Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

NE Ohio reporting in here.

You learn how to not do this when you're 15 and a half. If not before.

Also NE Ohio here, you'd think people would learn how to drive in the snow and ice considering it happens every year right around the same time, but every year I see people who should definitely know better doing the dumbest things. I can't wait to see what the "4WD means I can drive 70 MPH on ice with bald tires" crowd does this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Swilo posted:

Most people on the planet have precautions in place like road salt, street plows, and practice driving in the conditions.

A bold assertion

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
How not to de-grease your drill chuck

https://i.imgur.com/ZMpd59z.gifv

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Nocheez posted:

I have lived in Northeast Ohio and in North Carolina and the snows are totally different. You just aren't prepared for the ice in the South.

sorry i still think it's because people are short sighted and don't take into account that the same meteorological phenomena produce the same safety hazards regardless of where one is on the globe. i have lived in minnesota for over 20 years and every december we still have an outsized number of crashes compared to the other winter months, because it's the first month when snow/ice is down and people are dumb about it. trying to claim "oh but snow is like this in the south" is really stupid and dangerous. it's still frozen water on the road, you aren't special, and you have no excuse for not slowing the heck down and being careful

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

FuturePastNow posted:

Vertical video warning

Also :nms:

https://streamable.com/os907

The sound 0_0

"Let's see if we can help people!"

You can't help stupid. :(

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
lmao at people doing 40 on ice when visibility is 100 feet at best.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SealHammer posted:

It works great as long as nobody stops or makes rapid speed changes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What's a payload capacity :shrug:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ak Gara posted:

"Let's see if we can help people!"

You can't help stupid. :(

They could have busted out the road flares that errbody should keep in your trunk and run parallel to the road at a safe distance and then either started flagging or chucked the flares out into the traffic lanes? Anything to increase visibility or reaction time

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

`Nemesis posted:

How not to de-grease your drill chuck

https://i.imgur.com/ZMpd59z.gifv

What happened here that caused that drill(?) to spontaneously combust?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zipperelli. posted:

What happened here that caused that drill(?) to spontaneously combust?

Sometimes stupidity is flammable.

He sprayed flammable, conductive liquid into an electric motor, and then applied electricity to it.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

He sprayed flammable, conductive liquid into an electric motor, and then applied electricity to it.

Good lord. What a dipshit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Powershift posted:

that's why you get brushless tools :smug:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
When he stuck his face down there to blow it out, I expected the battery to explode.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's almost like it doesn't make sense to invest heavily in infrastructure for relatively unlikely events. Chicago can justify a fleet of plows and salt trucks, Atlanta is better off just shutting down for a day or two every few years when the roads ice over.

I think regardless of infrastructure the issue is they don't take 5 seconds to think ice=slick and fly down the highway at 70mph.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

When this happens, your only hope is to floor it, isn't it? If you start braking or trying to correct the slide, you're hosed if I remember it right.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Byzantine posted:

Oh, but when a hurricane hit New York and all the Yankees got buttfucked by weather they're not used to, suddenly it's Serious Business.

It wasn’t actually a hurricane by the time it hit New York. :ssh:

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Deteriorata posted:

It works great as long as nobody stops or makes rapid speed changes.

or a deer doesn't run out into the road, or you don't have a blowout, etc.

or if you don't just spontaneously lose traction in your drive wheels, lol

SealHammer fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 13, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The South will Ice again!

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

SealHammer posted:

I remember seeing the reddit thread when that was posted and it was full to the brim of people completely certain that you shouldn't slow down in those conditions because it's a highway and you're just going to cause an accident if you're going slower than people expect (????????)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

wolrah posted:

Also NE Ohio here, you'd think people would learn how to drive in the snow and ice considering it happens every year right around the same time, but every year I see people who should definitely know better doing the dumbest things. I can't wait to see what the "4WD means I can drive 70 MPH on ice with bald tires" crowd does this year.

Yep, this is very true. When the first snow occurs (we've had snow on Halloween), drivers are completely brain dead about how to drive in 1/2 inch of snow. I've seen it snowing, roads salted and just wet, and people driving 35mph in a 65mph area, freaking out that they'll spin off to their deaths. Folks, seriously, it wasn't too many weeks before when it rained and you all didn't poo poo yourselves. Now, usually by New Year's Day, freeways are moving along just fine with 10" of snow on the pavement, and it's like everyone finally "remembered" how to handle the snow. OK, I'll stop the weather derail, now.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

misguided rage posted:

I remember seeing the reddit thread when that was posted and it was full to the brim of people completely certain that you shouldn't slow down in those conditions because it's a highway and you're just going to cause an accident if you're going slower than people expect (????????)

