Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

"KLYV IV" is a pretty :black101: name

On the subject of being safe because it's only your sister company being shut down:

I was a manager at Ameridose, a high volume compounding pharmacy who had a sister company in the next town called NECC. NECC, due to being built adjacent to a recycling plant and just by cutting corners, sent out a couple hundred doses of the injectable spinal steroid methylprednisolone contaminated with fungal meningitis. 800+ people got sick, 64 died, and NECC was closed pending investigation by the FDA and CDC. Since NECC and Ameridose had the same owners and upper management, they knew that the blood was in the water and that Ameridose would be inspected next, so they set about getting everything in order.

NECC and Ameridose's biggest selling point to customers was "same day turnaround", meaning that they could have a drug order custom made and on a truck the day it was ordered by the hospital, and charged a significant premium for the service. The problem with this is that it left a maximum of 12 hours for QC to test and recall batches of drug, diluent, and other elements before it was out the door, this was "compounded" by another factor in the compounding pharmacy business model: copyrights and patents on drugs exist and are honored only while you have the ability to make them, so Ameridose would buy up all of a raw ingredient necessary to make a drug sold solely by another manufacturer, and when that other manufacturer's production lines shut down anyone with the ability to make the drug can now legally set their own price to sell it. For example, after buying all of the raw stock to manufacture the cancer drug Ondansitron, we are suddenly allowed to sell the 12¢ syringes for $15 a pop until the licensed manufacturer is able to again, pumping out 60,000 units a day that the hospitals gladly bought in a panic because of the perceived shortage in the market. They're hospitals, they can afford it.

This mix of same day turnaround and frenetic production in tight windows of opportunity led to significant strain on our QC department, and some corners were cut. Our QC department was very good at catching and recalling bad batches of a drug quickly, but none of the follow-up due diligence was being done after the fact. Once the bad drug was taken off the truck, nobody was going back to to identify the root cause, like contaminated diluent, defective bags, or a tech scratching their ball rash too much. Once upper management realized that this wasn't being done and that the CDC and FDA inspectors were going to be on-site at any day, they did the only sensible thing: printed out 2 years of backdated documentation and ordered a QC tech to falsify the paperwork. She did, and immediately blew the whistle to the inspectors.
The owners were arrested at their homes, and the lead pharmacist was caught at the airport trying to flee to Hong Kong. Ameridose and NECC subsequently filed for bankruptcy under the weight of the lawsuits and fines.

PS: I hated the place and left a few weeks before the shitstorm hit for unrelated reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

You forgot to mention the actual fuckups. From Wikipedia:

Yeah, the place was a powder keg, but made so much money that they could make everything go away. Part of why I left.

I was there while they were doing the clean room expansion, with construction crews, HVAC, electricians etc dicking around while trying to run an active sterile clean room. At one point we had a line of buckets over a shelf of oxytocin bags because they didn't seal the roof around the new air handler.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that a prior manager tried to get rid of the birds by poisoning them, but never found the corpses.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Who would imagine that the biggest source of WTF in various ways in a drug production company would be birds. :haw:

The layout of the building made it difficult to avoid. Keeping the production floor at positive pressure only works while the doors are shut, it's kind of defeated when you have a dozen UPS and FedEx trucks come through every day.

The biggest issue they had was their rapid growth in a really short time. They went from 8 to 500 plus employees in a few years, and it was a frequent issue to have a problem arise that nobody had ever encountered before, so they were essentially making up SOPs on the fly without any testing or discussion. If it didn't work you could just throw a few million bucks at it and make it go away.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

That’s one of the shadiest and most underhanded tactics I’ve ever heard of.

I wish I’d thought of it.

It's basically the same as playing the futures market, just with a much more significant chance of winning big since drug prices are so overinflated.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Does anyone have a link to the post about this terrifying Harbor Freight saw I keep reading about? I'm on the mobile app and cant see what people are referencing.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I ran a terminal for a cut-rate logistics company in Boston which would ship anything you could also a PRO sticker on. One morning a pup came in with 4 pallets stacked with strange metal buckets loaded in the nose under a huge hole in the roof (it happened to be raining too). No MSDS with the manifest or placards on the trailer, so I dug out a packing slip to find that it was about 4000 lbs of highly reactive alkali metals in buckets of oil which had been cross docked about 6 times since coming out of a lab in California. The freight was beat to hell and appeared ready to collapse under its own weight, the metal itself had a bad habit of spontaneously combusting or exploding when exposed to water. It never should have been picked up, let alone shipped along with other freight that it could potentially contaminate, but the answer I got from corporate was that it had made it this far so why not just deliver it? The last thing I wanted was to leave it sitting on my dock, so I swung it to an empty 53 and shipped it alone placarded as bulk hazmat since none of our terminals had 4.2 or 4.3 placards anyway.

