Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Quit ruining the thread with your slap-fight. Take it to PMs and :justpost: OSHA poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
:stare:
Wow, what a fuckup. I watched the video without sound and could see what they did wrong almost immediately.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Can the robot hit its own emergency switch by accident?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Watching him pick up that boulder without any gloves or steel toes made me shudder. Dude is definitely going to lose a digit or toe.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I went to a service station last week to buy a snack and I noticed that the petrol bowsers had video screens that were showing random crap. One was showing internet cat videos. The internet is loving everywhere these days.

I found that pressing one of the buttons next to the screen (on the right side, IIRC) mercifully lets you mute these.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Hahaha

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Omerta posted:

Jesus, people. Don't work on hot equipment. This is like my 10th fatality case this year from failure to LOTO.

My wife works in an ICU and she hasn't seen that many deaths this year. What can you do to eliminate these? Or is it a case of being unable to out-maneuver stupid?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

No it will go up, because the sky will get dark and everyone indoors will have to turn their lights on to avoid stepping on the dog.

Lights are cheap, a\c is expensive. The cooler temperatures will mean less power is being used.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Why do we park in a driveway, but drive on a parkway!?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

How many people did I just watch die?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I bought my solar viewing glasses on Amazon a good 4 months before the eclipse (because I knew they would run out) and then got a refund for them because they couldn't verify them as authentic. I thought they seemed good when I had used them on normal days before that, so I went for it. Still can see.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

4 posts before yours.

edit:
vvvvv
Hah!

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 21, 2017

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Bio-Hazard posted:

So now it's technically a hybrid?

Almost all cars are hybrids. You start with an electric motor, then the gasoline one kicks in.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Which is which?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I have lived in Northeast Ohio and in North Carolina and the snows are totally different. You just aren't prepared for the ice in the South.

Snow in Alaska was a piece of cake for me. Then again, almost every rental was AWD.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Lutha Mahtin posted:

sorry i still think it's because people are short sighted and don't take into account that the same meteorological phenomena produce the same safety hazards regardless of where one is on the globe. i have lived in minnesota for over 20 years and every december we still have an outsized number of crashes compared to the other winter months, because it's the first month when snow/ice is down and people are dumb about it. trying to claim "oh but snow is like this in the south" is really stupid and dangerous. it's still frozen water on the road, you aren't special, and you have no excuse for not slowing the heck down and being careful

The ground is colder in the north, year round. When the south gets snow, it tends to melt and then freeze when it hits the ground. That leaves a layer of ice under snow should a significant amount fall.

Yes, idiot drivers abound. Here in the south, it's best to wait until the snow melts. It never takes more than a couple of days, and is usually gone in one.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Also, everyone in the snowbelt should be required, by law, to own an AWD vehicle. It's just stupid to do otherwise. I drive a 2005 Subaru Forester stick with 157K on it, and I love that bastard car to death. Snow is just no match.

This is not a well thought out opinion. A FWD car with good snow tires will have much better grip than an AWD car with all-seasons.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

I was working on some wiring on a truck with a dump bed like that. While the bed was raised we put a large piece of wood to hold it up just in case. While working under it, my co-worker lobbed a chunk of metal into the bed. I about poo poo my pants when I heard what I thought was the bed coming down to chop me in half.

Good times!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

You must be new to advertising

Some of the ones I remember:

- That GE coal ad using "16 Tons," a song about how coal mining has ruined the singer's life
- Mercedes-Benz ad using Janis Joplin's song also called "Mercedes-Benz", which is about the futility of consumerism
- Ad for some cruise company that used "Lust for Life", Iggy Pop's song about how great it feels to shoot heroin
- Uncountable GO 'MERICA ads using either "Born in the USA" or "Fortunate Son" (opening line being "some folks are born, made to wave the flag, ooh that red-white-and-blue"), both of which are about the corruption, racism and classism of the Vietnam war
- and my personal favorite, this abomination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGiyQC_t0MY
the original song is called "Look What They've Done To My Song" and it is about the songwriter's inner turmoil as they question selling out to a record industry

Don't forget about Visa using The Smashing Pumpkin's "Today", a song about committing suicide.

https://youtu.be/o0xRtI64yKY

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Johnny Aztec posted:

My first thoughts were Styx, not either of those bands.

