Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Not entirely OSHA, but:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/onoway-water-chemical-pink-1.4013808%5C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Not what her manager meant when he told her to monitor the restaurant.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Samopsa posted:

wanna cut a log? just make your own bandsaw and cart it along the trunk by using a dolly, no big deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo2E9yxwiUQ

Surely it would have been easier* to put the log on some sort of dolly and keep the bandsaw stationary?

*Not sure if it would be safer...I feel a homegrown sawmill is never safe.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Bring back motorcycle chariot racing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Slanderer posted:

I'm honestly more concerned about letting all that liquid nitrogen evaporate indoors. I guess his kitchen wasn't enclosed enough for that to be a problem, but yeah, don't gently caress with nitrogen in an enclosed space

Especially considering I'm 99% sure that's a second kitchen in a basement workshop area, which means likely even less ventilation than the ground floor.

But yeah, the dude is really on thin ice and once of these days will hurt himself on something. If nothing else, getting lung cancer from inhaling all the fumes from his "backyard foundry."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVH7pytOBuc

How he not dead?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd bet there's been a Ghost Rider Sailor at some point. Surely one was a pirate or something?

If you can ride it, drive it, pilot it, or in any way attach yourself to it, that at some point a Ghost RIder has been on it, yes:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

oohhboy posted:

I was taught as a kid that fire doubles every minute. After seeing house fire videos I called BS. They can double every 15-20 seconds. It does eventually slow down but it gave me a healthy respect for it.

Interior fires spread even faster nowadays because of the large amount of synthetic materials in furniture, upholstery, curtains, pillows, etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNPhq5ggoE

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

neonbregna posted:

It's a disease so why not?

I remember that episode of King of the Hill.
http://kingofthehill.wikia.com/wiki/Junkie_Business

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

wrong thread.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Edit: Entirely the wrong thread.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

I still don't understand the Austrian rules on traffic lights.

Lights go in the order green -> flashing green (couple seconds) -> yellow (couple seconds) -> red
Green means go.
Flashing greens mean "stop if at all able, go if unable to stop" (so the same as the meaning of yellow in all sane countries)
Yellow means stop (it is illegal to cross at this time)
Red means stop (it is equally illegal to cross at this time).

Wow, that flashing green is weird. In some countries (Canada, for one...maybe just Quebec? It's the only part of Canada I've driven in) a flashing green is a "protected green" and is the same as a green left turn arrow in the states, i.e. no one will be coming from the other direction, so just go on through, you have right of way.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Trabant posted:

At least the guy seems to be taking the "Call a professional" advice to heart.

Similar to that, I just saw this posted to my city's subreddit today:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

elise the great posted:

Another bit of miscarriage-related :nms: fuckery: a few years back, my weirdo best friend had a fairly early miscarriage at about 10 weeks. She hadn’t realized she was pregnant because her periods are super irregular, so she thought she was just having a really hellish period, until she passed something in the shower that looked like a gummy bear.

She’s an artist, not a medical person. It took her a few minutes to figure out what it was. During that time she picked it up, turned it back and forth a few times, and then squished it.

She said it was way easier to squish than a gummy bear would have been, and that’s how she knew.

Is your friend in anyway related to GE Cafe?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1882534

They seem to both have a habit of red things falling out of them in the shower.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

"A jaywalker simply can't be run over...and sometimes, that's more than he deserves."

Harsh, but fair.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

That guy should be on the look out for Scorpions.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Sitting in one of the "Hotel Spaces" at the, I poo poo you not, insurance company I'm doing some contract work for, and this is the outlet to plug my laptop into:

I wish I could say it only pulled out of the floor when I went to unplug my laptop, but it was like that when I walked in. And yes, it has power going to it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

This appears ridiculous at first glance, but I think it's understandable.

Judging from the long shadows and general luminosity it looks like the time of day when sun is setting at the perfect angle to blind windscreens. And from the direction of the shadows he has to driving be straight towards it. It was probably a super glare, which would definitely obscure a slim object with its dark side towards you.