Well all those stopped trucks were certainly going slower than the people behind them expected...

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

evobatman posted:

When this happens, your only hope is to floor it, isn't it? If you start braking or trying to correct the slide, you're hosed if I remember it right.

Trucks (and electric trailer brakes for cars) have a lever (button for cars) that applies the trailer brakes only.

C.M. Kruger posted:

From the military history thread:

Friar John posted:

Illustration of a cannon accident, from an Upper Rhenish treatise on warfare from ca. 1420-40. I think my favorite part is how the survivor's got his hands on his head, but isn't shouting or crying out. He looks more concerned with having to clean up the mess.

Did the cannon shoot the guy's butt off (between the cannon barrel and the foot)? Also, good of him to get naked before the big event.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Lutha Mahtin posted:

sorry i still think it's because people are short sighted and don't take into account that the same meteorological phenomena produce the same safety hazards regardless of where one is on the globe. i have lived in minnesota for over 20 years and every december we still have an outsized number of crashes compared to the other winter months, because it's the first month when snow/ice is down and people are dumb about it. trying to claim "oh but snow is like this in the south" is really stupid and dangerous. it's still frozen water on the road, you aren't special, and you have no excuse for not slowing the heck down and being careful

The ground is colder in the north, year round. When the south gets snow, it tends to melt and then freeze when it hits the ground. That leaves a layer of ice under snow should a significant amount fall.

Yes, idiot drivers abound. Here in the south, it's best to wait until the snow melts. It never takes more than a couple of days, and is usually gone in one.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

evobatman posted:

I think you just let off the gas and let the wobble Peter out I was hauling a big as gently caress sand hopper with a slightly bent axle when it started wobbling and threatened to tip over. I let off the gas and it stopped, after about 30 seconds of white knuckle driving.

I got back to the shop and told my boss and the mechanic what happened. Next week the other driver flipped it.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Nocheez posted:

The ground is colder in the north, year round. When the south gets snow, it tends to melt and then freeze when it hits the ground. That leaves a layer of ice under snow should a significant amount fall.

Yes, idiot drivers abound. Here in the south, it's best to wait until the snow melts. It never takes more than a couple of days, and is usually gone in one.

I think it's also wrong (and un-OSHA!) to try and ascribe a single point of responsibility. People drive like idiots, some more experienced idiots than others. At the very least, the fact that accidents abound inherently means that people misjudge the conditions and their own capabilities. However, given equal idiocy everywhere, conditions (snow type, pre treatment, vehicle suitability) ate inherently still worse in the South.

People can be idiots AND the conditions can be bad. In fact, both are required for weather-related accidents.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dumb traffic freak outs happen even with just rain when the season arrives. You have a months of no or light rain then it dumps down and everyone forgets how to drive like its the first time this has ever happened in human history. No black ice, just some reduced visibility, a little cold and surface water, nothing slowing down a little won't fix.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

SealHammer posted:

My favourite is when people do that during an ice storm near Montreal and when it ends it looks like a post apocalyptic world with dozens of cars in the ditches frozen all over because Winter tires don't work when you drive on ice covered in water.

It's ok though, we only get those every year so it's easy to see why people don't learn.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Soon Minnesota will have similar weather to North Carolina and you won't have to strain to imagine that the different conditions there might make the frozen water have different characteristics.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nocheez posted:

As someone who lives where snow can be one the ground up to 6 months of the year: bullshit.

The exact same thing happens here. Snow hitting the road melts, if enough falls and it stays cold then that refreezes to ice, and then snow falling on top of that stays as snow. It’s pretty much purely down to infrastructure and how long it hangs around. If you only have to deal with it a day or two every couple of years you just don’t develop the skill because there’s no time to. As pointed out, the north has a ton of accidents at the start of every snowy season too, people just end up relearning the winter driving skills.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

oohhboy posted:

Dumb traffic freak outs happen even with just rain when the season arrives. You have a months of no or light rain then it dumps down and everyone forgets how to drive like its the first time this has ever happened in human history. No black ice, just some reduced visibility, a little cold and surface water, nothing slowing down a little won't fix.

That case is actually worse because you have a huge accumulation of oils on the road soaked into the asphalt that suddenly become displaced, turning it into a slippery hellscape. Supposedly the conditions during the first hour of a heavy rain are far worse than the next hour because of this (as the oil eventually flows off the crowning of the road).

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

As someone who lives where snow can be one the ground up to 6 months of the year: bullshit.

The exact same thing happens here. Snow hitting the road melts, if enough falls and it stays cold then that refreezes to ice, and then snow falling on top of that stays as snow. It’s pretty much purely down to infrastructure and how long it hangs around. If you only have to deal with it a day or two every couple of years you just don’t develop the skill because there’s no time to. As pointed out, the north has a ton of accidents at the start of every snowy season too, people just end up relearning the winter driving skills.

