Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

eh the crew doesn't need to escape do they
I think there's a sequel where the crew cabin detaches too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its a test to see if anyone is even taking the exercise seriously. Since no one died, you failed since that proves no one was really aiming at anything.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Volume posted:

I don't even know where to begin
Normal squats and some limbo, but I don't think you'll be able to practice the rhythm without going all the way on a ferris wheel.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hmmm, yep, that seems like the correct response to an elevator with broken interlocks.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Another day, another poo poo pit death

quote:

To make it pumpable, the farmer agitated the open manure pit, which, in combination with still air and warm upper air temperatures, created a deadly environment.

Movement in the pit cracked a surface scum line that allowed gases to escape from the pit — about the size of a football field.

It seems kind of unique in that it was a wide area phenomenon. Normally its something like someone stirs the poo poo pit close up and they're overcome and fall face first into the poo poo, or else its an enclosed tank of poo poo. This literal lake of a poo poo pit gassed enough to just straight up choke a dude and a dozen cows nearby.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DOOP posted:

Don't think chicken sacrifice is a crucial part of operating a chemical plant
You don't want to know the magic spells that let chemical plants be safely run by hillbillies.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BattleMaster posted:

I don't get it, did they manage to completely avoid noticing the very prominent power lines?
They probably noticed them and applied the rule of "don't worry I've got this." We like to bash on managers and owners for a lack of safety because there's a real impetus for them to be the stewards for good safety, including providing the guidance and allowance that could discourage the following type of accident. But don't forget the basic form of a lot of accidents is "hold my beer and watch this" or "we got this"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

treasure bear posted:

Sorry colour blind people, you're just going to have to get caught in machinery and die, conventions saving pennies on LED manufacturing and software color blind modes are important.
Edited to be closer to reality (unlike the genetically inferior's perception of color)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Perfect color comprehension is really a curse. My dad was a printer and did validation by eye constantly, and he was always silently frustrated about how everybody's TV was set up wrong.

To tie in back into OSHA, my brother considered following in his footsteps and took a printing vocational in high school. Got stoned one day, reached into a running press to clear a jam, and it ate his hand. Broke most of the bones in his fingers but somehow left the growth plates, nerves, and tendons in tact so that he made a full recovery without major surgery.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Daily OSHA reminder not to crawl into poop holes, cross posting courtesy of Strange News thread:

bitterandtwisted posted:

quote:

Norway man rescued after climbing into public toilet
Firefighters in Norway have pulled a man from the inside of a toilet after he lowered himself in to retrieve a friend's phone and became stuck in the tank below.
Mr Berntsen Larsen said he had volunteered to enter the tank, which is not connected to the sewer and which is only emptied once a season.
"I panicked because I hate confined spaces," he told Norwegian newspaper VG.
"It was drat disgusting - the worst I have experienced. There were animals down there too."
To make matters worse, Mr Berntsen Larsen quickly threw up after entering the tank, which was standing room only.
Mr Berntsen Larsen sustained injuries to his upper arms and said he believed he had been bitten several times. He was treated at hospital and given antibiotics.
He was not successful in retrieving the phone.Norway man rescued after climbing into public toilet

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Three-Phase posted:

In a PLC you can do a really simple anti tie-down circuit to stop the operator from jamming a sensor or button in place.

What you do is take the input signals (left button, right button) in parallel and run them into a timer. Set the timer for say 15 seconds. If either of the buttons is held down too long, the timer times out.

Once the timer times out, you can set it up to trip the machine offline and lock out operation until it's been reset.
Wouldn't running your two hand controls through the average PLC on hand not pass muster in an FMEA? Also by the time you look at self prescribing through an FMEA, might as well buy the two hand controls off the shelf and whether it is better or not, you send the agency inspector or the insurance underwriter after the manufacturer if something goes wrong and its tracked back to the two hand controls.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ak Gara posted:

Maybe they where suffering from slight hypoxia.

