Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

That rushing sound in the video is the Liquefied natural gas venting into the atmosphere. While I love the concept of LNG, the practical application of it is limited by the fact that a car fire will literally cause the vehicle to loving explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

spud posted:

That's all!!?

You can get more than that sat at a desk doing software stuff.

I'd want around 10k a week to do that....one mistake and you are dead......DEAD! My rear end cheeks were clenched the entire video, and I am not even scared of heights. It's more the fact that if he slips, it's gameover.

Consider that he's also climbing in a very quick fashion. If you're a pathetic pussy safety conscious, you can also climb a few feet, hook in, climb a few feet, hook in, repeat ad nausem.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

you don't stop the fire truck. thats illegal

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

GirlBones posted:

It's true that MSHA are major sticklers but IIRC ~30 people died in mines in the US last year compared to like 1,000 in construction so...

For real. Any time someone bitches about OSHA being an example of onerous government regulation, its easy to think of all the million CSB investigations where One.Tiny.Thing ended up killing a whole bunch of people. Safety and safe practices are not obvious things - they're the result of a process of trail and error where people have gotten really hosed up/died.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Well, what would happen for the Hoover dam is that it would probably become a waterfall. The Quaga mussel, a non-native invasive would quickly block the pipes that lead to the turbines in the dam, meaning that for however long it would take Lake Mead to fill with water, there would be no water flowing through the dam.

Provided that there are no major failures upstream of the Hoover, the structural integrity of the dam means that it would probably last for at least two centuries while functioning as a waterfall. Eventually, natural erosion would compromise the structure of the dam and it would fail in tremendous fashion, doing some pretty incredible things as the entire stored energy of Lake Mead is suddenly released like an atom bomb.

But bits and pieces of Hoover would probably last for thousands for years.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

Eh she's got glasses on

You're actually supposed to wear safety glasses over your glasses, because normal glasses don't cover nearly enough to prevent little shards of metal from getting into your eye.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

The guy he landed on in this gif was temporarily paralyzed from the neck down and can barely walk. The dumbass who fell actually walked away from this, partly because the guy he landed on cushioned him so well. He then lost his job, got banned from the stadium for life, and got a 'minor' felony, a 1,200 dollar fine, and will definitely got sued into the dirt by the guy who's life he ruined with his stupidity.

Justice served.

OSHA/Crappy construction: A fire alarm in my apartment hallway started beeping last night at like 3 AM (why is it always super loving early in the morning when this happens). I got a stool, stood up and unscrewed from its ceiling mount to discover that the wires that it plugs into were totally stripped. So now I'm sitting here all pissed off and only slept 4 hours because some dumbass handyman booby trapped a loving fire alarm.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Sincerely,
    someone who wears size 13 clown shoes

I wear a size 16, story of my loving life. I've learned the best place the gets the most traction is generally is the forefoot, so you can to try to get as much of your toes onto stairs made for Chinese little feet women and grip with them.

I also have a really big :dong:

oohhboy posted:

It is also amazing the amount of sewer gas that accumulated there. Anyone heard where the manhole cover went?

The manhole cover that got shot out up at Escape velocity definitely made it to space, but it then fell back to Earth and probably burned up as it was falling.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

you irl posted:

wouldn't it burn up on the way out?

Considering it moving at no less six times the velocity necessary to leave Earth's gravity well, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that it vaporized in the atmosphere.

I like to believe to made it to space :colbert:.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I volunteer with a water quality monitoring organization. I didn't think it was possible to hurt yourself in our lab (unless you drank the really e.coli heavy samples after they had been in the oven all night).But one of the newer interns proved me wrong by giving herself a wicked sunburn with the UV lamp we use for e.coli testings. :negative:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I work a wildlands job that requires falling class A and occassionally class B sized trees. A being the smallest,C being the biggest, but sizewise getting an A sized tree felled on might only paralyze you for life, while getting a C felled on you would lead to a closed coffin funeral. Training for these things insures both the swamper is clear about where the tree is falling and the sawyer yells out what he's doing (eg 'First cut!' ).

So of course, my supervisor decides to put a chainsaw in the hands of a guy who has never used one before on Tuesday last week with the directions to only limb and chop already felled trees, so the people who know what they're doing can go fell trees. This is fine til after lunch, when dipshit decides he's going to fell a spike top. Spike tops are trees that, for one reason or another, have a dead barkless crown. What this means is that when they fall, the top end explodes like a fukken hand grenade, throwing shrapnel everywhere. Anyway, dude gets through the second cut, and kicks the wedge in to start falling the tree. His cuts have strategically been placed so this hand grenade falls into a burn pile (sticks and logs piled up for burning later).He kicks the wedge in, fells the tree. He didn't make any of the calls you need to make becquse he didn't want to attract the supers attention, so I look up to see a motherfucking class A coming out of the sky like 10 feet from me. The top ends lands in a burn pile, and throws sharp sticks in every goddamn direction, just missing me and one of my coworkers. I went over, took the chainsaw out of his hands and told(more like screamed in his face) him to let his swamper cut for the rest of the day. :cripes:

And then I went and smoked a cig because holy mother of fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Today I learned that a drip torch making a pinging sound means the fuel mixture inside has reached the ideal temperature to SPIT FIRE :science:

It actually means that when you pick your torch out of the burn pile you're trying to light up, you need to watch the gently caress out and tell other people to get the gently caress out of dodge.