Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Humphreys posted:

The hackaday.com comments on it are a lot more harsh when it comes to looking into it too much. So you are fine. A favourite comment talked about if he ditched it sideways the pylons holding the motors would bend or snap and cut him up nicely.

Actually there isn't any really good way out of crashing or getting into that thing.

This is true of helicopters as well... anything with exposed blades spinning at a high speed I would guess has extreme danger attached with crashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

A significant portion of the population, while not outright colorblind, does have issues distinguishing between certain hues of colors, which is what those specific images show. I couldn't read the numbers at all and I'm definitely not colorblind, but I ran across this exact scenario in a class, maybe biology, in highschool, and over half the class couldn't see those specific images, whereas I think we only had 1-2 actual colorblind people in class.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Platystemon posted:

This is a good test for distinguishing fine differences in shade.

Lord, I tried to do this, I got about halfway through and my eyes started crossing, it seems decent enough, but it's too much to handle at once, perhaps if each "bar" of color was a different page, but the drat blocks started breathing and colors meshing together, it was too much for my brain to handle at once.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Volcott posted:

Yeah, it's called .22LR.

When I was a wee lad we had a single squirrel keep tearing up the lawn furniture padding to get the stuffing, I would guess for a nest or whatever squirrels do. So, what did we, as red blooded gun owning americans? Sat on a windowsill on the second floor of the house with a .22LR and killed that sucker dead. One shot got it as soon as it started walking away with its prize. We lived in the suburbs pretty close to chicago, our house is probably 75' to one neighbor and 40' to another, yeah I'm pretty sure they heard the crack of the rifle, but no cops came, so maybe they chalked it up to something else.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Missile silos are the best place to make drugs!

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/wamego-lsd-missile-silo

MF_James
May 8, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Crash tests are fun to watch, but sometimes they can be scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3G-kcKN70

Try not to crash into the back of a semi.

This is an old post, but yeah there was a car that "rearended" a semi-truck not long ago on the highway just outside my work. The car didn't so much rear end the truck, as it did slide under the truck as the truck acted like a can opener, for both the top of the car and the driver's head. 60mph collisions are uhh fun, I guess at least the dude died quickly?

*edit*

Posted this before I saw the next 10 pages of car vs rear end of truck and truck vs bridge discussions.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 10, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Potential BFF posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZKanq8fwR4&t=31s

Looks like a slag pot straight up falls off. Steam explosions ain't nothin to gently caress with.

Сука indeed.

Lol I watched with no sound from the start, and this was my impression of the guy holding the camera:

:stare: Hmm this looks like it will be interesting, but I'm going to back up a few feet

15 seconds goes by

:stare: Nothing yet... but I better back up a few more feet...

15 seconds more and thing explodes

:derp: RUN AWAY!!!!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn-XnwHvcQ4

They were supposed to dump the slag (waste from smelting) down a slope.

Instead, a large quantity of very hot slag suddenly came in contact with water, which flashed to steam and caused a steam explosion.

Have you ever added water to hot oil in the kitchen? It’s like that, but on a grand scale.

e: I think Potential BFF is right and the pot fell right off the car.

Yeah it looked like it starting falling about 10-15 seconds in, and then made it the rest of the way just prior to the fun show.

*edit* oh it was already mostly fallen by the time the video started, it just took 20-30 seconds to go the rest of the way.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I'm in Canada and I didn't even know winter tires were a thing until recently :)
I drove in the snow for the first time in my life today in my little honda fit with all-season tires. It was fun. If you jam the breaks on you kinda slide in what ever direction you were going and a light comes on on your dash. It took me all of 5 seconds to figure out power = control and to maybe go a bit slower and take corners easier due to the ice on everything.

I saw lots of people going full speed and skidding into other lanes, and people laying on the horn when people weren't accelerating or driving as aggressively as they would in the middle of summer.

I'm a bit surprised that happens in Canada... that poo poo happens here in Chicago, but I figured you guys live in snow like 50% of the year so people would not be as stupid, but I guess stupid really does know no bounds.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Wait, is that gasoline she's cleaning her windshield with?

I had to watch it a few times, I thought it was a water hose. Ok, I see everyone commented on that arleady.

Jerry Cotton posted:

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHAWWouch

I like how the person in the white truck stops shortly after the black truck goes flying over the hill, I can only imagine the person was thinking "What the gently caress? Did I just see that?"

