Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

He's lowering the hammer. You have to pull the trigger on most guns to do it. It slipped and fired the round under it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Protip: Don’t have a round in the chamber?
Nah, having a round chambered is fine for like 99% of hammer fired guns made in the last 100 or so years.

Collateral Damage posted:

If it's a revolver (unlikely) you can't open the cylinder with the hammer cocked.

It's a revolver. Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGU3yhUKZwY

You can see him half cocking it to spin the cylinder when he's playing with it before he tried decocking it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

eljackass posted:

I'm dumbfounded that plinking insulators has been or is apparently actually a "thing". Why the hell would people ever do that?! Not enough birds to shoot or something?
Why wouldn't they? Dumb assholes will literally shoot at anything. Go to any public wildlife park or area and every drat thing will be shot full of holes. From signs to fence posts to guard rails. When they run out of old computers and beer bottles (which they just leave there or throw in the water) everything's fair game.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

qkkl posted:

Why not just make a mold in the shape of the thing you want to make and pour molten steel into it?
Forging makes parts a lot stronger at a lower weight and molds wear out over time.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Having a decent sharp knife instead of a lovely steak knife you got in a set of four for $5 from walmart probably helps.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Have you never put potato chips on a sandwich or fries on a burger?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Helios Grime posted:

Is it just me or does that rebar look really flimsy? Like that look more like wire than anything else.
It's prestressed concrete. Stretch the wire out then pour once it's cured you cut it loose and the wire contracts making the form lot stronger.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Is the method of putting newly constructed/refurbished ships in the water really just tipping it in and hoping for the best?

Travel Lifts work pretty well if the boat fits. Just pick the boat up after refit and drive it over the water.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

how can you not hear that
Looks like a full environmental cab so he probably can't hear poo poo over the combination of the engine and a/c or heater.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The old friction cranes were built like literal tanks. You can abuse the poo poo out of them and as long as you replace the friction pads, linkage pins, cable and keep the rust down they'll run near forever. Until you wear through a pin and the boom falls to the ground.

They're easier to work on then hydraulic cranes too. Replacing the piston seals on an extension cylinder in an 85 ton crane is the biggest pain in the rear end. I'd rather spend all day hammering on frozen linkage pins then do that.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

I think construction companies started putting immobilisers in their machines after that because it died out after a year or so.
Most newer cranes, loaders and excavators have a battery disconnect. The older stuff where I work has a switch wired right to the battery. Just open the battery compartment and there it is the cheapest off the shelf switch NAPA had at the time.

Though it's less about thief and more about battery drain. Nothing beats telling people they have to wait to get to work while the batteries charge because someone left the key on overnight.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 3, 2018

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

chrisgt posted:

Looks like someone bolted a skill saw blade to their string trimmer.
I've done this. And it worked great for clearing over grown hedges too, for all of five minutes when it hit a particularly hard branch and it bucked. After which I decided it was an incredibly bad idea went inside and got a machete.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Nenonen posted:

How did you attach the machete to the trimmer?
Don't be silly I would have needed at least two machetes for that to balance it out. I'm not made of machetes.

Would two or four work better in a trimmer powered machete? I'm thinking four wouldn't give it enough time between contact to get up to speed to be effective. Three might work.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If I had to guess it's an amphibious excavator they repaired the track compartments on and they were taking it for a test drive (float?) it didn't work and one side got swamped. Amphibious excavator tracks are sealed and move in and out to give it buoyancy, usually.

Edit: also for deep water and heavier machines they put extra floats on on sides of the tracks and that one didn't have them.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Well the bit did say it was for hammer drills.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

IPCRESS posted:

My question is: What the heck is wrong with your payload rating system, or is the US ranger not the same as the world ranger?
The US Ranger is just a car in truck form. At least it was, I think Ford is changing that this year to make it actually preform close to other midsize trucks.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Pipe pile aren't driven to bedrock or at least they don't have to be since they're held by friction. They are just driven to refusal. Basically you drive them down and when you think they're good and they hit minimum depth for the size of the pile a technician comes out and does a blow count then does some math and figures how much they should support. It's possible to hit a rock layer break it up, get refusal and then have it fail. It's also possible someone did some math wrong.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Dad has told me stories about all the guys he worked with in the 80s, 70s maybe, running their mouths about getting a CDL because they'd make a ton of easy money being truckers. Turns out being a trucker is awful.

He also said he wouldn't get a CDL so they'd never call him to hull a lowboy. Because as soon a construction company knows you can do something you're going to be doing it. Job description or not.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I have pulled apart plenty of hydraulic cylinders that size for repair but pressurizing one with air to get the gland to come out never crossed my mind.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Fill your tires with liquid water, that'll show 'em who's boss :krakken:

You can actually do this on cranes with tires when you want more counter weight.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Some times the easiest way to do something is sticking your hands were they shouldn't go.