Probably just in the blindspot of the A pillar...good lord, some of those are MASSIVE these days.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Chief Savage Man posted:

They did this because the NYC press called him out for always having his motorcade idling while he was in meetings, even though he had signed bills against vehicle idling. So they decided to try this so that they could cool the car without having the engine idling.

Or he could just suffer in a hot car for all of three minutes like the rest of us.

Good God, what a baby.

Fake edit: Hell, he could still get into an already chilled car if they just started it, like, as he was leaving whatever place he was at. It's going to take him a few minutes to get outside to the car, so that's plenty of time to get it to comfortable temps.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

jetz0r posted:

The drivers definitely have something to do with it. They're stuck waiting in those cars with the windows up for hours. Doing that without any AC really loving sucks.

But can't the drivers just go inside too?

Or are the buildings these mayors going into not fit for the peons of the world like drivers and security personnel?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

90s Ranger/Tacoma is basically the perfect truck

From a few pages ago, but gently caress yeah. My truck is a 99 Mazda B4000, which is just a re-badged Ford Ranger. It's not too large, but big enough to relatively easily haul a queen mattress + frame (thanks to the racks on the back).

It's green, rusty, and has some :krad: flame decals along the side.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Shinmera posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zDcsjHyxr8

Would love to hear some more insight on this one from the drill people in here!

Langoliers remake lookin' good.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Pail Ale posted:

When it comes to farm equipment, I like to assume that the notices were put it after that same incident occurred.

Almost certainly. Hell, that's how most safety equipment/warnings come about.

I think I talked about this before, but medical equipment is the same way. Enough patients die because a doctor/nurse/random person walking into the room increased the medication flow, or reduced oxygen, etc... so a new safety measure is put in place.

I specialized in testing and repairing anesthesia equipment, and they are a textbook example of that. Things like a physical interlock between the nitrous and oxygen knobs so that a doctor can't increase the nitrous without also increasing the oxygen, because enough people died because too many of them did exactly that.

The oxygen supply knob is also larger and has different knurling than the nitrous and air knobs so if a doctor is blindly fumbling for a knob, he's less likely to mistake another knob for the O2.

Gas vaporizer interlocks. Nitrous isn't the only anesthetic gas used, other gasses, like Sevolfurane, Desflurane, etc... are delivered by small vaporizer modules that attach to the front of the machine. If one is opened, it locks out any other ones from being opened to prevent more than one anesthetic gas from being delivered at a time. The modules also have keyed fittings to refill, so you can't put Sevoflurane into the Desflurane vaporizer.

There's more, and I actually just found a good paper on it here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3821264/

It has citations about cases where a patient did die or was injured before a given safety feature was implemented.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/06/us/florida-zip-line-park-trnd/index.html

quote:

A mother from Florida is suing an indoor entertainment park after her 10-year-old son was injured after falling 20 to 25 feet from a zip line and onto the concrete surface below, according to a lawsuit filed by the mother.
According to the FDACS incident report, the boy was seen in a video walking from the harness area to the dispatch area "without having his harness fully secured." During the video, the investigator notes that the "leg straps can be seen not buckled" and that he could be seen "holding his body weight with his arms" while riding the Sky Rider.

It's baffling to me that there was bare concrete under the zipline and not some sort of padding.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Who's Maintenance Dan? Is he Groundskeeper Willy's cousin?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Grem posted:

I think this is the most unsafe King of Random video out there, but they're all pretty OSHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHsDZbN05tE

That's not even the OG King, just some other guy who took over the channel after the first guy was arrested or had some sort of other issues because of all the weird poo poo he was doing?

And then he died in a hang-gliding accident.

Which reminds me, has Cody from Cody's Lab died of mercury or some other heavy metal poisoning yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Yeah "culture" aka lobbying from car companies.

And buying and dismantling of buses, cable cars, etc...

Judge Doom's plan in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" was a thing that really happened, though with slightly less anvil dropping.