Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jesus Christ posted:

I'm completely confused as to what his approach is. Have no idea what the city but is that normal there for general aviation? o_O

That's probably normal for someone who is about to have their pilot license suspended, assuming they even have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is coming in from the water side even more dangerous or what? Seems like that would give you a lot more room.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Here, have some freaky PSAs on this very topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwCyVku1HvI

Knew what this was before I even clicked on it :canada:

They still freak me out to this day but god drat if they didn't make me take a more critical eye to my workplace.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Don't you pretty much never want to actually induce vomiting? Or is that to maybe protect the first aider from sticking their hand down the throat of someone potentially random.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

And people say dual wielding is unrealistic.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Remember kids: Never wear your seatbelt in a forklift because otherwise you're going to loving burn to death.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I love the flinch at the end. Turns out your eyelid doesn't protect you from all aspects of ramming something into your eye socket.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Obsurveyor posted:

:eyepop:

:downsgun:: "Oh, it actually loaded another cartridge... that is good to know"

"Huh, this gun did what it was designed to do. That is so cool!"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm the guy who nearly trips into the pile of broken bricks at the end.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rollers can apparently loving move if they want to.

"I have no idea what this is, I wonder what the big deal i-:stare:"

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 21, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hey, as long as it's been sanitized.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Autonomous trucks will never take off because the business model of on-rubber transport industry is entirely based on (figuratively and sometimes literally) cutting corners and taking ridiculous risks and robots can't do that.

The biggest of both of those is driver on-duty time though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If it was possible for the water jet to flip the car back over for it to drive away like nothing that would have been perfect.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bar Crow posted:

The lack of safety ensures he will only ever have one accident.

That would be a hilarious actual reason behind "helmets are actually more dangerous" stats. People wearing helmets get into more accidents because they're still alive to get into more accidents.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't quite tell but it doesn't seem like the top of the ladder is leaning against anything nor does it seem bottom of the ladder is against the wall under the railing so I want to know what they used to brace that, and what they tied it to.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Christ, if that sign hadn't been there I can't imagine what that would have done to the bridge.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

a kitten posted:

Not what i expected and very good.

Yeah, it's like "Pulling a tree stump out with a regular car bumper? Pshaw, this is some predictable rear end poo poo in the OSHA thr--"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I've never been so disappointed to not see a safety railing fall apart and people fall two stories.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Given the video itself I suppose the other thing to remember about more heavy duty forklifts is that your rear end, no matter how fat, isn't going to hold down poo poo if the backend wants to go up. Impossible to know what the counterweight in that lift actually was I guess (and it looked like a short but sudden drop of the front end played a part too) but the forklift I use was smaller than that one and has a 5,000 lb counterweight. Assuming they could even fit I could add maybe another fifth of that weight if every other employee we have around regularly climbed aboard. If a forklift is moving at all in literally any direction, whether that's a direction it should be moving in or not, there is basically nothing you can do to stop it..

Stay away from forklifts in motion or lifting things, people.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DiHK posted:

That's what I don't get. Did they just not have ANY training? Do they not know that their piddly 300lbs hasn't got poo poo on a 2500 ton forklift.

It's impossible to not sound like a dick saying this but given the language characters in the video date/time stamps I'd would say that its pretty likely no one involved had any proper training about forklifts beyond the lifting part at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kennel posted:

Plus it's very easy to make stupid decisions in split-second situations.

Of course, I can hardly fault someone for something like that, but that's not the part I mean. Proper training for everyone there would have meant there wasn't anyone near that forklift, much less on the back of it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

I have read about people being "gobsmacked," but never thought I'd actually see it. That ref.

Where they gently caress they all running off to?

Is it me or does the ref take his whistle out of his mouth only to mouth "Wow!" before putting it back in and running off for help?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

I'm a car toucher and once had someone ask me to look at their Nissan pickup truck cause they said the brake lights didn't work anymore. I asked if they changed the bulbs, and they insisted that wasn't the issue. Three new bulbs later and the brake lights mysteriously worked again. They had been driving for WEEKS without working brake lights by this point.

https://i.imgur.com/2tHjTDE.gifv

If only they had someone weighing down the back of the crane.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Azhais posted:

Probably, had he noticed he likely would have gone back to finish the job.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...it_china_s.html

Pretty sure this article, if not proven irrevocably false, has had so much shade thrown on it that its veracity is very, very much in doubt. The same has apparently been said about basically all other eastern and south-eastern Asian cultures so I think its a pretty good bet by this point this is just another "You wouldn't believe what those wacky [Asian culture] do now!" click-bait.

Snakes are great.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mistle posted:

You could hop in the China thread and read all about how those kinds of trucks are efficient roadkill makers and how that article exaggerates very little, if anything at all.

IIRC, it's a cultural notion of "only the guilty feel remorse" and the antithesis of anything "good samaritan": if you help someone who was mugged, it's probably because you mugged them and felt guilty about it afterward.

