Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

OSHA success story:

That reminds me of the stories my dad used to tell me about Oil construction in the 70's and 80's in Scotland. Except it was a scaffolding clip and the guy wasn't wearing a helmet so got brain damaged instead as the clip took off part of his skull. Hard hats are important.

I'll try to find and scan in the photo of my dad rowing a boat 100ft below the North Sea, it's OSHA because he's not wearing his respirator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Either rig-working in the north-east or shipbuilding in the south-west of Scotland would have enough terrifying OSHA stories to fuel an entire thread on their own. Because basically every man of working age in Scotland worked in either one or the other.

For example, my grandpa was a shipbuilder, and witnessed more than a couple of guys having structural steel rivets being made permanent parts of their anatomy or losing other parts of their anatomy to rivet guns.

Yeah my dad worked the rigs for a couple of years and got weather delayed getting off a rig which caused him to miss a flight which crashed in Sumburgh killing a lot of people he knew, that's when he gave it up. He worked at Ardyne and Nigg as well. He went to the much safer environment of a a massive Oil refinery which has asbestos matting covering the ground in some areas because the ground is flammable and if it caught fire they wouldn't be able to put it out. A few deaths later and he decided that perhaps giving up work to look after the kids was a better plan. It's always an adventure to find out if the hilarious workplace story is going to end up with someone permanently maimed/killed or not.

quote:

Rowing a boat underwater does sound pretty OSHA.

It was in the legs of oil rigs, you can row little boats about inside them for checking on stuff. Sounded fun.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This is the one he was on mostly

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Karma Monkey posted:

I always think of this movie when I see these things. :)

Apparently they thought it was hilarious to screen the Poseidon Adventure in the cinema the day before the boat came sometimes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Ya she's all right.

Quote from this morning.

"I need to find pants that are less dirty.'

"Just to clarify, you don't mean actually clean, right?"

"Haha ya clean pants are a myth"

I'm going to assume in this anecdote you mean american pants.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bacon Taco posted:

Were they trying to jump over the wall to get away from the fire, like it was a rabid dog that the wall would contain?

I'm not 100% sure they could be considered to be thinking straight. In fact it looks like what they did was pretty much the intended outcome. The ground is already on fire before he throws more petrol on it, it just looks like they decided to burn everything.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

The fire on the ground is post-stupid. The gas can catches fire from the flare-up and he hurls flaming gasoline on the ground and his friend’s leg as he tries to toss it.

The fire behind him sure, but the ground under the fire pit is already on fire at the start.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

klafbang posted:

You can swallow it as long as it is not too much. Friend of mine swallowed a bit and was burping all night. Another friend swallowed too much and spent a couple of days in the hospital with an almost ruptured stomach. Liquid nitrogen gets a lot bigger when it returns to the gas state.

Sorry, going back a bit. How do you know not 1 but 2 people who have drunk liquid nitrogen?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

My dad used to be a pipe fab for oil rig construction and one of his abiding memories was someone dropped a scaffolding clips off the side of the rig and it fell 100ft and it clipped a guy on the back of head, shearing the back of his skull off. Wear safety hats.

He's also got lots of OHSA stories about welding guys into pipes who had fallen asleep in them etc. Lots of fun.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

How many of those stories ended with someone dying horribly?

Not 'that' many. The guy who lost the back of his skull didn't die either, he just didn't do very well either. Most of the death were from air crashes at Sumburgh etc. The airport used to close at night so if the helicopter was delayed folk would get in their cars and make a circle of headlamps to land the helicopter in, pretty sure that's not OSHA.

My dad was supposed to be on the Dan Air flight that crashed at Sumburgh but someone else with the same surname took his seat and he got bumped to the next day. That's when he decided to stop working on the rigs.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 25, 2019

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

Could be on the lowest setting and made harder by adding weight.

Then why use the dip assist machine to begin with?