It sucks that we don't have O2 sensors built in. If you're low on O2 but you haven't got an increase in CO2, such as you're breathing in Methane or Helium, you feel perfectly fine until you suddenly collapse. Hypoxia rapidly results in "unable to have good ideas" quickly followed by "unable to have ideas" and I don't mean because you're dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_MI9UiYwJA

There was one of those animated 'what happened' videos about 2 workers standing in a shed that processed animal poop. One of them said 'do you smell something bad?' and I was like "OH MAYBE ITS THE LITERAL ROOM OF poo poo YOU'RE IN??"

Then they suffocated to death. Does anyone else remember that thread?
Based on flammability limits, the concentrations pan out that the junior tech and the store employees were possibly beginning to become overcome and had some oxygen deficiency based lapses of thinking. But the senior tech and the fire captain both rolled up to a site with a known leak that reaks of odorant and neither had the training to tell the others "get your butts to the next zip code"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't think its the 14 psi all over your body that's the issue. Afterall, the entire thing preventing the squeeze is some multiple of amtospheric pressure holding your gear rigid and necessarily pressing down on your body as well.

Its the 14 psi differential across the ocean and the tiny airhose, with your body in between the two. A household vacuum cleaner is about a differential of 3 psi for reference and if you've ever latched it on to a circle of flesh you know its not every pleasant.

Compare to space, where you might have a 14psi differential at first, but it quickly literally deflates itself. Where in the ocean case, if you give an inch, there's a billion more miles of ocean willing to take its place.

e. If you look at it like a piston problem, you have 14 psi pushing on your body's surface area. That's about 183 kN, but all spread out over some 2 square meters of body. If you try to stick all 2 square meters of body into a quarter inch hole with 183 kN of force, the itty bit of your head that hits the hole first is seeing something like 210000 psi.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 31, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

jamal posted:

No, not even close. 14psi over a 1/4" hole is 2.75lbs of force.
Well yeah but its 14 psi over your body, pushing you in direction of the lowest pressure, or straight up. Here's some diagrams on how I came to my numbers:

The red is the ocean's hydraulic pressure. Blue is whatever is in opposition such that you don't instantly teleport to the surface. For the red I just took hydraulic pressure of 14psi over an average man's body area of 1.9m^2. You can quibble about taking the whole area, when probably only a fraction get's usably directed toward pasting you into a helmet. For worst case scenario, I figured a little 1/4" piece of your head hitting first, but still. 14 psi over 1.9m^2 is 183kN, or 41klbf. So you need 183kN of opposing force that isn't pressure. If its 1/4" piece of your head trying to enter a 1/4" hose, that's like 210000psi on that little bit of head. Or 41000 pounds distributed to whatever body parts you think take the brunt.

Either way you've got 41klbf of force to oppose from hydraulic pressure, which is easy when air pressurized, its just 14 psi of air pressing back on your suit. Less easy when you try to oppose it with your head. Surface area is a bitch when pressure is involved.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dylan16807 posted:

That's not how pressure works. If it did, this sort of perpetual motion device would actually work:

What actually happens is that for every square inch being pushed up by the water, there is an opposite square inch being pushed down by the water, except the tiny spot where the hose is. For every square inch being pushed left, there is a square inch being pushed right, etc. There is a total force of 41klbf, but 99.99% of it is balanced from both sides. Your whole body is squished infinitesimally until your internal pressure matches the external pressure, but because it's evenly spread over all your skin you survive that fine.

The force at the air hole is nothing more than its size multiplied by the 14 psi difference. Harmless. To actually get severely harmed, you need much deeper pressure or you need to have the blockage be at the neck hole, which is vastly larger.
I don't follow the perpetual motion? The whole example's point is being a static balance. Most of all I don't understand the focus on the neck being a bigger opportunity to exert force. A plug missing from a hydraulic oil system is a mess you clean up with oildri. A pinhole in a hydraulic system is a mess you clean up with amputation.

How about this way. Your body's surface area is N. In pressure equilibrium, all of N is pushed on by all pressure, and you are in the case you describe.

