Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My wife needs some of these made up for her only instead of a chick in an apron with an iron its her with a sawzall because the number of times I've heard her say something like 'ya we needed to cut this rebar sticking out of a footing but it was under 18" of water so I just dunked the saw, whatever, its just a tickle and there's a ground on the plug' is loving terrifying.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

My wife needs some of these made up for her only instead of a chick in an apron with an iron its her with a sawzall because the number of times I've heard her say something like 'ya we needed to cut this rebar sticking out of a footing but it was under 18" of water so I just dunked the saw, whatever, its just a tickle and there's a ground on the plug' is loving cool as gently caress

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya she's all right.

Quote from this morning.

"I need to find pants that are less dirty.'

"Just to clarify, you don't mean actually clean, right?"

"Haha ya clean pants are a myth"

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Ya she's all right.

Quote from this morning.

"I need to find pants that are less dirty.'

"Just to clarify, you don't mean actually clean, right?"

"Haha ya clean pants are a myth"

I'm going to assume in this anecdote you mean american pants.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Umm ya. Ew to the other thought. Her jeans can stand up on their own now, not because of stank but because they're covered in so much PL they're now basically rubber.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

most times ive gotten rid of a laptop or storage in general it's always been a lot of fun to take it to a firing range. in college i had a friend who's family lived on a farm a few hours away and we decided to blow up an old pc with some tannerite

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

Straight up, Fiji tastes like poo poo, it's hose water from some island mafia consortium.

Smart Water and Dasani are the only ones in that lineup that taste fine.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Demineralised water (which is as "pure" as it can get) tastes like rear end and is also really bad for you.

If the water doesn't have those trace salts in it, it's actually ripping them out of the rest of your body, and you need those to live.

The Rubberband Man
Jul 21, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm pretty sure none of those brands are demineralized, they're closer to just being tap water, really.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

EvilJoven posted:

My wife needs some of these made up for her only instead of a chick in an apron with an iron its her with a sawzall because the number of times I've heard her say something like 'ya we needed to cut this rebar sticking out of a footing but it was under 18" of water so I just dunked the saw, whatever, its just a tickle and there's a ground on the plug' is loving terrifying.

:stare:

Gonna need some more stories about OSHAwife.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

:stare:

Gonna need some more stories about OSHAwife.

And fast before she dies!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Eh, there's not much to tell. Her site is generally safe, despite her breaking her wrist TWICE this year. First was because she just fell the gently caress down carrying a couple pails worth of tools, the second because a big rear end coring drill hit rebar and spun.

She's been on sites with some sketchy poo poo though. Never work alone. Someone from another crew went in to just finish up one little thing by himself. Four floors up. Alone. He was wearing his fall arrest gear so when he fell off the side of the building he didn't die, but he did dangle there for quite some time until someone noticed.

Aside from that it's all just making sure stuff is shored up, because especially if it rains, the side of an excavation can let go really loving quick. They've had a number of excavations just collapse but always when people were out of the hole and it's been covered up, nobody's been buried.

Closest call she's ever seen was working on a 17 story high rise. A slab of aluminum sheeting blew off the building and went hurtling to the ground, right where one of them was standing. Fortunately it was high enough he had a chance to GTFO when they yelled at him to move.

Now my dad, OTOH, worked for 30 years in mining and surface plants. He's almost died a handful of times. He's buried coworkers that didn't make it.

He worked for almost a decade in one of the plants that use nickel carbonyl

MSDS here

When I'm not busy, I'll post a few stories. Nickel carbonyl will gently caress you up.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 2, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm suddenly reminded of the time that someone in my company was working on cable lines in a bucket truck, and a disgruntled customer lowered the bucket and stole the van while he was clipped onto the lines, leaving him dangling.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

chitoryu12 posted:

Smart Water and Dasani are the only ones in that lineup that taste fine.

I find Evian just a little too sweet, don't you?

* desire to compare quality of business cards intensifies *

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Evian tastes like sulfur.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Jabor posted:

Demineralised water (which is as "pure" as it can get) tastes like rear end and is also really bad for you.

If the water doesn't have those trace salts in it, it's actually ripping them out of the rest of your body, and you need those to live.

I once brewed a pot of coffee with water from a filter/deionizer for forklift batteries and it foamed on my tongue like hydrogen peroxide and tasted like the color of a high-vis safety vest.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Most smart water have the minerals added back in though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I once brewed a pot of coffee with water from a filter/deionizer for forklift batteries and it foamed on my tongue like hydrogen peroxide and tasted like the color of a high-vis safety vest.