At the end of the day after it got delivered I got chewed out not because I placarded improperly, but because I wasted 35' of floor space that I could have packed with more freight...

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

I have never been stung or bit by a wild animal or insect besides mosquitos

Seen this before but I just noticed the dog on the left just stop and stare as the car achieved escape velocity

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I think he tugs on the cable, sees the pop in the rotor, starts running to the left, but then turns and dives away, and to the right. You can see him get up off the ground behind the wreck; he's wearing a yellow thing on his right shoulder that was hidden at first.

Didn't notice him at all the first few times I watched- probably due to his lack of high-viz and PPE

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The craziest thing is how the cameraman keeps it all perfectly in frame.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

You know the cameraman is the guy with a white hardhat running across frame at the moment of impact, and the camera's being held on a tripod, right?

Yes??? You know we aren't viewing this event through some kind of magical interdimensional portal and that there was in fact a second person filming there, right?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Must be an instinct ingrained in film school. I wonder how many photographers' last words have been "This is gonna be a great shot!"?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Due to air/light pollution this is the only way Chinese astronomers can view any celestial body

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

And one day the fuel spills out and all over the plane and catches on fire.
And the pilot discovers the ejection seat doesn't work and he has to remove the canopy and crawl out at several hundred knots.
And then the pilot discovers the parachute doesn't open, so he has to fall several thousand meters into the sea.
And then the pilot survives the impact - partly because he had his spleen removed a few years earlier.

https://uss-la-ca135.org/60/1960Judkins-Knott.html

Don't forget "Chute finally opens underwater and starts dragging him down so he has to cut himself free with a penknife"

It's less plausible than a Wile E Coyote gag

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Non roundabout-related post from YOSPOS picture thread that seemed kinda OSHA:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It's better than the alternative, I guess. And at least it's clearly posted.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I still love the story about how SCRAM stands for Safety Control Rod Axe Man. Even though it probably isn't true

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I highly doubt there's any system where 7 is what you want to get.

e: Then again I got a 6½ in grading systems so

I scored a 7 out of ✓+

:smug:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

It's ironic that the US has a metric grading system of 0 to 100 isn't it?

All my professors graded by Football fields per Earth-Moon distance and Banana Equivalent Doses per Hiroshima Bomb Yield

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

A Real Happy Camper posted:

Also if grain gets in your lungs theres zero way to get it out, since it sticks all over your respiratory system

I have an uncle who got a scare when they found lung spots on a chest x-ray. Turns out that it was just white lung from when he worked in a bakery 45 years earlier.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

so what im learning is that all grain diet is not healthy

It's fine as long as you keep its density in air under 15.7 ppm/V

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

elise the great posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how this happened, since they... kinda don't have connectors that can mate. A foley cath (indwelling) typically has three possible ports: a luer-lock screw-top port that requires a compatible adapter for flushing and drawing back fluid, a second luer that inflates the balloon, and a large open rubber tube where the drainage bag hooks up, which is large enough at the opening to jam your finger into if you had some weird reason to do that. I'm guessing that's where the oxygen hooked up, because oxygen hooks up with a slip-tip cath that's not compatible at all with luer systems (for good reason, as we use that system for IV lines). Plus the pt end of any oxygen hookup is like... a mask or a nasal cannula or something, which is COMPLETELY incompatible with a rubber tube.

I just can't figure out what wacko MacGuyver nonsense had to take place to get the two hooked up. Somebody had to work at that. And turn the pressure up to max, or something. I just don't understand HOW

Simpler solution: someone took a normal air hose and jammed it up his dickhole.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > OSHA: Never Click the LiveLeak Links

"Everyone come over and lift this 10,000 lb forklift off of her by hand!"

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

xergm posted:

Did you not watch the video? They were specifically pointing out how federal standards regulating those bars aren't strict enough.

All the trucks in the video had them, and most just sheared right off, like the drivers head. :gibs:

The structural failure isn't completely due to flimsy ICC bars either. In the United States you have an 80,000 lb limit for vehicle and freight (depending on axles), so every extra pound in your trailer's empty weight is a pound of lost freight revenue, by cutting out as much of the frame and wall weight as possible you while still having just enough metal to tack a bar on (don't forget the reflector tape either!) you are making a more desirable product for carriers to buy for their fleets. No carrier is going to buy a trailer with excessive crash protection for other vehicles, their only concern is longevity of the driver and equipment, and cubic feet of freight per ton of vehicle.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

OSHA-appropriate crosspost

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Powershift posted:

Just a reminder this person took out this bridge because she didn't know how many pounds 6 tons was, and didn't know how to back up the truck.

The problem isn't this bridge or that bridge. You can't engineer a solution to severe human stupidity out of steel and asphalt.

Love all the townies hanging out to check out that thar crashed truck with zero concern for the stability of the bridge or the vehicle.