You lose air pressure or whatever and now there's not pressure equilibrium. Your dive suit turns into a positive displacement pump, or other words a toothpaste tube. N-x% of your body you are getting that 41klbf for suitably small x, pressure differential times actual area in a strict case. Since I am looking at it as a static problem (ie the diver goes nowhere, just pulped in his suit) all that's left to counteract that force is some pressure exerted on x% of your body. So x is the percent of your body that is impinging on the suit, at the top, at the neckhole, whatever plugs. In actuality the situation is dynamic, the force is balanced by the work of forcing junk through the "clog" (yuck) until X-n has fallen low enough to reach equilibrium with what must become a column of blood inside the hose, as well as a hundred other factors like incomprehensible bits, spring response etc. The piston problem follows as a naive static case where you have a pressure differential acting on area N-x, that can be balanced by a force acting on remainder x. There is no relative hydraulic force on x, we are necessarily in an unbalanced regime, but it must balance with the hydraulic force on N-x.

The pressure of toothpaste at the nozzle follows from that analogy. Peristaltic pumps follow from the principle, where small force enacted on a flexible membrane magnifies into a big pressure at pump outlet.

So a diver would be a big tube of toothpaste. Yuck.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

jamal posted:

You need to start over. The air hose, the helmet, and the suit are all at the same pressure. I think some seal around just the helmet but the ones we are talking about for deep sea navy diving or whatever are the whole suit. So anyway, helmet, suit, hose, all the same pressure, size of neck hole and hose are irrelevant. The force is the pressure differential over the surface area of the suit. That's it. I suppose the suit would wrinkle and some forces would cancel out but yeah, deep enough and a loss of pressure to the suit and you become toothpaste. It just seemed to me like 1atm or so would not be enough.

Probably been posted a few times but here is a video about pressure differentials acting on divers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0
Bold is what my result is. I can define the analogy real strict instead of just futzing with human body area. N is the surface area of the suit.X is the surface area of the suit in contact with the other side of the suit making a plenum which cancels out some amount of pressure. Y is the area of the diver that defines the dividing surface between dive suit and the air in the hose. That surface necessarily exists because the report is they find them mashed up in the suit, not entirely contained in the hose. Whatever air is below that surface is quickly compressed to ocean pressure. Air above the surface is displaced by whatever the eveent manages to pump. The algebra then follows
dP*(N-X)=Force exerted, or dP*(N-X)/Y=Local pressure at the restriction
In the strict case that is the force exerted at the final constriction. The work to compress the volume of the suit is expended in pumping human bits somewhere else, or else force hits equilibrium by being countered by the increase of X or increase of Y, or else dP decreases due to hydraulic pressure becoming significant from human jelly in the air line.

It only really has significance if there is an area Y to ascribe the force to. The difference between getting shot and shooting a gun is surface area, not force.

As an opportunity for myself to be a little less pedantic and boring, everyone should never forget crab friend. Crab friend died so we can discuss statics and dynamics of dP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMHwri8TtNE

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dylan16807 posted:

So the device has a cup and a tube. Focus just on the tube. It has water pushing down across a large surface area, let's say .2psi across 10 square inches for simplicity's sake. So there's 2 pounds of pressure pushing down onto the water in the tube. It then narrows to only be half an inch across, before traveling up. If we truly had 2 pounds pressing against that narrow opening, the water would jet up several feet. But it doesn't.
Good thing that's not what I'm saying is happening. Its a naive static case, because the diver never makes it into the tube cause he does't quite fit. There's a large area where pressure is acting. There's a small area where it isn't. This magnifies forces such that there's a traumatic event.