It has the electrolytes humans crave.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

klafbang posted:

It kind-of does, kind-of doesn’t at all.

When a SSD is erased, there is no residual left (unlike HDDs, hence why people overwrite data a number of times).

People overwrite data a number of times out of an abundance of caution. Nobody has ever demonstrated being able to recover data that's been overwritten even once. You can gesture mystically and say "Well the NSA can probably do it" if you want, but there's no evidence that's the case.

https://www.nber.org/sys-admin/overwritten-data-gutmann.html

With SSDs, you have to be more careful, because of overprovisioning. Overprovisioned data isn't accessible normally, so if you just overwrite your data there can be chunks of it left over that could be read directly off the chips themselves.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That's why you encrypt them at the device level and then just drop the key when you decommission.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Rubberband Man posted:

I'm pretty sure none of those brands are demineralized, they're closer to just being tap water, really.

Dasani and Aquafina and many other brands are literally just filtered tap water from whatever city the bottling plant is in.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Jet Jaguar posted:

Somebody tweeting about the tear gas in HK pointed out this article about the place that makes it.

Reminded me a little of the "decommissioning used fireworks in a cave" video.

Peak Murica! Paying your workers poo poo to work in unsafe conditions to make products authoritarians use to repress people.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Proteus Jones posted:

That's why you encrypt them at the device level and then just drop the key when you decommission.

That may not work either. Microsoft dropped Bitlocker support at the drive level just last week because some manufacturers weren't actually encrypting.

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1177429658259927040

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Pure water is a scam anyway, not only is it an acid it's got the highest pH of any acid

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Evilreaver posted:

Pure water is a scam anyway, not only is it an acid it's got the highest pH of any acid

I only drink fetid, putrid water with the smell of sulfur and visible chunks

Saves me a fortune

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

:zoid: It appears that this planet is overrun with these disgusting pink and brown creatures whose bodies are 60% ACID :zoid:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All bottled water is a scam

Oh look I have a faucet in my house that, when opened, instantly dispenses some of the cleanest, healthiest water the planet has ever known, at a cost of like $0.00017 per litre, and I turn my nose up at it because I dOn'T LiKe tHe tAsTe

Suck it up. Get a charcoal filter if you're a big baby

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Oh look I have a faucet in my house that, when opened, instantly dispenses some of the cleanest, healthiest water the planet has ever known, at a cost of like $0.00017 per litre, and I turn my nose up at it because I dOn'T LiKe tHe tAsTe

*Offer not available in all parts of the United States.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

My sincere condolences if you live in a place with gross tap water.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My city water sometimes has a strong garlicky smell when they're shocking the system so I switched to distilled water for drinking also for the cats and they stopped being so barfy.

I always muse about getting a water cooler and filling the jugs at my parents place out in the county because their well water tastes wonderful but is super hard so poo poo for showers and washing.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Don't drink distilled water, it's leaching the minerals out of your bones. Your skeleton is going to collapse like a bridge built with a higher sand-to-cement ratio than is recommended by the manufacturer

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RandomFerret posted:

Don't drink distilled water, it's leaching the minerals out of your bones. Your skeleton is going to collapse like a bridge built with a higher sand-to-cement ratio than is recommended by the manufacturer

It gives me ligher bones eventually I can fly like a bird and villain like mister glass

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
americans are already villains on a global scale so technically you're already there, buddy :)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

RandomFerret posted:

Fortunately, we can get minerals and other nutrients from the food we ingest. It all doesn't have to come from the water we drink.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sagebrush posted:

I don't like how the water in my town tastes (and it's super hard), but I run it through a Brita whose filter I probably should have changed three months ago and it's fine.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Dahir Insaat still updates but it's not as wild as the go go gadget light rail jumping over traffic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf0pYdCVRlg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FxI8rYOYBM

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

EvilJoven posted:

He worked for almost a decade in one of the plants that use nickel carbonyl

MSDS here

That stuff is so loving easy to create by accident in metals processing and it can kill you in a variety of ways.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just realized that because they took out all overhead signage to allow for the car slicer, literally every car will be in the wrong lane because they won't know where the gently caress they're going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sagebrush posted:

someone doesn't live in Flint