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 8, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Lemon posted:

Doesn't anaesthetic in general have that variable effect? I remember the only time I had general when I woke up I had a bit of a freakout. My old boss had a general and apparently when he woke up he started getting violent so they just knocked his rear end out again.

Pretty much all medicine is like that! That's why there are 10 different meds that do the "same" thing, because some people react a certain way to 1, but not the same to another.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

zedprime posted:

The famous example is entire male lines of farming families dying off chasing each other into the pig poo poo. It has all the basic ingredients for confined spaces training points. One guy is mucking out a shithole, or trying to grab something out of the shitlake and is overcome by SO2. He may have even thought ahead and has his son or brother watching. The watcher then chases them in and is overcome themselves, repeating until the whole family has tried it out and fallen in.

Which highlights the basic pieces of confined space safety: you need basic mitigation for the worker, such as LOTO in the case of powered or piped equipment, and every best effort made to remove any hazards such as washing out equipment first, forced air movement, and testing for O2 and toxic gases. For something like a shitlake you'll need first line PPE like a facemask compatible with SO2 for example. Outside the immediate work area you need a watcher who can raise alarm if something bad happens and can monitor basic behavior but won't try to affect rescue and you need a rescue method involving people and equipment not related to the watcher or the worker such as tow lines. If rescue involves entering you basically need a hazwoper team suited up and standing by.

Wrap a piece of rope around the poo poo diver and around his partner, pull REALLY loving HARD if poo poo diver becomes overwhelmed.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

That link confuses me. He got a license cancellation for 2 years but that somehow translates to 78 years?

His license was already revoked or whatever they call it in kangaroo land.

thearticle posted:

Nathaniel Barker, 78, was given a three-month suspended sentence on Monday after pleading guilty to repeatedly driving while disqualified.

so his license was already revoked, and he's been arrested before for doing so and probably gotten an extension on his revoked status, and this last time was an extra 2 years added on to whatever he already had.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

In Soviet Russia, death is you!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Headlines that make you cringe: " Steel bar pierces workman’s scrotum and ends up in his abdomen"
With bonus X-ray picture of the offending rod.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/27/steel-bar-pierces-workmans-scrotum-and-ends-up-in-his-abdomen-6346340/

Holy gently caress, it didn't really hit me until I saw the picture of him in the hospital with a loving piece of rebar sticking out of the front/bottom of his pants, jesus christ.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah, oversized tires are loving scary. I drove a 10-ton truck for my families concrete leveling business, driving around chicago and I got something like a railroad spike that pierced a front tire, happened to be a tire place half a block down. They didn't have any tires that would fit the vehicle, but I was only trying to drive like 3-4 blocks away, so they offered to try to patch and fill it. Patching went fine, but when they went to fill it the fucker exploded, thank god no one got injured.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

that's not a dummy?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

This is beautiful and insane.

JB50 posted:

It looks like the guy could have lifted it and let her drive through. Judging by the time theyre probably both drunk, so all bets are off.

THis is EXACTLY what I was thinking, but.. what's weird is... the car is THROUGH the security gate, then they go back through it to flip the car. WHICH SIDE DO THEY WANT TO BE ON!?!?!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I'm the tire that fell off the trailer at 9seconds.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

http://i.imgur.com/Dv1phKn.mp4

there's a guy napping on the dock

This is loving amazing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

gently caress, Iw as going to post this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Liston

quote:

Liston's most famous case
Amputated the leg in under 2 1⁄2 minutes (the patient died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene; they usually did in those pre-Listerian days). He amputated in addition the fingers of his young assistant (who died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene). He also slashed through the coat tails of a distinguished surgical spectator, who was so terrified that the knife had pierced his vitals he dropped dead from fright.

That was the only operation in history with a 300 percent mortality.

— Richard Gordon[23]

MF_James
May 8, 2008

fuckingtest posted:

More OSHA Florida Fun: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/01/24/kendall-van-fire-leads-to-questions-about-illegal-gas-distribution/?e=v-G8g87qPgOnTw

Summary: Firefighters arrive to van on fire, you almost witness two being engulfed as the van happens to be full of gasoline. Why would a van be full of gasoline? you ask?

Seems like someone was stealing it and illegally (obviously) driving it around in (what looks like) 1 or 2 - 330 Gallon IBC's.

Is this loving always sunny?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

neonbregna posted:

D.C. Is also the cool and chill form of electric current you can smoke weed with. A.C. is sentient and hates all forms of life.