Edit: and I'm a software engineer IN TRUCKING!

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 8, 2016

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Fasdar posted:

Things like this make me wonder if any workplace safety people get much training on the convergence effect - where you tend to see an influx of people moving towards disaster events when and after they occur. It doesn't always happen, of course. But this video is a good example of some of the reason it often does.

:ssh: It was one of the proposed locations for the new Bills stadium. Also it shared a building with a pallet distributor, an industry especially prone to mysterious fires.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Is the LES a manually triggered system or automatic like a car airbag? I can't imagine human reaction time to be fast enough to outpace an explosion.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

This is apparently at a Kanye show (he just did one in Sacramento where he showed up 90 minutes late, did two songs, went on a political rant, the dropped the mic and ended the show). How the hell is that platform even remotely legal?

Love the color scheme, it has a real Piss Christ aesthetic.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The best part is that it looks like the ball is bouncing off of the goalpost.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Thank god physical media is dead or someone could have gotten hurt.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'd think the nylon helmet straps would have been a lot more useful at grabbing the electrified parts than a couple damp sticks

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Nuevo posted:

Phossy jaw is horrifying. However, it and the radium are only related because the latter had watchmakers sucking on paint brushes covered in radium paint, causing the cancer to be localized in the mouth.

White phosphorus had a totally different, but equally horrifying method of action.

https://strangeremains.com/2015/03/01/the-horrific-disease-that-causes-jaw-bones-to-glow-in-the-dark-and-rot-away/

The industrial revolution was loving nuts.

Part of that is also because phosphorus and radium can both take the place of calcium in bones, and your jawbone is constantly rebuilding itself much more quickly than other bones tend to due to the strain that eating puts on it. So a lot of radium poisoning cases tend to manifest first as tooth loss and jaw issues.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

wolrah posted:

I'm just imagining before the audio recording kicks on the officer going "why do I have to be the police?" in this tone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tuE0z3gG3c

I'm sure the last thing he wants to do is drive towards the explosion.

"I'm sorry but your Cool Cop Training should have taught you that the proper response to a badass explosion is to walk slowly away and ignore it. Turn in your badge and gun."

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Looks like they're just getting rid of tailings

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

CADPAT posted:

So the Canadian government decided to offer some compensation to some people this year after this happened (note: it is a sad story):

It's worth noting the incident drove to changes in the way dummy ammunition is handled such as painting it gold with the big words DUMMY painted on it, as opposed to having it look exactly like the real thing. So I guess that's good.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cadets-grenade-accident-compensation-1.3746700

This brings me back to remembering a string of bombings in my home town back in the 90s.

Basically 2 guys got their hands on a bunch of grenades and plastic explosives and proceeded to chuck them out of their car around town. I remember one going off on my street and my Viet Nam vet dad jumping up saying"that sounded like incoming!" Our neighbors weren't hurt, and just got a bunch of shrapnel embedded in their aluminum siding.

Here's the OSHA part: a citizen found a rusty unexploded grenade on the street, picked it up, placed it on top of a fire hydrant, and called the police. When the officer arrived they found what was indeed a live unexploded grenade and decided that the proper method of EOD would be to drive it to the highschool soccer field for the bomb squad to take care of, and proceeded to drive down the street with his window down holding the grenade outside the vehicle in case it exploded.

Luckily it didn't explode on the ride over, and the bomb squad was able to detonate it in the field.

As an aside, my dad was the airbase librarian in Nam, and had more of an acedamic understanding of what incoming sounded like. My social studies teacher was a combat veteran, however, and already pretty twitchy. When the explosives went off outside he hit the floor shouting and ended up leaving for the day afterwards... This was 1993, and MAD UNKNOWN BOMBERS just ended up being a side note in the local nightly news.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

spog posted:

I genuinely am curious as to what 'harmless' material we currently use is going to be found out to be deadly in the future.

In the way that we go 'holy poo poo, they used asbestos in schools!!', in 40 years, will they be saying 'I can't believe that they used paper every day!' or 'can you believe they ate chicken, what morons!' ?

Lol if you think humanity has a future.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

That is both terrifying yet immensely satisfying to watch.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

The iPad has a magnetic compass in it, could have used that in combination with paper charts if he really had no reception.

*Cruises into active shipping lane, gets hit and sinks*

"Goddammit Waze!!!"

Edit: that reminds me of multiple complaints I've seen on the Waze map editor where drivers were directed down restricted roads on military bases and had weapons drawn and pointed at them by the guards.

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 28, 2017

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/mikefossey/status/840003103508312064

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It's never good when one of your employees' accidents makes the news

On a positive note our driver was the one of the three who got away uninjured, the equipment wasn't totaled, and we/ he were not found to be at fault.

Watch out for overpasses when​ you're empty in heavy winds!