Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Pyroclastic posted:

I'm not sure what's worse. Drowning in a lake of poo poo, or drowning(?) in a scalding hot spring. One's about as gross as you can get, the other has to be utterly agonizing.

Man falls into hot spring at Yellowstone. As of the writing of the story, his body has been literally stewing in the spring at least a day because it's just too dangerous to get him.

Stay on the goddamn boardwalks!

And NPR had just done an interview with a few Park Rangers who were worried something exactly like this was going to happen due to people's new obsession with taking selfies with bears/moose/hot scalding lakes of water. The Rangers were saying that lately they are spending more time keeping animals safe from people now and not the other way around.

quote:

Four guys recorded in this YouTube video walked off of the boardwalk at Yellowstone's Grand Prismatic Spring, the largest hot spring in the U.S., to pose for pictures at the edge of the water. They run a channel on YouTube called High on Life where pictures like this are the norm. Part of their stick, if you will, is they took photographs of the warning signs and were literally ridiculing the warning signs. So they got it, they understood, but they willfully chose to ignore.

Zil fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Hedenius posted:

The Russians actually do have helicopters with ejection seats. The rotor blades have explosive bolts on them because it is indeed a bad idea to eject the pilot through the spinning rotor.

Not if you time it right.:pseudo:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Humphreys posted:

The erect penis really makes that art.

But the art is not encouraging safe riding at all, neither head is wearing a helmet. :colbert:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

So never saw the driver jump off, did I just watch someone become barbecue?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Just to make sure I understand what is going on here, is that a helicopter with a tree saw dangling from a pipe/stiff cable?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Thanks, I knew they used saws and other things from helicopters, but did not expect the saw to be that large or used so close to transmission lines.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

AnalTech? Who thought that was a good idea?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Poor translation.

It’s not actually a hurricane.

In the US would most likely be called a Microburst

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Obsurveyor posted:

Miniature version of what Yellowstone is going to do some time between now and an eon or so.

All that bear and moose poop mixed with hot lava flung for miles around. Not a bad way to go out.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Two inches? Try more than 3 feet in the closest states. The entire southern 50 will be covered by ash to some extent as well as large chunks of Canada and Mexico, plunging pretty much most of the continent into the equivalent of nuclear winter.

http://www.livescience.com/20714-yellowstone-supervolcano-eruption.html

Huh the one natural disaster that Miami would not be affected by. Of corse by the time Yellowstone goes, Miami would most likely be underwater completely like a modern day Atlantis.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also everyone from the entire rest of the country will now have to live in Miami and the tip of Texas, which is also where you'll be doing pretty much all of your farming. :v:

gently caress that, that part of Texas is a shithole. Would rather head to the mountains in Mexico.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Wait inflammable means it's flammable? What a crazy world.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

ulmont posted:

inflammable means something is capable of being inflamed (in the older meaning of set on fire). Similar to enraged, enbittered, enfeebled, embossed, etc.

flammable was a back-formation later after everyone realized inflammable was a bad idea.

These days you should only ever use either flammable or nonflammable.

https://youtu.be/Q8mD2hsxrhQ

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Jeoh posted:

Fuel works for everything

So what is her endgame here? Gas to get a little dust off or does she want a bitchin trail of flame behind her while driving?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

this person is driving the same roads you are, going to work at the same time you are

That is the passenger seat of a Med student or someone who works a second job overnight.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Why do I have a feeling that the outside will be found to be that highly flammable Chinese made aluminum cladding?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

wallaka posted:

I think you'll find that it's actually aluminium.

drat brits and their obsession with adding extra vowels. :argh:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Three-Phase posted:

Even if that water is only like a foot deep that's a hell of a lot of weight on that balcony...

4 feet by 15 feet with one foot depth of water is like 3600 pounds!

Either the builder of the apartments built way over code, or that was taken moments before the inevitable took place.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Died as he lived, with stiff wood between his legs.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Three-Phase posted:

Yeah I was gonna come back and add a note to my post there.

But people have done some really batshit stuff that wasn't a joke.