Thanks Thomas Edison, if you hadn't hosed over Tesla things could be better :(

MF_James
May 8, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

This is a real video? It loks fake as heck like from a bad made for tv disaster movie

It's probably an old cell phone camera or the video is actually much older and was only uploaded in 2008.

Yeah, it's from 2002.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

It's also very hard to inspect what you can't see. If there were no stress fractures or anything to indicate that the foundation of the spillway has been compromised, there's not much you can do about it.

I am all for being proven wrong by people that know more than me though

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I feel evil for saying it, but I'd love to see that 30' of water get dumped.

It would suck for everyone in the way, but god drat would the video be amazing to watch.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I would say this isn't an issue of conservatives vs liberals, conservatives were warned 12 years ago, how many liberals have been in office since then? They could have easily done something during the time they were in office.

The reality is, there's a "nothing has gone wrong, so let's assume things will be fine", so money gets funneled elsewhere no matter who is in office (someone's pocket)

MF_James
May 8, 2008

IPCRESS posted:

You might trot out penetrating RADAR to look for voids (and core movement), but you would be unlikely to do that unless you suspected something was amiss. Usually, you'd use a theodolite to check the run of the spillway (as well as the dam crest, wall and toe) to look for movement as part of a regular inspection (note: not the sum total of the inspection), and leave it at that until fracturing/spalling was observed.

They missed an opportunity here to tell people that the saddle and emergency spillway was actually a fuse plug. A fuse plug is a part of a dam engineered to fail early to protect the main dam, typically (but not always) built into the crest of the spillway.

I'll be interested if the repairs effected in 2013 included stitching between the spillway walls and floor.

Yeah I figured GPR would be too much effort for them to expend. Also, depending on how thick the concrete is, you might not get anything useful from using GPR; I could be incorrect, but I believe it has a fairly limited distance (like 1.5m) through concrete.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The people standing there are dumb, and the guy getting hit in the head with the wheel proves why, not every pilot is going to hit that approach perfect and will come in low at some point.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

JB50 posted:

needs more blood.

"Wtf did all the blood come from, why is there a hole in the middle of the chairrrrr...... oh poo poo, my rear end in a top hat just puckered like its never puckered before"

my thought process on that pic.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I would watch this sport.

You fucker, this is exactly what I thought when I saw this. What the gently caress is this contraption? It seems similar to the stand-up riding lawnmowers that all the lawn care companies use, but uhhh I doubt it's just some more dangerous rice field version.

Maybe some sort of tiller or aerator? I see what looks like a rotating blade on the bottom.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 22, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh, someone drilled into a pipe. Bit of water coming up, no big deal. Hey, why does this video have another 30 seconds?

:stare:

Haha that's quite the low spot there.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

well that was something

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Not wearing a flight suit, that's a fine.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Moey posted:

You didn't go to high school in a Chicago suburb did you?

I did! I know who you're talking about.. probably, was he a gym teacher that also was the coach for waterpolo/swimming?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Moey posted:

Well, when I knew him he was a Tech teacher at a Jr High and wrestling coach. Also taught building trades a few years later for the Highschool above said Jr High.

Oh different guy then, I went to a catholic high school and afaik he was always a swim type dude, but he definitely only had a thumb and forefinger

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Moey posted:

Ha, yeah, our guy was missing the majority of fingers. Same style accident.

Whenever he shook your hand, he would also always rub your palm with one of his nubs just to try and creep you out.

haha this guy did the same. I also used to keep our construction equipment at an auto shop, the guy was an old machinist and was missing his ring and middle fingers from a metal press incident if i recall correctly and he would do the same thing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

The best bathroom situation is F&Ms in new orleans, they have a piss trough that rounds the whole room except the toilet which is just to the left of the door when you walk in (the whole room is like 12x12'), the door opens outward into the bar. I was extremely drunk at Mardi Gras one year and pissing in the trough, the door opened and the whole bar got a nice view of my junk. That's my "Door opens outward for the bathroom" story.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

They got good cheese fries, but your night has been a real shitshow if you end up there at 4 am eating cheese fries.

That's exactly when we were there, and we did get cheese fries, but continued to party until like 3 or 4pm the next day, I believe there was a trip to The Boot where we met the kicker (at the time) for the Saints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

Yeah i know, so annoying. But Its not on AJE's youtube channel so what can you do

Watch out for the black ice.