What skill can one learn that lets your tires become unaffected by black ice, allowing you to proceed however you'd like on the incredibly hilly terrain that is the American South's roadway infrastructure? Because as far as I can tell, the best option is "Don't go on the roads, and also hope that your job doesn't fire you for not going on the roads, because they're comparing your inability to leave your home to how New York doesn't shut down in January."

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Takoluka posted:

"Don't go on the roads, and also hope that your job doesn't fire you for not going on the roads, because they're comparing your inability to leave your home to how New York doesn't shut down in January."

Actually, that's a logical assessment. There are plenty of times when we have a "Lake Effect Event" (read, 16 loving inches of snow in 2 hours), that I will purposely avoid certain routes even though I know it's going to take me longer to get to where I'm going. I'm not sure about NY, but the places I work (I'm self employed so I have a bunch of them), are usually really accommodating when the weather is particularly lovely, and you might die trying to get there on time. Also, everyone in the snowbelt should be required, by law, to own an AWD vehicle. It's just stupid to do otherwise. I drive a 2005 Subaru Forester stick with 157K on it, and I love that bastard car to death. Snow is just no match.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Takoluka posted:

What skill can one learn that lets your tires become unaffected by black ice, allowing you to proceed however you'd like on the incredibly hilly terrain that is the American South's roadway infrastructure? Because as far as I can tell, the best option is "Don't go on the roads, and also hope that your job doesn't fire you for not going on the roads, because they're comparing your inability to leave your home to how New York doesn't shut down in January."
The skill where you slow down preemptively in black ice conditions. Hilly terrain isn't exactly unique to the South.

I've driven through an early snowstorm in Pennsylvania on summer tires. It's not fun (well it kind of is), it's slow, but it's possible if you're not being an idiot about it.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Also, everyone in the snowbelt should be required, by law, to own an AWD vehicle. It's just stupid to do otherwise. I drive a 2005 Subaru Forester stick with 157K on it, and I love that bastard car to death. Snow is just no match.
Snow tires should be mandatory, not AWD. AWD only helps you not get stuck and/or get further before getting stuck. Snow tires help you stop and turn better too.

I'm not saying don't *also* get AWD, but proper tires are far more useful. My two 2WD vehicles on snow tires can drive circles around the majority of the people I see here running whatever garbage shipped on their Tahoe.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 13, 2017

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

wolrah posted:

The skill where you slow down preemptively in black ice conditions. Hilly terrain isn't exactly unique to the South.

I've driven through an early snowstorm in Pennsylvania on summer tires. It's not fun (well it kind of is), it's slow, but it's possible if you're not being an idiot about it.

Toss me some advice. Winter is coming up, and if it becomes impossible to leave my apartment complex again, I'll tell everyone stuck at the bottom of the large hill dip to "get better at driving with these super driving tips."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
pretend that you are driving a boat instead of a car

that's the tip

if you haven't driven a boat either then you're SOL i guess

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Also, everyone in the snowbelt should be required, by law, to own an AWD vehicle. It's just stupid to do otherwise. I drive a 2005 Subaru Forester stick with 157K on it, and I love that bastard car to death. Snow is just no match.

This is not a well thought out opinion. A FWD car with good snow tires will have much better grip than an AWD car with all-seasons.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Toss me some advice. Winter is coming up, and if it becomes impossible to leave my apartment complex again, I'll tell everyone stuck at the bottom of the large hill dip to "get better at driving with these super driving tips."

definitely be sure to lock the brakes as soon as there's any sign of slippage. You'll be fine.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Speed is the biggest factor. You absolutely can't do the speed limit in snow, even less so in genuinely icy conditions. I live in a very hilly area in southeast PA, and people just sort of learn to modulate their speed to the conditions. Not everybody does, mind you. There are drivers everywhere that will drive the same, regardless of the condition (see: That gif, which apparently is in Michigan, where every driver there should know better), but most people who live with it more often just learn to deal. Hell, there are people in western PA that'll make fun of the way eastern PA people drive in the snow because they get more by merit of being nearer to the mountains.

e: Getting up a hill is a different story. You might have to find different paths to work if you're that bad off on a hill. Maybe try to find some designated snow emergency routes, if you have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

We were driving up through Virginia on 95 and got caught in a surprisingly quick snowstorm (like it started just south of DC and was inches by the time we were on the beltway). It was about as dangerous as what's depicted in that gif.

Everyone drove 15mph and left some distance between cars (though less than I would have preferred) and it was fine.

The problem is people assuming the speed limit is the gauranteed safe speed, not the maximum under ideal conditions.