Dylan16807 posted:

Let's talk about a hydraulic system with a pinhole. I guarantee you that if you have a big piston pushing down with a hundred pounds of pressure, and make a pinhole on the side, you will get a weak squirt at most. It will only be at a psi or two, and the strength of the stream will reflect that. When a pinhole kills you it's because the system was at a ridiculous pressure level, so much so that one thousandth of the forces at play is still enough to injure you.
I had a little trouble where to even start with this misconception. Have you ever drank out of a hose? City tap strength is just about a constant P source for anything you would care to do with it, besides fighting a fire or whatever. Not unlike a hydraulic piston trying to maintain a constant P. Now, when you drink out of the house, do you drink from the wide hose opening, or do you constrict the hose? I only do the latter when goofing on people cause it kind of hurts. Lets switch gears. You're washing your car. Do you just let it glug out, or do you stick your thumb over the end to create a jet to wash the dirt off?

If you still don't believe me, you can have a pissing contest with yourself. A human bladder is a form of positive displacement pump. Start taking a whizz and take notice of the distance. Now pinch the tip and see how you do.

Dylan16807 posted:

Let's look at the diver a different way. A force of 14psi is applied over almost their entire body. This shrinks the diver a tiny tiny amount, because divers are mostly water, and the diver is now pressurized in equilibrium with their environment. Now there is basically 0 psi on the diver, except that pesky air tube. That air tube is at negative 14 psi, but it's very tiny, so the total force is a couple pounds.

Or we can look at this a third way. You're on the surface of the planet earth. There's an enormous amount of pressure on you. If I attach a suction cup to your head and pull back to provide a low pressure, why are you not crushed into it with a thousand pounds of force?

Your math is just wrong. The force being applied is not low pressure spot vs. the rest of the body. You need to take into account the direction of each square inch of force. The pressure cancels out except for the cross section of the low pressure spot.

The reason these deaths happened is because the neck hole is a hell of a lot bigger than the air hole, which let the force imbalance be much larger.
How about an argument by indivisibles, because you seem really convinced that the pressure is balanced.

So we have a toothpaste tube. I want some toothpaste and start pushing down with force on the red vector. So if all that is acting on it is the red vector, it just moves in that direction. But I really want that toothpaste to come out. If I oppose the red force with the blue force, net force is zero and the tube is held static, hooray! But wait, there's an unconstrained end and pressure increases for just a moment inside, starting the flow and dispensing my toothpaste. The opposing forces are in fact crucial to applying force to the contents in the only unconstrained direction. Now the indivisibles part. Instead of two fingers supplying one red and one blue, you have infinitely many red arrows on the top and every corresponding blue arrow to hold the tube static while putting pressure on the contents. If you could vent the nozzle of a toothpaste tube to the surface this is the situation you'd have if it was underwater 30ft and you took the cap off. Also the case when a dive suit squeezes it's inhabitant.

Suction cups or vacuum hoses are a slightly different case. In the dive suit, you are inside the vacuum and everything else trying to get in is what is putting force on you. With a suction cup, vacuum hose, or other vacuum source, there is a small volume of vacuum trying to pull whatever small amount of you in contact. I still wouldn't want to touch an orifice to a hard 15psi vacuum.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
As the guiltiest party I'll submit my peace offering in the form of something that was quickly glossed over in the Louisiana flood thread. Because all the rain in the world wasn't enough, one of the local chemical plants had a sulfuric acid leak. All the roads to and from the cluster of chemical plants are underwater so of course a tank of acid is going to leak.

But wait, how was sulfuric acid motive in a cloud form? Well that facility makes some ungodly fraction of the total consumption of HF in the US. So I'm assuming they are calling oleum sulfuric acid because who the hell has ever heard of oleum, and acid clouds gets the point across.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SneakyFrog posted:

this was my first thought as well, maybe with a standard electric car fan to further reduce temps
That's probably the first step.

If someone ever finds the need for all the cooling you could ever ask for in a hobbyist form, there's some guides on the internet of how to turn a window AC unit and a cooler into a glycol chiller.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CollegeCop posted:

Many guns (including the one I am wearing right now) have tritium night sights.

It's really no big deal.
Well yeah, to the end user its a barely appreciable amount of radiation even if you eat the thing. I don't think there's been any high profile errors in tritium handling, since I think even with acute ingestion a flush in service of first aid is kind of minor cause you're just trying to work water through your system. I think the EPA has some concerns about it ending up in municipal dumps because they are leaky as a sieve which can cause some unknowing chronic exposure, but I'd expect the heavy metals would get you first in all but the strangest of cases.