It is very similar to rule 34 of the internet: if you can imagine it, someone has tried it to fix a problem cheaply like that.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

EVIL Gibson posted:

No, Bob. I don't care if that glass is tempered in the ovens of Vulcan and NASA paid for it. One thing I like thinking of and not ever experiencing is "Man, I wonder how it's like for the horse in The Cell".

gently caress you for making me remember that scene :cry: also an added gently caress for making me remember that terrible movie. :barf:

Edit for content:

Zil fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 2, 2017

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah that sounds like something that leaves "incompatible with life" style injuries.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Sure nothing bad will happen here.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Jesus Christ posted:

The original JO crystal

It is even Biaxial in its optical properties

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Will he still be drugged out of his mind and operating on 3 hours of sleep?

For a second I thought you were talking about the AI, then I began to wonder what their drugs would be like.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Skinny King Pimp posted:

"Why can't they just drink like two bottles of water a day instead of ten? We shouldn't run out of water so quickly."

This is Texas. It is July. They are working outside for 10 hours a day.

Sounds like someone just volunteered to be in charge of water rationing at the work site.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

May not be strictly OSHA, but could see it leading to unsafe shenanigans.

Tesla Gun

quote:

The Tesla Gun is a totally self-contained, portable lightning machine consisting of a backpack providing battery storage, CPU and power supply circuits along with a pistol grip mounted Tesla coil capable of producing nearly 6-foot (2-meter) spark lengths.

The power supply circuitry is water-cooled and capable of continuous run times of several minutes up to several hours in non-continuous operation.

The gun can be used to ignite Hydrogen-filled balloons for a nice bang, or directed into a grounded rod to roast marshmallows or hot dogs.

At lower power levels the sparks aren't painful and those brave enough can actually touch them.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Powershift posted:

They throw their hands up and say "well, the time and effort it will take to save this moron could cost the lives of more valuable people." and walk away.

aaaaaaaah just kidding.

The next Terminator looking good.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Splode posted:

The improvised level crossing is a very advanced railway technique

Guess there was a pipe there and they couldn't lower the road or railway. :shrug:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

It's not a coincidence that the first domed stadium was built in Houston. They have to have some Little League games at 5 AM to get them in before it gets hot.

Houston, like Phoenix, is one of those cities that was built by the hubris of man to defy to laws of nature.

Houston will prepare you Sous Vide style while Phoenix will just turn you into jerky.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Spatial posted:

Open the hatchback doors, Hal.

:awesomelon:"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

:)"What's the problem?"

:awesomelon:"I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do."

:)"What are you talking about, HAL?"

:awesomelon:"This leather interior is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

:)"I don't know what you're talking about, HAL. "

:awesomelon:"I know that you and Frank were planning to use me to haul his disgusting futon, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Slugworth posted:

All these cuts to the military budget are outrageous. I'd be more than willing to pay higher taxes if it meant we could install rudders on our warships.

Or if not that, thicker hulls so we can ram and plow through anything in our way.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

"What, the ice is in a bag. No way water could come in direct contact with the wires/current. What do you mean condensation? What does the outside of my beer can have to do with this situation?"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

jetz0r posted:

Grocery stores around here have dry ice for a few dollars a pound. Definitely not hard to get a hold of that.

That is until the local kids discover dry ice bombs and hurt themselves or someone else.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Skinny King Pimp posted:

This happened to a major highway for evacuees leaving Houston and Beaumont during Harvey. For some reason the contractor had already dumped like truckloads of loose gravel all over the road they were supposed to be resurfacing which is already horrible in torrential rain, then by Wednesday morning there was tar all over the place. There's still tar on the roads in town.

But how cool would it be to know that you probably lost everything that you couldn't fit in your car and you were just trying to get to family in Nacogdoches or Shreveport so you could regroup and all of a sudden your car is ruined? Good job lovely contractor, way to go. Enjoy the lawsuits from the insurance companies.

So standard lowest bidder Texan road paving/repair/construction as usual?

:( One day mopac will be done, one day.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

I assume there was an impressive amount of speed to achieve that. Also a pretty good story for the unemployment line.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Humphreys posted:

The easy fix is to now weld the fork into the post then grind the excess off.

Groverwarehous

That is upper management material thinking, someone promote this man.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

It's Florida, just another day.

So your saying it's loaded with meth or just on its way to repair an exploded lab?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

If the had been wearing their safety goggles and hazmat vest they would have been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011