to make. When time is that short, why waste it on material that isn't important to you personally as the show runner? It's not FF is the only political show on the air. Jon Stewart had 5x as much time per week.

As far as the super delegate thing goes...I have to admit I personally don't find it particularly interesting at this stage of the game. If Sanders can win outside of small white states and makes up a sizable chunk of his 2.4m popular vote deficit, I could see a majority of super delegates defecting of their own accord (if they haven't been put off by constant abuse from misguided Sanders supporters). They're interested in having a candidate who can win. As far as changing the process for future elections, if people who are willing to put the time and effort into working towards that make it happen, great. So far I trust the outrage to last no more than 3 months.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
The outtakes of Katie Couric at the end of the episode this week are adorable.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Pillow Hat posted:

Yeah, I felt like the point was that she understands the Bernie fever and likes the idea but just doesn't find it realistic. But maybe I read it too favorably since I'm a Bernie supporter.

She was already a (fairly new) correspondent on the Daily Show during the whole Howard Dean thing, so she's been here before.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

jojoinnit posted:

I… kinda want to vote for Gary Johnson?

If you haven't watched Fareed Zakaria this week, you should. He has a nice interview with Gary Johnson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Conway does have well honed "I know you are but what am I?" skills. That seems to be her main strategy.

• Locked thread