Probably the only suitable place to do dips in the gym. Doing weighted dips on an assisted dip machine is pretty common.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

This is like my go to example of why anyone that says 'but if we have enough tests, there will be no bugs!' is fundamentally wrong.

The Therac-25 was the case study we did at University to learn the importance of not only testing but knowing what you're testing.

Also see the Ariana launch disaster caused by cheaping out on thier Ada compiler.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

I grew up in PEI and it is absolutely not British there, culturally.

Hmm sounds exactly like something someone in Britain would say.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Phanatic posted:

They also never ticket pedestrians for jaywalking.

https://vimeo.com/24572222

There's a lot more to blame there than cars and cops.

One of my friends got arrested in the US because he didn't know Jaywalking was even a thing and when the cop asked him his name he told him, Jay Walker. That was it, in the back of the car and down to the station.

On the topic of autonomous cars I live in Edinburgh and jaywalkig isn't a thing here and it couldn't be because of how the city is laid out. Pedestrians have right of way over cars at all times. The cars would just need to be driving slowly and communicating with each other or they'd just end up in stalemates all the time.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

shovelbum posted:

Guessing he does a few photoshoots in the shop there and has a team doing the actual builds? I have no idea how you'd grind or wire wheel for more than a few minutes without PPE and have it be tolerable regardless of safety from severe injury

Fruze makes the stuff himself with one other guy and they film sections to make the video. The bits where he's filming stuff tends to be him explaining what he did or is going to do with the odd action shot.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Werong Bustope posted:

I don't know much about the physics involved

Neither does Fruze or he wouldn't do the things he does like the Jet Powered Go Kart and wall of death made from old pallets.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guyver posted:

It is really hard to pick up a heavy stone with a straight back and squatting down. In fact if it's heavy enough it's impossible because you're trying to pick it up from such a poor mechanical position.

"lift with your legs" is bullshit and people should really stop repeating it.

??

https://i.imgur.com/YLlhiWZ.mp4

??

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guyver posted:

That is not a large rock, now post a gif of Eddie lifting an atlas stone.

Got Brian Shaw?

https://i.imgur.com/xWSTajD.mp4

Most of the lift is coming from his legs and for that inital bump up onto his knees he's keeping his back as straight as a 250kg weight will allow. He also wears a belt to stop his back exploding.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guyver posted:

Couple things. First is his back is in flexion then straightens it's hard to tell this because he's literally 450 lbs of mostly muscle. Second when people say "lift with your legs" they mean to remove the spinal loading, what do you think is holding that in place as he raises with his legs? Hint. It's not his arms. Lastly a lifting belt does nothing for spinal integrity it's for creating extra intra abdominal pressure.

Belts do increase intra abdominal pressure which has the effect of relieving pressure on the lower back and stabilising your spine. If you can't see what the dude in the video is doing poorly then I don't know what to tell you.

Are you posting on behalf of Big Chiropractory or something?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hmm remaking Staplerfahrer Klaus in the Found Footage style? Nice idea.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Nothing quite like doing FOD walkdown on the flight deck (or moving on the flight deck at night) and walking headfirst into a missile fin. Wear your cranials!

My dad worked on oil rigs for a bit and his worst thing to walk into was the wrong side of a temporary barrier, looking at the other side and seeing it was someone x-raying a weld. He'd gone for a wander round the rig and someone had only erected the barriers on one side and he'd just wandered in from the other side.

I grew up beside a major oil refinery and chemical plant so we got shown all sorts of health and safety videos, largely intended to keep us out of the plant, and the one about the guy who picked up the radioactive pellet has stayed with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

It's OSHA as gently caress because side windows are not windshields. Windshields are supposed to have objects bounce off like that and maintain integrity to protect the driver and passengers from objects flying into the cabin from the road. Windows are supposed to shatter into tiny non-sharp pieces so people can exit the vehicle quickly if the doors don't work for whatever reason.

As far as I can tell with Tesla's history of their cars catching fire the intention of this car is to trap people inside it then cremate them.