But radium paint is somewhat famous for easily avoidable chronic exposure.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its got the babushka seal of approval, what could go wrong

quote:

My work over the photon-guarantee for 24 years. There is always on guard our health, along with onions, garlic and oxolinic ointment.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Had an RSO instructor once proudly tell the story of a day (maybe working for the NRC, I forget) and someone managed to swallow some tritium (tritiated water?) while on a government job so they had to buy beer on the super strict government dime to do a body flush. He was a wild one. Gotta love that OSHA beer.
Worked in uranium processing for a while, stories were back in the 70s if someone was exposed in whatever way to ingest a bunch, the first aid response as protection from heavy metal poisoning was to cut them loose for the rest of the day and tell them to buy a case of beer and take a sick day.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Don't whizz on the electric fence

http://i.imgur.com/FLNzhK3.gifv

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
http://www.arlingtoncardinal.com/20...ghts-residents/

It looks like some bushes held it in a standoff above the fence, so it seems to be power line to swingset, swingset arcing to the fence, since the fence doesn't start smoking until the camera blinding arcs start.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Was this dude peeing or something? What is he doing?
It's an old hand showing how big his balls are and was probably preceded by saying something like "hey new guy, take a look at how we used to do this poo poo" which is like the "hey hold my beer" of industrial settings.

In a previous incarnation of this thread it was accompanied by some yard worker explaining a lot of that still happens because not slamming cars together and hooking them before the rebound just takes too long.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zopotantor posted:

Connecting the cars by placing a shackle between two fixed hooks on the cars. Afterwards he would have to connect the brake lines. He doesn't show off because he has no control over the speed of the car (somebody else probably screwed up there).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffers_and_chain_coupler
I don't know, a risk analysis would probably say he could have control over the speed of the car by not standing in the line of fire of a moving car.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Emissions I agree with, but have you seen the inspection place actually crack down on sound level? I never see them measure it when I take my cars in, and I am preeeeetty sure my 928 is nowhere near appropriate sound levels with the current exhaust setup.
I had a ricer exhaust in highschool and got a sound citation on a traffic stop. My dad answered the summons and argued there's no specified way to measure and got it knocked down to a warning. He said the magistrate seemed pissed because it was just the one traffic cop writing tickets for noisy exhausts and everyone seemed to call his bluff by answering the summons.

As far as inspections and practical enforcement goes I think the de facto enforcement in most places is "has a muffler and there are no holes in the pipes."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

El Gar posted:

This is the view behind that panel

Pneumatic instrumentation and controls are really something. How long do you give it until pneumatic punks take over for steam punks and people start gluing regulators and needle valves to a hat?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A good reminder it only takes a single moment of Heumann error for a tragedy to happen.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jerry Cotton posted:

I highly doubt there's any system where 7 is what you want to get.

e: Then again I got a 6½ in grading systems so
Kabbalah?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baronjutter posted:

What's the point of those laws? I've only ever had "full service" twice in my life and it took about 3x as long to get filled up and go and I had to awkwardly interact with a weird teenager who hated life. Most stations around here are self serve, a few will have a full-service line, and a very very very rare few are full service only.

Is it just a make-work sort of thing?
The bills were literally advertised as job creation measures.

I'm surprised there isn't more push to return to it with smog, explosions, and such on the line. Its super crazy the average person is allowed to fill up with no more training than their drivers ed instructor spending 30 seconds to tell them not to smoke. Gasoline is a potent carcinogen, can explode, and is a VOC of high concern with serious effects on air quality and self serve is a testament to how idiot proof they've managed to make it over the years.