That's "Come Sail Away."

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My favorite is how many fireworks displays have been put to "Born in the USA," completely missing the point of the song.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I have to point out because I'm a giant sperg that "code legal" is the absolute bare minimum.

I wish it were. So many people cut corners and do dangerous poo poo that would be safe if they at least made an attempt to do it to code.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

There's a book about it. It's not nearly as gruesome as I expected, but it's pretty heartwrenching to read all the same.

Dude would not have survived, no matter the technology. That amount of radiation exposure pretty much ensures your body will melt down at the cellular level after enough time passes.

Here's some fun reading about idiots messing around with some Cesium: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia_accident

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Hexyflexy posted:

Accidental discharge.

There is no such thing. Negligent discharge is the proper term.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Seriously are these illegal? I've seen TONS of big rig trucks and privately owned dump trucks and poo poo with these stupid spikes on their wheels here in Canada.

I think most of them are plastic caps, not metal. At least, I hope they are...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
This derail sucks.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

Just imagine how many votes he'd get if he changed his name to Kenny.

Right you are, Vic.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Syrian Lannister posted:

This needed more love. I miss MXC

I'm glad someone got it. Your reply made my day.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

True story, my wife bought MXC on DVD years ago. We still bust them out on occasion, they're timeless.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

:five:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

It's like that experiment where they gave spiders drugs and they built messed-up webs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENquPZ45fRY

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
You've never been electrocuted. You've been shocked, but if you are electrocuted then you cannot post :ghost:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Homegrown content:

That guy's about 20 feet up on a broke-rear end pallet that isn't even remotely close to being attached to the forks. He's up there because I refused to do it, because I like not falling to my death.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Tumble posted:

you pussy bitch

he got down safely too didn't he?

Great username/post combo.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Tumble posted:

the rules are if you were too scared to do something, and somebody else did it and returned safely, then you are a big ole wussy boy. it's even in the OSHA guidelines

i don't make the rules i just tells em like they are

I'm cool with this. I don't have to stay at these places, I just do my installation and then move along.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

mostlygray posted:

Everyone I know that was taught that way can't swim for poo poo and have a fear of water. I went to swimming lessons as a kid and they had us jump straight into the deep end. Arms crossed and legs together. I went down 10 feet and had to struggle to get to the surface. Irefused to ever take any more lessons.

I didn't learn to swim until high-school because of it.
I have 4 older brothers (6 to 10 years ahead) and they would do things like take me to the bottom of a pool and hold my arms and legs so I couldn't move, then wait for me to freak out before returning me to the surface.

I'm a really, really strong swimmer because of it. I thought they would really kill me sometimes.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Here's what happens when you leave your boat's motor running while you take a dump and you're deaf and/or stupid and also you are operating near a ferry line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtZJ__8PVDU

check out the boat's name for some bonus :haw:

Wow, that guy got off really lucky there.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Azhais posted:

The best place to acquire fire starting materials!

Take the lint and stuff a bunch of it in an empty toilet paper tube. Now they're free fire starters for camping!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My electricity story is that my stove in my old house had a control panel (all the buttons and the display) that had plastic clips fail so it fell backwards into the housing. I decided to fix it without turning off the oven, figuring it would be 12v at most. I touched something on the panel and got loving lit up, probably by 220V. I fell backwards onto the ground and had some convulsions. Thankfully, that was no permanent damage but I scared the poo poo out of my parents, my wife, and my dog.

I unplugged the unit, zip-tied the loving panel back in place, put everything back together and never touched it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

SpacePig posted:

Was that the one where people actually managed to successfully sue the city and the camera company, and ultimately have them removed from the whole city?

We did that in Charlotte by making it so 90% of the ticket would have to go to education, but an out of state company was making most of the money so the council shut it down instead.