Like my dad who one day needed grease some gears on a crane. The easiest way to do this on older cranes is with the crane running and the gears turning. Did it hundred times over the 30+ years working on cranes and it was fine except the last time when he got distracted and the tip of his index finger caught in the gears. He said it was stuck so he gave it a yank which pulled the finger tip off and ripped the whole tendon out of his forearm.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

He never said but I could see it pulling his hand into the winch if he didn't. I'd have to see where it happened in the machine to know for sure.

He did however say there was a little chunk of meat hanging on the end of the tendon. He wanted them to cut the rest of the finger off but the doctors refused.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

"Do it or you're fired"

There was a guy here that dropped a saw into the water off a barge and the foreman told him to go get it or find a new job. He was a decent swimmer so he jumped in. Current drug him under the barge and they found him a couple days later.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The guy who died was a Jamaican immagrint who used to clear sugar cane before going into construction.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I have learned you should never tell an old man not to do something, it just makes them want to do it more.

Your best bet is to just start doing whatever it is before they can start.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If I was a billionaire making ungodly amounts of money on incredibly large and genetically gifted people I'm not going to want one of them to stop playing and stop generating me money because he cracked his skull or dislocated his shoulder because another incredibly large and genetically gifted person ran into him with enough force to level a brick wall.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Who needs calculations when you can just choke a sling on it and pick it up a foot and put it back down fifteen times moving the sling at random till it balances.

One of the fun things about older friction cranes is generally they'll fall apart before they tip if you have the outriggers out and down.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

It also looks like the "heavy boom", the one that fell to begin with hit the boom of the one that was lowering it?. Was the operator supposed to be lowering the heavy boom while rolling his crane back?
The crane that was lowering it was probably going to swing so they could keep the boom at one angle and the load as close to the center point as possible.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I dunno, it only takes my kettle a few minutes to heat up a liter of water

Yeah. My cuisinart 1.7l electric kettle only takes like a minute tops to boil a full pot.

Get one that isn't $30 garbage maybe?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

Screw that, I used to use electric kettles but finally got a Zojirushi boiler, keeps 4L of water boiling water on tap at all times, never has to spool up.
That seems handy but the kettle has to pull double duty between coffee and tea. And I don't have enough counter top for both. Unless the boiler can be adjusted down for the mornings.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

MisterOblivious posted:

It's a drat good thing you can't just order up keys for one of those machines off the internet then!

https://www.amazon.com/KOMATSU-EXCAVATOR-PC120-7-PC130-7-PC200-7/dp/B01MTXUTH5

https://www.amazon.com/Construction...SN42NRY7M4H7N57

There's is a close to 100% chance the key was under the floor mat or in an ash tray if it wasn't just left in the ignition. It's just too much of a pain in the rear end to have all the people that might need to jump in and move one have a key let alone just the operators.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

I would imagine once you need a handful of oxys just to get level, they don't help much with pain.
I know a few people that have problems with pills and they don't, it makes it worse. After a certain point all your aches and pains are magnified. Sure for the first hour or so after you take something it all goes away but as it wears off everything just falls on you like a sack of potatoes and what used to be some aggravating back or knee pain is debilitating.

I'm at the point after seeing a bunch of people like this that I refuse any and all pain killers unless I'm actually dying.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

He was trying to drive around it and just clipped the corner. It only crushed the side of the cab.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I wonder if this is modified at all besides the seatbelts:
Looks like they added counter weight.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Vanagoon posted:

I don't remember who said it but the advice was once given on these forums:

"Don't gently caress with a spinning shaft"

It should be printed just like that on all machinery that it could possibly apply to.
They basically do have that on large trucks with long drive shafts. It's a decal of a stick figure wound around a line saying don't get under the truck while it's running.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The weight of the cable reel has nearly picked the front end of the truck off the ground and has bottomed out the back suspension.

That's really something for a goose neck and a fifth wheel.

edit: I'd say put it over the trailers tires but it looks like if they moved it back the fenders would just tear them up.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 29, 2019

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

Shouldn't the spool be over the triple axle and not at the front of the trailer?

edit - efb

Yeah, but look at it. It only has like three inches of clearance with it on the tongue moving it back would probably drop the trailer down onto the tires. If you actually got the trailer moving it'd probably cause enough friction to destroy the tires.

I doubt it was ever tied down or moved.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

he's still got one really hosed link so its probably gonna throw again

I'd be more worried about the sprocket that's been ground down to nothing. It doesn't matter how much he pumps out the slack adjuster if he cuts hard it's going to pop off again. Which probably happens a lot considering how easy he makes putting the track back on look.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

1000 ton crawler crane that costs more than they'd ever want to spend with no guarantee of even being able to get it down into the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

“because I’ve got better poo poo to do than lay around” :v:
That is literally the best thing he could say. Avoidance and being sedentary are probably the greatest aggravating factors for chronic pain and injury.