I've mentioned it in one of these threads before and I'd love to hear if anyone has it sourced as right or wrong, but I've anecdotally heard one of the biggest contributors to de-smogging LA was modern vapor returning gas pumps.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sagebrush posted:

It does seem like a pretty dumb oversight, and a solved problem in most other industries. For instance, on oxyacetylene torch rigs, the oxygen fittings use right-handed threads and the fuel fittings are left-handed, so it's physically impossible to attach the connections backwards and cause an explosion. Surely it's even more important to have some kind of non-interchangeable irreversible fitting when you're literally piping fluids in and out of a person's body?
You say that like physically impossible fittings have ever stopped someone going to the shop and connecting a bunch of makeups together until you can mate anything to anything. Maybe less so on oxyacetylene torches, because presumably the person is trained on oxyacetylene torches and knows why the fittings are the way they are. But in general cases like piped breathing air or potable water where special fittings are in place to prevent thoughtless connections, it doesn't take long until you find something where you're like they connected what to what?????? Or find cheater makeups that mate the special fittings to a flange at which point the hose and piping world is your oyster.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baronjutter posted:

How does action park exist? Is it on some weird patch of no-mans land that some how is classified as international waters?
New Jersey, close enough. Classic Action Park was a combo of graft and kids, both employees and patrons, doing things they shouldn't and generally not reporting injuries to stay out of trouble personally. New Action Park is because ???

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Powershift posted:

The problem isn't this bridge or that bridge. You can't engineer a solution to severe human stupidity out of steel and asphalt.
Well you can overengineer anything to nearly any risk percent as you want, and I don't mean just fudging the numbers. For example with road underpasses going underneath existing infrastructure, you can fill it in and make the road an overpass because rail cargo has fairly specific height.

The obvious drawback with idiot proofing anything is cash money. But the comical underpass example is a often used example in administrative vs engineering solutions. Signage is an administrative solution and subject to misinterpretation due to missing it, being terminally dumb, etc. Replacing the underpass with an overpass that allows all road and rail traffic through without any danger is possible and expensive.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Are there :biotruths: about how we always run directly away from something because if you turn and run perpendicular, the tiger is going to eat you because of cutting the corner?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Olothreutes posted:

That is a surprisingly low death toll for a four or five story fall to a factory floor, molten glass furnace or not. I'm amazed that more people didn't die.
From the artist recreation it looks like maybe 15-20ft from the roof to the access floor at the top of the furnace.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Was going to mention that but you can't not post the explanatory gif:

Yes, you too can turn your commute to work into a death metal OK Go video!

e2a: Amazingly they were still in use in mines around the world well into the 20th century because while there were lifts for carrying the coal up and the tools down, they were considerably more dangerous in a world before centrifugal brakes and automatic control - also a lot slower too because they can only transport a few dozen men every couple of minutes, while a man engine can move 20-30 men a minute, and who wants to spend a second longer down a mine than they absolutely have to?
The gif is kind of scarier than the reality. Its more like a cross between an escalator and ladder, with a palsy, and less like a Mario obstacle

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Might be ankle socks? Who knows though considering he is apparently wearing hotpants on the job.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Captain Foo posted:

Calcium gel and hope it works before your bones dissolve?
Bone issues are the dramatic but lesser of injuries from chronic HF exposure. Chronic exposure more seriously leads to heart disease from extended periods of hypocalcemia. The risk from acute exposure such as in the case of a transport worker getting exposed in that example, is heart attack due to hypocalcemia. Shock, as from a chemical or thermal burn, is often not a huge issue because such an exposure is probably going to cause a heart attack in short order but for gross enough exposure you can start worrying about the normal burn complications too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

uXs posted:

Sure, but they programmed it to not do that. I don't see a dude wiggling a stick somewhere, that would make it infinitely more dangerous.
The possibility means its a lot harder to prove as fit for human use. For example if bit rot shifts an x to a y in a coordinate system and it smears the top of the chair along the ground or less dramatically accelerates enough to cause internal injury, you're going to have trouble making any civil claims and depending on your life insurance idiot clauses, ditto there because industrial robots come with very prominent warnings that humans shouldn't even be in the range of motion let alone attached to the end.

e. make the robot guy post here because chances are good he has stories of when the robots go Terminator