There's a pretty big difference between certain kinds of trucks being especially deadly if they hit a person and a few hundred million drivers all being ready, willing, and able to grind someone into the pavement.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mistle posted:

I think you underestimate the forethought of Chinese drivers. It's not that they plan to go all Twisted Metal the moment they get behind a wheel, but that they see no moral conflict in re-running over a person repeatedly and using plausible deniability to avoid both lifetime injury payments and criminal intent jail time in exchange for a relative slap on the wrist and a one-time fine. A lot of it is instilled culture and common knowledge through community experience, like manners, rude gestures, the open/closed mouth when eating, and so on.

EDIT: Those trucks? They don't have to throw it into reverse, you catch one, you're done, basically.

I'm not saying that China doesn't have a massive deficit in road safety compared to North America due to things like cultural attitude, regulatory differences, car designs, or just regular inexperience in a car-based system. Nor am I saying that incidents described in the one article that gets linked over and over again didn't happen. What I'm saying is that in a nation with as many drivers as there are people in the USA an article saying the prevailing attitude of Chinese drivers is "Welp, better finish them off!" is probably not accurate, at best. Especially when combined with the demonstrable ability of western media to take stupid poo poo some bored teenagers did in Bumfuck, Nowhere in their own countries and hype it up as if it were some kind of emerging degenerate trend in our children.

Serephina posted:

loving oath, that's in Auckland, wonder which crossing? Bloody idiot girl, those sirens are loud

Sirens are loud, I guess the train wasn't!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ruflux posted:

This totally goes for even tiny spiders. I was recently moving a spider outside and it wasn't having any of that poo poo so it started lifting its front legs and swatting at my finger. Earned a trip down the toilet with those shenanigans, that one. :mad:

Don't feel too bad because I believe that most spiders that you can find inside your house are pretty likely to die anyways if you move them outside.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not really sure why that CSB video looks like the result of budget cuts. It's not the full report and when compared to the some of the other incidents they cover this one wasn't the result of problems arising in a single area from a single person but a site-wide series of events that none of the employees could have stopped with the equipment, procedures, and training they had. There's no point in showing the people, forklifts, or trucks moving at ground level because there were no problems with any of that. The problem was the floodwater spreading across the plant and reaching the generators and the truck refrigerators. There's no need to show someone driving a forklift through the flood.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mistle posted:

A facility had its hazardous stored components catch fire/explode and put the surrounding areas at risk. This is exactly what the CSB was designed to review.

I can tell you that hospitals put their generators and reserve power on the roofs/upper floors to prevent a ground flood from disrupting emergency treatment/care. While difficult to perfectly waterproof a high voltage system, you can place them off the ground to prevent them from being easily hit by anything but full catastrophe flood events. Not easy or cheap, but safety seldom is, especially when "explosions" are a not-rare part of your "what if" scenarios.

I'm not arguing about why they made the video :v:

Just that it seems some people think that because this video wasn't a ground level animation of a specific incident with models of people it means that it's lower budgeted than their previous videos. Whether it is because of a lower budget or not, however, this incident required a different scale to show adequately.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DiHK posted:

Yeah I get that but how the hell does the van not see the enormous hauler?

They might have briefly stopped not expecting it to move or something like that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Now use your dick.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"Eh, he'll be fine."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Serak posted:

gently caress now I wanna see someone animate this

I think that's a movie called The Final Countdown.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Do the Worst Driver shows count?

Netherlands' Worst Driver contestant accidentally hits the gas instead of the brake. He reacts by shutting his eyes as hard as he can and freezing up. It doesn't end well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvckBJP8QPU

I'd say deliberately putting, for any reason, anyone anywhere in front of a car driven by someone explicitly known as a bad driver is pretty OSHA.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

spankmeister posted:

The idea of the show is to coach those people to be better drivers, and most of the participants do show a lot of improvement.

Not this guy though.

Right but you probably shouldn't put the host and a cameraman in front of the participants while that happens.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bet that guy sitting behind the left side is glad that was inflatable.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

It's been going on for ages. Here's a story from 2011 when thieves basically ruined a Youth Football League.

https://patch.com/california/dixon/stolen-copper-wire-could-leave-dixon-youth-football-in-the-dark

On one hand, sure that sucks but on the other hand it stopped people from playing football so I think overall this was a positive.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Shoes didn't come off, good job with the shoelaces.

Wheel did though. RIP bike.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'd say this is a great idea but it still probably won't work on the people it is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wow, that flashing green is weird. In some countries (Canada, for one...maybe just Quebec? It's the only part of Canada I've driven in) a flashing green is a "protected green" and is the same as a green left turn arrow in the states, i.e. no one will be coming from the other direction, so just go on through, you have right of way.

That may just be Quebec because here in Vancouver a flashing green light is an intersection that will always be green for traffic going straight through unless a pedestrian presses the button to cross. If you're turning left you'll still have to wait for cars from the opposite direction.